Anything you look back on fondly that hasn’t aged well?

Another Fan

The entire Star Wars world.

Go back and watch the first 3 movies; they are not particularly good movies.  I was obsessed with them as a kid back in the '70s.  

Growing up I thought the coolest character from the Star Wars world, bar none, was Boba Fett.

Go back and look at his costume; it looks like something kids made out of pajamas in the garage in about an hour, using whatever stuff they could find in the garage.  It's ridiculously stupid looking to me now.  

Boba, like Star Wars itself, has not held up well.

Most of the special effects (most) have stood up pretty well, however.  But the acting, writing, plot line, it's pretty below average stuff.

What is funny is that this has not stopped the franchise from being pretty much the most successful film franchise of all time, and it made George Lucas a billionaire 3 times over.  

So there's that!  

Star-Wars-1313.jpg?resize=768,432

On 7/31/2021 at 12:11 PM, Just Jack said:

Tori Amos

Then...

YDu3UXyF_400x400.jpg

Now

Tori-Amos-GettyImages-858061894-696x442.jpg

I thought the same thing when I recently saw a photo of Sinead O'Connor.

Petrusich-Sinead-OConnor.jpg

sinead-share.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2021 at 7:53 PM, gomper said:

Professional Wrestling.  I was spoiled back the day. Wrestlers with great mic work who could really sell and well thought out story arcs. I watched WWE a few weeks ago.  I lasted 8 minutes.  Horrible. 

As a kid, Buffalo TV was great on Saturdays.  Mid-Atlantic at Noon on 29. Maple Leaf on 11 at 1. WWF at Midnight.  Plus, MSG. Philly and Cap Center house shows on International Cable 10.

Ah. memories. 

Concur.  The actors and actresses today don't "buy in" to their characters like the "old timers" did because they they all want to be the Rock and Cena with dreams of mainstream movies and appeal.  Can't get too weird, too crazy.  

I really blame Hulk Hogan for that.  Remember in the 90s when UPN essentially took Weird Al's UHF and made it a reality and started pumping out random shows? 

I think they hit it big with Star Trek TNG, but Hulk Hogan had a dumb show on there where he literally rode around in an invisible speedboat.  Hahaha.  

50 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Candy cigarettes.  There were the chalky ones with the one end dyed red, and then there were the good kind made of gum.  Those had the powder stuff inside the wrapper so it kinda looked like smoke was coming out.  Ahhh...those were the days.

Those were the best!

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'll go the other direction. The Three Stooges are timeless. As good today as the original. Watched a few episodes the other day and still laughed.

100%.

So is Looney Toons. I introduced my kids to Bugs and company when they were growing up and they laughed as much as I did as a kid.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Candy cigarettes.  There were the chalky ones with the one end dyed red, and then there were the good kind made of gum.  Those had the powder stuff inside the wrapper so it kinda looked like smoke was coming out.  Ahhh...those were the days.

just had a debate with a friend a few days ago about which candy cigarettes were better. I only liked the gum ones, which I would puff. He swears by the candy/chalk ones. In fact, he said he still buys the chalk ones. I always thought those were meh.  

On 8/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'll go the other direction. The Three Stooges are timeless. As good today as the original. Watched a few episodes the other day and still laughed.

Totally agree, and yet... females still don't "get it".

• Agree 1

Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit

They had some good aggressive songs I liked as an angry teen.  But I’d never listen to them even for nostalgia purposes 

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

PEZ was a favorite of mine.  Haven’t seen that in ages 

On 8/9/2021 at 7:24 AM, Another Fan said:

I saw a PEZ display at Big Lots last week, hadn't seen them in a long time either. They had a whole section of old time candy actually, pretty cool. Cracker Barrel might have them too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:18 PM, LeGOATski said:

I'd go

1a. PJ

1b. AiC

3. Nirvana

4. STP

I believe Nirvana belongs in a category by itself. IMO, their music doesn't fit the emotive style of mid-to-late 90s bands. Nirvana is like proto-Rage Against the Machine, early Sleater-Kinney, with rock and punk roots. I feel the others are more pop-influenced. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

AIC >Nirvana.  Lane Staley was an amazing singer. I've said it before, I'll take AIC and STP over Nirvana and Pearl Jam 7 days a week.

They (and Soundgarden) are all very different bands lumped into the same "genre," which I've always thought was irresponsible.

None of these bands sound anything like each other.  Nearly everything about each band is different.

