Music to my ears...McD on offense

eball

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Just got ***** and giggles.. If they scored 21 points every game last season they would of won one more game.. 

This is an excellent post and a great point. 

McDermott prides himself on every detail, everything has been thought of. 

But 21 points in every loss buys the Bills 3 more wins out of 17. 

So he says that confidently, but 21 doesn't beat good teams. 

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is the Head Coach. On the headset, listening to every play call. He has final say on Game Day, the statement in bold isn't going to fly. 

The offense has been atrocious under Beane/McDermott thus far. 

So okay, we all accept all the excuses from Year 1 and Year 2. Done. Are we going to get some results in Year 3, or is it too much to ask to climb out of the 30's in offense?

If you think the offense the first 2 years is the offense he "built" then I don't know what to tell you dude.  He clearly didnt build year one, and year 2 was it torn down so it can be built back up.  Honestly do not know how this is confusing to you.

Lets say you are a contractor who buys a house to live in while he remodels it for a flip.  When do you analyze the quality of that contractors overall work?

• When he first closes escrow and moves his stuff into the house?
  • During the process of the remodel where he has torn most the things out?
  • When the house is actually complete and ready to be sold or lived in?

You are obsessed with stages 1 and 2 with no patience to see stage 3.  Got news for you, stages 1 and 2 are always necessary on a remodel just like they are on a rebuild.  Sometimes a coach can enter the picture with part of the rebuild started.  Like when McVay took over the Rams and it had talent on D, its franchise QB already on the roster, and an elite RB to help his offense.  Thats like taking over a house that already had the heavy lifting done and now you just gotta come in and add the amenities.  Much quicker flip, much quicker team rebuild.  

McD didnt have that luxury.  And what he and Beane have done in 2 combined seasons is pretty encouraging.  Year 3 (or year 2 for Beane) is now about doing the finishing work to really make the place shine.  And if they don't do a good job, they will be on the hot seat.  But their body of work is not what they did to get here, its what they do NOW that we are ready for this stage.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets say you are a contractor who busy a house to live in while you remodel it for a flip.  When do you analyze the quality of that contractors overall work?

You are obsessed with stages 1 and 2 with no patience to see stage 3.  Got news for you, stages 1 and 2 are always necessary on a remodel just like they are on a rebuild.  Sometimes a coach can enter the picture with part of the rebuild started.  Like when McVay took over the Rams and it had talent on D, its franchise QB already on the roster, and an elite RB to help his offense.  Thats like taking over a house that already had the heavy lifting done and now you just gotta come in and add the amenities.  Much quicker flip, much quicker team rebuild.

Can we assume that in this analogy the house they inherited was worth $24.9 million? And after 1 year of work it was worth $18.9M, and after 2 years of work it was worth $16.8M? Here's hoping they break even eventually!

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Can we assume that in this analogy the house they inherited was worth $24.9 million? And after 1 year of work it was worth $18.9M, and after 2 years of work it was worth $16.8M? Here's hoping they break even eventually!

Well a house under unfinished construction is gonna be worth less than before it was, so this actually works in the analogy too ha

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If you think the offense the first 2 years is the offense he "built" then I don't know what to tell you dude.  He clearly didnt build year one, and year 2 was it torn down so it can be built back up.  Honestly do not know how this is confusing to you.

Lets say you are a contractor who busy a house to live in while you remodel it for a flip.  When do you analyze the quality of that contractors overall work?

McD didnt have that luxury.  And what he and Beane have done in 2 combined seasons is pretty encouraging.  Year 3 (or year 2 for Beane) is now about doing the finishing work to really make the place shine.  And if they don't do a good job, they will be on the hot seat.  But their body of work is not what they did to get here, its what they do NOW that we are ready for this stage.  

He said in his Combine interview yesterday that one of his goals was to be an astute talent evaluator, in addition to teaching the players fundametals, and scheming. He is very much involved in Player Personnel decisions. 

It's not confusing to me at all. What is encouraging by the way? A 3-point loss against Jacksonville? That's supposed to go in the Trophy collection, especially after the 6-10 stinker of a season that followed?

Beane and McDermott chose to tear down the building. This is professional sports, not a little league team. Only in Buffalo do you get credit for shipping away talent and talking about multi-year rebuilds. After that puff interview with Daboll, they can't use the Josh Allen is young excuse this season. They have cap space, the culture, the picks, the ownership backing and their hand picked QB. 

