Mile High Sports: Bills OT Glenn could be traded to Broncos

That's overstating it a bit. His average pay puts him 5th among left tackles, and as usual dropping down the list as years pass. He's paid as an above average LT, not as the second best lineman in the league.

A single year cap hit is low in the ways I'd rank pay in the league.

yes.

This year, he is the 8th LT in terms of cash spent. In terms of average per year, correct, 5th.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Buffalo gets any less than a 1rst round pick they're getting scammed. If Glenn entered the draft next year, he'd have a reasonabl;e shot at going #1 overall. Proven strong left tackle in a league always on the hunt for them.

That's a bit over the top, but even assuming it's somewhat close to true, why the hell would we trade him?

He's the 2nd highest paid player on the team and we aren't getting anything from him this year.

Factor in the injury issues the few years and he certainly appears to be a player on the decline.

Who knows what's really happening behind closed doors at One Bills Drive but you have to believe he's on Beane and McD's radar, but not in a good way similar to Dareus.

The marcel and cordy situations are not CLOSE to each other

I guess they expressed frustration by making Glenn active and still starting Dawkins over him.

Glenn was far from 100%, and probably should be taking a few more weeks off. I can see how that might be one small piece if there were other pieces, but it's crazy to make that assumption based solely on that, IMO. (BTW I understand you are just giving me your best guess as to why people are saying McBean are down on Glenn.)

Age-wise, Glenn should be entering his prime. If he can recover from the foot injury, the Bills have a starting LT locked up for the next 4-5 years.

Now, if he can't adjust to the new OL blocking scheme (of the coaches adjust to the talent of the line), then I can understand wanting to move him out. But early in the season, I thought he was adjusting as well as anyone on the line.

Glenn was far from 100%, and probably should be taking a few more weeks off. I can see how that might be one small piece if there were other pieces, but it's crazy to make that assumption based solely on that, IMO. (BTW I understand you are just giving me your best guess as to why people are saying McBean are down on Glenn.)

Age-wise, Glenn should be entering his prime. If he can recover from the foot injury, the Bills have a starting LT locked up for the next 4-5 years.

Now, if he can't adjust to the new OL blocking scheme (of the coaches adjust to the talent of the line), then I can understand wanting to move him out. But early in the season, I thought he was adjusting as well as anyone on the line.

I don't want to see Glenn traded but in all seriousness how long does a player need off for a sore foot? Outside of a couple games that he rotated in this year he has been resting for over 10 months.

Money ball is likely the answer to ending professional sports longest playoff drought. If theres one thing that gets you where you want to go, its not paying or keeping good players and replacing them with pedestrian level trash. Lets trade Glenn now for some draft pick that we take another bust with. Maybe all of our position groups can look like our WRs and our overall depth.

I don't want to see Glenn traded but in all seriousness how long does a player need off for a sore foot? Outside of a couple games that he rotated in this year he has been resting for over 10 months.

Come on, man. Seriously?

Trade him. Get rid of players who are constantly injured and players who aren't committed. Can't win with the injured and the check cashers. Watch the Sabres. O'Reilly is useless, Okposo is useless. Moulson is useless. Can't win with 'em.

Depends on what "sore foot" means. A 300+ lb guy puts a LOT of stress on that foot.

If someone here understands the dead cap implications if it is possible to trade Glenn before 2019.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cordy-glenn-9851/

POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 3 YR, $41,250,000; $6,400,000 DEAD CAP

To me it doesn't seem possible

If he's traded now it will be $8.9M dead cap this year and $9.6M next year.

Would it even be that much? I'm not trying to run through the details right now but is that total cap hit that we would have on the books including salary for games he was on our roster this year? (I know, quibbling a bit but not what I consider dead money)

As to feasibility of the trade route- We'd essentially have what we paid him for his services this year plus accelerating that 9.6m that's the 3 years of amortized bonus (offsetting that acceleration would be clearing over half his 9m salary for the year). So a small spike spread over 2 years. Not ideal but not awful. And for a team assuming his contract he's not bad value (essentially 3 year 29m after this season and easy to get out of)

Has Pegula transformed into Ralph?

