Sal Carpaccio: Corey Coleman Is In Trouble

Message added by Chandler#81

Cut

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My god that’s going to kill our $80 or so million in cap space next year.  Guess we should release Aaron Poyer to clear some room.

Yep you’re right.  Only manage the cap for one year.  It’s not a consistent thing or anything.

Aaron Poyer?

Trade should have never happened.  Everyone knew Coleman's problems.  If you didn't want to spend the time to work with him, you shouldn't have made the trade.

11 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Beane is a disaster of a GM.  Been that way since he got here

The good news is that having Peterman, McCarron and Allen at QB right now, means you don't have big money tied up with them so you can absorb some dead money without too much pain.  The bad news is, if your GM keeps doing things like this trade, or way overpaying for Star Loltelui, then it won't matter.  ....it's still the NFL...and in the NFL the QB is king.  if Josh Allen works out, this will be but a minor footnote....but at this point you really really need Allen to work out....he's literally going to be what keeps this regime here and working or fired within the next two years and starting ALL OVER AGAIN.  

3 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Aaron Poyer?

Trade should have never happened.  Everyone knew Coleman's problems.  If you didn't want to spend the time to work with him, you shouldn't have made the trade.

Jordan sorry.

we gave up a 7th round pick for a guy that was a top 15 pick two years ago.  Oh no.  I can’t believe you’re crying about this.

I also can’t believe your name is ItTakesTime when only after one season with Beane, you’ve called him a bust.

LOL who cares about the cap next year.  Geezus.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Brandon Beane is beginning to worry me. In over his head. This move cost us a pick and cap space next year. That plus the team has very little talent. Under 30 talent is maybe 3 players. 

Repeat after me...a 7th round pick TWO YEARS FROM NOW and a couple million that goes away next year. 

There were great discussions, posts, threads on the Sabres TSW board a few years ago on a nasty tough winger who also had some offensive skill, Zack Kassian. He never really became what he was supposed to be and was traded to the Oilers for Cody Hodgson, who sucked worse. Kassian is still in the league but never really put it together. But on the board he became known as "The Concept of Zack Kassian."

It was a really great name and idea and topic for discussion which is applicable here. I liked the Concept of Corey Coleman but ultimately not the player. I was very happy with the trade, seventh rounders are virtually nothing, and we needed the speed and talent infusion obviously. But after watching and reading and listening more and more he just wasn't cutting it. So he got cut. 

And now we're back to looking for The Concept of Corey Coleman because we surely need it. 

If only Robert Foster could track the ball in the air and then catch the sucker. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Repeat after me...a 7th round pick TWO YEARS FROM NOW and a couple million that goes away next year. 

Wasted. Bills in no position to waste assets. I would rather keep Coleman and allow him time to learn the playbook. What did they expect him to do in couple weeks? 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

To be clear - I applaud the trade, I am disgusted with releasing him.  They need his talent.  He actually produced fairly well when on the field for Cleveland.

Makes no sense to release him unless something happened behind the scenes. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Wasted. Bills in no position to waste assets. I would rather keep Coleman and allow him time to learn the playbook. What did they expect him to do in couple weeks? 

Do more than nothing at all in preseason?

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There were great discussions, posts, threads on the Sabres TSW board a few years ago on a nasty tough winger who also had some offensive skill, Zack Kassian. He never really became what he was supposed to be and was traded to the Oilers for Cody Hodgson, who sucked worse. Kassian is still in the league but never really put it together. But on the board he became known as "The Concept of Zack Kassian."

It was a really great name and idea and topic for discussion which is applicable here. I liked the Concept of Corey Coleman but ultimately not the player. I was very happy with the trade, seventh rounders are virtually nothing, and we needed the speed and talent infusion obviously. But after watching and reading and listening more and more he just wasn't cutting it. So he got cut. 

And now we're back to looking for The Concept of Corey Coleman because we surely need it. 

If only Robert Foster could track the ball in the air and then catch the sucker. 

I think it's closer to the Concept of Da'Rick 

10 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

You guys are insane

Beane is a disaster?? There were posters who would say they wanted him to negotiate their life. He whiffed on Mack? I dont consider mortgaging our future 1st round picks for the next two years PLUS players. And so what? Beane knew we were crap at WR and did what he could to try and improve it. Cant fault Beane for Coleman having a lazy work ethic and being slow on picking up the playbook.

I give Beane a lot of credit and hope he is our GM for many years to come

Exactly right. Coleman was a low-budget risk to create some competition, and Mack ain't worth what is being asked of him, especially for a team that needs its picks next year to build a line.

The challenge, unfortunately, is that being a Bills fan means being around people who desperately want the team to fail so they get to tell everyone "I told you so." Predicting failure is the easiest and laziest position in sports. If you are unable to see the improved competence and focus of the current coach and GM, it's simply because you don't want to.

