Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

I want him to stay, for sure.  If he leaves, I don't think it will be about money.  The Pegulas have plenty and will pay Daboll well to stay, if he wants to.  I think if he leaves, it will be to become an NFL coach and achieve the highest level in his profession.  It's a cautionary tale, as many great coordinators in great situations have left to become head coaches and it hasn't worked out.  It seems to not work out more often than it does work out.  Based on the fact that he interviewed with the Browns last year, I suspect Daboll will interview again.  The Browns had a lot of talent at the time he interviewed with them, so they would seem to be a more attractive option going into this season than the Jests going into next.

You have to think that the best HC position that is available atm, is the Chargers.

Especially for Daboll.

They already have a talented roster, and an answer at QB. That just needs the sort of development that Daboll has achieved with Josh.

He is also familiar, by all accounts, with their GM, so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to get in lockstep, like Beane and McDermott are.

As a football team, they are a lot closer to having something come together, than the majority of the other teams who are looking to hire a HC. Can't say I'm too struck on their stadium situation though - although I really don't know that much about what they have going on there.

A more difficult job, but still a promising one, would be Houston. Promising because Watson is a 'franchise' QB. I think there you would have to insist on 'time', and also know who the GM is going to be, and how you were going to work with him.

'Time' is necessary, due to the idiocy of BOB, who removed a lot of talent from the roster, and also mortgaged the draft and cap, way too much, to little avail.

The outlier, could be Jax. Mainly because they get to pick their QB this off season. I'm not up on their GM, Cap and roster situation, although I think they might have some $ to burn,  and it may be possible to do well in FA there, and address holes.

I genuinely would be shocked if Daboll went to the Jest. I don't think they are talentless, especially on D, but they seem to breed discontent there somehow. I think that comes down to drafting purely on talent, rather than putting additional emphasis on character.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He will definitely interview there but it won’t be his first choice 

Of course he will.  He can gather intel from interview.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Logic, you beat me to it.  I would add it is a two horse race.  The Bills Mgmt team could easily be poached to Houston.  Then  we have a new GM with Watson as QB with Bills ties, and I’m betting it is a horse race between the two.

Whether it’s being happy for one of the GM candidates, or just simply Daboll, it is a great compliment to our seniors staff for grooming these guys.

I think before anyone from Bills front office person(s) will have discussion with Brian Gaine and require long contract with high guaranteed salary.

https://www.nfl.com/news/stunner-texans-fire-general-manager-brian-gaine-0ap3000001033113

5 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That would be no, or not until the season is over

Actually it is "no" until 2 weeks before Superbowl since there is (currently) a 2 week break between conference championship and Superbowl.

I'm not worried about Daboll being in the AFC East. I'm more concerned about how of the staff he takes with him. 

I can't see him taking the Jets job though. Tough division to play in.. If I'm a head coach I'm looking at the Texans if they have some clarity on their front office. I'd much rather be facing the AFC South over the AFC East or West

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have heard rumor the Billicheat may stay as GM but step down as head coach.

Happier if he goes to New England?

I heard a rumor that this rumor was nothing more than a rumor that was fabricated to create false rumors.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I have heard rumor the Billicheat may stay as GM but step down as head coach.

Happier if he goes to New England?

Belichick wants Shula's win record. He will be on their sidelines for the next 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

Belichick wants Shula's win record. He will be on their sidelines for the next 5 years.

BUT, if we remove all the seasons where he cheated, he’d be chasing Doug Marrone’s win record. He should just retire now.......

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

You have to think that the best HC position that is available atm, is the Chargers.

Especially for Daboll.

They already have a talented roster, and an answer at QB. That just needs the sort of development that Daboll has achieved with Josh.

He is also familiar, by all accounts, with their GM, so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to get in lockstep, like Beane and McDermott are.

As a football team, they are a lot closer to having something come together, than the majority of the other teams who are looking to hire a HC. Can't say I'm too struck on their stadium situation though - although I really don't know that much about what they have going on there.

A more difficult job, but still a promising one, would be Houston. Promising because Watson is a 'franchise' QB. I think there you would have to insist on 'time', and also know who the GM is going to be, and how you were going to work with him.

'Time' is necessary, due to the idiocy of BOB, who removed a lot of talent from the roster, and also mortgaged the draft and cap, way too much, to little avail.

The outlier, could be Jax. Mainly because they get to pick their QB this off season. I'm not up on their GM, Cap and roster situation, although I think they might have some $ to burn,  and it may be possible to do well in FA there, and address holes.

I genuinely would be shocked if Daboll went to the Jest. I don't think they are talentless, especially on D, but they seem to breed discontent there somehow. I think that comes down to drafting purely on talent, rather than putting additional emphasis on character.

Chargers and Daboll are a nearly perfect, natural fit.

That's the job he would take, IMO, if offered.  

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I feel like he can afford to wait a bit. I wouldn't blame him if he thinks Houston is the perfect opportunity, though

Only problem with Houston is that their draft cupboard is bare for the next two drafts.  That is a coach killer for one who is coming in  as  a rookie.

28 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Chargers is probably the most attractive destination for any new coach. If Daboll leaves he would be smart to go somewhere with decent QB situation.

Atlanta is a decent situation. Matt Ryan is there and you can draft and develop a kid behind him. Ownership seems patient. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Of course he will.  He can gather intel from interview.

