SB Nation: Are the Bills rebuilding, or trying to win now? No one seems to know, not even the Bills

Read this last night - another "The Bills didn't take the QB most likely to play, therefore must be a rebuild". 

When people say "Allen isn't ready and needs a lot of work", do they think we're going to keep him on the bench for like 5 years?  If he doesn't start this season, it'll likely be mid-season (depending on how AJ plays, obvi), or next year.  Not like we're stashing him for some way off in the future run...

• Like (+1) 2

A team that is only trying to win now will have to tear down and rebuild five years from now, unless they have a franchise QB.

A team that is only building for the future will have no success in short term, unless they have a franchise QB.

With any business you have to strike a balance between start up success and long term viability, and that's what "the process" is about.   The process in this case was about trading up to #7 to get a quarterback a lot of people thought would go #1 to the Browns, bottom line.   Beane and McDermott understood they could pay a risk adverse QB 16 million a year,  build a strong defense and win 8-9 games a year and hope for the playoffs, but Tyrod wasnt going to win you a championship.  

This isn't about McCaron, Peterman or even Tremaine Edmunds.  This is 100% about Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I just don't see how a couple of trade ups (especially for 2 extremely important positions - QB of the offense and QB of the defense (an athletic Mike LB is key to McDermott's defensive scheme functioning properly)) means that their plan isn't clear... 

Beane and McDermott aggressively went after 2 young players they think will be key cogs to the Bills long term success. Nothing wrong with that.

And it certainly doesn't mean that they are unclear of their long term plan. In fact, i'd say quite the opposite - they have a clear vision of what type of players they want/need  and are willing to do what it takes to acquire those types of players that they think will have a long term impact here. 

Its not like they gave up prime assets for 30yr old players or something. Both of these kids will hopefully be with the Bills for the next decade +. 

And why why should they take a QB they feel has a lower ceiling just because he may be able to start sooner? 

I don't know if Allen is the least ready to start, either. He played in a pro style offense that asked him to change coverage and make checks at the line. Rudolph played in a college style spread offense that asked him to do much less of what he will be asked to do in the NFL. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

They've been rebuilding for the 2019/2020 seasons since they walked in the door. If you think you got a chance to get your franchise QB, you take it regardless of the stage of the rebuild.

• Like (+1) 2

Why is it that the two are viewed as mutually exclusive? Can they not be in the process of a long-term rebuild toward the team they want to be, while still staying competitive in the present (and, hopefully, becoming more and more competitive each successive year)? If I am not mistaken, Bean and McDermott have been pretty clear on this point.

• Like (+1) 5

Yikes!

that was a truly brain dead article. 

One of the first wrong assumptions was that all the trades were made to amass draft capital. Not true. Just as important was shipping out players who didn't fit the process, for one reason or another (Darius--lazy, Tyrod-- good guy, but not a Super Bowl caliber QB). 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I read the article. I still don't understand the writer's point.

It was an awful article full of self-contradictions, a lack of actual knowledge of the team,  lazy journalism and, generally, the product of what I might expect from a room temperature IQ.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane literally makes a comment indiciating that he feels "we havent arrived." Then proceeds to take physical freaks who are raw and may not impact year one, yet the author is still trying to stir up conjecture.

Problem is the Bills arent the league pinata anymore. So nonsense articles like these dont get the steam or creedence they once would.

Just because he can’t figure out what the Bills are doing, doesn’t mean McBeane doesn’t know. What a dumb concept.

Even a casual fan can see what the plan is.

Phase 1: Fix the salary cap

Phase 2: Franchise QB

Phase 3: Build defensive foundation

Phase:4: Build offensive foundation

Phase 1 is done! Right now they are working on Phase 2 and Phase 3.

Next offseason, if Phase 2 is worked out with Allen, they will be wrapping up Phase 3 and solidifying Phase 4.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills can’t seem to decide if they’re rebuilding or trying to win right away

Trades to land Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds struck a puzzling mix of rebuilding and ‘win now’ strategies.https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/7/17319572/buffalo-bills-rebuilding-2018-nfl-draft

Ignorance is bliss.

Adam Stites doesn't know what the plan is and can't divine it from his observations of the Bills moves.  Therefore there is no plan:  "does Buffalo have a plan? Because it sure doesn’t seem like it."

I guess it's hard for some to be on the outside looking in.  

