Do we rest the starters next week?

bills6969

McD doesn't strike me as a coach to rest everyone.  I think Yeldon will get action (did Gore get a single snap yesterday?). And I'm hoping Duke gets action too.  I expect that young DE we have to get more snaps, his name escapes me at the.moment.  

But overall I expect our starters to play

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Good game to experiment on offense to find something that works. 

Exactly this ^^^^ !!!

This should be like a 3rd preseason game 

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by Putin

Well i never thought id imagine making this post. We are clinched into the 5 seed. Cant do better or worse... play the Jets week 17. So do we get our starters a rest and a bye week or do we try and win and carry momentum into the playoffs. Ive seen both options work in the past. Ideally Barkley leading us to a victory could be huge. Gives us confidence in our team as a whole and be able to get guys a week off.

Also do we even prepare for the Jets or start preparing for Houston?

Edited by Kmart128

Resting starters seems contrary to the one-game-at-a-time approach that has been in place all year.  Rest those who are dinged up, play the rest of the team selectively with the focus on winning the game.  Keep the groupings together, beat the Jets, and approach the first playoff game with momentum.

(Well, that, and the Jets deserve another ass-whoopin'.)

Edited by Keukasmallies
  • Like (+1) 1

I can’t come up with a single reason to play anyone that matters. The game is completely meaningless. It’s just like a 4th preseason game. The only thing you can do, is get someone hurt. Do not put anyone important out there for even 1 snap. I don’t care if we lose to the jets 95-0. Just use the whole week to start game planning for Houston and KC. And get every player that matters an extra full week to get healthy and fresh. Do not play anyone even half of a quarter. It’s week 17. They have all played plenty. They do not need to play a quarter against a dirty Greg Williams team with nothing to lose. Be smart people.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

McD doesn't strike me as a coach to rest everyone.  I think Yeldon will get action (did Gore get a single snap yesterday?). And I'm hoping Duke gets action too.  I expect that young DE we have to get more snaps, his name escapes me at the.moment.  

But overall I expect our starters to play

If I remember correctly, Gore was in when Dawkins caught the touchdown pass.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Resting starters seems contrary to the one-game-at-a-time approach that has been in place all year.  Rest those who are dinged up, play the rest of the team selectively with the focus on winning the game.  Keep the groupings together, beat the Jets, and approach the first playoff game with momentum.

(Well, that, and the Jets deserve another ass-whoopin'.)

Totally agree.  I think that resting starters just to rest them would undermine everything that McDermott and his staff have worked hard to instill into this team all season.  This is a very young team with virtually no playoff experience as a unit.  They need the continuity of mentally preparing and then playing to win a game, whether they're 10-5 or 5-10.  I have no problem with the Bills liberally interspersing backups into the lineup to give them game experience but I don't think the Bills should go into the game with the attitude being communicated to the players that the game is meaningless.

I would play the starters and pull them is we have a big lead or down by a lot. I don't think going into the playoffs on a losing streak is the best approach for this team. I do think though, if a starter is dinged up and would be "questionable" or a game time decision, then sit them out, but if they are healthy, play them.

I rest Gore again, I send him to the Bahamas for the week, we need a second back option and he needs the energy he had the first part of the season. Same with Morris and any other dinged up player. I let Allen play the first half and let him throw it all over the place to get used to doing it. I put Duke out there and tell him to show me something.

After the bye, we were down 14-9 to the Fins going into the 4th quarter and looked pretty sluggish.

I think you have to play non-nicked starters for at least the 1st half. 

I definitely don't want Allen 'resting'.  I want him learning & competing as much as possible, every week.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

McDermott wont rest anyone unless we are blowing them out in the 4th.

Why do so many people say that? In the pre-season, the starters didn't start more than the league average. He's never been in this position so I find it weird people assume what he'll do

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Why do so many people say that? In the pre-season, the starters didn't start more than the league average. He's never been in this position so I find it weird people assume what he'll do

Hopefully he saw how the bye week affected us.  For some reason we don't play well rested.  Our best game was the short week vs. Cowboys.

As much as I hate the Patriots the Bills may be better off with yesterday’s loss. The likelihood of the Dolphins beating the Pats next week in Foxborough is remote. The Bills would still end up the five seed. Now the Jet game can be a bit like a buy.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely

...other than pride, no difference now at 11-5 vs 10-6........rest them for portion and/or all of the game.....many have said McD is the impediment to Daboll play calling......so take away McD's head set, handcuff and duct tape him, so we can unleash (??) Daboll.......let's see what he has or has NOT with no purported leash......sure would define the legitimacy of his resume' showing ANNUAL OC stops (except for Mangini in Cleveland) ...is he the real deal or not?...sure as hell need to know for 2020.....

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

As much as I hate the Patriots the Bills may be better off with yesterday’s loss. The likelihood of the Dolphins beating the Pats next week in Foxborough is remote. The Bills would still end up the five seed. Now the Jet game can be a bit like a buy.

I really think this went into the game plan. Looked vanilla to me.