Glenn cost the Bills a 2nd rounder in 2012 and plays easily like a top 1st rd pick when healthy.

We don't need that though right?

If they were to trade Glenn, it wouldn't be to fatten Pegulas pockets.

If Buffalo gets any less than a 1rst round pick they're getting scammed. If Glenn entered the draft next year, he'd have a reasonabl;e shot at going #1 overall. Proven strong left tackle in a league always on the hunt for them.

However, rookies have a cheap salary for 4 years. Glenn does not.

You have no idea of the value of things

Our OL being shaky is the single biggest problem we have going on right now......not RB....not WR.....NOT QB

Glenn manning that LT spot and Dawkins at RT solidifies that OL

Dawkins was apparently a disaster at RT. If the coaches thought he was at all a workable solution at RT, he'd be starting there already as the current starter is quite possibly the worst RT in the league.

That's a bit over the top, but even assuming it's somewhat close to true, why the hell would we trade him?

Because the Bills don't want to pay him when they have Dawkins who has filled in "adequately" ... if you like your offense boring, mind-numbing, and ineffectual.

The marcel and cordy situations are not CLOSE to each other

Your opinion. IMO, the situations are linked by the fact that 1) both players are among the highest paid on the Bills current roster; 2) both haven't played all that much; and 3)that rumors have been circulating for weeks that the Bills coaches aren't happy with both because of #1 and #2. This is pretty much the SOP the Bills use when they're preparing to dump players: 1) they are highly paid or are expecting a big pay day 2) they have some "issue" that prevents them from playing 3) rumors start circulating about them. It fits how the Bills treated Sammy Watkins. It also fit how they treated both Marshawn Lynch and Jason Peters before they traded them as well.

You can take the manure the Bills organization shovels at face value if you want, but after 17 years of seeing them shovel the ****, I'm skeptical of every excuse they make for themselves.

Money ball is likely the answer to ending professional sports longest playoff drought. If theres one thing that gets you where you want to go, its not paying or keeping good players and replacing them with pedestrian level trash. Lets trade Glenn now for some draft pick that we take another bust with. Maybe all of our position groups can look like our WRs and our overall depth.

I have to wonder how all the true believers figure that the Bills will ever be able to afford a real franchise QB when they draft him in 2018 ... along with the rest of their Super Bowl winning team. I guess they're figuring the Bills will take all their studs in 2018 and win the SB by 2022 before they let them all walk at the conclusion of their rookie contracts. :thumbsup:

However, rookies have a cheap salary for 4 years. Glenn does not.

Glenn has proven his ability. Dawkins has played 5 games.

Dawkins was apparently a disaster at RT. If the coaches thought he was at all a workable solution at RT, he'd be starting there already as the current starter is quite possibly the worst RT in the league.

Since Glenn hasn't been able to play, Dawkins has been needed at LT. How could he also play RT at the same time? It takes time to adjust to playing any new position, especially when a player flips sides because everything is reversed. Try driving a car in a country where they drive on the left side of the road ... and see how much trouble that causes you.

If someone here understands the dead cap implications if it is possible to trade Glenn before 2019.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 3 YR, $41,250,000; $6,400,000 DEAD CAP
To me it doesn't seem possible

It's possible if you replace Glenn, KW, McCoy and possibly even Dareus with rookie contracts next season. Which , if they trade Glenn, is my guess as to the cap strategy.

Depends what is received in return. Hard to replace a reliable LT so the price would be rich. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mills or Henderson for next to nothing. A conditional pick or maybe back up RB or Wr

Glenn is a 6th year player with bad feet/legs and a hefty salary... Getting rid of him is absolutely the right move to make... Maybe for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick?

.....quite the mismatch.....would your ad state "has bad feet/legs & hefty salary, BUT will accept a 2nd or 3rd anyway"?.......sounds like he comes with a SALVAGE title.............

