Is it worth seeing if Antonio Williams should get a shot?

Lothar

I mean at this point our running game is pretty ineffective. And McDermott is pretty good about giving guys the hook if they aren't producing. Maybe choose between Singletary and Moss as the 3rd down back and give Williams a shot. He's bigger and can't be much worse at this point. Our OL is what it is.

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seem to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

Edited by Lothar
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1

Little faith that this coaching staff actually tries anything different. They’ll wait until we play some also-ran or a beat-up team like Nawlins and believe that things are fixed.

AW’s play against Myyami in the final game last season was fairly impressive but take it for what it’s worth and also don’t expect them to give up on their 3rd round picks — Beane / McD have to give more chances to prove themselves right, just like the Cody Ford experience of hammering a square peg into a round hole.

• Agree 1

Last week NE allows 270 yards rushing to guys TN picked up off of the street.

Last night NE runs for over 200 with a couple RB's who'd look like trash if they were running behind the Bills OL.

Today some Bills fans are blaming RB's for the team's lack of a consistent running game.:doh:

It's not like this is happening in the NFC west...........these are teams that the Bills are competing for playoff position with that are putting up big yardage numbers without talented RB's.    

Dumbest response ever is to use a high pick on a RB to address the issue.

Some knucklehead was lamenting not trading up for Najee Harris..........the dude's running for a pathetic 3.6 ypc on the season.    

Give it up already,   the jury weighed in and went home like 20 years ago.   Block it up and the yards will come.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Absolutely. Do I see them doing it? No. Something about the process involves McDermott not playing with the lineup regardless of how bad they're playing. Especially when it comes to Devin Singletary.

Past couple weeks I've been watching Devonta Freeman and he looks light years ahead of Singletary. Makes me wonder what would have happened if we would have used him in the Playoffs last year. Maybe we'd still have him instead of him tearing it up for Baltimore right now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Guarantee McD wants a RB in the first come April…. 

Totally, the wrong call!

We ain’t in 1960 anymore! Get an even bigger, faster WR or TE or both. The idea is not to slow Allen down with running trash when he’s putting up 30-40 passes.

RBs are for screens and none of these has been worth a damn! Let alone, a Draft pick.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Guarantee McD wants a RB in the first come April…. 

I think he knows it's the offensive line.

There is more top end OL talent coming out than top end RB talent as well so that is probably for the best to help prevent something regrettable like drafting a RB in round 1.

I see them making their biggest FA focus adding a very good offensive guard.   And tend to expect an offensive tackle in round one and Dawkins being kicked inside.    No question they need better results from their coaching and they need to find more talent later like they did with Teller.    

If McD chooses to shake up the OC and OLC positions he should be able to pull some decent talent because he is pretty secure in his position and has the elite QB to make good coaches look great, IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

The offense needs to stop chasing something they are not.  Look at the defense, find matchups or schemes you can exploit, and attack.  That means throw it 59 times throw it.  Running to run on first down needs to stop.  They cant change anything now.  Dance with who you took to prom and figure the rest out later.  

• Agree 1

As far as I can see the RBs aren’t missing the holes, there aren’t many holes to hit. The growing legend of Antonio isn’t going to solve that problem. 

We’re not a championship caliber team right now. Plays have been there to be made but we haven’t made them.

We’re a finesse team that lacks explosion. Working #5 into the offense is probably a better option at this point. His speed could be a game changer. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Last night NE runs for over 200 with a couple RB's who'd look like trash if they were running behind the Bills OL.

Today some Bills fans are blaming RB's for the team's lack of a consistent running game.:doh:

It's not like this is happening in the NFC west...........these are teams that the Bills are competing for playoff position with that are putting up big yardage numbers without talented RB's.    

Some knucklehead was lamenting not trading up for Najee Harris..........the dude's running for a pathetic 3.6 ypc on the season.    

Give it up already,   the jury weighed in and went home like 20 years ago.   Block it up and the yards will come.

Difference between advocating for a 1st round RB and advocating for anybody else… after Moss decided to forego a potential go-ahead TD in favor of running into a wall for a yard, I’m open to anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Difference between advocating for a 1st round RB and advocating for anybody else… after Moss decided to forego a potential go-ahead TD in favor of running into a wall for a yard, I’m open to anything. 

Other teams runnin' bax miss holes all the time too.

Behind a good run blocking line, where the hole will be is often a pre-snap read for a RB...........for the Bills,  it's all post snap because they rarely execute their assignments as they are drawn up.

