Duke Williams elevated from the Practice Squad for tomorrow's game

Big Turk

19 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

I wonder if they sit Andre Roberts and let McKenzie take special teams.  Duke is a big target in the red zone, where we have struggled this season.

We’re 13th in the league in red zone and our biggest issues there have been penalties. I don’t think struggled is the right term. 

13th is even skewed by the part of the year where our offense was in the dumps due to Josh’ injury. 

2 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why does Duke not play during the season but always gets called up for the playoffs? Why didn't buffalo sign Stills a month ago?

Duke was hurt recently and not practicing when kumerow was brought up. And this is the first week with 2 WRs questionable. If Kumerow was still here it would have probably been him. Stills didn’t want to sign until after the reg season for contract reasons. He was still being paid by Houston. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We’re 13th in the league in red zone and our biggest issues there have been penalties. I don’t think struggled is the right term. 

13th is even skewed by the part of the year where our offense was in the dumps due to Josh’ injury. 

This is spot on. Our stats are really skewed by the mini slump we hit in the middle of the season.  Over the last 3 weeks, our redzone percentage for TD's is like 77%.  And if we weren't in 1st and 30 against the Broncos down there all the time, it would probably be higher. 

I agree with other fans, the last person I want to see running routes tomorrow is Duke Williams.

I get that Kenny Stills has only been here for a walkthrough and two practices, but just run with the five WRs you had last week if Beasley is out.

Williams is a fringe NFL player and we can’t have him eating reps like him and Gore did last year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Duke was hurt recently and not practicing when kumerow was brought up. And this is the first week with 2 WRs questionable. If Kumerow was still here it would have probably been him. Stills didn’t want to sign until after the reg season for contract reasons. He was still being paid by Houston. 

Yea this is correct.  But Brown was out so we had the room and need.  

If Kumerow was still here and activated for tomorrow it would probably be a jovial 10 page thread.   

Bottom line.  You can't really run on the Colts.  Buckner is just a menace.  Leonard is awesome.  We don't run the ball that well as is tho better lately.  If you're the Colts you want us running the ball.    

We're going to throw it 45 times.  In the event Brown or Diggs gets banged up, might be good to have more then just the rookie Davis vs that D to have to rely on.

But I still think this is just extra precaution in the event something happens pre game.   

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok thanks for the intel

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

So the roster this week is 55 and they can dress 48, as long as 8 are OL guys, right?

Dress 48.  

PEOPLE HEAR ME OUT!

The entire Main Roster is HEALTHY with the exception of MAYBE Beasley out.

They called up a WR (Duke) who MIGHT DRESS and another OL who won't dress.

They both are 'Insurance" like others have said.

OK you Einstein's, who is 'Inactive" tomorrow? 

49  Fromm

50  Devey

51  Murphy

52  A, Smith

53  Yeldon (or they play and sit "The Duke"

54  Kroft (or they play and sit "The Duke"

55  Beasley (see 53 & 54 above)

I say "The Duke" sits and Yeldon, Kroft or of course Beasley play.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Duke can play football. He’s an nfl caliber WR. Imo. What he is not is a WR 1, 2 or probably even 3. He’s not the guy you throw the potential game winning TD to in a playoff game. We have that guy now. 

I agree. It just so happens that we're loaded at wr. We have options depending on who's banged up (Beasley). Calling up Duke and having him ready just in case throws another small wrinkle at Indy's defense. Duke will never be in the top 5 or 6 amongst our wr room but we've seen him use his size to ward off cbs. Good insurance. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

32 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with other fans, the last person I want to see running routes tomorrow is Duke Williams.

I get that Kenny Stills has only been here for a walkthrough and two practices, but just run with the five WRs you had last week if Beasley is out.

Williams is a fringe NFL player and we can’t have him eating reps like him and Gore did last year.

I’d rather have stills from a talent perspective.  

I think McD may have brought Duke up over others is the love he has in the locker room.  He’s a dude that players gravitate to.  They like him and might be extra fired up see him get another opportunity.  This teams success has to do with several aspects of “team”, not just talent. They play for each other and I think the locker room would play harder for Duke at this point.  It may be his only active, but I think the player will appreciate McD for dressing the guy that been here working all season

I’ll be excited for Duke if he can a few snaps.  I believe he’ll come through if called upon

Edited by NewEra
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Dress 48.  

PEOPLE HEAR ME OUT!

The entire Main Roster is HEALTHY with the exception of MAYBE Beasley out.

They called up a WR (Duke) who MIGHT DRESS and another OL who won't dress.

They both are 'Insurance" like others have said.

OK you Einstein's, who is 'Inactive" tomorrow? 

49  Fromm

50  Devey

51  Murphy

52  A, Smith

53  Yeldon (or they play and sit "The Duke"

54  Kroft (or they play and sit "The Duke"

55  Beasley (see 53 & 54 above)

I say "The Duke" sits and Yeldon, Kroft or of course Beasley play.

Duke sits, both he and Devey are insurance.

Beas will be active

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get the "Duke Williams is TERRIBLE" talk.  He's not. Look at last year.  He blocked. He hustled. He earned his spot on the roster. He was decent and made some clutch catches during the season.  Just not THE clutch catch in the playoffs. 

That being said, we are STACKED at WR and I don't expect or want him to take the field.  But sheesh, give the dude a break.  

• Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Insurance 

beasley and Diggs will both start

a few five wide plays in the game plan

we will throw 40+ passes

i think Duke will see about 10 snaps 

If those 2 dress Duke won't.  They won't dress 7 WR.  They would dress Kroft (3 TEs) before that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If those 2 dress Duke won't.  They won't dress 7 WR.  They would dress Kroft (3 TEs) before that.

They may. It depends on the status of Diggs and Beasley. I think it's 90% they are both active. It's the playoffs. But that doesn't mean, especially in Beasley's case and a knee injury, that he will be able to grind the entire game and be his reliable self. It's quite possible no one will know that until midway through the game. That's why first Duke was activated for insurance.

But it also just happens that the Colts are most susceptible to mid range passes. And a little short on CBS. That is where Duke can help the team even if the other two are playing. Sure we have five guys in Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis and McKenzie but I expect to see a decent amount of 5 wide. I wouldn't bet on him being active but I wouldn't be surprised either. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They may. It depends on the status of Diggs and Beasley. I think it's 90% they are both active. It's the playoffs. But that doesn't mean, especially in Beasley's case and a knee injury, that he will be able to grind the entire game and be his reliable self. It's quite possible no one will know that until midway through the game. That's why first Duke was activated for insurance.

But it also just happens that the Colts are most susceptible to mid range passes. And a little short on CBS. That is where Duke can help the team even if the other two are playing. Sure we have five guys in Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis and McKenzie but I expect to see a decent amount of 5 wide. I wouldn't bet on him being active but I wouldn't be surprised either. 

Down there best man corner I agree, they spread them out.  And let Allen cook.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hear you but they can also go 5 Wide using Roberts or even Knox.

Daboll has a lot of tricks up his sleeve he will break out for the playoffs.  Duke's insurance call-up in my mind is more about

a guy getting sick or hurt in early warmups.

It's great guessing about stuff like this because everyone but maybe Beasley is healthy.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Duke active because he can fill in at multiple positions if guys can't go

Big enough body to run some tight end and wide receiver or full back even

Follow the money, connect the dots - all roads lead to Duke in Letchworth...  :beer: