Duke Williams elevated from the Practice Squad for tomorrow's game

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe I heard it wrong

Maybe not. Shockingly, a lot of teams, including ours, barely ran any 10 personnel, with 8 teams running 0 all year (double the previous 2 seasons). That blows my mind.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Maybe Duke getting called up is insurance for Beasley.  Beasley may still dress for game and give it a shot but Duke is there just in case he can't finish or is on a snap count.

Don’t think both will be active though. Not enough roster spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You beat me to it!  YOU'RE THE DUKE!!!! A NUMBAH WONNNNNNN!!!!

In other news, the Duke hate runs deep at TBD.....

Well, so does the Duke love although it seems to have run quiet since the WR upgrades of Diggs and Davis

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So how does this work, who gets sent down? 

Who is Williams replacing in the 53?

I believe they're allowed 2 practice squad callups for gameday without sending anyone down.  More if they are replacements for covid-19

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So how does this work, who gets sent down? 

Who is Williams replacing in the 53?

could be any number of guys. Have to wait and see when the inactives are announced tomorrow.

Edit: could be Duke himself actually.

Edited by JoPoy88

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You beat me to it!  YOU'RE THE DUKE!!!! A NUMBAH WONNNNNNN!!!!

In other news, the Duke hate runs deep at TBD.....

The duke hate has always been a reaction to the ridiculously blind duke love. 

It peaked for me when I had numerous board members explaining to me that the guy whose only talent is contested catches dropped a TD in the playoffs because it was too contested....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

gotta be a numbers thing. Said earlier they’ve 5 healthy CBs active currently. I think Dane is great, but who do you sit amongst that group of Wallace, Norman, Johnson, Neal and Tre? I really don’t think they’ve had 6 CBs active in any game this season but I could be wrong. Can’t find an easy way to look that up right now.

Is he great? Gave up a TD last week. I think he’s been fine as a rookie and made some nice plays but small sample size, gave up the TD last week, and all the top corners are healthy as you said. From a trust perspective Mcdermott is going to err on the side of veteran in a playoff game. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Is he great? Gave up a TD last week. I think he’s been fine as a rookie and made some nice plays but small sample size, gave up the TD last week, and all the top corners are healthy as you said. From a trust perspective Mcdermott is going to err on the side of veteran in a playoff game. 

should’ve said great “for a rookie.”

I have full faith in the coaches and whatever their reasoning for not playing him more. They see him every day.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The duke hate has always been a reaction to the ridiculously blind duke love. 

It peaked for me when I had numerous board members explaining to me that the guy whose only talent is contested catches dropped a TD in the playoffs because it was too contested....

The Duke love isn't blind, because he more often than not made the play given the opportunity.  The dropped TD against Houston was huge, dialing me back to Duke like (same issue with McKittrick dropping the TD in Houston, but he's made up for it since).  The other reason I like Duke is I can break out the Isaac Hayes reference when he does make a play, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Duke love isn't blind, because he more often than not made the play given the opportunity.  The dropped TD against Houston was huge, dialing me back to Duke like (same issue with McKittrick dropping the TD in Houston, but he's made up for it since).  The other reason I like Duke is I can break out the Isaac Hayes reference when he does make a play, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Duke can play football. He’s an nfl caliber WR. Imo. What he is not is a WR 1, 2 or probably even 3. He’s not the guy you throw the potential game winning TD to in a playoff game. We have that guy now. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He’s made one significant play, and it was a relatively simple one. He had that drop plus a couple other’s that game. And the problem is that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Nobody’s trying to kick Diggs off the roster for dropping a ball (or Davis for that matter, who did have an awful drop in a key spot) cause those guys have a much larger margin of error. Duke is a good guy, but he lacks NFL traits and is a fringe player at best. 

He was treated like a superstar around here, it was irrational.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

Why not elevate Dane?

Our best CB tackler on the team.   

Very surprised he's not going to be involved vs this run heavy team.

I think it's clear Daboll is going to spread and sling and he needs to have a bunch of fresh WR's.  Duke can special teams it up with the best of em, block like hell and play his ass off.   Has more playoff catches than Gabe lol.

• Like (+1) 1

Joe B tweeted his two assumptions:

One, that this is just insurance.  

Two, that we are all in on passing and only activate 2 tight ends.  

Those both make complete sense to me.  

If he’s active, I’d take Duke as WR5 or WR6 over Roberts, depending on Beasley’s status. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He’s made one significant play, and it was a relatively simple one. He had that drop plus a couple other’s that game. And the problem is that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Nobody’s trying to kick Diggs off the roster for dropping a ball (or Davis for that matter, who did have an awful drop in a key spot) cause those guys have a much larger margin of error. Duke is a good guy, but he lacks NFL traits and is a fringe player at best. 

He was treated like a superstar around here, it was irrational.

Not treated like a superstar, he was just an underdog and fan favorite because of his story and the work he puts in.     

Plus if there's a bench clearing fight, Duke will kick Quentin Nelsons ass.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Duke hate is overboard on this board and definitely is not shared by the fan base.  The guy plays hard and has endeared himself with the fan base and can make contested catches.   Don’t get me wrong, he doesn’t deserve to be on the regular starting roster but I have no problem with him getting some call ups in a next man up situation.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Not treated like a superstar, he was just an underdog and fan favorite because of his story and the work he puts in.     

Plus if there's a bench clearing fight, Duke will kick Quentin Nelsons ass.

People were freaking out because we weren’t playing a PS player. That happened. 

Furthermore, a bunch of posters on here fought tooth and nail to argue that his TD drop wasn’t a drop!