Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

I think one of Streeter/Holmes makes it but not both. If they are comfortable with Ray Ray Kerley could be odd man out.

I think it'll end up:

1. KB

2. Zay

3. Coleman

4. Streeter

5. Ray Ray

6. Dupre/Reilly 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

We really haven’t see anything from Kurley and really haven’t heard anything of him. I think Ray-Ray surprises and beats him out. I also think Zay will start at slot. 

That's probably because he's old and they know they want him starting.

My guess is we keep:

Benjamin

Kerley

Zay

Coleman

Holmes

Ray-Ray

Coleman, I say he definitely makes this team. As long as he putting in the time and showing the coaches he's willing to work they'll keep him. They traded for him because they were unhappy with the their options and didn't feel comfortable with the players who would of occupied the 4th and 5th slots

Either Holmes or Kerley will be a surprise cut. My money would probably be on Kerley. Ray Ray has played very well so far and imagine he can do a lot of the same things Kerley would do for us but with the upside of being much younger with more potential. Before pre-season kicked off i thought Kerley would be a lock simply because he was the most experienced receiver on our roster.

Coleman probably makes it simply because of his speed and Allen's arm. Man what we would give up to have Goodwin on this team still.

46 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I think one of Streeter/Holmes makes it but not both. If they are comfortable with Ray Ray Kerley could be odd man out.

I think it'll end up:

1. KB

2. Zay

3. Coleman

4. Streeter

5. Ray Ray

6. Dupre/Reilly 

This is the group that I want as well. Reilly can bring that ST presence that we would miss from Holmes and I think that Ray Ray can be effective in the slot.

46 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Yeah I forgot about Streater. One of Streater/Holmes/Kerley is definitely being cut I think. Ray Ray and Coleman are both young and have too much potential to not keep.

Even though it was for just a 7th, I dont see this team cutting someone they just dealt for unless he is a complete mess.

Kerley, Holmes, Streeter are more likely they guys that get cut if they need the room to keep some of the other WRs. Pluses they probably figure they can stash 1 or 2 on the PS.

The only locks on the roster at WR is Benjamin and Jones (Jones would most likely be traded before they would think about cutting him)

What I would like is below.  Streater looks really good, but if they are looking to the future doesn't seem to make sense to keep him over Reilly or Ray Ray - he is 30 and has an injury history, and I do think no ST could hurt him.  Streater's real competition for a roster spot could be O'Leary, K. Lee, Logan Thomas or Croom.  Can't keep four tight ends and 7 wideouts, can we?  Keep Streater or Holmes, but not both please:  I also think Kaelin Clay could be Coleman's competition - they are both vertical guys.  I would not automatically assume it is Coleman as they seem to like K. Clay too.  I don't think this admin much cares about draft position (Dareus, Gilmore).

1. Benji

2. Kerley

3. Zay

4. Holmes

5. Ray Ray

6. Reilly

7. K. Clay/Coleman

8. Streater?

Edited by MarlinTheMagician
Typo in numbering

My current ranking 

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Coleman Holmes

WR 5:  McLeod

WR 6:  Streater

WR 7:  Holmes

WR 8:  Reilly

WR 9:  Clay

WR 10:  Dupre

WR 11:  Phillips

WR 12:  Foster

WR 13:  Proehl 

So depending on what they keep 5,6,7 there are the cut lines. 

Reilly - PS

Phillips - PS 

if they put more WRs on PS in the following order. 

Foster - PS

Proehl - PS 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Foster is not making this team. You have more chance than him at being on the 53.

Notice I put him or Kerley as a maybe for a 7th spot.  They may not keep 7 WR’s, if so neither will make the roster.  But foster had a better week of practice after the bad outing and Daboll coached him in college.  He has a shot still IMO.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Notice I put him or Kerley as a maybe for a 7th spot.  They may not keep 7 WR’s, if so neither will make the roster.  But foster had a better week of practice after the bad outing and Daboll coached him in college.  He has a shot still IMO.  

And then hardly got on the field against Cleveland. I think he has zero shot at the 53. He is in a battle with Proehl, Reilly and Dupre for a spot on the PS. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And then hardly got on the field against Cleveland. I think he has zero shot at the 53. He is in a battle with Proehl, Reilly and Dupre for a spot on the PS. 

