Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

Do what you are good at, don't force yourself to be a different team.

Last year Josh was injured in the first game with his shoulder, the second game Beasley and Diggs were both injured.

This season not only are they all healthy but the Defense is leaps and bounds better. 

KC the only difference is the defense got much worse.

This game wont be as scary as many here think but the Bills should run away with it. This might be a Seahawks 2020 type game, that is how bad this defense is for KC.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, uninja said:

The Bills (almost literally) limped into that game. No real running game, Zack Moss on IR, Diggs, Beasley and Davis hobbling around and getting pushed around by KC's DBs. In our first matchup we had equal  issues. No Milano, weak DL, White coming off a back injury, Edmunds playing with a bum shoulder, Brown basically being a decoy/non-factor.

Just wish we could play them at relatively good or full strength to get a real read. Feel like our last 2 matchups have been played with one hand tied behind our back.

Fair point. However, I believe the Chiefs had significant injuries as  well. 

The Bills coaching staff should have plenty of tape via the Tampa, Balt, and Charger games to have a solid game plan. It won't be easy in Arrowhead against a semi desperate team that needs to win. Pretty surprised the Chiefs are only 2.5 point favorites. I think the line should be 4.5 to 5 points. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billieve420 said:

KC D is bad. I would focus on establishing the run and controlling time of possession. Mix in play action to keep them off balance. When KC is on offense I am going to bracket cover both Hill and Kelce. Force the other guys to beat you.

I think that's much easier said than done. I don't disagree with your thesis. The run game will open the passing game for Allen. 

Not sure what " bracket cover" is. Certainly, Kelce has killed the Bills. I'm not sure the Bills have the personnel to stop him. Also, it seems like the Bills D will have to choose Hill or Kelce to double. Not sure you can do both. Kinda pick your poison. Can the Bills pass rush disrupt Mahomes?  Additionally, CEH has been heavily involved in their offense. He is a real threat. 

Lastly, a big key to the game is the Bills Oline. Allen was running for his life in last year's games. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

44 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Last year Josh was injured in the first game with his shoulder, the second game Beasley and Diggs were both injured.

This season not only are they all healthy but the Defense is leaps and bounds better. 

This game wont be as scary as many here think but the Bills should run away with it. This might be a Seahawks 2020 type game, that is how bad this defense is for KC.

Love the optimism but the Bills are not winning in a blowout against the Chiefs especially at Arrowhead. KC is probably going to score a lot. My guess is a 38-35 or 35-31 type of game. The Bills can win it but it will be a hard fought game.

• Haha (+1) 1

My biggest concern heading into this game is Brian Daboll to be honest. This seems like the type of game that the only running plays he dials up is the Allen QB draw for 2 yards a pop. Tries to be too clever with his formations as well. 

If he can resist his temptation for trickery and call a balanced and smart game we should be in good shape against that defense.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I agree.  I said right when the schedule came out, we’ll go 1-1 in this little two-game stretch.  I think we win this one mostly for the reasons you mentioned, then lose to Tennessee next Monday in a little bit of a “trap” game (I know, I know, their defense isn’t that good either).

The Bills D is playing top 5 good  and the Chefs are ranked 31st in D.

I think the Bills should use a ball control offence that keeps the ball out of Mahomeee's hands.

You don't need to defend against their top players if they are not on field.

As Oldmanfan and Hank Stram love to say "lets matriculate the ball down the field" ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Mahomes was injured the game before playing against us and still lit us up. He had a toe injury. Still scrambled and avoided our rush like little kids playing tag chasing a grown man. They couldn't touch him. The biggest difference between this year and last is our defense is way better. 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I agree.  I said right when the schedule came out, we’ll go 1-1 in this little two-game stretch.  I think we win this one mostly for the reasons you mentioned, then lose to Tennessee next Monday in a little bit of a “trap” game (I know, I know, their defense isn’t that good either).

I think the Steelers game was a perfect way for this team to start the season. 
KC is going to be a tough matchup for sure, but the Bills can win. This game is more mental for Buffalo. The Bills have the more complete talented roster. That’s a fact.

