Bills trade with Browns for Corey Coleman

So all the hype about Foster and Reilly was just hype? I thought those guys were going to carve out spots for themselves. 

Can't complain about the trade because everyone knows we probably have/had the worst receiver corps in the league, but it says a lot about the group's lack of development to this point despite claims to the contrary. 

I still think our offensive line should have been addressed first, for what it's worth. A QB can't throw to any receivers if he's being chased around. 

Just now, MPT said:

So all the hype about Foster and Reilly was just hype? I thought those guys were going to carve out spots for themselves. 

Can't complain about the trade because everyone knows we probably have/had the worst receiver corps in the league, but it says a lot about the group's lack of development to this point despite claims to the contrary. 

I still think our offensive line should have been addressed first, for what it's worth. A QB can't throw to any receivers if he's being chased around. 

Reilly - real hype Foster - Practice squad 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He was training for the wrong sport. Not a coincidence he was suddenly healthy. 

That's a lot of speculation that you are implying that just has no evidence. Once again Goodwin was always reported to be a model citizen with the Bills. A lot of his injuries were contact injuries like concussions and violent ligament tears coming off of hits. It's not like Goodwin was getting non-contact injuries that could be attributed to training for a different sport. I think you are pushing a narrative as opposed to reading into the kind of player and worker he was when he was with the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MPT said:

We don’t know that this OL will be a dumpster fire.  I feel pretty confident that McBeane wants to win, while building, and will address a unit if they feel it needs addressing.  

No WRs were separating from the pack to join KB and Kerley.  Zay just started practicing today.  They pulled the trigger.   I haven’t heard dire reporting over the state of our OL, yet.  

Having a player like Coleman also helps protection.  It’s a lot harder to send heat when you have to shade a safety Coleman’s way and then also have KB to deal with on the other side.  

Edited by SCBills

This PROBABLY did not really enter the equation because it was abundantly clear that we needed a talent and a speed upgrade at WR. But it's not out of the question that Beane and McD may be leaning to starting Allen sooner than later and they figured we better get this speed guy, whomever he is, in here quicker than later. 

I have always been on the start Allen early if he shows decent bandwagon, so this somewhat fits my narrative. And it's more because AJ and NP stink and our run game will be **** down more than Allen is great. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Guy thinks he can still play. He’s talking about the CFL then NFL so why not the Browns. Looking at him I’d be inclined to think he can. 

So does Jerry Rice. Why not sign both? What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by MURPHD6

I wonder if Beane had this offer out there for a minute and was just waiting on Cleveland to call.  Even if Zay lights it up healthy, Coleman is a guy, with a contract, we should always take a flyer on with a late round pick.  Especially with a QB like Josh Allen. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Perfect. 

Former 1st rounder with 4.37 speed and cost a late round pick. No downside at all to this move. And still cost controlled this year and next year (before needing 5th year option)

Yeah. Getting two years plus the option is great.

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's a lot of speculation that you are implying that just has no evidence. Once again Goodwin was always reported to be a model citizen with the Bills. A lot of his injuries were contact injuries like concussions and violent ligament tears coming off of hits. It's not like Goodwin was getting non-contact injuries that could be attributed to training for a different sport. I think you are pushing a narrative as opposed to reading into the kind of player and worker he was when he was with the team. 

Believe what you wish. I don’t think the guy was very dedicated to playing WR or to the Bills. He was all about the olympics. Guys who train for other sports can end up being too tightly wound to play football, for example. You think he’s a good guy. I don’t. 

7 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

So does Jerry Rice. Why not sign both? What could possibly go wrong?

Well, it is the Browns. Why not!

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Didn't he skip parts of OTAs and training camps so he could qualify and then do nothing in the Olympics?

He seems like a good guy and I know why he was trying to become an Olympic star. I usually don't buy this ****, but he came across like he wasn't committed in his time here. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley traded for Jerry Hughes and LeSean McCoy.  Why does everyone always have to put someone Dow to praise someone?  

Yep. Of all the things to criticize Whaley for, acquiring pro talent isn't one of them.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree with u 99% The only caveat would be that perhaps him doing the track & field stuff, put extra wear & tear on his body & that it prevented his body from fully recovering. Its all speculation on my part obviously but with the ligament injuries it could make sense. It does suck for us that he turned into a star when he left. Such a Bills thing to happen

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

This trade shows... Jones is no guarantee

Dude. They get nothing out of cutting him. When you're wrong will you own it and post as much about how you were wrong?

