Do you guys think our running game improved a bit?

I mean I know it’s only preseason and it’s the 1st preseason game. But I felt like our running game kicked it into second gear today. Singletary  did a solid job today as did Breida , would’ve liked to have seen Trubisky throw some more but i was Really impressed with how we ran the ball today. Thoughts?? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I mean I know it’s only preseason and it’s the 1st preseason game. But I felt like our running game kicked it into second gear today. Singletary  did a solid job today as did Breida , would’ve liked to have seen Trubisky throw some more but i was Really impressed with how we ran the ball today. Thoughts?? 

I think our line is stronger and Motor made some strides this summer.

Motor's burst and decisiveness stood out.  That was with the back up oline vs most of their starters on D if I'm not mistaken.

They didn't panic and over draft another RB or bring in like Todd Gurley.  

We don't know if it's fixed but they believe the solution is in that RB room and I still think it's Singletary.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

I think our run game would of been fine last year. We just never spent enough time actually attempting it. First time we run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down this year like we did today followed by a punt and people are gonna freak out lol.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think our run game would of been fine last year. We just never spent enough time actually attempting it. First time we run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down this year like we did today followed by a punt and people are gonna freak out lol.

I've said the same thing.  Last year was all work in the passing game.  Run game should be better this year.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think we really won't know until we see the regular season.

Or maybe a different team - the Lions were 28th in rush yards given up last season, and are just hoping to be better

31 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Motor's burst and decisiveness stood out.  That was with the back up oline vs most of their starters on D if I'm not mistaken.

They didn't panic and over draft another RB or bring in like Todd Gurley.  

We don't know if it's fixed but they believe the solution is in that RB room and I still think it's Singletary.

Going by how the season ended....it would be Moss.  May be they don't want to expose Moss to pre-season injuries

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, get ready for the Moss/Breida show this year.

I thought Singletary looked like a bonafide starter.   Breida looks too small, Moss looks too small to bea power back...

Singletary looks bonafide.

Go Bills!

PS - I sure hope Breida and Moss shot me up...,,

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Sour taste in mouths....

47 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It was better my question is short yardage 3-3 or less I’d rather not have Josh be our short yardage guy hopefully that will be Moss 

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Motor has always been good, fans were hard on him for no reason.

Exactly. The times tonight when he had a defender in his face as soon as he touched the ball had the same outcome as last year. It just happened far fewer times tonight.

Singletary is a good back. Not amazing or spectacular, but a good back.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Sour taste in mouths....

That never even fazed me. So we didn't get a 6-7 yard gain (defenders would have closed in around the sticks)? Boo hoo. Far, FAR, worse things happened in that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

His vision and elusiveness has always been there and he's exceptionally strong for his size. Unfortunately he's had some inopportune fumbles and drops that stick out. I think the light bulb goes on this year and he cements himself as the lead back in a quality RB stable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Thought Brieda looked shifty and elusive on some of those runs.

Breida had some good years in SF problem was Mostert was sorta the same guy, but a bit better. I think he can help the Bills this year, if he makes it.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That never even fazed me. So we didn't get a 6-7 yard gain (defenders would have closed in around the sticks)? Boo hoo. Far, FAR, worse things happened in that game.

To me It capped off a disappointing sophomore season after a promising rookie one.  Tonight's performance was encouraging though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You were on the right track. 

Edited by jeremy2020

I thought Breida was fine, but he should be schemed for more outside plays.  Let during the season for Singletary and Moss focus up the middle.  When one gets hurt eventually bring up A. Williams from the PS.

with that said, I would hide Moss for the preseason and limit Singletary to at most 1-2 quarters.  Give the bulk of the reps to Williams and Breida.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

For as "bad" as our run game was last year, we still averaged 4.4 YPC

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Going by how the season ended....it would be Moss.  May be they don't want to expose Moss to pre-season injuries

Your take is a bit far fetched, Moss is coming off an injury, and is injured again, that’s the only reason he wasn’t being played, you realize that, right? 

Go Bills!!!

I hate to be that guy, but I saw nothing special.

I thought it was ok.  Nothing demonstrative that showed it was better. 

Did they run?  Yes, because they tried to run.  Was it generally successful…no.  It didn’t “fail”, but I wouldn’t want to rest my hat on the running game if it came time for us to rest our hats on it.

What running “imposing your will” did they do yesterday?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

8 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t know that I'd categorize him as good. I think he's a middle of the pack RB. Hopefully he made some strides since last year. 

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

His vision and elusiveness has always been there and he's exceptionally strong for his size. Unfortunately he's had some inopportune fumbles and drops that stick out. I think the light bulb goes on this year and he cements himself as the lead back in a quality RB stable.