WHEN can fans expect results? When? Yeah, Buffalo fans have no patience, they haven't sat through 20 years of this crap, listening to 5-year plan after rebuild plan after reboot plan, etc. It's always some excuse about continuity, the right culture, patience. The Jets have a new HC, the Dolphins have a new HC. Why can't the winning start this year? 

I'm not here to call for Beane or McDermott to get fired, but why isn't the expectation 10 wins and a solid Playoff birth (maybe, gas,p, a win!) this season? Not a soft goal like "competing for a Wildcard". 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, you just doubled down on the same thing.  We can agree to disagree.  Clearly you have a certain narrative of McD and see evidence to fill that.  I see the scope of what he said, how he coached, and everything both he and McD and Beane said and done to believe the 21 point reference is not the meat of what he is saying.  

What narrative do I have? That our offenses under McD have been poor and people have concerns over whether he can field a good offense? That’s not me pushing some narrative, it’s reality.

Edited by Bangarang

7 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Why are people ignoring the 'at least' part. He's saying 21 is the least you can score in a game and have a chance to win meaning he wants to score more. 

Cuz it’s what we do here. Basic human survival. Unlike the sun, we ain’t very bright, so our instinct is viewing our sports teams in the same vein as our weather. Perpetually gray.. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why do fans think interviews and press conferences mean anything? They are just throwing crap at the media to meet their quota. They obviously know the offense needs to improve.

I felt these particular comments were important -- not because they revealed any secrets, but because they directly address the irrational fear by many fans that McD just wants to grind out low scoring wins and doesn't "understand" what it takes to win in "today's NFL."

9 hours ago, eball said:

From the combine:

“I know my background was defense, but I’m not a defensive coach who wants to win 9-7 every week,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a healthy way to become a legitimate contender and sustain success. We want to be able to score 21 points, at least, every game. You’re doing yourself a disservice if you’re not building your roster and your team to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. We used to set goals like holding a team under 17 (per game). How many teams do that anymore? Maybe one team per year. You have to be able to score points in this league.”

This should put to rest any of the comments I've read on this board that McD doesn't "understand" today's NFL or doesn't get it.

That sucks...  21ppg puts you at 21st ranked offense.

So this actually puts everyone in a state of panic.

Edited by Boca BIlls

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I felt these particular comments were important -- not because they revealed any secrets, but because they directly address the irrational fear by many fans that McD just wants to grind out low scoring wins and doesn't "understand" what it takes to win in "today's NFL."

He did start Nathan Peterman in two straight seasons, genuinely believing that he had "what it takes to win in today's NFL."

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Except it showed he doesn't know ***** about what it takes to win in todays NFL.

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He did start Nathan Peterman in two straight seasons, genuinely believing that he had "what it takes to win in today's NFL."

Every coach deserves one free indefensible-support-of-a-crappy-player card.  McD used his.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm giving him a pass for 2017.  Didn't know he was that crappy the first time he played him.

Myself and many others did. And besides, even if you give him a pass the first time, he had the knowledge that he was terrible the second time, and refused to see it right in front of his face. I'm very much hoping McD and Beane can find several good players in FA, the draft, and trades, and if they do, this could be a pretty good to very good team. But there is nothing, literally nothing, that would make me bet on it. So far, McD is batting about .113 on offense.

I personally think it's alarming McDermott failed to say "at least 24 points," because it does a big disservice to Hauschka and plays down his ability to hit field goals. I mean, it's a clear shot at the PK, because McDermott is clearly insinuating that the Bills can only score TDs and can't hit field goals.

This is terrible. Just terrible because he's not even paying lip service to his special teams group, which struggled last year, and are now under a new staff.

I'd say it's cause for alarm.

jw

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I personally think it's alarming McDermott failed to say "at least 24 points," because it does a big disservice to Hauschka and plays down his ability to hit field goals. I mean, it's a clear shot at the PK, because McDermott is clearly insinuating that the Bills can only score TDs and can't hit field goals.

This is terrible. Just terrible because he's not even paying lip service to his special teams group, which struggled last year, and are now under a new staff.

I'd say it's cause for alarm.

jw

I think he was probably thinking two TDs, a missed extra point, two field goals and a safety.

• Haha (+1) 1