I'm not a Zay fan at this point, but he's gonna be here. If they were gonna cut him they would have done it when he was running around naked.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I like the move and am glad we are buying low for a change. I hope we have something similar cooked up at OL.

OL is the thinnest group across the league. There is very little depth on any team, and most teams don’t even have 5 decent starters across the line. As much as it would be great to add talent to to our OL, I can’t see it being feasible right now 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

They absolutely will not cut bait on Jones already. This trade does not change anything. They loved Jones and traded up for him. Receivers often struggle in their rookie seasons. He gets another shot this year and I will say I am much happier with KB, Jones, Kerley and Coleman to round them out. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

OL is the thinnest group across the league. There is very little depth on any team, and most teams don’t even have 5 decent starters across the line. As much as it would be great to add talent to to our OL, I can’t see it being feasible right now 

Indeed. Gonna come down to coaching here. I think this group can be passable especially if our QB can get the ball out on time for once.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Much like our 17 year playoff drought, this is so amazingly awful, it’s beautiful.  It’s also great hearing a guy like Mike Lombardi act like he is some football genius when he was in charge of the 2013 draft.

They had 11 1st rd draft picks in 7 yrs between 2009-2016. NONE are still on the team. That’s almost impossible to do but they succeeded.

41 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Hope we can still keep Robert foster.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking this move is due to lack of progression from Foster.  Beane thinking "not going to get what we need from Foster, time for Plan B"

Foster looked good in OTA this spring, but he appears to be struggling with routes and dropsies in camp so far.  I agree it would be great to stash him on the Scout team if we can, but unless he's a special team wizard or he looks good in games...

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The fanbase of the team he came from are the fans that watch the player the most. It's not the be all end all but just because the Browns organization sucks doesn't mean that the fans are clueless as to what they are watching. 

I'm not taking a plumber's advice on how to fix my electric.

• Haha (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This PROBABLY did not really enter the equation because it was abundantly clear that we needed a talent and a speed upgrade at WR. But it's not out of the question that Beane and McD may be leaning to starting Allen sooner than later and they figured we better get this speed guy, whomever he is, in here quicker than later. 

I have always been on the start Allen early if he shows decent bandwagon, so this somewhat fits my narrative. And it's more because AJ and NP stink and our run game will be **** down more than Allen is great. 

I don't know if you've been to camp at all, but to my eyes the "live" look at all three of these guys has AJ as the "safe" play, Peterman as a nice guy who has insufficient arm strength, and Allen as a specimen.  Allen seems to throw the deep stuff better than the short stuff.  So maybe you're on to something here.  

1 hour ago, MURPHD6 said:

With his injury history and limited catch radius, I am tempering my expectations. He will probably be a useful decoy. 

Beane clearly favors measurables over stats. And that worries me. The team is big, tall, and fast. Cool. But if we can't complete passes, none of that will matter.

This is a smart observation. Although I'd argue the current roster has a blend of age, measurables, and draft statuses.

But for the sake of argument, if the GM is indeed trying to amass a roster of big, tall, and fast athletes, first and foremost...does that mean it's now up to the coaching staff to put them in positions to succeed? 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

comes from family background that is rough even by NFL standards and has been accused of orchestrating a beatdown of someone who lives in his apartment complex in Ohio by some of his circle of friends.   

Ah, a Padawan for Shady.    Cool....

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Beane looks like Michael from Burn Notice in that photo.

(do we know what was sent back for coleman yet? or did I just miss that?)

I was thinking more like Agent Smith from "The Matrix".

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They had 11 1st rd draft picks in 7 yrs between 2009-2016. NONE are still on the team. That’s almost impossible to do but they succeeded.

Holy hell. That team should be moved down to the AAF. They belong in the minor leagues until they prove themselves.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually loved KB defending his fellow teammates. I thought it was a stand up move from our current #1 WR, and I also think it shows that he’s really bought in to being a Buffalo Bill. 

Its shat a lot of us fans do when they attack our team - we find reasons to defend the Bills. 

And i I don’t think KB is delusional by any means. I think he knows what’s up. Would Sharp rather him throw all his current teammates under the bus, too? 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1