[POLL] Should The Bills Trade Up For A WR?

boyst

[POLL]Trade Up For A WR? Who?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade up inside the top 8 for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Better Idea

trade 28 for Higgins or Aiyuk

trade a 2nd this year and a 25 1st for a 24 1st and grab Thomas Jr from LSU. 

profit. 

We can’t afford the cap hit for Aiyuk or Higgins this season

6 hours ago, boyst said:

Should they package a trade that would include this years first, next year's first and second to pick in the top 8 for a WR?

That is not enough to get into the top 8 and no way we should spend what it would take to get to the top 8 in this draft, that is QB level trade compensation.  Not to mention this is the best and deepest WR draft maybe in draft history.  

Now if Odunze or Nabers slips into the mid to late teens, then I think you consider giving up our first next year (not also a 2nd) and go get them.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Take a WR at 28… and then use the Diggs pick to move up to Top 40 and take another…

This could result in McConkey and Legette 

I would be ok with that.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No, don't trade up. Yes, we need a replacement for Stefon immediately.

My comp based on stats and ability for Diggs in this draft is Ladd mcconkey. 

• Like (+1) 2

Sammy Watkins was a great, can’t miss two # 1s WR….

Let’s try it again?

You keep your picks, and through shrewd drafting we can be in the catbird seat Next year with multiple starters on rookie contracts. 
    This year is a rebuilding year. Accept that for the fact it is and stop pissing away capital, both monetary and draft, on quick fix gambles.

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not to mention this is the best and deepest WR draft maybe in draft history.  

👆☝️

5 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Calling my shot.

Bears get

2024 1st

2025 1st

late rd pick

Bills get

2024 1st #9

I think it’ll take more than that.  But I’d be on board.  

Sign me up for trading up for one of the top 3.  If we don’t, I’m still happy with Mitchell or Legette.  I think mcconkey could even be in play now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Our roster is still elite. When Josh Allen is your QB, you’re going to the playoffs. We may need some help at WR but we still have Samuel, Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Cook and it looks like Beane is about double down on WR in the draft. I am not even remotely worried.

I would call this roster anything but elite. 

This roster is worse than last year‘s at this point  

• Agree 1

Trading up is foolish when we have so many holes. Good WRs are three rounds deep in this draft. Let the board come to you.  Until the Diggs move, I wouldn’t have bet on a round 1 WR because they still could get a nice player in the second round.  Now, I’m not sure about the first round but sure hope they’re not wasting draft capital to move up in the round. This is Beane’s weakness.  He can’t help himself.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’d go up for Harrison. That guy will probably end up being a HOF WR. I don’t care about the ramifications in cost. No matter what, it won’t be that unreasonable and you don’t have to pay this guy for 4 years. If you are going to go up, go up for the best guy.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Should they package a trade that would include this years first, next year's first and second to pick in the top 8 for a WR?

If that’s the cost then I’m in. I do not trade up if it’s more or if I can’t get one of the top three WRs. 

3 hours ago, In Summary said:

Never. In a WR rich class trading up that high for one is just pissing away value.

to be fair, we are not in the upper tier of that class at 28. 

I wouldn’t stress much if the debate was getting the second vs the third - whoever lands in your lap is a win. But potentially the 6th guy comes with much more risk

I won’t hate it if they do .. in fact I’ll probably geek out if I see it happen.

However, I’m more open to multiple WR Green Bay method in a loaded draft class.  

8 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Better Idea

trade 28 for Higgins or Aiyuk

trade a 2nd this year and a 25 1st for a 24 1st and grab Thomas Jr from LSU. 

profit. 

The time for spending both draft assets AND cap assets on an established WR is long gone...

The Bills need to be focused on adding elite WR talent at a cost-controlled cap hit via the draft. The QB is mature enough to help raise youngins now. New plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

100%

Trade the whole draft if it takes that to move up to where they need to be. Or throw in players too. Anyone not named Josh or Dalton.

Burn the team down (and coaches) after this year, and go into a fresh HC with Josh, Kincaid, MHjr, draft picks, and maybe even a few open cap bucks to bring in players that fit the new HCs vision.

• Shocked 1

Everyone saying “don’t trade up in a WR-heavy class” was probably also saying we shouldn’t have traded up to pick a QB in Josh’s year.  

There may be a bunch of first-round talents.  But not all of them will pan out and not all of them will fit here, in Buffalo, in this offense, with this QB.  I think Beane knows who he wants for this team. 

If you’ve identified the guy you have to have, go get him.  Don’t worry about what it costs.  

4 hours ago, BRH said:

Everyone saying “don’t trade up in a WR-heavy class” was probably also saying we shouldn’t have traded up to pick a QB in Josh’s year.  

There may be a bunch of first-round talents.  But not all of them will pan out and not all of them will fit here, in Buffalo, in this offense, with this QB.  I think Beane knows who he wants for this team. 

If you’ve identified the guy you have to have, go get him.  Don’t worry about what it costs.  

I think this team is much further away from championship contender than 1 WR.

The Chargers are not that different than Bills roster wise right now.  If they get one of the top 3 WR do they instantly vault into SB contention?

It is going to take a good draft this year and next year to replenish the team with young talent.  I’m for moving around the draft with modest trades to get guys they really like, but I’m not keen on giving up next year’s picks at a discount for one player.

