Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd place a large wager that Daboll will be coaching the Chargers next year.

Went to high school with their GM, Tom Telesco, and would be walking into a ready-to-go roster. 

Daboll+Herbert+Williams, Allen, Henry, & Ekeler = immediate success.

Logic, you beat me to it.  I would add it is a two horse race.  The Bills Mgmt team could easily be poached to Houston.  Then  we have a new GM with Watson as QB with Bills ties, and I’m betting it is a horse race between the two.

Whether it’s being happy for one of the GM candidates, or just simply Daboll, it is a great compliment to our seniors staff for grooming these guys.

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd place a large wager that Daboll will be coaching the Chargers next year.

Went to high school with their GM, Tom Telesco, and would be walking into a ready-to-go roster. 

Daboll+Herbert+Williams, Allen, Henry, & Ekeler = immediate success.

Being in the same division as Mahomes would suck.  

Texans is attractive.  The division is wide open and only one team has a premier QB.

• Like (+1) 1

I may be in the minority, but I think the Jets job is pretty attractive, certainly better than Houston or Detroit.  (1) The Jets have a ton of premium picks in the upcoming draft, including number 2 overall; (2) they finally have a good GM who will be using those picks and have already added some excellent talent last year, including a franchise LT; (3) they have a decent QB situation in that you could ride with Darnold for another year or, if you don't like him, you're in a great position to add Fields or whoever you want other than Lawrence in April; (4) they've got a pretty good defense already in place, so you would be free to laser-focus on adding offensive weapons.  Downside is that it's going to be a tough division over the next 4-5 years...      

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Texans is attractive.  The division is wide open and only one team has a premier QB.

I agree, but I find it hard to believe that someone as competitive as most NFL coaches are wouldn't welcome the challenge.

Houston would, indeed, be an attractive opening, but not as attractive as the Chargers, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Disagree.  That roster is depleted and they have no draft picks.  They've got Deshaun Watson, but as we've seen, that's not enough.

7 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

If he goes anywhere, this might be OK for us. JHC himself couldn’t turn that team around in less than 5 years. 

I don't think Daboll wants to face Allen or McD's D twice a year IMO. Its clearly not a recipe for success.

Dabolls has arguably one of the best young QB's in the league to work with combined with McD's D and the expertise of Bills GM , Brandon Beane building the team around Allen.

Its not going to be easy duplicating what McBeane has done, and finding another Josh Allen,

Good luck with that , because your going to need it.  

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Alot of Jets fans NOT happy about this.  They do not want Daboll or a Coordinator.  They want a HC from college.  

I think a couple of years of Manish Mehta would work great for the Jests. Johnson is just clueless enough to buy it, too!

2 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Even Houston isn’t that good. Deshaun Watson I’d like Dak. Will put up big numbers but can’t win.

To me Houston would be a great landing spot for Daboll

DC like Wade Phillips

Edited by Figster

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Realistically how much better than Herbert is Mahomes? He is in year 4 but Herbert just had the best season of any rookie QB in NFL history and he didn't even start week 1.  Hard to see Mahomes being head and shoulders above Herbert. He might be better but it won't be Allen vs Tua.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Yeah, I think Houston is the real threat to poach Daboll.  It's not an aggressive move to take your first HC gig against Mahomes/Reid.  It's a foolhardy one, especially if you've got a wide open division and a franchise QB in place like everyone's said.

While the idea of Watson is a real advantage for any HC candidate I do have to ask one question.

The new Houston HC will work for who?

HC candidates will want to know one thing.  Who is the GM (my boss)?

32 minutes ago, mannc said:

Disagree.  That roster is depleted and they have no draft picks.  They've got Deshaun Watson, but as we've seen, that's not enough.

True - but you don't typically take a job for immediate success.  They need a GM as well.  If said GM is say - Caserio from NE.  There's some history there, and the goal is to build a multi-year contender.  You do that with a franchise QB, which they already have.

I don’t get the “jets is a bad job” argument. They have on their roster a potential franchise QB and the #2 pick in the draft.  Their D will be better next year with Mosley and others coming back. Plus, NY is obviously a huge media market.

