Source of Devin's fumbling troubles

Wiz

He didn't have a fumbling problem in college with a heavy workload.  The one from last night was a perfect play by Watt where I think most RBs may have coughed it up.  And the 2nd one was really close to not being a fumble.  I'd have to go back and watch it again, but I remember thinking his knee may have been down before the ball came out anyway.  It never actually mattered because the Bills recovered.  But whatever.....  He's a rookie and will continue to work on things.  Not worried about it at all right now.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m sure they’ll coach him up on fighting for extra yards and securing the football. Pats always go for the strip as well, so it will be a focal point. A quick check of NFL combine numbers for RBs does confirm Singletary’s hands are small for an NFL player. Still, I think it’s more about ball position while carrying than his hands alone. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, he has the highest fumbling rate in the nfl, and by a significant percentage ...

If it wasnt for the ones last night you wouldnt be saying that. One game doesnt indicate a trend or a significant problem. Its just a game. 1 game. Versus 1 of the best D's in the league who make a concerted effort to knock the ball out.

If people want to be really concerned by this thats their choice, me personally I see it as it was... just 1 game where the ball came out a couple times.

I'm sure Devin & the rest of the staff will put extra emphasis on ball security this week in practice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wiz said:

His hands are just fine. 

He needs to adjust a bit how he holds the ball. 

Not used to getting run down from behind or held up and punched at.

I don't know if you've noticed but Josh Allen is adjusting and it's helping.  Kept the ball in against some vicious punching by Watt.  Guy would be arrested for assault out on the street.  "Bills Claw"

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

He didn't have a fumbling problem in college with a heavy workload.  The one from last night was a perfect play by Watt where I think most RBs may have coughed it up.  And the 2nd one was really close to not being a fumble.  I'd have to go back and watch it again, but I remember thinking his knee may have been down before the ball came out anyway.  It never actually mattered because the Bills recovered.  But whatever.....  He's a rookie and will continue to work on things.  Not worried about it at all right now.

The second fumble he has to recognize players in the nfl will catch him from behind when he is in the second level- as soon as he feels contact he must 2 point the rock.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One game does not constitute fumble problems

I thought he had fumbling issues before last night. That was a surprise because he was advertised as a guy who was an extreme non-fumbler in college. Clearly, though, this isn’t mid-major D1 football anymore.

3 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

Usually i'd worry, but Steelers actively punch (Both player and ball) so can understand the fumbles.

No issue. He stepped up when needed and was huge again

I imagine he will probably take time to study his opponents going forward, and if they show a tendency to punch the ball out, he'll try to wrap up better.  You could see Pittsburgh focusing on the punching though.  

• Like (+1) 1