Unless the Bills are really banged up for the Tenn game, they aren’t losing to those guys. After last year’s loss, the Bills want to whoop the Titans and the Bills have the players to do it. Just keep playing the little Tanny skip into the end zone and the Henry stiff arm for the D. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They did have significant injuries…. Apparently that doesn’t matter though. Only the Bills injuries matter.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m not familiar with who was hurt for KC. 

Any names? 

8 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I want this win more than anything, especially to see the look on Nick Wrights stupid face when it's over. 

Same here. To me the Bills get this game then they have a very good chance to be the #1 seed. To be off on WC weekend as well as have just 2 games in OP to get to the Super Bowl would be huge. Of course we still have a long way to go and a lot of regular season football to be played but this game is huge for potential seeding.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, billieve420 said:

KC D is bad. I would focus on establishing the run and controlling time of possession. Mix in play action to keep them off balance. When KC is on offense I am going to bracket cover both Hill and Kelce. Force the other guys to beat you.

You can't really bracket both you got to pick your poison. And I say we put our foot on the gas and go there's no point changing up who we are for this game. Go 10 or 11 personnel the whole game even when we're up by 30.

Edited by r00tabaga

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

I want this win more than anything, especially to see the look on Nick Wrights stupid face when it's over. 

Stop paying attention to him. He’s playing a role. The more you guys Feed into this stuff the more it plays to he and ESPNs favor. 

Edited by Jpsredemption
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think what Buffalo didnt do and hasnt done.  They have to press Kelce at the line.  What I liked was what Baltimore did with Oweh.  

He got his hands on him and once Kelce got the release Oweh spied Mahomes. I would do the same thing with Hughes or Rousseau.  Preferably Hughes.  His rush arc plays right into what Mahomes likes to do.  Move up escape throw.  

Keep Mahomes in the pocket. Have someone waiting on him when he gets out.  Rush 3 to 4.  Bring the 4 or 5th rusher late.  Short zone defenders need to attack Mahomes once he breaks Contain.  He is looking for 50 not 5.  Imo give him the 5.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Same here. To me the Bills get this game then they have a very good chance to be the #1 seed. To be off on WC weekend as well as have just 2 games in OP to get to the Super Bowl would be huge. Of course we still have a long way to go and a lot of regular season football to be played but this game is huge for potential seeding.

this and the Tampa game are really the only two that make me go “Bills need to be fining on nearly all cylinders in order to win” left on our schedule, to be honest.

1 hour ago, dje85 said:

Mahomes was injured the game before playing against us and still lit us up. He had a toe injury. Still scrambled and avoided our rush like little kids playing tag chasing a grown man. They couldn't touch him. The biggest difference between this year and last is our defense is way better. 

His little toe lol

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Feliciano gets to see his dad Chris Jones again. I’m sure he’s excited. 😆

Not sure he will even play. McDermott said they are rolling out the same 5 from Sunday.  He could play though if Spencer brown is out and they need to reshuffle back to the old lineup. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Stop paying attention to him. He’s playing a role. The more you guys Feed into this stuff the more it plays to he and ESPNs favor. 

Bingo. In fact Wright has two very different descriptions of the Bills and Allen depending on what he's speaking about.  When it's the Chiefs versus the Bills head to head, the Chiefs rule and Allen sucks.  But whenever I've heard him talk about the AFC or the state of the QB's in the AFC, he always says the Bills are top 3 team and Allen is top 3 QB in the conference.

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

this and the Tampa game are really the only two that make me go “Bills need to be fining on nearly all cylinders in order to win” left on our schedule, to be honest.

They should win most of the games on their schedule but upsets do happen. You might laugh at this but the games against the Jets make me a little nervous. Yes the Bills are much better but the Jets seem match up well with the Bills and put up a good fight. Last year 27-17 and 18-10 were the scores and that was with dumbass Gase coaching them. 

30 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

This. When you start paying attention to clickbait, it feeds the trolls. That Wright guy reminds me of someone who was a multi-sport scorekeeper in high school. Crappy athlete, couldn’t make any team, but wanted any iota of power the school would give him in athletics. Not worth the time.

