With Allen’s deal done, if you could pick one player on the Bills roster to extend right now, who would it be?

I know it’s early, but to me, it has to be Stefon Diggs. Yes, he’s only been here a year, but he’s outperformed his contract.

127 catches 1,535 yards. You don’t mess with that.

Clearly these two have great chemistry together and are elite talents in their own right. This is a Montana to Rice situation, or a Manning to Harrison situation and so on so forth.

Diggs deserves to be paid top 3 money. Am I a year early on this? Maybe, maybe not but Diggs has had great production going back to 2015-2016 in Minnesota.

In the salary cap era, you must choose wisely who you pay and who you don’t pay and I think WR is one of those positions that you do pay, especially when it’s a WR of Stefon Digg’s caliber. Last year was not a fluke in any way. He dominates even elite corners.

I think whenever you have a star QB/WR pairing in the NFL, you need to do everything you can to keep that together. Allen is great, but this offense wouldn’t be nowhere near what it is without Diggs. Pay the man his $18M or his $19M/yr or whatever it is because he’s earned it. If Diggs were to go down, I think our offense would struggle.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Part of being a good GM is spending money wisely. Not throwing money around unnecessarily. I'm sure McBeane, Allen and Diggs knew what the potential was when Diggs signed here. I'm sure McBeane used the 'potential' as a selling point for when Diggs signed. Diggs has the 7th largest salary for a WR in the NFL right now. He has a bigger contract than Julio Jones, Devonte Adams, Tyreek Hill, and Hopkins. He didn't earn his contract based on one year of performance. So he shouldn't expect a raise based on one year with his new team. You guys need to chill with this. The earliest it's gonna happen is a year or so before his contract expires, if ever. Who's to say the Bills don't use him as trade bait one year before his contract expires? Just throwing it out there... you never know.

Edited by costrovs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Edmunds.  

We seem 99% likely to lock him up anyway, and he has the talent to absolutely explode if/when it clicks.  

Then do Diggs after, whether thats sometime this year or next summer. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

While Diggs is a tremendous talent I would not rush off to offer an extension before necessary. Truly elite QB's make all of the players around them better. That is always how it has been. And Allen is that kind of QB. As great as Diggs is, a still raw 2nd year Josh Allen got career years out of both John Brown and Cole Beasley. So while Diggs and Allen had career years together, I have no doubt Allen can continue to play at a high level without a player of Diggs caliber if needed. BUT, and here is the good thing, when you have an elite level QB like Allen, wide receivers are going to want to play for a guy like that. So whether it is Diggs or someone else there will never be a lack of quality WR's for Beane to choose from. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs.  Keep him happy.  Make sure there are no hiccups along the way.  He’s our #2. There is no debate.  

lol@ those that say Edmunds.  At this point, Edmunds would likely want 17-19 mill per year….. let him prove that he’s worth over 10M aav before we break the bank for him.  He’s the perfect example of a guy I would NOT want to extend right now….,unless he took around 10M aav.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Knox ......8 years 96m plus a couple cases of those sticky gloves ;)

My second choice is Jerry Hughes same deal as Knox less the sticky gloves ;)

That locks him up until he is 40 ;)

But seriously I would say our young MLB should get a deal like that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Diggs.  Keep him happy.  Make sure there are no hiccups along the way.  He’s our #2. There is no debate.  

lol@ those that say Edmunds.  At this point, Edmunds would likely want 17-19 mill per year….. let him prove that he’s worth over 10M aav before we break the bank for him.  He’s the perfect example of a guy I would NOT want to extend right now….,unless he took around 10M aav.  

Signing him for 12m now might be a  gamble but it might also be genius

• Agree 1

I think the next man up is Diggs. I think they tack 2 years on his deal so he is here until 32, through the entirety of his prime, and give him a nice amount of guaranteed $$$. Diggs, like Allen, just wants to win. I expect Diggs to be in top 3 $$$, but when we look at the deal as a whole I believe it will still be team friendly overall. 

