Bad timing to be #2 seed

It’s ironic that Bills were not able to clinch playoffs for so many years. And I thought  why NFL has only 12 teams in playoffs although NBA and NHL has 16. Actually every year Bills fought for only 2 wild card spots, too few. 

And the year the league decided to expand playoffs to 14 only #2 seeds suffered  because of that expansion. And 1 of these 2 unlucky teams are Bills. Any previous year they would be already in div.round with a bye week for rest

• Like (+1) 5

Kind of a bummer...but on the flip side, there are several examples of the bye week hurting a teams mojo.  So maybe the Bills benefit in some weird way....or maybe I'm just looking at the glass half full.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

It’s ironic that Bills were not able to clinch playoffs for so many years. And I thought  why NFL has only 12 teams in playoffs although NBA and NHL has 16. Actually every year Bills fought for only 2 wild card spots, too few. 

And the year the league decided to expand playoffs to 14 only #2 seeds suffered  because of that expansion. And 1 of these 2 unlucky teams are Bills. Any previous year they would be already in div.round with a bye week for rest

I blame Putin. 

You know what to do, Comrade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if it’s a bad thing. 

We are not that nicked up and are on a roll.

I do believe that KC didn’t play their bye week correctly. They will have many players who have been away from football contact for 3 weeks.

They could be rusty.

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

YES!  I thought about this last week when the 2004 game versus Pittsburgh’s B-Team resurfaced.  

Where was the 7th wildcard spot then?  Or in 2014 when the defense was on a roll?

21 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Kind of a bummer...but on the flip side, there are several examples of the bye week hurting a teams mojo.  So maybe the Bills benefit in some weird way....or maybe I'm just looking at the glass half full.

I agree. I didn't want to rest the starters last week and I don't want a bye. Keep this freight train rolling!

I liked that it was only 12 teams. I liked that you had to be a good team to get into the playoffs. I liked that sometimes good teams couldn't even get into the playoffs because of how hard it was.

And now we'll probably always have a crappy 8-8 team in the playoffs whereas before that was rare and usually only happened when you had a bad division. This year we have a bad division in the NFC AND a crappy 8-8 wild card team.

Lucky us...

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And in any other year, the Colts wouldn’t even have qualified for the playoffs. 

They would have if they never left the NFL to join the AFC. Jets whooped ‘em in the Super Bowl so they joined forces and whooped Dallas 2 years later..

• Haha (+1) 1

TBH I feel like we need to keep playing like this. A team like KC that limped into the playoffs, rest and reset. 

We are on a roll and let's keep it going, consistency right now is key week after week.

Edited by TBBills

The bright side is that the Bills are very healthy and are on a tremendous roll.

If the Bills and Steelers both win this weekend, KC will play either Baltimore or Tennessee after several of KC's key players took two or three weeks off, and after KC pretty much coasted the last month, playing just well enough to win.  There could be a big surprise in store.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

They would have if they never left the NFL to join the AFC. Jets whooped ‘em in the Super Bowl so they joined forces and whooped Dallas 2 years later..

Their move to the AFC was a fait accompli by the time the Jets kicked their ass in SBIII, but I appreciate your point none the less. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've had mixed feelings on the Bye Week in the first round of the playoffs for years, even back when the 90's Bills' teams had them. KC last year was slow coming out of their Bye week and had to overcome a pretty big deficit to get past Houston. I know of course they did and they had the Offensive fire power to do so, but some teams (not saying the Bills) would have been drowning in their own lethargy and unable to get their feet underneath them again. I think there is something to be said for letting a hot team stay hot and let them play.

Plus, in this COVID crazy year there several players who were on IR for a few weeks or took a couple games off because of minor injuries that allowed them a little extra rest or in Mongo's case the first several weeks of the season. I'm not saying that having an extra week of rest wouldn't be beneficial for many of the players but I don't know that it is as much of an advantage as fans and media make it out to be....

Last year the Titans beat the #1 rated Offense, Ravens, and the #1 rated Defense, the Patriots, to advance to meet the Chiefs. Now, we know how that ended and obviously the Super Bowl win is the goal, but given just last year's success - and keep in mind the Titans had to go on the road for both of those games, I don't know how *much* it matters anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Getting the excuses ready are we?

It is unfortunate but in the end it is what it is. It wasn't like they expanded the playoffs just for this Covid season and in 2021 the Two seed will get a bye. This is the playoff format going forward in perpetuity or until they change the rules. I really loved the old 12 team format. But the NFL wanted more money. 

45 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The bright side is that the Bills are very healthy and are on a tremendous roll.

If the Bills and Steelers both win this weekend, KC will play either Baltimore or Tennessee after several of KC's key players took two or three weeks off, and after KC pretty much coasted the last month, playing just well enough to win.  There could be a big surprise in store.

Ding, ding, ding.  Cant wait to shut up the Steelers again.  I used to like them, but things change.

It really doesn’t matter, as whether it’s the Titans or Baltimore if they get the Chiefs, then they beat each other up first, and then whether they win or not, beat in the Chiefs.  Perfect for us, but first, beat the Colts, which I’m sure we will.

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Will you feel better about it when the Chiefs lose next week and we ultimately get to host the AFC Championship game in Buffalo?

YES

1 hour ago, Artem Lipatov said:

It is never a bad time to have two playoff game at home as we stay in a rhythm, ever.  10% is better than 0%.  I just feel bad fir the young kids never seeing us at home post season.  They are in for a treat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Im good with this.....cant ask for a better situation to get the playoff win thing behind us....that will leave only one more river to cross!

I guess you would prefer a bye but they get to stay focused...just gotta stay healthy!

that’s the silver lining. It’s critical to rack up that first playoff W and on paper it’s easier to do that against Indy rather than possibly Tennessee or ravens which could have happened under the old system. 

Edited by Charles Romes

This may be true.  But at the end of the day, the Bills may end up getting lucky with their playoff opponents.

Outside of us, the Ravens were probably the hottest AFC team going into the postseason.  And many believe the Titans were the toughest matchup (outside of Kansas City of course).  Meanwhile the Steelers seemed to be running out of gas as the season wore on.

Now if the Bills beat the Colts (definitely) and the Steelers beat the COVID-stricken Browns (looking more likely each day) -- then the three teams we didn't want to play will knock each other off, and we don't get any of them until the AFC Championship.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Last year the Titans beat the #1 rated Offense, Ravens, and the #1 rated Defense, the Patriots, to advance to meet the Chiefs. Now, we know how that ended and obviously the Super Bowl win is the goal, but given just last year's success - and keep in mind the Titans had to go on the road for both of those games, I don't know how *much* it matters anymore. 

Good take. Not sure I agree 100 percent, but gotta tip cap to nuanced thinking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good teams will diligently work to overcome adversity.  Whether it is scheduling, their opponent, weather, and yes, some questionable calls. 

One cohesive unit that keeps their head on straight when the chips are down is tough to beat.  Because you know the man next to you is going to do his job.  

My sense is that they know there's plenty of work ahead whether they have a bye or not.      

Not worried.