This year is to evaluate and build. Next year the team has picks and an orca-fat wallet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Well he may have done more if the QB was given time to throw, but Beane wasted all our picks so we couldn't draft help.

Alright, I see where this is going and so I am bowing out of this pleasant conversation. 

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He had 2 weeks. 

You can get more than 7 yards. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

The only asset we lose is a 2019 7th round pick. Please don't tell me that's what you're whining about.

A 2020 pick. Whiners gonna whine. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

1 minute ago, GG said:

I think it's closer to the Concept of Da'Rick 

Close. But Da'Rick was never all that highly regarded except maybe as a freshman in college. And pretty much everyone was excited about Kassian as far as Sabres fans. Yes DuhRick had size and speed and talent, so yeah, we still need the concept. But Da'Rick was more of the radical fringe who loved him here.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Oh my god. We're really doing this over a 7th rounder and $2 million.

We are tight to the cap, that space could be used on a free agent pickup. Like maybe some quality guards  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So their player development department gets 2 weeks putting him through the program?

I think you can tell about patterns in two weeks. I think you can tell about mental capacity and effort and intestinal fortitude in two weeks. Dropsies not as much but if you're not getting the first two or three and you throw in the fourth it's a pretty easy choice.

Some guys are not cut out to play WR in the NFL. Plus McBeane have a certain kind of player and mindset that they like and if you don't buy into it 100% you are not long for the Bills. I'm still not sure that is a good idea. I assume that Coleman wasn't showing enough. I didn't like what I saw in the two games. He wasn't getting open. On the one long pass he didn't even show any speed. 

It's possible he succeeds elsewhere but as of now I doubt it. 

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

To be clear - I applaud the trade, I am disgusted with releasing him.  They need his talent.  He actually produced fairly well when on the field for Cleveland.

Yet Cleveland was willing to trade him for a 7th - 2 years out or they were going to cut him.

The Bills took a shot - it cost them next to nothing and if his talent was so great compared to his play - the Browns would have gotten more originally.

As was stated at the time this was a low risk with potential high reward, but everyone knew this was also a potential outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

We are tight to the cap, that space could be used on a free agent pickup. Like maybe some quality guards  

Our spending spree comes next year when we have $62 million in cap space. We already have $50 million in dead cap this year. We took on $2 million more to try out a former 1st round pick who could have filled a need. There are exactly zero quality offensive linemen that we will lose out on because of this move.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think you can tell about patterns in two weeks. I think you can tell about mental capacity and effort and intestinal fortitude in two weeks. Dropsies not as much but if you're not getting the first two or three and you throw in the fourth it's a pretty easy choice.

Some guys are not cut out to play WR in the NFL. Plus McBeane have a certain kind of player and mindset that they like and if you don't buy into it 100% you are not long for the Bills. I'm still not sure that is a good idea. I assume that Coleman wasn't showing enough. I didn't like what I saw in the two games. He wasn't getting open. On the one long pass he didn't even show any speed. 

It's possible he succeeds elsewhere but as of now I doubt it. 

Your pro personnel dept should have told you all of that pre-trade, from their league sources and intel.  Assuming they did, you don’t trade for him unless you have a plan for him, and that plan has to include more than two weeks of evaluation time.  And if they didn’t have that intel, that would concern me.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, COTC said:

Can Sal stop predicting. 

95% of the time he is flat out wrong, and the opposite of what he predicts happens. 

The guy is a complete hack. 

Whoops looks like maybe you should stop as Sal was 100% on this.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Your pro personnel dept should have told you all of that pre-trade, from their league sources and intel.  Assuming they did, you don’t trade for him unless you have a plan for him, and that plan has to include more than two weeks of e v a l time.  And if they didn’t have that intel, that would concern me.

The patterns thing and effort thing was pretty well known. That was public knowledge. You take the risk on a 7th rounder not even next year on the chance that the new destination lights a fire under him and there is renewed effort and you see he has the skills to be developed. It's pretty tough to know these guys for sure until you have them up close. IMO that seventh round pick is almost worthless and it was worth the risk that they just cut him. I'm pretty sure by how they talked about him day one that he wasn't at all a lock to make the team. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our spending spree comes next year when we have $62 million in cap space. We already have $50 million in dead cap this year. We took on $2 million more to try out a former 1st round pick who could have filled a need. There are exactly zero quality offensive linemen that we will lose out on because of this move.

Im aware of our space next year, but doesn't Coleman's cap count against this year? And you dont know if any quality lineman will be available or not, you cant predict that

I personally would have kept him to see if they can develop him since it cost so little, but he was also behind the other guys a lot still, so I get it.  

I think they have liked liked what they have seen from Zay in camp and practice (as they keep praising him) and it made Coleman more expendable too and needing to gamble on him and his potential, especially if he wasn’t impressing in meetings, with his work ethic, etc.