That is very close but maybe a little off on this years hit and we would also want to consider cap savings, not just dead money. Its difficut to figure out the exact numbers due to contract structure and timing of the deal, but here is what we know for sure. The new team would assume the unpaid salary and roster bonuses for the remainder of the contract - including all unpaid guarantees. The Bills would get hit with what theyve already paid him this season plus any unaccounted for signing bonus money.

His signing bonus is being written off at $3.2M a year through 2020. That means the Bills get hit with $3.2M this season plus $9.6M next. His compensation this season is $9M ($7.5M guaranteed). We would only get hit with whatever portion of games he is on our roster for. Lastly, he has $2M in roster bonuses this season. The structure is unclear. It is probably divided evenly among all 16 games and paid only if hes on the active roster for the games, but mightve been a lump sum at the beginning of the league year.

So if we assume that Glenn would play this week, be traded next week and that the roster bonus structure is per game active, then it calculates as such:

2017 Dead: $3.375M salary + $3.2M signing bonus + $250k roster bonus = $6.825M total 2017 dead

2018 Dead: $9.6M

2017 Cap Impact: $14.2M expected cap hit - $5.625M salary assumed by new team - $1.5M roster bonuses unpaid due to inactivity or paid by new team = $7.075M revised 2017 cap hit. Thats a cap hit reduction of $7.125M this season.

This would mean that the Bills would gain $7.125M in cap space this season and get hit with $9.6M next. That $7.125M would be carried over so in effect trading Glenn next week would result in an effective cap hit of $2.475M versus where they stand today. If the roster bonus has already been completely paid wed have $1.5M more in dead cap this season and overall cap hit.

Realistically its still a lot of dead money to eat, so the trade compensation would really have to be worthwhile for the Bills to consider moving him.

Edited by BarleyNY

Would it even be that much? I'm not trying to run through the details right now but is that total cap hit that we would have on the books including salary for games he was on our roster this year? (I know, quibbling a bit but not what I consider dead money)

As to feasibility of the trade route- We'd essentially have what we paid him for his services this year plus accelerating that 9.6m that's the 3 years of amortized bonus (offsetting that acceleration would be clearing over half his 9m salary for the year). So a small spike spread over 2 years. Not ideal but not awful. And for a team assuming his contract he's not bad value (essentially 3 year 29m after this season and easy to get out of)

Candidly, I didn't really dig in. I just went from that tweet from the Sportrac guy.

Here's the thing, we know the 5 OTs. Glenn, Mills, Dawkins, Henderson, and McDermott.

We know that it is not Dawkins or McDermott because they were brought in by this regime. I find it hard to believe anyone is going to trade for Henderson just coming off suspension and is 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension.

That leaves Glenn and Mills and I could see either or. Glenn gives you the most value for a team building towards the future. I don't think the cap is a big deal to them. They said that they plan on building the team through the draft and they have done nothing to show that's not the case.

If it is Glenn and they can't get the compensation they are looking for this year don't be surprised if they take a higher 2019 pick to continue the building process over two years.

On the other hand I think it could be Mills because while he isn't highly valued like Glenn, he does have a ton of starting experience in this league, has a fairly cheap contract, is under control beyond this year, and the compensation wouldn't be likely more than a 5th round pick

Jason Peters is a elite talent that we should've signed long term. Glenn is a solid pass blocker and better than average run blocker.

Was elite except when he was injured, which was half his career. I know how much we love injury prone players.

And yet we still have a winning record.

Well, whoopty-doo. It's not like the Bills haven't started other seasons with winning records .... :doh:

The 2016 Bills started 4-2. Finished 7-9.

The 2015 Bills started 3-2. Finished 8-8.

The 2014 Bills started 3-2. Finished 9-7 but no playoffs.

The 2011 Bills started 5-2. Finished 6-10.

The 2008 Bills started 5-2. Finished 7-9.

