Adam Schein: Josh Allen is the next Carson Wentz

YoloinOhio

I don’t understand how any Bills fan didnt like what they saw in Josh Allen last night. I taped the replay of the game and watched it closely. Sure he missed a few throws but what QB doesn’t. I’m in no hurry to rush his development but I certainly expect to see him start at some point this year unless AJM or NP shock us all. I know it’s splicing hairs but those same throws to the 1’s would have most likely netted 17 points. The pass to Foster should have been caught and in regular season they would have kicked a FG instead OG going for it on 4th down. I counted at least 4 passes that should have been caught which would of changed his completion percentage. He was calm in the pocket, showed the ability to scramble and made plays. It’s refreshing to have a QB regardless of down and distance that can threaten a defense from anywhere on the field.

All things considered I was very pleased with his debut and don’t understand how anyone couldn’t be.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

How many inaccurate QB's have been cured with changes to footwork, and is it a high percentage?  Are the odds in favor of it?

What are the odd's of finding a franchise QB in the 1st place? Not very good. I think with each QB you need to evaluate them individually. Some QB's can improve & some don't

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magnetar said:

That's true, but I was mainly talking about the FO getting all weak in the knees over Allen's physical tools, and ignoring all the accuracy issues.

The TD he threw to Ray Ray fit into a window the exact size of a football.  

2 hours ago, Magnetar said:

We'll see, but that detailed analysis may have just been what they used to convince themselves to go with the physical tools kid...  I mean, it's their career's, but I am getting tired of the Bills sucking.  The new FO + Coach every 3 years is getting annoying.

Well, McBeane's had one year...result on record, 9-7, playoff birth and a seven point loss on the road in the playoffs to a team that went to the AFC Championship game.  Your...definition of "suck" must vary wildly from mine. ?

I dunno, out of all the 1st round rookies we've seen so far, Baker Mayfield was the only one who looked actually impressive to me. And with all the talk going on right now about them now wanting to go after Dez Bryant, I think the Browns are impressed too.

If Bryant is cheap enough, I wish the Bills would considering signing him. Having another experienced, and talented WR to go with Benjamin would only help any of the 3 QB's we have in their efforts.

3 hours ago, Magnetar said:

That's true, but I was mainly talking about the FO getting all weak in the knees over Allen's physical tools, and ignoring all the accuracy issues.

There is nothing about Beane or McD's method of operation, since they took over, that would suggest them ignoring anything.

They took a chance on Allen because they believe they can develop him.  OBD is a confident group.  You don't like the Allen selection, cool, I get it.  But they didn't ignore anything.

4 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Well, I guess you hope he will be properly taught, that is no guarantee.  Plus, you can't really teach accuracy, that's been proven many times over, with very few exceptions.  The odds are, the Bills will be looking for another franchise QB while a guy like Darnold is going to the playoff's every year.

I love when people complain about stuff that hasnt even happened yet. Another miserable bills fan who can predict the future

4 hours ago, Magnetar said:

What makes you believe the odds are that he becomes a franchise QB?  I don't think you can use a term like odds for such a statement. It's more that you HOPE he becomes a franchise QB, it's not about odds and numbers, because the numbers say otherwise.

Stop acting like you know what you are talking about. I guarantee there are plenty of players you have been wrong about, just like everyone else.

There are people who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate players and THEY are still wrong about guys sometimes.

Nobody knows how it will turn out, so it is futile to make statements about "the odds" and "the numbers" because nobody knows anything yet.

Edited by MJS

5 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Welcome to TBD, Magnetroll.

Way too early about making any assertions about anything.  He has a lot to learn, but flashed at times.  Winning QB’s are consistency and anticipation.  Allen could be great or he could be Jeff George who had a huge arm and never won anything.

i don’t know and neither does anyone else on this board.  It’s a wait and see, and hope he plays more consistently.  I still think it’s a two man race to start off the year, and see how that person does in real games.  Allen will get more than enough playing time in the pre-season, and I still contend the absolute earliest we see Alllen in real games is after the bye if at all.

8 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Well, I guess you hope he will be properly taught, that is no guarantee.  Plus, you can't really teach accuracy, that's been proven many times over, with very few exceptions.  The odds are, the Bills will be looking for another franchise QB while a guy like Darnold is going to the playoff's every year.

Phew. From "new poster" to "ignore list" in RECORD time. Well done, troll.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Calls out the “twitter tough guys”...

but with a better arm.

8 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Allen is the same trap that Kyle Boller and Ryan Leaf were, Bills FO took it hook line and sinker.

Except that Ryan was a spoiled diva and Boller didn't have Dabol.

If Allen played for past Bills coaches he would be ruined.

We have the right coach and GM and Allen is going to be great.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Congratulations.  You Allen supporters finally found an ally.