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Mckensie. Wouldn't be that expensive. Great teammates, great attitude and I want to buy his Jersey (not for just one year though)...

Face of the Franchise!!!😉

You’re a day late. He surrendered the title yesterday.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I know it’s early, but to me, it has to be Stefon Diggs. Yes, he’s only been here a year, but he’s outperformed his contract.

127 catches 1,535 yards. You don’t mess with that.

Clearly these two have great chemistry together and are elite talents in their own right. This is a Montana to Rice situation, or a Manning to Harrison situation and so on so forth.

Diggs deserves to be paid top 3 money. Am I a year early on this? Maybe, maybe not but Diggs has had great production going back to 2015-2016 in Minnesota.

In the salary cap era, you must choose wisely who you pay and who you don’t pay and I think WR is one of those positions that you do pay, especially when it’s a WR of Stefon Digg’s caliber. Last year was not a fluke in any way. He dominates even elite corners.

I think whenever you have a star QB/WR pairing in the NFL, you need to do everything you can to keep that together. Allen is great, but this offense wouldn’t be nowhere near what it is without Diggs. Pay the man his $18M or his $19M/yr or whatever it is because he’s earned it. If Diggs were to go down, I think our offense would struggle.

Trade for and extend McCaffrey:wub:

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I wouldn't extend anyone else.  Make Edmunds earn it just like he made Milano earn it.  He has played well enough to pick up his option but not consistently well enough to warrant an extension.  Plus you have the franchise tag.  

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I know Edmunds is a polar figure right now - Mike from SPOTRAC talked specifically about him and why that would be a guy he would extend now rather than later.

Basically right now - Edmunds is slotted at about 13 million, but off ball LBs have been skyrocketing in recent years and by next year it probably reaches an AAV of 20 million - so there is a potential to the savings.  Plus like Josh and Tre’ - the added 4th and 5th year option gives you a chance to spread bonuses out longer reducing the AAV even more starting in 2022 with the 5th year option.

Finally - it gives the team flexibility to structure a shorter term (4 year extension) in a way to offset the Allen extension while actually creating CAP room next year for a Diggs extension.

So to me - If McD feels Edmunds is a guy he wants - now is the time for an extension.  If you wait - it likely costs you 6-7 million more in AAV to “slot” him in and the franchise tag in 2 years will likely be over 20 million.  Basically - if the team wants him long term - now is better because he likely becomes a cap casualty at the end of his contract with the timing and increases.

I would imagine Beane has a slotted price for Edmunds - now we can see if he wants to get it done for cost and flexibility.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I know Edmunds is a polar figure right now - Mike from SPOTRAC talked specifically about him and why that would be a guy he would extend now rather than later.

Basically right now - Edmunds is slotted at about 13 million, but off ball LBs have been skyrocketing in recent years and by next year it probably reaches an AAV of 20 million - so there is a potential to the savings.  Plus like Josh and Tre’ - the added 4th and 5th year option gives you a chance to spread bonuses out longer reducing the AAV even more starting in 2022 with the 5th year option.

Finally - it gives the team flexibility to structure a shorter term (4 year extension) in a way to offset the Allen extension while actually creating CAP room next year for a Diggs extension.

So to me - If McD feels Edmunds is a guy he wants - now is the time for an extension.  If you wait - it likely costs you 6-7 million more in AAV to “slot” him in and the franchise tag in 2 years will likely be over 20 million.  Basically - if the team wants him long term - now is better because he likely becomes a cap casualty at the end of his contract with the timing and increases.

I would imagine Beane has a slotted price for Edmunds - now we can see if he wants to get it done for cost and flexibility.

Agree with everything you state from a contract and dollar standpoint. I agree McD likely thinks more of Edmunds than I do. I just don't see a top 5 MLB on tape. I'd take my chances and make him prove me wrong. In two years time Hughes, Morse, Beasley, Hyde and Star will be off the team. That frees up cash leaving only Diggs, Oliver, and hopefully Ford to pay. Obviously a few free agents and good drafts to backfill those players will be needed too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Signing him for 12m now might be a  gamble but it might also be genius

He’s not going to sign for 12.  Don’t you know, he made two pro bowls…..that means he’s better than Fred Warner, who’s only made one. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

When it comes to building a team, especially with Josh’s new contract, we must be careful with who we pay and who we don’t pay. Edmunds is a good LB, not a great one. 