Kelce's super strong. And just move him a yard in the backfield. TE's don't run much timing routes. Usually they're the check down or outlet. Lead your coverage into a big mess, then run away from it. It's going to be matchups. Edmunds v. Kelce. White v. Hill. Hyde v. Mahomes. Star and Milano vs. the running game. Oliver, Epnesa, and a limping Rousseau vs the Oline. Then there's Harmon who still remembers that dropped punt in the AFC championship and is still going to be angry. And Andy Reid, who's going to do stuff like QB draw shovel pass, and direct snap HB pass with Kelce to Mahomes.

The crowd's going to be awful. Probably the story of the game. When's the last time the Bills faced a crowd like this? Houston wildcard? @NE when they won the division? Unless Allen opens on fire, which he hasn't yet, and McD has a lot of new solid stuff, identity things that move the league, 41-3, and I'm happy if they rebound. KC has a tough division this year. They may not win it. Plus there's a lot of other teams in the AFC that are as dangerous.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure he will even play. McDermott said they are rolling out the same 5 from Sunday.  He could play though if Spencer brown is out and they need to reshuffle back to the old lineup. 

It sounded like to me that Feliciano was benched as well.

Interior offensive line is probably going to be our focus in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo. In fact Wright has two very different descriptions of the Bills and Allen depending on what he's speaking about.  When it's the Chiefs versus the Bills head to head, the Chiefs rule and Allen sucks.  But whenever I've heard him talk about the AFC or the state of the QB's in the AFC, he always says the Bills are top 3 team and Allen is top 3 QB in the conference.

Stop it.  Nick has never talked good about Allen.  Buffalo shouldnt have paid him.  He is behind Baker.  Every game this year he picked against Buffalo or had them on possible upset.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It sounded like to me that Feliciano was benched as well.

Interior offensive line is probably going to be our focus in the offseason.

If Brown plays, they will stick with boettger and DW at guard according to what McDermott said Monday . If he doesn’t, they would need to move DW back to RT and then Feliciano could potentially play at one of the guard spots (assuming he is out of concussion protocol). 

• Agree 1

Wasn't so sure this deserved its own thread, so I'll just post it here.

Bills are still one of top teams in the league in 4th down decision making.

In fact, this chart tracks all the way back to 2017, and I feel their 4th down decision making has gotten much better the last couple of seasons. I'd be willing to be they'd be ranked even higher than the 6th spot if the chart only went back as far as 2019 rather than 2017. 

Screenshot-192-1024x574.png

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If Brown plays, they will stick with boettger and DW at guard according to what McDermott said Monday . If he doesn’t, they would need to move DW back to RT and then Feliciano could potentially play at one of the guard spots (assuming he is out of concussion protocol). 

Not saying you are wrong.  But I didn't interpret Coach's comments that way.  

Thought his comment implied if the same group was available, then that is thr starting 5.  First need to see if Feliciano is cleared, but I think he slides back into the LG role.

20 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I know this wouldn't happen but I'd wave bye to Breida.

It’s a 17 game season, plus playoffs.  

I think you have to keep Breida.  

He’s decent and Allen has familiarity with him now.  Chances are we’ll have a game or two where Moss or Singletary can’t go.  

One guy runs with reckless abandon and the other is a quick twitch runner.  That lends itself to getting dinged up over time and a potential hammy pull. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Their starting LB Gay, Watkins,and Fenton we’re out.  Breeland, CEH, and Mahomes were all banged up entering the game…. And they lost their starting LT during the game…. Which as we all know resulted in them shuffling their offensive line for the SB and getting their doors blasted off.

Fenton played and had an interception… but yeah they were banged up too. 

Not sure anyone had something as severe as a broken leg or torn oblique (only know that because of the reports about the Bills after the season) but everyone is playing banged up… it’s not really a great excuse. 

I don’t know why you’re giving me attitude like it was my narrative I was trying to push? I was just asking for clarification. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.