Per Nick Wright: Bills will be a fringe contender.

Leonitas

I actually just heard his explanation for the Bills and the Titans (I'd only seen the segment with Cowherd originally now watched the actual bit) which essentially is rosters very similar to last year and they have both had a couple of shots at the Chiefs and can't get it done and the road in the AFC goes through Kansas City. You know I don't think that is a totally ridiculous argument. Feels a bit like he was looking for a way to get to that answer but there is something in that. The Browns at least on paper got closer last year and then upgraded their roster (again, on paper) more than any team in the AFC. 

Doesn't mean I agree with him, I think Cowherd's tiers are much closer to mine (except he is too high on Indy) but I don't quite think it is as crazy as I did before. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can really argue this. They do essentially have the same roster with some added rookies and got their doors blown off by the Chiefs in both games.

Yea having watched his explanation I do see what the basis for his opinion is. I still disagree but he does at least have an arguable case.

Nick Wright has a Tom Brady accessory for a nose and a face i'd like to punch.  He presents like his Mahomes/Chiefs ballwashing takes matter, but they don't.  He's consistently proven wrong. 

This guy is Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless' special-ed love child when it comes to knowing anything. Just as boisterous as those two clowns,  but with less knowledge and more homerism.

22 hours ago, Success said:

I appreciate the response & agree - but have to take issue with your characterization of Wright as a "reporter."  

Sadly, Bayless is the guy that people now aspire to be.  Make millions by trolling.

Bayless is a strange one. I've only seen a few clips of him but the guy seems to have checked out, like he clearly does zero research unless it's about the Cowboys or the Jets or one of those other teams the media loves.  

He did a bit last season about Allen not being as good as Baker and it was obvious the guy knew nothing about Allen and had probably only seen him play a couple of times. It's staggering that he makes so much money

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually just heard his explanation for the Bills and the Titans (I'd only seen the segment with Cowherd originally now watched the actual bit) which essentially is rosters very similar to last year and they have both had a couple of shots at the Chiefs and can't get it done and the road in the AFC goes through Kansas City. You know I don't think that is a totally ridiculous argument. Feels a bit like he was looking for a way to get to that answer but there is something in that. The Browns at least on paper got closer last year and then upgraded their roster (again, on paper) more than any team in the AFC. 

Doesn't mean I agree with him, I think Cowherd's tiers are much closer to mine (except he is too high on Indy) but I don't quite think it is as crazy as I did before. 

So, uh, what's his explanation for putting the SB Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers a tier below GB and on a par with the Rams and SF?

Never mind, I actually don't care.

Fortunately for all concerned, football games are played on Sunday and occasionally other days of the week, not on paper.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t at all disagree that the Browns and Packers will prove to be in the upper tier of the league…. Disagree with him that the Bills, and Bucs shouldn’t be there too.

KC is in a class of its own.

Please.  They just came off a SB in which they lost 31-9.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I've seen that jackass's pathetic act on TV before- no thanks to clicking.  I have better things to do.  I don't give two ***** what Nick whatever thinks

Is this the one who sounds like a woman?  The name rings a bell.  Enough of a bell to not give him any clicks.

I think this teams floor is 10 wins assuming things go really bad (i.e many key injuries, other teams like the Pats being much better than expected, etc). So if that's the definition of a 'fringe' contender so be it.

Other than that It's hard to disagree with the two AFC teams he has above the Bills. Chiefs are who they are until proven otherwise and the Browns on paper have the best roster in the conference, if not entire league.

Well Nick also thinks Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs are going to 15 straight Super Bowls.

He’s said routinely that nobody in the AFC can beat Mahomes, which means he’s going to every Super Bowl from here and out.

Also, he loves the Browns and so they’ve passed the Bills in his mind, and Lamar is better than Allen, so the Ravens are also better. 

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well Nick also thinks Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs are going to 15 straight Super Bowls.

He’s said routinely that nobody in the AFC can beat Mahomes, which means he’s going to every Super Bowl from here and out.

Also, he loves the Browns and so they’ve passed the Bills in his mind, and Lamar is better than Allen, so the Ravens are also better. 

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think this teams floor is 10 wins assuming things go really bad (i.e many key injuries, other teams like the Pats being much better than expected, etc). So if that's the definition of a 'fringe' contender so be it.