He is good, not great, but he is certainly our best back. I’m not a big fan of anyone behind him though.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You answered your question the first sentence. Preseason. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cody Ford is a bulldozer. Hopefully he stays healthy. 

Yeah thought Ford had a good game, tried to rewind and focus on him as much as possible. Pancaked a couple guys plus he was bringing a lot of energy and looked like he was pointing out some things pre-snap to the rest of the line as well. Early days, but it's a start.

13 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. He was a little off, maybe he questioned his confidence some....but he was never terrible, still broke long runs (between five and 22yds.) impressively. I think he's more than ready this year and will be our #1 and he will be breaking those runs at a fairly consistent rate (he will regain his 5.1yds./carry rate from his rookie year up from his 4.3 last year. He regains this 5.1 largely because the offense is better, the blocking is better, etc.

I think he also improves as a receiver this year. Both his hands and his yds./catch as he feels more comfortable he will break tackles and shimmy his way for better output.

Singletary looked fantastic.  

Breida was fine… some of y’all are goofy when it comes to him

Not sure what else there is to evaluate… Ford looked good, Brown showed ups and downs but flashed serious upside.  

Ford and 4 backups hopefully isn’t an OL we see this year.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cody Ford is a bulldozer. Hopefully he stays healthy. 

Here's to hoping he stays healthy AND is a nice upgrade in both run blocking and pass blocking. It will have been a long time coming.

Speaking of the 2019 draft, I thought it was interesting that his draft mate was also playing a good share of the time even though he is a starter. Ed, it appears, still needs plenty of work and hopefully he continues to improve.....

I think Cody, Ed And Levi were the only starters to play.... I can definitely see why Ford would need to play but playing Ed and Levi was a bit of a surprise to me....

I like Devin Singletary a lot as our starter. I think fans diss him because he is not a home run hitter. There just aren't that many Adrian Petersons out there.... (1)

Devin is a lot like Thurman, plenty good enough for me....He is going to have his best year yet. He'll regain his impressive 5.1 yds. carry plus he'll improve as a receiver both catching it and having the mindset to get by the first tackler (just like he does running). And he is already a very good blocker....

I hope Daboll knows how to use both Breida and Moss successfully. Moss seems strictly an inside runner and Breida strictly an outside runner.  Chan Gailey (now out in Miami apparently) is a pretty good offensive mind and he couldn't use him.

Moss is an extraordinary pass blocker, but can he be a power back at that height and weight? Is he Devin Singletary without the moves, quicks and shimmy? I don't know?  Can Moss be successful playing STs?  I really thought Breida would take one of the return jobs. What's up with that?

I miss Fred and Marshawn..... now that was a pair of running backs! We'd be pretty damn awesome with those two incredibly tough SOBs now. So, in that sense, I guess I'd rather upgrade from Devin, but you'll see, you'll all see, Singletary is definitely a starting NFL RB (that should be paired with another good RB). I think he can be the 1A of a solid pair.

An article I read a while back said Moss was highly effective in college largely when he was fed a LOT. That he needs 15+ carries/game to be effective....I hope they are wrong because until Devin gets all beat up, I really don't see that happening. Furthermore, I don't think Moss can be a 1A all year. He'll get too beat up....I think he is 1B at best but hopefully I'm wrong and he becomes a stud for us.

Who was our OC when we had Shady, Gilleslee, Carlos and Boobie? Man, he got the most out of all four of those RBs. All four were highly successful for us and do much fun to watch....Was it Greg Roman? I know Daboll was awesome getting JA to be a STAR but I hope he takes pride in his running game and puts all of our backs in a position to succeed at what our backs are good at doing. I'd love for another fish to blossom into a very good player after bombing in Miami. Maybe Daboll can do that for Breida?  NE always seems to make very good use of fast backs, maybe Daboll can in Buffalo? Screens and pitch outs, little slants with them out wide. Get them past the front four and into space.....

Go Bills!

The biggest question to me will be how are the RB's used.  There's all this talk of how Breida adds a speed element.  But will it be like last year and only two are active on game days.  If so then his speed adds no value.   Or will that be changed up and activate a 3rd RB at the expense of some other position having one less?   Moss is more a power back so again even if their plan was to alternate who's inactive depending on the game plan without all three active, you don't have all the elements. 

Breida and Moss in particular each add a different element.  Not sure what Singletary offers from a unique standpoint??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hope they don't waste Breida on A/B gap type runs. Get him outside and use that speed. Devin looked decent tonight but I'll need to see more.

What I saw in Breida is an east/west runner who everyone says has speed to burn, who spent his time trying to dipsey doodle rather than use that speed.

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He is good, not great, but he is certainly our best back. I’m not a big fan of anyone behind him though.

Daboll loves his high flying offense. Create clever patterns and Sling It all over the place. Hopefully he makes more of an effort to incorporate some run options to keep opposing defenses honest.