The 2003 Bills started 3-2. Finished 6-10.

The 2002 Bills started 5-3. Finished 8-8.

Glenn is a 6th year player with bad feet/legs and a hefty salary... Getting rid of him is absolutely the right move to make... Maybe for a 2nd or 3rd rd pick?

OLers frequently play into their mid/late 30s, and Glenn is only 28. Furthermore, his foot injury is his first significant injury in his career, and those injuries take some time to heal. Getting rid of him is absolutely the stupidest move the Bills could make ... but it is likely what they'll do. If the Bills get a 2nd or 3rd, it'll probably be a 2019 pick .... teams know damn well when the Bills are in fire sale mode, they'll take just about anything ... like they did for Peters and Lynch.

Was elite except when he was injured, which was half his career. I know how much we love injury prone players.

I hope you like crow, cuz you're dead wrong about Peters.

In his 13+ year career, Peters potentially could have played in 214 games. He played in 175 games, starting 165. The last time I looked, he played in 81.8% of the games he could have played in.

2004 5 games 1 start

2005 16 games 10 starts

2006 16 games 16 starts

2007 15 games 15 starts

2008 13 games 13 starts

2009 15 games 15 starts

2010 13 games 13 starts

2011 14 games 14 starts

2012 Missed entire season because of Achilles injury

2013 16 games 16 starts

2014 16 games 16 starts

2015 14 games 14 starts

2016 16 games 16 starts

2017 6 games 6 starts

Jason Peters came into the league in 2004 as an UDFA TE. Since 2007, he's been a Pro Bowler 9 times, every season he's played, and he's been first team All Pro for Philly twice, 2011 and 2013. His ticket for Canton is already punched. He might just be one of the NFL's all time great OLers ... AND THE STUPID ARSED BILLS LET HIM GO FOR A LATE FIRST ROUND PICK AFTER HE'D PROVEN HIMSELF.

I hope you like crow, cuz you're dead wrong about Peters.

In his 13+ year career, Peters potentially could have played in 214 games. He played in 175 games, starting 165. The last time I looked, he played in 81.8% of the games he could have played in.

2004 5 games 1 start

2005 16 games 10 starts

2006 16 games 16 starts

2007 15 games 15 starts

2008 13 games 13 starts

2009 15 games 15 starts

2010 13 games 13 starts

2011 14 games 14 starts

2012 Missed entire season because of Achilles injury

2013 16 games 16 starts

2014 16 games 16 starts

2015 14 games 14 starts

2016 16 games 16 starts

2017 6 games 6 starts

Jason Peters came into the league in 2004 as an UDFA TE. Since 2007, he's been a Pro Bowler 9 times, every season he's played, and he's been first team All Pro for Philly twice, 2011 and 2013. His ticket for Canton is already punched. He might just be one of the NFL's all time great OLers ... AND THE STUPID ARSED BILLS LET HIM GO FOR A LATE FIRST ROUND PICK AFTER HE'D PROVEN HIMSELF.

...correct me if I am wrong, but Peters was hell bent on getting out of Buffalo and commissioned his late agent, Hank Peters to do so......he wanted out PERIOD much the same as Marshawn Lynch did....so how do you fault Bflo for either departure?....

...correct me if I am wrong, but Peters was hell bent on getting out of Buffalo and commissioned his late agent, Hank Peters to do so......he wanted out PERIOD much the same as Marshawn Lynch did....so how do you fault Bflo for either departure?....

You're wrong. He said he would like to stay. He wanted to be paid the going rate for top LTs. That was 10m. The Bills offered 9, which showed they wanted to keep him. They just weren't willing to pay the going rate. The Eagles were, and to give up high draft picks.

You're wrong. He said he would like to stay. He wanted to be paid the going rate for top LTs. That was 10m. The Bills offered 9, which showed they wanted to keep him. They just weren't willing to pay the going rate. The Eagles were, and to give up high draft picks.

...thanks for clarification.............