Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

• Like (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

One team averaging 21 ppg made the playoffs. The rest were all over 25 ppg. 

25 is the right number, it would get you into the top ten in scoring. For atleast the past two seasons 21 is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

You’re just excited that he knows he needs to score. I get it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 3

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because he didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

Welcome to TBD!!! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 6

21 is plenty when you have one of the top defenses in the league. Defense still wins championships. New England Is superbowl champ this year because they stomped those high powered offenses with good defense... Good O will just get you that flashy good record and into the playoffs(would be nice to have this too).. ?

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

25 is the right number, it would get you into the top ten in scoring. For atleast the past two seasons 21 is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. 

Shows how much you know...25 minus 21 equals 4!! How the hell do you expect us to score another 4 points every week?? Answer: Two safeties. #defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Scoring "21 points, at least, every game" implies that they score more than that other times.  Therefore, the average is not 21, it has to be higher.  If you have an offense that scores 21 as a minimum during the season, it's pretty darn good and likely averages closer to 30 than 21.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

To those who said McD doesn't get it or doesn't want to play in today's NFL with a high-powered Offense and is committed to putting those pieces in place, simply weren't paying attention. McD and Beane had a plan all along, the first year provided some false hope because the Defense played lights out and the caught some lucky bounces (all playoff teams do to some degree) and then their plan was further revealed when Richie and Wood retired leaving really big holes on the line. 

They emphasized their strengths on Defense and knew it was going to take a couple years to put their Offense together. Rome wasn't built in a day. That said, this is the year when we should see true, measurable improvement on Offense and the Defense shouldn't take a big step backwards. They may regress to the mean a little, but we should go top 5 to bottom 5 is my point. There will always be an ebb and flow of teams, even the *Cheats do this because personnel changes so drastically from year to year. But, I think we see a more complete team IMHO - Offense - Defense - Special Teams. 

How well they do with their record...that's another issue altogether. 

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dear God, are we really "concerned" because McDermott said 21 because didn't check the stat books before his interview and say a higher number? Are you REALLY concerned by this? :rolleyes: He is saying he knows the offense needs to be better. Simple. 

I’m not one to be super picky but yes it’s a little odd that the coach isn’t aware of the amount of scoring it takes to win at his job. You don’t find that odd? It’s like a rocket scientist that doesn’t know the distance to the moon.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This board is truly amazing.  You realize it's the same posters complaining that he used 21 as his number who also believed he wanted to win 9-7 every game, right?

When you say "we need to score at least 21 each game to have a chance at sustained success" you understand today's NFL.  Period.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not one to be super picky but yes it’s a little odd that the coach isn’t aware of the amount of scoring it takes to win at his job. You don’t find that odd? It’s like a rocket scientist that doesn’t know the distance to the moon.

It takes a different amount of scoring to win every single week.

Some weeks it may be 21.  Some weeks it may be 42.  Some weeks it may be 10.

No matter what the average comes out to, he was making a generalized statement that his offense needs to be better.

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

To those who said McD doesn't get it or doesn't want to play in today's NFL with a high-powered Offense and is committed to putting those pieces in place, simply weren't paying attention. McD and Beane had a plan all along, the first year provided some false hope because the Defense played lights out and the caught some lucky bounces (all playoff teams do to some degree) and then their plan was further revealed when Richie and Wood retired leaving really big holes on the line. 

They emphasized their strengths on Defense and knew it was going to take a couple years to put their Offense together. Rome wasn't built in a day. That said, this is the year when we should see true, measurable improvement on Offense and the Defense shouldn't take a big step backwards. They may regress to the mean a little, but we should go top 5 to bottom 5 is my point. There will always be an ebb and flow of teams, even the *Cheats do this because personnel changes so drastically from year to year. But, I think we see a more complete team IMHO - Offense - Defense - Special Teams. 

How well they do with their record...that's another issue altogether. 