The one thing, in my opinion, that they have in common .... all loaded with talent.

oh...my 3 and 6 go ape ***** over them.  i don't know if they're making a come back, or my kids just found them...but they're around.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's because you're a dentist! Like the one's that get in trouble... Always the cop's kids!  😏  😉 😜 

i blame it on my wife.  she let's them eat whatever, and i have to deal with it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit

They had some good aggressive songs I liked as an angry teen.  But I’d never listen to them even for nostalgia purposes 

Have you seen the documentary on Woodstock 99 yet?  What an interesting time 1999 was

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Have you seen the documentary on Woodstock 99 yet?  What an interesting time 1999 was

No didn’t know it existed.

I do remember Fred’s performance of Break Stuff the crowd started getting out of hand.  That and In Together Now were my jams back then 

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

No didn’t know it existed.

I do remember Fred’s performance of Break Stuff the crowd started getting out of hand.  That and In Together Now were my jams back then 

It's a pretty interesting look back at an interesting time in life.  It's on HBO Max right now but I would imagine it will be available on other platforms as well over time

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

When I was a kid, I thought TV dinners were delicious.

Right now, the thought of eating one makes my stomach churn

As a kid those Looney Tunes TV Dinners were fine dining 

The timeshares we bought.  In both cases the companies promised things but when they needed money they broke there promises.

Kuhio Banyan Waikiki informed us they leased land as most do in Hawaii and at end of lease we had a choice of paying and continuing to be owner of giving up timeshare.

Three years before lease renewal they wanted all owners to contribute to lease and if we choose to not renew they would repay us lease cost.

The company I heard had trouble raising money for lease.

We told them we are not planning on renewing lease and are not paying.

We also said there was language in contract saying we did not need to but they stated we were not interpreting it correctly (when we were in timeshare meeting buying this question was asked and they said explicitly we did not need to purchase it and could use our timeshare until lease became due.

They refused to let us use timeshare and stating if we did not pay timeshare fees they would put something on our credit report and take us to court.

I told them to go ahead for sooner you do so I can file dispute with credit report companies including documentation showing they are breaking contract.

They gave up on letters after a couple of years.  I pasted one of the SASE on a box containing garbage and that may have something to do with it.

Wyndham Star Island Resort & Club was bought to use in alternate weeks when we did not go to Hawaii. 

We deliberately bought a minimum point package which allowed us to reserve smallest unit.

We were told explicitly that owners have 1st priority and if we reserved when it became available we were guaranteed availability. 

First time we attempted to reserve I made sure I was ready to log in at time it opened - previous day I checked and we could not reserve that week but we could week before since the first reservation week passed.   When I attempted to reserve week all rooms were taken so I called customer support.  I was told that owners who had rented multiple weeks had taken up all of the rooms and I told them I checked and all were NOT reserved so it was impossible for all of them to have been reserved via extended reservations, something we were not told about in presentation.  He said his computer said otherwise and then gave a line about there to help me.

We needed to use a different resort a different week or lose our points.

Same issue happened for next 3 times we attempted to reserve.

We finally got access to our resort and went to owners meet & greet.   There were some people still asking question and again I heard one of them state 'Yes you are guaranteed access to your resort' and I spoke up loudly.  "That is a lie.  We tried 3 times on first day during first hour to reserve and we were shut out." I had several people asking me questions and I explained they still can cancel your purchase.   At one point we were asked to leave and I stated we only came because we were told we would be given a package including free tickets and some discounts which we have not been given.  He said please leave and we will have it sent to your suite and I said loudly "Once again you not going to keep your promise." and manager finally told someone to office, get a package and give it to us.  We opened package, one of the items had expired and waited for the person to bring replacement. 

We still own it for it has no resale value.  They have sent us several invitations to local owner meetings but every one has been useless if we are not willing to buy more points.  We are going to Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving.

I cannot see myself ever buying a timeshare again. No matter what the promises are the companies can change rules and nothing you can do about it.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, Rico said:

Vinyl records, compact discs, and DVD’s.

FM radio too.

While this is true, the sonic quality of a well recorded CD played back on a quality system easily bests any of the compressed file formats of today… and vinyl is actually still coveted by many music lovers. 

Oh, and more currently,  Bobby Harts NFL career has not aged well either 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

While this is true, the sonic quality of a well recorded CD played back on a quality system easily bests any of the compressed file formats of today… and vinyl is actually still coveted by many music lovers. 

Oh, and more currently,  Bobby Harts NFL career has not aged well either 

Most music files are "lossy," meaning they remove some part of the music, for size purposes.  You can record a CD in it's original format, but it will just take up more room on your playback device.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.