Moss is too slow for outside zone for me.    I wouldn't have him out there.   Singletary is clearly their best back.   Breida is the most explosive but it's now abundantly clear why he was available so cheap in UFA.   He's really dumb.   One mental error after the next.   That's why he's bounced around and played sparingly in Miami and Buffalo despite that talent.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Other teams runnin' bax miss holes all the time too.

Behind a good run blocking line, where the hole will be is often a pre-snap read for a RB...........for the Bills,  it's all post snap because they rarely execute their assignments as they are drawn up.

Moss is too slow for outside zone for me.    I wouldn't have him out there.   Singletary is clearly their best back.   Breida is the most explosive but it's now abundantly clear why he was available so cheap in UFA.   He's really dumb.   One mental error after the next.   That's why he's bounced around and played sparingly in Miami and Buffalo despite that talent.  

Calling Devin our best back is like saying he's the most fragrant turd. All 3 are gone next year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

One thing this regime has proven is they are sub par talent evaluators 

People seriously need to get out of their feelings I know we just lost an important game but come on man

Playoffs every year except for one AFC championship last year poor talent evaluators do not put teams on the field that win and we have won

Beane and McDermott have a literally changed the culture of this team

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I see your Antonio Williams, and raise you a Christian Wade.

Is it finally the time? CW 🤣

Oh, wait, the NFL has blocked his video, and his availability .... Messing with the Bills once again. 🤪 🤷‍♂️ 🥵

Edited by CSBill

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

People seriously need to get out of their feelings I know we just lost an important game but come on man

Playoffs every year except for one AFC championship last year poor talent evaluators do not put teams on the field that win and we have won

Beane and McDermott have a literally changed the culture of this team

Cool, can we fire them and bring in Vrabel ? 

What I liked about Antonio Williams last year was that in his limited role, albeit against a highly ranked Miami Defense, he ran with violence. He ran with tenacity the other RBs in our group don't truly possess. There are times it seems like Motor has this in him, but not consistently and while I applaud the effort - Williams just seems to have it naturally. Honestly, not so much the speed or overall talent, but the style of running reminds me of Adrian Peterson or Chris Ivory in terms of just the passion to hit people while running. 

I'd sit Motor, put Breida for speed, Moss for balance and Williams to be the lead back against Tampa. But, that's just because I think there's a gem waiting to be revealed in Tone Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I would send a message to the entire RB room and start Williams this week. I think you can really change the tone of the offense if you brought in new blood here and the kid runs hard. I would really be excited about seeing him get the majority of the carries the next few games. How can it possibly be worse?

hmmm,,, yeah, maybe.  pretty raw guy, but hey might be worth a try.   he was pretty dynamic against a good Miami defense.   RBs are pretty much interchangeable, unless they have a fumbling problem.  I like it

10 hours ago, Lothar said:

I mean at this point our running game is pretty ineffective. And McDermott is pretty good about giving guys the hook if they aren't producing. Maybe choose between Singletary and Moss as the 3rd down back and give Williams a shot. He's bigger and can't be much worse at this point. Our OL is what it is.

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seen to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

You buried the lede.  I'm not saying that Motor/Moss/Breida have been great by any means and they certainly haven't really helped themselves, but short of Derrick Henry, no back is going to perform well behind the run blocking of this OL.  They have been absolutely dreadful.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This. Most people don't have a clue what they're talking about

Edited by motorj
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Didn't he get a chance in the pre-season? I think he had some ball security issues.

Well Breida attempted to take a handoff without using his hands, so...

In all seriousness, just give me a RB that falls forward.  That's all I want at this point.  We know our running game, outside Allen, is what it is... Just give us 2nd and 8 instead of 2nd and 10. 

I think they need to start Williams at this point. The offense needs to be shaken up, it’s been 8 weeks of up and down productivity and we are getting to the point where we can’t lose another game. I think we know what we have in Moss and Singleterry right now, and it’s not good enough. He played well in the last week of last season against Miami. Could be his only shot at ever a chance in the NFL, I think you’ll see him run with determination to prove himself. Literally, what is the worst that can happen!? If he stinks it up, don’t start him the following week. But at this point I’m open for anything 

12 hours ago, Lothar said:

Otherwise the running option changes we could try seen to be limited to more jet sweeps - or the threat of jet sweeps - at least a half dozen times a game with McKenzie or Breida.

I have thought that for over a year.  What can it hurt?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.