Buffalo has three players on this team who are elite relative to their position. Allen, Diggs and White. Outside of that I would argue that Buffalo has no other elite players on the roster.

Sure, if you can lock Edmunds up for $10M-$11M a year, I think there’s great value there. We can probably afford to lock up 6-7 players within that cap range but we must be careful to not go beyond that threshold unless that player is truly elite.

We must strike balance between our meat and potato type guys, glue players and then our midrange guys like Dawkins, Oliver and Milano etc.. You don’t hand out top 5 money to a top 10-15 player like Edmunds. If he is willing to take less, just as Milano did, I’m okay with it, but if he wants top 5 money, he can walk, he’s just not that good.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

When it comes to building a team, especially with Josh’s new contract, we must be careful with who we pay and who we don’t pay. Edmunds is a good LB, not a great one. 

Buffalo has three players on this team who are elite relative to their position. Allen, Diggs and White. Outside of that I would argue that Buffalo has no other elite players on the roster.

Sure, if you can lock Edmunds up for $10M-$11M a year, I think there’s great value there. We can probably afford to lock up 6-7 players within that cap range but we must be careful to not go beyond that threshold unless that player is truly elite.

We must strike balance between our meat and potato type guys, glue players and then our midrange guys like Dawkins, Oliver and Milano etc.. You don’t hand out top 5 money to a top 10-15 player like Edmunds. If he is willing to take less, just as Milano did, I’m okay with it, but if he wants top 5 money, he can walk, he’s just not that good.

He’s a polarizing player, no doubt.  

Opposing fans, media, other teams coaches/execs, all think he’s a stud.  Many of us who watch him every day have concerns. 

He’s a risky signing, but one that could massively pay off given Edmunds potential and age.  

I absolutely get why people are opposed, but you know, and I know, he’s likely getting re-signed… might as well get ahead of it… because if it clicks this year, Edmunds is getting PAID.  

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I hear ya.  Similar reasoning as why it’s better to sign Josh (or any proven player) now rather than later.  That always makes sense if you “know” that you’re getting and what you’re getting is worth the $.  Most of us feel that Josh is what he is…..he doesn’t have to improve to be worthy of the contract.  That’s not the case with Edmunds.  

Regarding Edmunds, now is only better if he improves. Sounds as if he’s having a solid camp and I can’t wait to see his progression. If there is very little progression and if we get the Edmunds of 2020, it’s my opinion that we should trade him or ride out the 5th year and get comp picks.  

there’s just too much mystery surrounding what type of player Edmunds will be after his rookie contract is up.  If we want, we have two years to figure it out, see what he turns into and then, either:  franchise him for control and hopefully sign him long term or trade him (if he improves) or let him hit the road (if he isn’t worth the big $)

I feel that Edmunds is going to try and become the highest paid off ball LB.  I don’t see any case in which he takes less than 15M aav prior to hitting free agency.  I only see an advantage in signing him now if they KNOW, that he’s as good as the highest paid LBs……I just don’t see how that’s possible at THIS point. Too risky imo. That’s a contract that could crush us if we end up getting 2020 Edmunds.  Let’s see how he plays vs Mahomes two more times this year.  Let’s see if he can be disciplined and not be manipulated by Mahomes eyes all game.  That will show growth and gice

me more confidence in him.  

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Zach Ertz

🤣🤣🤣

Reported. 🤨 You're all on double secret probation.

Since you years ago let future HoFers Zay Jones and Robert Foster get away, 🙁, I will merely suggest 

Christian Wade.  We can always say he's a political refugee.

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

My second choice is Jerry Hughes same deal as Knox less the sticky gloves ;)

I sometimes wonder if the refs think Jerry Hughes does have sticky gloves. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1