• Like (+1) 1

articles like this bother me because the author probably doesn't follow the Bills closely. It talks about the trade of Glenn and Darius and points to rebuilding . Darius they were getting rid of a cancer with a huge contract and Glenn they moved up in the draft and they already had a left tackle. His foot injury also being an issue. I wish ppl who wrote these articles would do a little research before they wrote this nonsense. Personally I think there is a clear direction get team guys and try to acquire top end talent from the draft. Nobody thinks the bills are actually going for the super bowl this year. Give Edmunds and Allen a year in the system and we have 100 mill in cap room next year and well see it starting to come together. Not saying super bowl next year but probably some consistency and playoffs building to what we all hope becomes a championship.

• Like (+1) 2

More journalism.

The generic SBNation website is syndicated talk radio monologues in text, without commercial interruption.  

You'd think that corporate would at least require this guy to cross check it with the Bills-dedicated SB Nation writers. You know...the people that have actually stepped foot in the stadium at least once.   

This is a stupid article. The Bills are in the process of building a winner. They have got themselves into an excellent salary cap situation after this year and are putting together a young nucleus of the team. Of course you want veterans in the mix also. What is so puzzling about that?

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

This is a stupid article. The Bills are in the process of building a winner. They have got themselves into an excellent salary cap situation after this year and are putting together a young nucleus of the team. Of course you want veterans in the mix also. What is so puzzling about that?

Probably just baiting a rabid fan base into clicks during the slow season. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills can’t seem to decide if they’re rebuilding or trying to win right away

Trades to land Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds struck a puzzling mix of rebuilding and ‘win now’ strategies.https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/7/17319572/buffalo-bills-rebuilding-2018-nfl-draft

actually its simple. If we win enough to sniff playoffs again then we are re-tooling. If we slip back to 4-12 we are rebuilding.

semantics

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sometimes I think these writers are just acting dumb. They can't be that obtuse.

Terrible article. The Bills are 'building' off a playoff season. Not rebuilding. Each team has significant turnover every season, it's how rosters evolve year to year. I think it's very obvious what the Bills are doing. They are trying to win as often as possible, while building a team for long term success and a championship. I don't know why the writer is so confused.

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty simple vision.  Last summer Buffalo had cap issues, were a pretty old roster, no faces of the franchise or leaders under 30.  A year later Buffalo cut down the cap so next year they have close to 100 mil available.  Quietly Buffalo built one of the best secondaries in football, and now may have a top 10 unit with the addittions to the dline.  In one year created a top 10 unit, created 100 mil in cap space (pressumly used to bring in weapons on the offense), and have potentially the 2 faces and leaders of the franchise with Allen and Edmunds.  This year they will go through some growing pains but the future is the brighest its ever been in Buffalo.  

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

A team that is only trying to win now will have to tear down and rebuild five years from now, unless they have a franchise QB.

A team that is only building for the future will have no success in short term, unless they have a franchise QB.

With any business you have to strike a balance between start up success and long term viability, and that's what "the process" is about.   The process in this case was about trading up to #7 to get a quarterback a lot of people thought would go #1 to the Browns, bottom line.   Beane and McDermott understood they could pay a risk adverse QB 16 million a year,  build a strong defense and win 8-9 games a year and hope for the playoffs, but Tyrod wasnt going to win you a championship.  

This isn't about McCaron, Peterman or even Tremaine Edmunds.  This is 100% about Josh Allen.  

Yep. You can say that again. Every single day of this pain in the neck journey I'm on, has been about that balance. It never ends. Every decision is always couched in: do we go for the now, or have patience and develop our own stuff/people. 

I'm not working in the same business, and certainly not with high risk employees(we don't hand out millions to rookies here). So I can't really say I understand their problems. But, I can sympathize with their process: which turns every decision into a bull ride.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Yikes!

One of the first wrong assumptions was that all the trades were made to amass draft capital. Not true. Just as important was shipping out players who didn't fit the process, for one reason or another (Darius--lazy, Tyrod-- good guy, but not a Super Bowl caliber QB). 

I'm sure it will feed many who post on this board!

The premise The author attempts to argue fails to take into account how Carolina was built.

If:

Allen = Newton

&

Edmonds =  Kuechly

&

Harrison = (Kyle) Williams

then you have the basis to understand this draft perfectly.  Also, if these three selections play out or exceed the expectations then the Bills willl have had one of the best drafts in their history.

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Yikes!

How about moving Cordy Glenn BEFORE his sell-by date?

I still can't get over the getting a 3rd for Tyrod. That's great GMing. But, it won't matter to the pessimist/simplistic poster if we don't win. They seem incapable of processing nuance: when the team does something good, it's good. It may or may translate directly to Ws. But it doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. And, judging everything on Ws/playoffs has a backlash: when the Bills DID make the playoffs? Many of their backs, and other parts, got lashed. :lol: