Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

There are zero trades in Jeremiah’s draft, which is ridiculous and an indicator to me that a person doesn’t have the courage of his own convictions. It is a day before the draft — project trades, which ALWAYS happen.

That may be so, but...how many times are there multiple trades expected in drafts and instead, teams stand pat and let the draft fall to them?  This draft will likely be different because of the QB needy teams and the number of QBs that legitimately could go in the first round.  We've all been disappointed before though with being provided less excitement.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MDH said:

Which is why if one of the top 4 or so guys at edge are there in the 1st the Bills should seriously consider taking one as one of the plethora of WRs will still be around in round 2. Taking advantage of the depth of the WR class means you don't HAVE to take one in the 1st.

Yes, you know, I've heard this argument a number of times over the last few months. Turner and Verse will be gone for sure. Latu if he falls because of injury concerns, and Robinson. I'm not sure who else you would consider. I just don't like Robinson. I wouldn't take him at 28. If I didn't like a WR there (well, I'm pretty sure I would), but if I didn't I would rather try and trade back. Latu is the only fella I think you should consider if you are okay with the medicals. I think someone will take him before 28.

And then, I think they need a big X and a Z, so I want two WRs early if I can find value there. So the depth at WR to me means maybe I can get two early.

I know you think differently, and you're welcome to have your own views, of course. I've already apologized to my TV for the breakage that will happen if Robinson is the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

What’s your plan to improve the pass rush ? This draft is very skinny at edge  after the Top 3 who will be long gone at 28

Hendrickson is demanding a trade, just sayin... 

25 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Seems like Odunze wants to go to Chicago to join Williams.  Not sure if Chicago is planning to draft him at #9, but if we really want him, probably need to move in front of the Bears if he would otherwise be there at their pick.  I don't think we will be able to pull this off, but I hope I am surprised tomorrow evening.  If this does happen, I also hope that Odunze will be excited and appreciative.

The Bears shouldn’t give a flying **** where Odunze wants to play. 

34 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Seems like Odunze wants to go to Chicago to join Williams.  Not sure if Chicago is planning to draft him at #9, but if we really want him, probably need to move in front of the Bears if he would otherwise be there at their pick.  I don't think we will be able to pull this off, but I hope I am surprised tomorrow evening.  If this does happen, I also hope that Odunze will be excited and appreciative.

Well he did just have a workout with Caleb Williams, DJ Moore, and Keenan Allen.

15 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Well he did just have a workout with Caleb Williams, DJ Moore, and Keenan Allen.

Just appraising the players’ egos, telling the league that teams need to trade up if they want Odunze. They have plenty of WR to start Williams’s career. They need to protect him much more than adding Odunze to that WR corps. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, wppete said:

I get Sammy Watkins vibes from MHJ. Id rather have Nabers.

I don't see how Marvin Harrison Jr. is just as great as his old man, the OG Marvin Harrison. Shaking my head. I don't get it. I have never seen the son surpassing the father WHEN the father is already top tier. The son would be lucky just to be in the same tier as his dad.

I don't care how these scouts and Youtubers are selling MHJ. I rather have Nabers, too.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

28 is such a hard spot the more I look at this.  Top WRs will be gone.  At best we’re looking at one of Chop (exciting player - good value, but doesn’t instantly make this team better), (Latu many teams have passed over)  and Cooper DeJean (similar to chop in that it’s not a huge immediate upgrade).    And no guarantees any of them will even make it to 28. 

So at the end of the day I think we either need to move up to get a WR, or move down and pick up a 2nd 2nd and a 3rd.  Then grab 2 WRs with those 3 picks.  

7 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Sims’s final mock has Rom’a’Dunzé going to BUF. I like, if we can’t get Nabers or MHJ.

I’m looking at the draft board and I honestly see a lot of teams who would be better off not taking the Big 3.

Harbaugh is bringing back bully ball, and he’s taking Alt. You’ll all see. He’s coming in hot. To me, the scariest threat that we don’t talk about yet. We will. Bolts.

The Giants have no quarterback, and you don’t start off with a top WR in wasteland for the foreseeable future. They take Latham.

Atlanta, if they get the pick, should be building incrementally on both sides of ball. They have Cousins to throw to London, Pitts, Bijan, holds down the fort.. they can strike on the defensive side right now.

Why is everyone behaving like the Jets don’t have enough weapons?? Rodgers is there to make everyone better.. why is the narrative now that Rodgers needs more weapons more weapons more weapons? He has enough. Jesus, you’d think he was a liability like Manning’s last year. 😡

The Bears would be so foolish to take a WR at 9. Rookie QB, see what he has.. to do that, he needs time to throw. OLine. Then you can add a WR that Williams can guide how to play with him.

Raiders QB.

Saints maybe.

Colts… why? They still have JT? And Richardson,, again, right now, he’s a runner. Colts have no idea if he can even throw in the NFL. Don’t waste a WR until you know for sure.

Seattle no - screams defense.

Jacksonville YES, WR. 

Am I crazy?

Harbaugh is bringing back bully ball😂😆🤣This ain't college where you can just outrecruit everyone. That's gonna be a tall ass order.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I would tell Dan Orlovsky, I would like to understand how he is defining "failure/disappointment" because I don't think he's telling us straight.

Kadarius Toney, Henry Ruggs, and N'Keal Harry certainly failures, but what about Dante Pettis?  Jaelen Reagor?  Rashad Bateman?  What about Jameson Williams?  Then there are guys who are can play, but maybe just aren't contributing at the level you'd like from a 1st rounder.

Then what about the fact that in many of those years, one or more 2nd round picks are out-performing the 1st rounders?

Questions, so many questions.

Raeger has been on 3 teams so far. Pretty safe to say he has been a failure. 

Edited by BananaB

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Loved it and then I saw AD Mitchell go to KC at 32 😒

It’s so true. I had the same thoughts. I have kind of come to terms with the fact that both Buffalo and KC are going to take WR and whatever happens we will probably be left wondering if KC got the better guy. It sucks, but when we continue to pick in close proximity and have similar needs, it just is what it is at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If we don’t get Odunze, I want Worthy and Javon Baker.

That would be nice but I can’t see Beane doing that.  McDermott will get a defensive player with one of the first two picks I’d imagine 

44 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Harbaugh is bringing back bully ball😂😆🤣This ain't college where you can just outrecruit everyone. That's gonna be a tall ass order.

Sure it is. And much like college, recruiting is done in the NFL with a checkbook. Key is having an owner that isn't afraid to spend money.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I don't see how Marvin Harrison Jr. is just as great as his old man, the OG Marvin Harrison. Shaking my head. I don't get it. I have never seen the son surpassing the father WHEN the father is already top tier. The son would be lucky just to be in the same tier as his dad.

I don't care how these scouts and Youtubers are selling MHJ. I rather have Nabers, too.

Archie and peyton manning?

Clay and clay mathews?

Only 2 I can think of.

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

28 is such a hard spot the more I look at this.  Top WRs will be gone.  At best we’re looking at one of Chop (exciting player - good value, but doesn’t instantly make this team better), (Latu many teams have passed over)  and Cooper DeJean (similar to chop in that it’s not a huge immediate upgrade).    And no guarantees any of them will even make it to 28. 

So at the end of the day I think we either need to move up to get a WR, or move down and pick up a 2nd 2nd and a 3rd.  Then grab 2 WRs with those 3 picks.  

This read sounds about right to me. Could be a surprise in there like someone falling, but it's unlikely. I prefer a Kinchens and Worthy in the second and an X WR in the third (from the trade down) to giving up more than we've been discussing here for Thomas. It's not fun, but we need bodies. DeJean in the second would be great, worth giving up a fourth. 

13 minutes ago, section122 said:

Archie and peyton manning?

Clay and clay mathews?

Only 2 I can think of.

Just off the top of my head - 

Luck

Hasselbeck (Matt)

Tatupu

Edmunds (Tremaine)

Heyward

Edited by SectionC3

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Christian McCaffrey…son of Ed McCaffrey who was also a stud WR, but I’d say Christian has surpassed his dad already imho 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Just off the top of my head - 

Luck

Hasselbeck (Matt)

Tatupu

Edmunds (Tremaine)

Heyward

I was trying to find dads that werre succesful and then the son was better than them.  

There are tons of families that played just not a lot of elite father son duos.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It’s so true. I had the same thoughts. I have kind of come to terms with the fact that both Buffalo and KC are going to take WR and whatever happens we will probably be left wondering if KC got the better guy. It sucks, but when we continue to pick in close proximity and have similar needs, it just is what it is at this point. 

Simply keeping up with the Chiefs means we will stay one step behind. We need to leap frog them. With weapons to over come the gap in coaching 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Barry Bonds wants a word with you!

• Like (+1) 1

There is a good argument for trading up.  

There is a good argument for trading down.

History shows that (on average) higher picks have a much better success rate, and less chance at busting.

History also shows you can still get elite players later, and more picks gives you more chances at getting it right.

I'm torn on which strategy I think is best for the Buffalo Bills right now.  

On one hand, the team is severely lacking top level talent.  If someone was to ask who the All-Pros were on this team over the last 3-4 years, that list would include Stefon Diggs, Tre White, Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde... all gone.  Outside of Josh Allen, the only top guys we have left are Von Miller (who may be done) and Matt Milano (coming back from a major leg injury).  The hope is that young talent like Dalton Kincaid, O'Cyrus Torrence, Tyrell Bernard, etc. will step into those roles.  But it's hard to argue against making a bold move for a guy who many think can be a Top 5 guy in the NFL for the next decade.

At the same time, trading up will almost certainly cost starting talent at other positions.  We could use help on the Defensive Line and Safety, and less Day 2 picks makes it much tougher to address.  We would also be putting all our eggs in one basket... which as many have pointed out, could turn out like Sammy Watkins.  He was also supposed to be a star, and looked the part early.  His career was derailed by foot injuries, which isn't something anyone can predict.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, you know, I've heard this argument a number of times over the last few months. Turner and Verse will be gone for sure. Latu if he falls because of injury concerns, and Robinson. I'm not sure who else you would consider. I just don't like Robinson. I wouldn't take him at 28. If I didn't like a WR there (well, I'm pretty sure I would), but if I didn't I would rather try and trade back. Latu is the only fella I think you should consider if you are okay with the medicals. I think someone will take him before 28.

And then, I think they need a big X and a Z, so I want two WRs early if I can find value there. So the depth at WR to me means maybe I can get two early.

I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that I’d prefer, in order:

1) Trade back, grab a WR 

2) Trade up to 8-10, grab a WR

3) Pick a non WR at 28 if the value dictates it.

4) Draft a WR at 28.

This is all generally speaking, of course, it depends on how the board falls.
Only WR that can reasonably be gotten at 28 who I’d take there is BTJ. I don’t think he’s falling that far.

I like Robinson there if he’s available. And while I love Latu’s game I just can’t get behind selecting him earlier than, say, the 3-4th. Everything I’ve read says that his fusion surgery has an average shelf life of 3-4 playing years. He's a ticking time bomb and has already used up most of those years. Maybe someone gets lucky but let another team take that gamble. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Agree with this. As we come out of the Hyde/Poyer/White/Diggs/Davis/Morse era, the focus needs to be on maximizing the next 5 year window (where Josh will be 28-32) instead of maximizing just next year. Maybe that involves getting Odunze at all costs, but I'm firmly in the "don't reach/overpay for a WR" camp. Obviously we need WRs, but it's more important to hit on impact players now and in future drafts.