The wise and knowledgable Adam Schein.

:lol:

If we eliminated all of your posts that conveyed some variation of "Allen sucks," my guess is your remaining post count would be somewhere around 6...

• Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Magnetar said:

i love me some 75 post troll accounts.

9 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Precisely something they did NOT do.  I think you're probably trolling, but Beane spoke of following Allen since 2016 and going over every throw on tape with coaches to determine if there was an inherent accuracy problem or merely correctable mechanics and/or other issues that impacted completion percentage.

Oh, and did you see a lot of accuracy issues Thursday night?  Look, Allen may or may not turn into a legitimate NFL superstar but comparing him to a couple of lumps of coal like Boller and Leaf is lazy.

Bye bye now.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, eball said:

Allen since 2016 and going over every throw on tape with coaches to determine if there was an inherent accuracy problem or merely correctable mechanics and/or other issues that impacted completion percentage.

Yes, ofc I heard that, I consume the same media sources on the Bills as everyone else.  To me it sounded like he was explaining away a desire to draft a tools kid.  I also heard Brian Bilick come clean about how the Ravens were able to convince themselves that Boller was legit, and he now knows they were way off base and diluted.

2 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

Yes, ofc I heard that, I consume the same media sources on the Bills as everyone else.  To me it sounded like he was explaining away a desire to draft a tools kid.  I also heard Brian Bilick come clean about how the Ravens were able to convince themselves that Boller was legit, and he now knows they were way off base and diluted.

Are you basing his accuracy off his Comp percentage? Lazy

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Are you almost done ? 

He's a new account who is up to 77 posts in line 24 hours, who waltzed in here posting like he's been here for a while, so it's clearly somebody who was banned on another account.

Of his 77 posts, like 90% are "Allen bashing"

He might even be Rosen's mom.

Edited by SouthNYfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

Apparently you forgot they could have drafted Rosen if they wanted to, or traded down and gotten Rudolph later. They weren’t “stuck” with Allen and therefore having to defend the pick. Your arguments are spurious and lazy, and there is no evidence Beane and McD are 1/10 the arrogant prick Billick is. 

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Apparently you forgot they could have drafted Rosen if they wanted to, or traded down and gotten Rudolph later. They weren’t “stuck” with Allen and therefore having to defend the pick. Your arguments are spurious and lazy, and there is no evidence Beane and McD are 1/10 the arrogant prick Billick is. 

200w.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Magnetar said:

I am still waiting for a response to the Foster Bomb. 

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Congratulations.  You Allen supporters finally found an ally.

The wise and knowledgable Adam Schein.

:lol:

I haven’t followed him lately, but I thought he was great on Sirius (back when I had Sirius). Glad to hear he’s an Allen fan.

The one nice thing about Buffalo being passed over normally is that you don't get all of this hype after one half of preseason football. He might develop or he might not, but it's way too early to say boom or bust. I hate when they compare them to pros with actual stats. This is going to be a brewing qb controversy when this guys should just get the chance to develop. 

I think the tools available to analyze quarterbacks to see if they are going to be successful at the next level are much more advanced now than they were when Leaf and Boller were coming into the NFL.  I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise that Bean and McDermott put a ton of review and studying of Josh Allen to see if he would be able to be successful under the coaching staff.  So I am going to believe that they know what they are doing.  The GM/coaching staff has shown that it can make things happen, so why doubt them now?  Allen may never develop, but it's not from a lack of trying on anyone's side.

Also, there is no way McDermott or Bean are gone in the next 2 or 3 years.  Even if Allen doesn't pan out, I don't think the Pegula's would fire them because of just that one decision.  A lot of people had Allen high on their draft boards.  There is always risk involved with these picks.  You just have to regroup and keep at it.  There have been so many positives in the last year and a half that barring an absolute meltdown, they will be here for I would say at least 5 more years, but I would say for a long while.  This organization needs stability at the GM and coaching positions that it hasn't had in a long time.

3 hours ago, bg17 said:

Magnetar has a very jeffismagic way about him/her. Is it possible...

Nope. Jeffismagic posts over at buffalorumblings. While not terribly enthusiastic, he isn't bashing Allen.

49 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Actually, old Jeff seems to be on Allen's side over on BuffaloRumblings. Who woulda thunk?

Ahh, I don't read that board much. Maybe he's become more positive like most Bills' fans with a reasonably open mind.

14 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Allen is the same trap that Kyle Boller and Ryan Leaf were, Bills FO took it hook line and sinker.

His strong arm doesn't mean he'll be a good QB but it also doesn't disqualify him from being a good QB just because other strong armed QBs failed. That's just as ridiculous as people praising his pre-season performance because they were mesmerized by his arm talent.

His decision making, accuracy and leadership will ultimately be what determines if he succeeds or not. The arm is just icing.