Just my view- does not mean that I am right.

4 hours ago, BRH said:

There’s a difference between trading up for a QB and trading up for a WR. It’s insanely difficult for a team to compete without a top tier QB. It’s not insanely difficult for a team to compete without a top tier WR. And nothing guarantees you’d be getting one by trading up either. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

WR class is very deep. We can still grab a very good WR at 28 instead of giving up draft picks. 

Even trade down and draft two.  Despite best efforts to identify pros, the college stats and the testing data doesn't tell it all by any measure.  Strength in numbers.  Only one needs to be good.  The Bills need a downfield threat or two.  That was Diggs, now it will be somebody else.

• Like (+1) 1

My vote FWIW:  Mitchell or Legette (or Thomas if he drops) in the first; 

Trade-up, but in the second, and get McConkey -- Picks 28 and 35 should do it.  

Won't cost nearly as much going from 60 to 35 as getting one of the big three in the first.

Edited by MarlinTheMagician

putting this here from another thread:

I’m a big Ohio State fan. When we were recruiting MHJ I said to myself, “I don’t care what the rankings say. THIS is the #1 receiver in the class.” Size, athleticism, production, work ethic, hall of fame father… He became all I thought he would and more. He has all the tools, does EVERYTHING right, and works tirelessly to get better. He is money in the bank.

I don’t know if giving up what it would take works for the Bills, but if you want to have one of the top 3 receivers in the NFL on the roster for Josh to throw to… he’s sitting right there.

I would do everything I could do to trade up and get MHJ. 2 1st rounders? Sure. Beane has such a mixed history of picking in round one. The onlyvery good picks he has made, IMHO, is Allen and Kincaid. He had to pass on Mahomes to get Tre White. So yes, give up firsts and go get a super star.

(I stand corrected: Beane was hired AFTER Mahomes was drafted)

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

7 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

putting this here from another thread:

I’m a big Ohio State fan. When we were recruiting MHJ I said to myself, “I don’t care what the rankings say. THIS is the #1 receiver in the class.” Size, athleticism, production, work ethic, hall of fame father… He became all I thought he would and more. He has all the tools, does EVERYTHING right, and works tirelessly to get better. He is money in the bank.

I don’t know if giving up what it would take works for the Bills, but if you want to have one of the top 3 receivers in the NFL on the roster for Josh to throw to… he’s sitting right there.

I would do everything I could do to trade up and get MHJ. 2 1st rounders? Sure. Beane has such a mixed history of picking in round one. The onlyvery good picks he has made, IMHO, is Allen and Kincaid. He had to pass on Mahomes to get Tre White. So yes, give up firsts and go get a super star.

It’s the price to get that seems prohibitive.  I can’t name one WR in the league already that I would trade 2 1st round picks plus more to get - it’s not like MHJ would be the final piece of the puzzle here.  There are a lot of holes in this roster that need filling in the next 2 drafts.

Trade up absolutely. Into the top of the 2ne round and grab one of 

Xavier Worthy

Adonai Mitchell

Xaiver Legette

Keon Coleman

Ladd McConkey

Troy Franklin

Ja'Lynn Polk  

after grabbing one at 28. Trading up into the early 1st is insane when next year will need the draft to reload on defense. 

38 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

He had to pass on Mahomes to get Tre White. So yes, give up firsts and go get a super star.

Beane wasn't hired till after that draft.... which I believe was to let the new GM choose a QB which did happen the following season

On May 9, 2017, Beane was hired by Buffalo as the general manager, joining former Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, who had been hired as head coach

May is well after the draft

-----

Now I do agree that moving up and grabbing MHJ is a bold move but it would be the right one IMO, we have lots of salary cap room to fill holes in 2025 so using draft capital next year won't hurt to much. We also have extra picks in the 4th 5th and 6th round this year

Edited by ddaryl

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

See Watkins, Samuel.

can't live in fear son.... I fear a vet who is about to get paid $30 milliuon a year not living up to the cost just the same

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It’s the price to get that seems prohibitive.  I can’t name one WR in the league already that I would trade 2 1st round picks plus more to get - it’s not like MHJ would be the final piece of the puzzle here.  There are a lot of holes in this roster that need filling in the next 2 drafts.

I realize there is a great (and possibly prohibitive) trade off here. 

I agree, there is no WR currently in the league that I would give up 2 first round picks for, but mainly because of their contracts already being so big.

I’d give up 2 firsts for Justin Jefferson if he was on a 5 year rookie

contract. With the cap savings I’d hire vets instead of the rookies I’d be missing out on. 

Beyond that, the lynchpin of my argument is that I am convinced MHJ is a SURE THING. I’d take one superstar sure thing (yes, I’m out on that limb) over 2 or 3 50/50’s. 

I can understand the other side of the argument, I just firmly feel that he is that good and you can figure out the rest.

If they go into the draft with the present WR need so clearly evident, they almost can't stay put.  If any decent value 1st round talent is falling toward them, every other WR needy team has every reason to trade in front of the Bills and take him.  Beane has had it happen to him before and I think that is why he trades up so often. Probably one of the worst feelings of regret that he ever gets is when he can see a targeted talent falling to him only to lose him while only a few picks away.  He usually does everything he can to go into the draft without such an obvious need.  But, this year looks different.