I think before anyone from Bills front office person(s) will have discussion with Brian Gaine and require long contract with high guaranteed salary.

https://www.nfl.com/news/stunner-texans-fire-general-manager-brian-gaine-0ap3000001033113

Actually it is "no" until 2 weeks before Superbowl since there is (currently) a 2 week break between conference championship and Superbowl.

Lime, I wasn’t referring to Gaine.  There are several GM candidates from our administrative staff.  I didn’t think he would return given his last bout with the dad, god rest his soul.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Lime, I wasn’t referring to Gaine.  There are several GM candidates from our administrative staff.  I didn’t think he would return given his last bout with the dad, god rest his soul.

I know that.  The other executives on Bills front office staff should talk to Gaine about his experience.  It is not like Oilers front office has completely changed their staff.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Atlanta is a decent situation. Matt Ryan is there and you can draft and develop a kid behind him. Ownership seems patient. 

I wasn't even thinking about Atlanta...

That would be nice, though. And he doesn't really have to compete with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

People seem to forget what an utterly dysfunctional dumpster fire the Bills were when McD arrived.

I think that McDermott/Beane have illustrated an effective blueprint of how to build a strong organization out of a completely dysfunctional one. If the Jets, or any other organization, allow Daboll to arrive with his own GM (and, assuming Daboll has someone he thinks he can work effectively with), give them carte blanche on personnel, and building their culture, and are willing to spend the money to follow their priorities, then it really doesn't matter which organization Daboll goes with. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

People seem to forget what an utterly dysfunctional dumpster fire the Bills were when McD arrived.

I think that McDermott/Beane have illustrated an effective blueprint of how to build a strong organization out of a completely dysfunctional one. If the Jets, or any other organization, allow Daboll to arrive with his own GM (and, assuming Daboll has someone he thinks he can work effectively with), give them carte blanche on personnel, and building their culture, and are willing to spend the money to follow their priorities, then it really doesn't matter which organization Daboll goes with. 

Be a hell of a thing to have on your resume if you succeed. Some people would want the challenge. On their terms of course. 

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

There’s a chance, though likely a small one, that he really enjoys his current position.  

He’s pretty much always been an OC and maybe his personal (vs team) goal is to be recognized as this generation of coaches best offensive mind.

Let’s hope.

Never too late for a billboard.

It’s almost anticlimactic Daboll will probably end up in LA.  If he gets it, I’m happy for him.  He’s given us three good years and helped us towards a chance at a championship.

I am with the crew that Dorsey hopefully has been groomed for his next step.  I don’t see McD blowing up the scheme they’ve designed for Allen and crew.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hemma said:

There’s a chance, though likely a small one, that he really enjoys his current position.  

He’s pretty much always been an OC and maybe his personal (vs team) goal is to be recognized as this generation of coaches best offensive mind.

Let’s hope.

Never too late for a billboard.

Yeah who wants one one of those 5+ million a year head coaching jobs.  

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It does happen, but not very often.

‘On February 6, 2018, McDaniels was announced as the new head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.[19] However, McDaniels withdrew from the position on the same day and announced that he had decided to stay with the Patriots.’

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Atlanta is a decent situation. Matt Ryan is there and you can draft and develop a kid behind him. Ownership seems patient

I think this may be a key for Daboll: patient ownership that doesn’t try to override the decisions of hired football minds. Going off that premise I’d imagine the Jets and Jaguars aren’t contenders. The Chargers and Falcons may be the most likely choices.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I feel like he can afford to wait a bit. I wouldn't blame him if he thinks Houston is the perfect opportunity, though

Why Houston ? Great QB but limited draft choices, debatable ownership who ran Gaine out to support BOB, cap issues. LAC is imho by far the best option. JA light QB decent D and skill players-GM he’s know since hs. New stadium 🏟 where 9-7 from 7-9 is very possible. 

20 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why Houston ? Great QB but limited draft choices, debatable ownership who ran Gaine out to support BOB, cap issues. LAC is imho by far the best option. JA light QB decent D and skill players-GM he’s know since hs. New stadium 🏟 where 9-7 from 7-9 is very possible. 

Division is wide open.

Go to Houston and you have the best QB in the division. A horrific defense that only needs a few pieces to become mediocre. Really just missing picks this year.

I don't think its the best option, but going to LAC means praying to split against the Chiefs every year.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think this may be a key for Daboll: patient ownership that doesn’t try to override the decisions of hired football minds. Going off that premise I’d imagine the Jets and Jaguars aren’t contenders. The Chargers and Falcons may be the most likely choices.

Are the Jaguars viewed as an impatient franchise? They've generally given all of their coaches a very long time to prove themselves with the exception of Mularkey going 2-14 in his one season as a coach. Coughlin got 8 years (granted he was legitimately good). Del Rio got 9 years despite only 2 playoff appearances. Bradley got 3 years despite winning a total of 14 games. And Marrone got 4 years.

I think the Jags are a sneaky good destination; the major drawback is the fairweather fans/London relationship if you view that as a bad thing. But you get to walk into Trevor Lawrence, a boatload of other future picks, and the ability to pretty much build a team from scratch to your liking.

Chargers definitely seem like the most likely for Daboll though.

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

OCs do fine monetarily... these guys that take the next step aren’t about the money it’s about ascension to the top of the career ladder, climbing that mountain.

he was already over a Mil/yr at Alabama, probably is in buffalo too and has far better job security than making a leap to a new organization, where anything can happen. 

if he moves it’s because he wants to be the guy

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood