Kellys mouth cancer is back

So a quick google search: [Oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC)]

The prognosis of patients after recurrence was analyzed with the Kaplan-Meier method and log-rank test. The recurrence rate was 32.7%. The recurrence time ranged from 2 to 96 months, with a median of 14 months...Kaplan-Meier and log-rank tests showed that the 2- and 5-year survival rates were significantly lower in the recurrence group than in non-recurrence group (67.6% vs. 88.0%, 31.8% vs. 79.9%, P < 0.001)...

Recurrence is an important prognostic factor in patients with OSCC. Camisasca et al.[2] have reported that the 5-year survival rate was 92% in OSCC patients without recurrence and 30% in patients with recurrence (P < 0.001, log-rank test). The median survival was 76.8 months in patients without recurrence and 42.5 months in patients with recurrence (P < 0.001, log-rank test). Lindenblatt et al.[3] have reported that recurrence affected the 5-year survival rate and disease-free survival of patients with OSCC. Postoperative tumor recurrence leads to a poor prognosis and a poor quality of life. 

:(:cry:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Someone do me a favor.  In the Comments section under the News article some genius typed in:  Honestly, who cares.  Can one of the locals go find that guy and smack him in the head for me?

Typical loser there.

Someday we are going to get really, really good at beating all types of cancer.   And it is sad that so many lives are lost to it in the learning phase just as they have been with so many other terrible diseases.    Even when you think you are living a lifestyle that is really helping to prevent situations like this - you are still at its mercy.

Such an evil disease.   Heart sinks for him and his family.

55 minutes ago, teef said:

oral cancer, (i think it was an oral sarcoma?) is amazingly difficult to beat.  i'm always impressed when someone receives a clean diagnosis after any treatment, but with a recurrence like this, his life expectancy is significantly shorter.  good luck jimbo.  if there's anyone tough enough to deal with it, it's him.

Yep. my cousin had similar and beat it at 30. Came back at 31 and despite treatment he passed at 32. Unfortunately it always seems like your on borrowed time when its up in that region. Hopefully he makes it through but certainly not a good sign if it came back once more.

54 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Cancer treatment in the us is dictated by the medical indaustial complex.  Its all BS. 

Bash this guy all you want, but he's not wrong.  Understand for most people your opinion is driven by your experiences

Good luck Jim K

• Like (+1) 1

Horrible news.

I'm not very surprised.  I posted a few years ago that I found it unusual that he didn't get adjuvant radiation therapy with his first surgery.

59 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Cancer treatment in the us is dictated by the medical indaustial complex.  Its all BS. 

Another nutjob pipes in...

• Thank you (+1) 2

The driving force of 4 straight superbowl appearances, a man of great courage, faith and compassion.

We love you Jim... you can beat this...

...prayers...

...lots of prayers...

Edited by Figster

18 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Yep. my cousin had similar and beat it at 30. Came back at 31 and despite treatment he passed at 32. Unfortunately it always seems like your on borrowed time when its up in that region. Hopefully he makes it through but certainly not a good sign if it came back once more.

oh man.  it's just such a difficult form of cancer.  years ago when i work at a hospital, i was part of a team what would manage these cases.  they would see me before treatment, and shortly after for re-evaluation.  it was pretty difficult to see the patients post treatment.  the radiation would burn the skin and devastate the mouth.  their jaw bone becomes so weak from the lack of blood supply caused by the radiation, that we would hear stories of large sections of bone fracturing off with simple tooth extractions.  people have to go into hyperbaric chambers before any surgeries can be done post radiation.  limited saliva so it's hard to chew.  rampant decay because of the lack of saliva, and the act of swallowing feels like pins and needles.  the process is just awful for the patient.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

The driving force of 3 straight superbowl appearances, a man of great courage, faith and compassion.

We love you Jim... you can beat this...

...prayers...

...lots of prayers...

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bash this guy all you want, but he's not wrong.  Understand for most people your opinion is driven by your experiences

What?  The American medical system obviously has its flaws, but our current cancer treatments are not "BS."  I had childhood bone cancer and I wouldn't be here today, 30 years later, with a wife and 2 kids, if it hadn't been for my chemo, radiation and the great doctors and medical staff at Roswell Park.

Prayers for Jim and his family.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Wow.. Expert on the subject? Hoping only for the best Jimbo..

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

While some may agree or disagree to your quote.. Do you really think this is the place for this type of conversation?

I think not.

GL JIMBO! your Strong!