I’m not arguing for the kid, or even disagree with you really, I just haven’t sealed his fate.  I think we will only keep 6 WRs only anyway and neither him or Kerley make it.  But if we keep 7, listed Kerley or Foster as who I think would take the 7th spot, and it probably would be Kerley.  But Foster I listed as well because he was having better practices and Daboll coached him in college, so he has more insight on him.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Coleman doesn't make the 53.  We have no deep threats and teams typically don't trade picks (even late ones) during preseason for a guy not making the active roster.

Edited by SCBills

14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Other than special teams, Holmes doesn't seem like a top 5 receiver on this team. It will be interesting to see who the odd man out is.

Holmes is the #2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

They have more at WR than people think. 

We have like 5 guys that could be solid backups on any other team, the problem is Kelvin Benjamin is our only WR that would start on any other team.

Right now it looks like Benjamin, Jones, and Kerley are locks. Kerley has been starting in the slot in practice. I think Coleman has to make the team too because no one else has his skill set. Personally I'd give the other 2 spots to McCloud and Streater. More likely Holmes will take one of those spots though.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m not arguing for the kid, or even disagree with you really, I just haven’t sealed his fate.  I think we will only keep 6 WRs only anyway and neither him or Kerley make it.  But if we keep 7, listed Kerley or Foster as who I think would take the 7th spot, and it probably would be Kerley.  But Foster I listed as well because he was having better practices and Daboll coached him in college, so he has more insight on him.

What is the reason he didn't get more than a few snaps at the end of the 4th against Cleveland then? Compared to the week before (even with Reilly out) his snaps went way down and comparable guys like Proehl and Cam Phillips (who in fairness was injured week 1) overtook him in time on the field. 

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the all the Hate this group receives, some team is gonna be happy to snatch up 1or 2 of our cuts. I hope we can sign a couple guys back to the PS, but every other team gets 1st dibs.

I doubt there will be any takers.  I don't know if Streater had any FA visits when he was available last yr.   That's why Coleman's skill is more valuable and not as replaceable as Streaters.  

Looking at other preseason games, all teams have 3rd string WRs that look great in August

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have like 5 guys that could be solid backups on any other team, the problem is Kelvin Benjamin is our only WR that would start on any other team.

Right now it looks like Benjamin, Jones, and Kerley are locks. Kerley has been starting in the slot in practice. I think Coleman has to make the team too because no one else has his skill set. Personally I'd give the other 2 spots to McCloud and Streater. More likely Holmes will take one of those spots though.

Truth.

Also remember that most of the hate for this group was prior to the draft and FA signings, at least it was from me.

I also agree that we really only have one true starter caliber receiver and a bunch of backups, though Jones and Coleman have some talent and if they can progress as they should they will be good.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m not sold on Holmes being a Lock. Sure, he’s made memorable catches, but he has for other teams as well and still found himself out looking for a job. IMO, IF he’s cut, it would mean we have a underrated WR group who could open some eyes across the League. It appears we may finally have a WR Friendly passer. #Unchartered territory ‘round these parts!

The proof is in where the players are taking reps. Holmes was injured for an entire week during training camp. He comes back and immediately starts the first preseason game as the #2 WR.

Everything indicates that he has worked very hard this offseason and Daboll likes him. Not to mention he's a valuable special teams asset.

I would be absolutely shocked if Holmes was cut.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting conversation from Sal Carpaccio on WGR this morning.  He thinks Rod Streater’s basically solidified a roster spot.  That means that the top 5 WR are filled with:

WR1:  Benjamin

WR 2:  Jones

WR 3:  Kerley

WR 4:  Holmes

WR 5:  Streater

That leaves quite the competition for WR including:

Corey Coleman

Ray Ray McLeod

Austin Prohl

Brandon Reilly

Malachi Dupre

Kalin Clay

Cam Phillips

Bob Foster

Does Buffalo keep 7 WR’s?  Maybe but I’m betting against it.  You have a group of WR’s competing for 1 spot.  

I remember Beane saying as a GM you don’t want to cut draft picks.  He almost certainly will this year but will be cut McLeod a 6th round or Prohl who he drafted in the 7th and has a personal relationship with.  