Ideal draft for me would be trading back to pick up a 3rd (Rich Hill chart shows the LV's 44 and 77 as roughly equal to 28), getting WRs in the second round and day 3, then still having 2 day 2 picks plus the rest of our draft to shore up the rest of the roster

23 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Griffey too

there are lots of baseball players like this. 

this year marvin harrisons kid and jerry rices kid get a shot.  I think next year emmitt smith's son will be in the draft after his senior year at A&M

On 4/24/2024 at 6:35 AM, section122 said:

A thought I can't shake:

How many wrs currently in the nfl would you trade 2 1st round picks for?  It isn't many.  I get the idea of the player being cost controlled but I still have a hard time seeing it being worth it especially since it likely will cost additional picks.

This.  When we traded for Diggs, we only gave up 1 - late first rounder.

It would be next year's 1st, probably the next year's 2nd we got for Diggs, maybe this year's second.    So then you have to figure in the opportunity cost of the players you would have drafted and had a chance to keep on a cost-controlled contract for 4 years.

The bottom line is, no one really knows for sure the effect it will have on a man to have a net worth of ~$20M (#10 pick) overnight - what effect it will have on his lifestyle, his work ethic, his willingness to sacrifice his body for teammates, his humility and willingness to listen carefully and take coaching.  Will he keep his ears open, or will he become an "alligator station"?

That's one of the reasons 1st round draft picks have a variable success rate that has nothing to do with athletic measurables and skills shown on college game tape.

I'm not intending to pick on these college football players, btw.  I don't think any of us really know what the effect on us would be to have $2M dropped on us, let alone $20.

13 hours ago, alg said:

Didn't they pay out some money to Diggs just before trading him?

And doesn't the Dawkins terms make him more attractive?

I'm not sure what you mean about "the Dawkins terms".

No, they didn't pay out money to Diggs just before trading him.  They kept him on the roster past the date where a guarantee for his 2024 salary kicked in, so Houston got a player who was owned $19M of which $18.5 was fully guaranteed.  But Houston assumed 100% of the guarantees that kicked in just before the trade.

Edited by Beck Water

I'd rather...and believe Beane will pull a pick or 2 from next year out of his pocket to make sure we get a handful of impact players this year. We'll have FA money next year, so now's the time for him to ball out.

14 hours ago, london_bills said:

Were taking a RB round one lads 🤣🤣🤣

Safety round two.  Bills head would explode the likes of which would be heard down the eastern seaboard. 

2 hours ago, section122 said:

I was trying to find dads that werre succesful and then the son was better than them.  

There are tons of families that played just not a lot of elite father son duos.

Manning.  That said Marvin Harrison Jr has been a touted recruit.  Been hyped his whole career and has met the expectations.  That hype and pressure would fold a guy that wasnt it. Especially, now in the NIL about me culture.  Seems to be like his dad. Out of the spot light hard worker.  If your giving up a ransom you do it for him imo.  Otherwise sit and pick our move to 19 to 23.  

If it's for Nabers or Odunze, I'm firmly on board.  Anyone else, meh - as long as it's a modest trade up, ok.

We keep going to battle with a complete & deep roster.  And we keep losing to a team that has 3 dudes, 2 of which are better than anyone we've ever had (Kelce, Jones)

We'll have money next year to add legitimate FA pieces.  If a move can be made to find Josh Allen a "dude".. I'm ok trading away next years 1st with zero hesitation.

• Agree 1

As the draft rapidly approaches, all I can say to everyone is to learn from the past. Learn from the Josh Allen selection. NONE of us know more than the teams spending thousands of man hours on these guys, not only on the field, but how these guys fit to their teams, what their mental and medical situations are, how much of a risk the teams are willing to take on a guy, etc. Also none of us INCLUDING the teams know if any of these guys will work out in the league. The pre-draft rankings you have or agree with out there probably don't come too close to matching any other team's draft board, especially as you get out of the 1st 20 prospects. Sure there are players with higher odds than others... Resist drawing your lines in the sand where you claim either "Super Bowl here we come!" or "This team is doomed and set back 5 years!" after your team's selection. You have no idea of that. The league turns over much faster than it used to in terms of rosters. Take the choices that are made and try to reason why they were, and know that a whole organization is behind the decision. There are going to be "sure thing" players who end up failing, along with RAS score 1.5 players who shine in the game. Bottom line, try to enjoy the draft.