Other than that It's hard to disagree with the two AFC teams he has above the Bills. Chiefs are who they are until proven otherwise and the Browns on paper have the best roster in the conference, if not entire league.

I look at it like, they have a shot every year because they have a QB.  It's why the playoff teams that were always there, always made it.  Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson (to a lesser extent Eli and Big Ben). I know Brees missed a couple of times, and obviously injury years.  But those guys win you close games more than they lose you close games, and thats big in a short season.  

They didn't win all the super bowls either, but they were in the mix like every single year.  Sometimes things bounce your way and sometimes they don't, but you can't win if you aren't there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

In which their entire offensive line was decimated…

Do you make similar excuses for the Bills losing the AFCCG "in which their entire WR corps was hampered by injuries?"

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Bill fans starting sound like Pats fans e Brady. Looking at anything for a possible slight or insult of your team. Lol Pats fan lived off of first takes saying Brady was gonna “Fall off a cliff” for almost a decade lol

Welp, then.   I'll take a decade of that kind of success!  :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It wasn't. 

After the Bills-Colts game, for example, he said we didn't win it, the Colts lost it (like the Bills had nothing to do with the Colts losing it)

It wasn't like the Colts committed a bunch of unforced errors - penalties or fumbles or interceptions. 

The Bills just stopped them when they needed to, on 3rd down and 4th down and short of the goal line.  When someone who knows football watches those plays, they're rock-solid defensive plays.

And the Bills moved the ball to get out of trouble when they needed to - it wasn't like the Colts were fooled or out of position, Josh Allen was making big-time throws and his WR were making big time catches.

KC is a very good team and deserves to be at the top of the tier.

But putting GB and the Browns above Tampa Bay, then putting the Bills in a 4th tier, is just clickbait crap.

The Browns are a better team than the Ravens, Titans, and Bills in the AFC when they prove they are.

You could argue for GB being good and having gotten a raw deal with penalties etc in the NFCCG, but they're a better team than Tampa when they prove they are.

And don't forget that Fumble recovery by Milano that got called back! They deserved to lose that game as they had every chance to take it. 

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea it clearly had a gigantic impact on their offense in the championship game…. But they also struggled offensively in the first match up with a healthy crew…. And the Chiefs took their defense to the woodshed in both games. 

One more time....the first match up with KC:

Allen was playing in a linebacker brace. 

Brown was playing injured - he had been out the week before, he was out the week afterwards, and he was Q for the game. 

Knox was out - he may not be "all that" but at TE he is our starter

Feliciano was still on IR

Ford was Q the previous week and played (but was clearly hampered) against Tenn and KC before going out for the next 2 games

Milano was returning too soon from a torn pec, playing with a linebacker brace, and struggling to tackle

Tre' White had been out the previous week, was Q for the game

Levi Wallace was on IR

TBH, I think all the injuries we had in that first game kind of worked against us because I think they lulled the coaches into a mindset that we would have done better if we had all our guys closer to full health, so they may not have focused on needing a different approach.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brown was playing injured - he had been out the week before, he was out the week afterwards, and he was Q for the game. 

Ford was Q the previous week and played (but was clearly hampered) against Tenn and KC before going out for the next 2 games

Milano was returning too soon from a torn pec, playing with a linebacker brace, and struggling to tackle

Levi Wallace was on IR

Yet they were absolutely annihilated the next time they played KC, in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Levi Wallace was on IR

They also had 2 more days to rest and prepare.

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel that we're looping here.  Perhaps read a sequence of posts?

Not sure of your point. You seemed to be justifying the first loss based on injuries, etc., but the specific post I responded to made no mention of the blowout second loss. Am I missing something? And btw KC had significant injuries in that playoff game (i.e., missing their RT). The Bills still couldn’t pressure Mahomes even though Cleveland and Tampa did. It’s why the Bills spent their first two picks on DEs.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not sure of your point. You seemed to be justifying the first loss based on injuries, etc., but the specific post I responded to made no mention of the blowout second loss. Am I missing something?

Yeah, it started out with the blowout second loss.

If you care, look up thread starting here

Prolly not worth it

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it started out with the blowout second loss.

If you care, look up thread starting here

Prolly not worth it

Ehh … I skipped over that stuff because I could care less about that guy (like, at all). I do care about your take, though, so I focused on the later stuff in the thread.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.