Sports Illustrated Predicts Every Game

SI has an article predicting every regular season game and team W/L record. They have the Bills at 12-5 (a bit low IMHO, but OK) with losses to (and here's where it gets funny):

KC, Miami, Jets ad swept by New England

Hey, the Bills could go 12-5 and I can see losing a letdown game to a team you should kill, but not 4 of them to weaker AFC East opponents. Baring major injuries/covid there's just no way that happens.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/26/predicting-every-game-2021-nfl-season

Edited by The Avenger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

SI has an article predicting every regular season game and team W/L record. They have the Bills at 12-5 9a bit low IMHO, but OK) with losses to (and here's where it gets funny):

Hey, the Bills could go 12-5 and I can see losing a letdown game to a team you should kill, but not 4 of them to weaker AFC East opponents. Baring major injuries/covid there's just no way that happens.

NE sure gets a ton of credit with BB in charge. We blew their doors off last year and this year, we will get swept?? Dumb.

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Giants winning NFC Eastdivision also seems off.

Yeah, that is nuts unless Jones and Barkley have absurd seasons. I think Washington is the clear favorite because the Cowboys always blow it and Fitz + that defense with Riverboat Ron in charge, will play well.

• Agree 1

SI has barely been about actual sports in a long long time.  Keep that in mind when they briefly revisit sports.  This article was probably some summer intern's capstone project with someone else's name on it

• Agree 2

2-4 in the AFCE, but still WIN the AFCE? Idiots. We may lose 5 games, but 4 of them won't be in our division. The toss-ups in my mind are as follows:

Week 1 vs Pittsburgh - That first game is usually a mixed bag. Just hope we come out on top. 

Week 3 vs Washington - That WFT defense is legit. I want a W, but more so that Josh makes it out 100% healthy. 

Week 5 @ KC - They are the bullies that constantly steal our lunch money at this point. We need to get over this hump.

Week 6 @ Tennessee - Something about them with Tannehill at the helm has been an enigma. 

***Can you imagine the sports media and the implosion on this board if we started out 2-4 heading into the Bye Week?***

Week 16 @ NE - This game is where we may lose our 1st divisional game imo. 

Honestly I think we end up 13-4 or 14-3 barring injury to key players. 

30 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

SI has an article predicting every regular season game and team W/L record. They have the Bills at 12-5 9a bit low IMHO, but OK) with losses to (and here's where it gets funny):

When was the last time a team went 2-4 in their division and won 12 games...?

Something doesn't add up.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

I saw this earlier, and why I don't necessarily disagree with the final record per se...it's hard to imagine going 2-4 in division play after being so dominant last season.

I will say this about the NE sweep prediction, don't be shocked if that does happen because again contrary to popular belief Belichik is still the best coach in the league and will find a way to be in the playoff/division title picture this year regardless of their current QB situation. Even with marginally better QB play than last year they will win at least 10 games, if they somehow get above average to great QB play they are probably a 13 win team and SB favorite.

• Disagree 2

While I dont think they will sweep us, the Patriots will be better than last year. Some big time players opted out last year and will be back.

Let's be real, we barely got out of that first game, and if it wasnt for a fluke fumble, could have easily let that one get away. I can see us splitting with them.

But 2-4 in the division is ridiculous. More like 4-2 at worst.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While I dont think they will sweep us, the Patriots will be better than last year. Some big time players opted out last year and will be back.

Let's be real, we barely got out of that first game, and if it wasnt for a fluke fumble, could have easily let that one get away. I can see us splitting with them.

This is my thoughts as well, yes Brady is gone but it's foolish for any Bills fan to disregard a team and coach that has ate our lunch the greater part of the last two decades even when we had decent teams.

The key is the Pats defense......they should be ridiculously good similar to their first 3 SB run circa 2001 - 2004 when Brady wasn't even putting up ridiculous numbers or carrying the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While the fumble was definitely fortuitous, I personally wouldn't call it a fluke.  Zimmer clearly was going to punch the ball out (obviously doesn't always work).  Plus I do think Josh's shoulder injury and the crazy weather played a part in that game (to be fair Cam's prior illness probably did too).  I agree overall though.  I can see a split, but being swept by NE would honestly shock me (barring injuries).

• Like (+1) 1

So most of the losses come against the easier teams we face. That would be strange.

And they think the Patriots will sweep the division and finish 2nd in the AFC East. That's really strange.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t think SI is giving any respect to our defense in their conclusions. Defensive front in particular. It seems to me that they think teams will run the ball against them to keep offense off the field. Think teams like KC will outscore them due to no pass rush. I think the depth and rotation of players will shock league and the Bills will have top 5 defense in the league, barring injury

In addition to the other craziness referenced above related to their prediction ... they had us winning 7 games last year - so I would not put money on their predictions.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/02/every-team-season-record-predictions

AFC EAST

New England Patriots: 10–6
Miami Dolphins: 8–8
Buffalo Bills: 7–9
New York Jets: 6–10

I’m not sure what to make of my bullishness on Miami, honestly. The offensive line worries me, and the team doesn’t have an A-plus blocking tight end to make up for any of the deficiencies. This is most certainly a work in progress. However, the Dolphins are solid through the middle of the defense and will be able to handle well what most of the offenses in the division do best. And their cornerback play on paper (the kind of paper that doesn’t include advanced coverage stats from 2019) should be superb. With the emergence of Brian Flores, I think the AFC East is the healthiest it’s been as a division in years. That doesn’t mean New England will falter. It does mean that some strange things will happen, though. For example: I have the Jets splitting season series with the Bills and Patriots. I think we’ll see more splits than we have in years past with the pole position leader making up the difference on the out-of-conference schedule. I imagine Buffalo burning as I type this. I imagine my seat near the bar at Bar-Bill Tavern being roped off and I imagine Big Ditch Brewing Co. refusing to serve me any more (what a nightmare). What I don’t like for Buffalo is how their schedule dovetails into some pretty gnarly stretches, like Weeks 3-6 (Rams, at Raiders, at Titans, at Chiefs) then Weeks 8-14 (Patriots, Seahawks, at Cardinals, Chargers, at 49ers, Steelers). Those could be the kind of uphill climbs that blow up a season quickly.

• Haha (+1) 1

2-4 in the division? I like to temper my expectations but that’s not happening. McDermott puts way too much emphasis and importance on division games for them to slog through like that and go 2-4. 

Jets cans go 0-17 for all I care. Buncha bums.

Miami has a QB problem and the Bills beat them by like 30 last year when Miami was fighting for a playoff spot. And reports out of NE are that Cam looks just as shot as he has the last few seasons. Mac Jones…meh.

12-5 seems reasonable. Even 11-6 wouldn't surprise me. Team progression is not linear. Also, as we have seen this week, COVID can strike at any time.

If we lose 5 or 6 games, though, here's what I'd see them being:

Pitt, KC, NE (let's not just all of the sudden assume we're going to sweep them every year. Belichick is still the coach. The defense looks much improved), Bucs, Saints.

Those would be my five presumed losses. NYJ? Miami? Please.

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

SI has an article predicting every regular season game and team W/L record. They have the Bills at 12-5 (a bit low IMHO, but OK) with losses to (and here's where it gets funny):

So we lose 50% of the division games but still win said division....sure.

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

SI has barely been about actual sports in a long long time.  Keep that in mind when they briefly revisit sports.  This article was probably some summer intern's capstone project with someone else's name on it

SI’s new owners fired, like, everyone with any talent in 2019 & 2020.

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:
Edited by UConn James
Duplicate reply