I suspect Dabs is competitive too, and would like going against his former teams and colleagues twice per year (Patriots, Bills, Flores in Miami). 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t get the “jets is a bad job” argument. They have on their roster a potential franchise QB and the #2 pick in the draft.  Their D will be better next year with Mosley and others coming back. Plus, NY is obviously a huge media market.

I suspect Dabs is competitive too, and would like going against his former teams and colleagues twice per year (Patriots, Bills, Flores in Miami). 

I don’t think it’s a good position. You need to evaluate Darnold and move on (I think).

If you miss on that decision you’re already half way out the door. Compare that to the Chargers job. 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That is the GMs job to make that decision.  The HC plays with what the GM gives him.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean does he have to can't he just pretend to be not feeling well and tell them to call later, next time screen the call.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Alot of Jets fans NOT happy about this.  They do not want Daboll or a Coordinator.  They want a HC from college.  

Really I've seen plenty of Jets fans on their forum with him as a top pick but not thinking they'll get him.

9 minutes ago, Putin said:

God no please anyone BUT the jests 

Honestly the Jets would be a dream for us as a team. He goes there the team continues to be a garbage fire do to bad ownership and we get him back after a few years. But I wouldn't really wish that on him.

17 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t think it’s a good position. You need to evaluate Darnold and move on (I think).

If you miss on that decision you’re already half way out the door. Compare that to the Chargers job. 

Yeah, I agree that the Chargers are a better spot now given what they have on that roster. But in this thread, people think Daboll would be “brain dead” for taking the Jets job. It’s not that bad of a job. Probably better than Jax, which is a totally dead-end football and media market. 

8 minutes ago, Yav said:

Pay that man his money. 

Make it so good he won't want to leave.

That’s what I was thinking make him an offer he can’t refuse , 

But on a serious note if we win the SB this year and he’s got an opportunity to move up in his profession I wish him all the best , I just hope that it’s a team that I can actually root for ,

Edited by Putin

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Realistically how much better than Herbert is Mahomes? He is in year 4 but Herbert just had the best season of any rookie QB in NFL history and he didn't even start week 1.  Hard to see Mahomes being head and shoulders above Herbert. He might be better but it won't be Allen vs Tua.

I'd say considerably better.  Mahomes career YPA is over a yard higher than Herbert.  Same with Mahomes NY/A and ANY/A.  Sure - he has Kelce and Hill (occaisionally watkins too).  But Herbert has Allen (best slot WR in the NFL), Hunter Henry (top 5 TE), and one of the best receiving backs in the NFL in Ekeler.  

Mahomes is an MVP winner, Super bowl MVP, and Super bowl winner.  The guy slings it all over the field, has a cannon, and plays his best football in crunch time. 

Herbert had moments this year, however his top 3 targets (henry, allen, ekeler) all had aDOTs under 8 yards.  He also had about 150 RB targets where they all had a sub 0 aDOT.  Thats basically if 2/3 targets went to cole beasley and singletary.  Not to say that he can't make downfield throws, because he did - just trying to say that he did not attack down field as much, or as often.

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yeah, I agree that the Chargers are a better spot now given what they have on that roster. But in this thread, people think Daboll would be “brain dead” for taking the Jets job. It’s not that bad of a job. Probably better than Jax, which is a totally dead-end football and media market. 

Seems like as well as the Bills have played these past few months that he went from borderline HC to the HC that picks his job first. 

I’d be surprised if he chose NY or Jax.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think the Chargers is a much more realistic possibility

QB in place

Good organization

I'm hearing Daboll has his choice of places to go this year. My guess would be the Chargers with so much talent on offense and Herbert looking a lot like Allen. Herbert had 4336 passing yards and 31 TDs.

Keenen Allen, Hunter Henry, Austin Eckler...

No brainer. 

21 minutes ago, Yav said:

Pay that man his money. 

Make it so good he won't want to leave.

If I'm not mistaken, from a slip by Kirby Jackson statement that Daboll might already be one of the highest paid OC's in the NFL.

Anyway, doubt he stays, as the LA chargers look so juicy.