The moment they selected Josh Allen, it should have been obvious what their goals were.

They didn't draft a safe check-down machine.  They drafted the riskiest guy with the biggest ceiling, whose biggest flaw as a rookie was throwing TOO MANY passes downfield.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

No matter what the average comes out to, he was making a generalized statement that his offense needs to be better.

The moment they selected Josh Allen, it should have been obvious what their goals were.

They didn't draft a safe check-down machine.  They drafted the riskiest guy with the biggest ceiling, whose biggest flaw as a rookie was throwing TOO MANY passes downfield.

Agreed. They would have stuck with Tyrod if they wanted to play defense and try to win games 10-7.

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Quibbling over whether the number is 21 or 25 is really bizarre.  Its almost as if they think that McD says 21 is the maximum, not the minimum.  As if they think he will tell his offense once they get to 21 that they can stop scoring.  

Offenses take time to build.  Especially when you are starting with a new QB.  McD knows that, and I think every one in the organization knows that.  As an aside, that is part of the reason I think McD will not face a hot seat for a few years.  If he was worried about his job security within 4 years, he would not have drafted the rawest QB prospect in year 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm worried if he still thinks 21 is the magic number. It has to be higher than that now. But in principle, yes, I think he knows you have to score to win.

If we're talking about consistent winning, the number seems to be 24. At least from what I've garnered.

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Some folks clearly don’t know what an ‘average’ is. Yes, the score changes from week to week! But what the statistics show is that averaging 21 points isn’t going to get you  where you want to go. Basic math is clearly more of a challenge for modern day America than we thought it was.

2 hours ago, eball said:

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

Wow, 21 points per game?  You mean like the 2018 Jets?

3 hours ago, eball said:

From the combine:

I like McD but this quote does nothing for me.   Every fan knows the importance of scoring in today’s game - it’s not noteworthy to me that our coach does too.  

The open question is if he can deliver on his intentions.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3

No doubt McCoach sees the league trending toward offensive coaches and knows he'll come under some fire for that. And in his first public comments since the season, he tries to get out front of that concern that he's a square peg in a round hole. 

Still, he's also the guy who talked after one game this season about sure they'd love to score 50 points per but it wasn't realistic. And now he's gone the opposite way by saying they don't want to win games 9-7, another criticism leveled after last season. It puts him right there at this 21 points per discussion.

I'm still not seeing any innovation or departure from his background. He and the GM didn't spend big on defensive free agents or use 2 1st round picks on that side of the ball their first 2 off-seasons to try and run and gun. 

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Understand the goal of 25, but we averaged only 16 - 17 last year.  With that in mind I think an improvement to 21 would be a realistic goal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

He said "at least" 21 a game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Why are people ignoring the 'at least' part. He's saying 21 is the least you can score in a game and have a chance to win meaning he wants to score more. 

Quit trying to ruin the "MO" we apply here on TBD!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

With some of these comments, it sure will be interesting when the BILLS finally win the Superbowl.  You gotta know there will be some negative comments, just because...lol

Go Bills!

Edited by Perk71
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

He says they have to score "at least 21 points"every game or wants to so i think he gets it as what they need to do in todays game which makes it even more confusing to me why a lot of the mock drafts have the Bills taking a DT with their pick at 9 when they know the enfaces has to be on the O line first in order for Allen & the offense to advance !!

There were some weeks they would have needed to score 47 to win.  I get his point, they need to score a lot more than what they were.  Get some offensive skill position help, as well as a better OLine, that should go a ways to helping.

As far as needing 47 to win, get rid of the cover 2, bend don't break, get run over defense and that should help.

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

He said at least 21 points. That is a minimum, not an average.

I like McD just fine but I'm done listening.  I don't care if he said 21, 25, 35 or 50.  It's all words - get it done.  

We've had a few acceptable passing seasons in the past 2 decades+.  

Build an NFL offense and spend everything possible on it.  

If we draft a DT with that first pick.....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1