Who had the strongest arm in NFL history?

major

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Are we really going to act like Rodgers, Stafford, Favre, George, etc. aren't even close to some relatively obscure guy that old-timers know?  C'mon...

I was at those camps and saw him live. And I’ve seen all those on your list as well. So yeah, I’m gonna act like I am actually able to draw live comparisons. But if it makes you feel better, I’ll tamp down the hyperbole (used to emphasize the point) and say the others are close. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Yeah I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade sorry, I just have to imagine that simply due to training advancements, supplementation, exercise science etc. that a strong arm in 2018 is just completely beyond a strong arm in 1970.

Nolan Ryan wants to talk to you.

• Like (+1) 4

JaMarcus Russel

54 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Jamarcus Russell, proving that a great arm does not a quarterback make.  Maybe it was a bit of an exageration, but it was said he could throw the ball the length of a football field.

Yep. He completely blew scouts and GM's away with how far he could bomb the ball, even from his knees.

Elway

George

Vick

Bledsoe

Cunningham

Current

Flacco, Rodgers, Stafford

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I don't think Jeff George and Jamarcus Russell count. Arm strength should be also determined by accuracy and ball placement as well, not just throwing 70 yard Hail Marys. To me it's Aaron Rodgers, it takes arm strength to make those tight throws in insanely small windows.

George was a very good QB for two teams.  Threw too many pics but also made throws others could not.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

No, the question was arm strength. That’s what I tried to answer. You lean towards who is a better thrower of the ball. Then there is reading a defense. And being a leader. Many factors go into being a great QB.

That’s why Josh Allen scares me. Great arm. Can he play QB?  No idea. 

No. Accuracy takes arm strength is my point, I think the two are closely related.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Gotta be Elway.

I attended a few of Stanford ‘s games in Elway’s senior year.  I’ll never forget one play against Washington.  The pass rush forced Elway to roll out to the right just inside his 40 yard line. He threw a pass on a line to WR Ken Margerum, who was standing in the left half of the end zone and didn’t have to move. It was like playing catch with a friend a few yards away.

I also worked with a guy who also was a WR for Stanford and he said by the end of the season his fingers were so messed up, he had to catch the ball with his palms.

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

On John Murphy today Mark Kelso said Gale Gilbert had the strongest arm he's ever seen and we all know how great of a player he was

He commented on that a few months ago during the season.

Now if I could only remember what he said.  It was that Gilbert could do some type of "trick" that Kelso couldn't believe.

Like in practice one day Gilbert sat in a chair on the 50 yard line and threw the ball through the uprights from a seated position, or something like that.

Anyone remember what that was?

Hard to say. Favre's WR group said his passes could easily break a finger if you weren't ready. Russell's arm was ridiculous. Jeff George was the white version of Russell. Vick could throw a ball 70 yards too, I remember seeing it on one of those offseason QB comps they used to have. Cardale Jones has a cannon. Marino had a gun too. 

Edited by H2o

8 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

James "Howitzer" Harris of the Buffalo Bills.  (O.K., he was never called "Howitzer," but he should have been!) 

He was the first black QB to ever start a season (1969) opener in the NFL. He was the first QB I ever saw who 'flicked' the ball, effortlessly.

He could throw the ball!

Here's one you young whippersnappers wouldn't think of:  Sammy Baugh.

Baugh could throw the balloons that masqueraded as footballs for well over 50 yards in his day.  If he had the modern football no telling how far he could have chucked it.

• Like (+1) 1

I personally think it should be settled by gathering Elway, Cunningham, Russell, George, and Allen and having them chuck this SOB. The summit of mid 90’s technology and every 12 yr olds ego boosting best friend. 

644FAD79-1C0E-4300-80B6-11BAC128C607.jpeg

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3