Then there’s Coleman.  Has he done enough to even beat out a McLeod?  Is his potential and past high draft status enough to warrant a spot?  Or does the fact the Bills invested a future pick mean he’s sticking around?  

And then there are guys like Reilly, Clay and Dupre who the Bills like but might not have the room.

Who do you have as the final WR on this roster?

To me Jones isn't a shoe in to make the roster the guy hasn't proven any thing ! In the game against the Browns i didn't see him make any impact at all & i for sure didn't see any one targeting him to make that difference & he didn't draw any heavy coverage by the Browns D .

Holmes has the ST thing on his side along with his experience so i think he has more of a chance to stick with all the talk about Cam Phillips in training camp & if Ray Ray continues to impress i think it's a open race for any of them to make the team .

As McD says they have to earn the right to be on the team so just being a vet doesn't mean some of those will make the team & a number of them have practice squad eligibility so i think 1 or more could be placed there .

I think Coleman makes this team. I think they have a plan for him and if it's gonna take some time to get him where they want, that's fine. They needed speed at the WR position and he provides it. Yeah, McCloud and Clay are fast but they're also small. Coleman is just as fast and has a bit more size to him. McCloud could get bumped to the PS. 

The big issues for us at WR are clearly NOT whether Coleman or any other candidates make the team, but i9nstead:

1. Our #1 Benjamin  is clearly a good player, but his injury history simply makes it unlikely he is going to not miss some time this year making our #2 our new #1 and so on.

2. Our #2 is no where remotely at the level of play required for a NFL #1.

3.  Likewise the problems or limitations inherent in our whole WR corps may well be a limiting factor on Josh Allen and our whole O.

The Coleman issue really comes off as fiddling while Rome burns.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We really do not know what we got because of the camp battles, the youth and with Coleman... But my money says we are in better shape then many think and it will truly come down to how the QB plays alongside of our OL.. 

15 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I think Coleman makes this team. I think they have a plan for him and if it's gonna take some time to get him where they want, that's fine. They needed speed at the WR position and he provides it. Yeah, McCloud and Clay are fast but they're also small. Coleman is just as fast and has a bit more size to him. McCloud could get bumped to the PS. 

If I’m not mistaken, the Bills are on the hook for Coleman’s salary for the next two years, so cutting him adds a significant amount of dead cap space.  He’s not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What is the reason he didn't get more than a few snaps at the end of the 4th against Cleveland then? Compared to the week before (even with Reilly out) his snaps went way down and comparable guys like Proehl and Cam Phillips (who in fairness was injured week 1) overtook him in time on the field. 

Lol, you clearly care way more than I do about this. I mean, I have said multiple times now that I am not arguing for the kid, don’t think we are even going to keep 7 WRs, and that all I said is I am not condemning him yet because of the Daboll connection and better showings in practice.  I could honestly care less about him or any 7th WR for that matter who will never see the field in the first place if they made the roster, but for some reason you are hell bent on arguing to the death he won’t make the roster and you keep wanting to drill down on this lol.  

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, you clearly care way more than I do about this. I mean, I have said multiple times now that I am not arguing for the kid, don’t think we are even going to keep 7 WRs, and that all I said is I am not condemning him yet because of the Daboll connection and better showings in practice.  I could honestly care less about him or any 7th WR for that matter who will never see the field in the first place if they made the roster, but for some reason you are hell bent on arguing to the death he won’t make the roster and you keep wanting to drill down on this lol.  

I just don't really understand the argument for why he would over the Proehl's etc...

I think they will give him a year to get it together.

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree with you 100%.  The Bills love this guy for his leadership, special teams ability and the fact that he is somewhat competent at WR for a few plays when needed

Interesting....I thought Ray Ray was a burner but I guess not.  So you think they are keeping 7 WR’s?  I can see it happening but they already will be heavy at QB and maybe TE.  

Unless they trade O'Leary.  They could get extra for him cuz he's The grandson of a golf legend.

16 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Mark my words.  Zay will make you regret saying that. 

When he comes for him butta$$ naked.

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If allen is ready to play you don’t need 3 QBs potentially. 

Or you could hold peterman and cut him to activate streater later, as someone mentioned. 

If a QB gets cut it's going to be McCarran.  If a QB gets traded it will be Peterman.