Anyone else feeling pretty good with the Bills?

Heading into the draft, I feel pretty good about the Bills.  The only thing lacking is a pash rush from the front 4.  I am concerned Groot has had a couple seasons now and needs to step up and be a 10+ sack guy.  I don't like depending so much on Von. Other than that I feel all the other positions are solid. 

Depending on who is there at 28, I am tempted to move down, possibly with Carolina who may want to move back into the 1st. Possibly Washington as well to get a 3rd round pick.   Maybe use a 4th and 5th( or 6th) to move up in the 2nd.

WR is still #1 on my list followed by DL.  Safety in the 4th, along with just BPA from there on out.

How are you guys feeling about a month out from the draft?

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 1

I feel like the time between now and the NFL draft will dragggg as it always does. These last few weeks the waiting is always the hardest part

Tom Petty knew all about it too 🙂 Yes He Did.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Heading into the draft, I feel pretty good about the Bills.  The only thing lacking is a pash rush from the front 4.  I am concerned Groot has had a couple seasons now and needs to step up and be a 10+ sack guy.  I don't like depending so much on Von. Other than that I feel all the other positions are solid. 

Depending on who is there at 28, I am tempted to move down, possibly with Carolina who may want to move back into the 1st. Possibly Washington as well to get a 3rd round pick.   Maybe use a 4th and 5th( or 6th) to move up in the 2nd.

WR is still #1 on my list followed by DL.  Safety in the 4th, along with just BPA from there on out.

Listening to OBL discuss this...2 4ths and a 5th or more won't even get us from 128 to the 3rd.....maybe the compensatory end of the round...maybe.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Id like to say we had a quiet, but needed FA.  We have 11 draft pics so we’ll be able to fortify and if Beane want to even trade up a little.

• Like (+1) 2

I feel good that the gap to Miami has grown and so we remain the team to beat in the AFCE and will win the division again and make the playoffs so long as Josh is healthy. 

I don't feel great that the Championship window is very wide for us in 2024. I don't want to rehash arguments about the extent to which one AFCCG appearance from 2020-2023 represents underachievement but I think an AFCCG in 2024 would probably be a bit of overachievement.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Listening to OBL discuss this...2 4ths and a 5th or more won't even get us from 128 to the 3rd.....maybe the compensatory end of the round...maybe.

I was just throwing numbers out. I don't know what it would actually take.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Very good.  Given where the Bills sit with respect to the salary cap I think they had an excellent off season.  As Bills fans we know that the losses while sad did not really hurt the team.  I'm thinking that replacing Morse will be the trickiest part with the most potential downside.  But any Bills fan knows that Morse was undersized and that caused problems against teams with monster DT's.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Usually an optimist, but we have lost a lot of depth that has not yet been replenished, particularly on the d-line.  The draft can't fill all holes and I am not sure about what we have done at safety.  

I will feel better with a couple of DTs that can play and the addition of a capable DE.

51 minutes ago, nosejob said:

19 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I was just throwing numbers out. I don't know what it would actually take.

From a trade value standpoint, both our 4th's and one of our 5th's ABSOLUTELY could get us into the 3rd and well into it. It's just a matter of whether you can find someone willing to trade out of Round 3 for extra picks in 4 and possibly 5.

128 & 133 alone are enough for 99. 128, 133, and 144 can get you as high as 86.

The Rams could be interested to move 99 for 128 & 133. 99 is their 2nd pick in the 3rd Round. After that pick, they don't pick again until Pick 154 in Round 5.

The question is - would we rather have no 3rd's and 2 4th's or 1 3rd and no 4th's? And will we have 2 4th's by Round 3? Good chance we'll have already used one to move up some in Round 1 or Round 2.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of course. The Bills are still, and will continue to be, a top 5 team in the NFL. They will likely be in the playoffs fighting for a championship again. We have a Superstar QB in his prime, promising young players, good coaches, and good depth all around. Are we missing some pieces? Probably, but we need to let the off season play out. There is the draft and Beane has until training camp to bring in more talent and retool this roster.

This is one of the premier times to be a Buffalo Bills fan. The team is well respected throughout the league. Players and coaches want to be here. The team has great facilities and is building a new stadium. Each year they reload and try to get better instead of having to make wholesale changes and start over. It's great.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I heard this segment today too.  I called in right before- Peter from Massachusetts-I called about the new kickoff rules, how onsides kicks would be

• Like (+1) 1

I've certainly seen worse, but I think it's going to be a very mediocre year, though it will be entertaining. There are just too many starters, leaders, and tenured depth players gone, replaced with a mixed bag of non-impact players so far. And too much hope for rookies to produce right away. Hopefully they will emerge as a better team on the other side of it, and have enough money to retool for 25-26.

With Josh Allen, the Bills will always have a puncher's chance. But I'm ready for 8-9, and it won't hurt my feelings. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

As far free agency moves, the only two I did not like: trading Bates (he should have been our center) and allowing the safety Blackmon getting out of the building without s contract.

Everything else was played sell given salary cap situation.

Get that WR fo Allen and get a power runnjng back for offense, a starter for DE and Safety, and some depth.

Bills need to deliver in next 3 years. Gotta be all-in.

"Pretty good?" - Sure.

Confident in our Super Bowl chances? - Not really.

As the saying goes, "If you're not improving, you're falling behind," and I'm not sure we've actually improved in any way on the field... YET.

We managed to squeeze our way back under the cap, didn't bottom out with all the guys that left/were cut, and signed the usual players that all teams fill their depth chart with each off-season. I think Curtis Samuel will be good, so I'm excited about that, but also not convinced he'll be any "better" for us than Hollywood Brown will be for the Chiefs (who they signed for even less money).

Chiefs aside, you have the Texans wanting to load up to build off last year (and Stroud improving in year 2), Burrow returning from injury, the Ravens adding Derrick Henry, and even the Steelers likely to be more competent with either Wilson or Fields at QB instead of Pickett.

I'd say we're still better off than the Dolphins & Jets, despite the latter trying to go all-in with Rodgers, so that's nice.

Ultimately, the draft is where it's at. If we can nail that WR pick & maybe luck out into some hidden, elite talent, we'll have a real shot. Otherwise, the only real difference is health & loss of some locker room leaders.

I like that the team seems to be reconstructing the way I had hoped.  The FO is going with a slight retool but being a contender.  It would be a retool and not a rebuild as long as they keep Diggs.

The FO has kept the strategy of going low cost for RBs and is now adding low cost Safety's.  I like the WR Samuel pick up.

But my liking the strategy is contingent upon the FO getting a WR in the first two rounds, otherwise I'll have to reassess.

• Like (+1) 1

I see this off season as the past three or four have gone. Beane has tried as best as possible to fill all the holes, which allows him to enter the draft able to go bpa. I don't do this for a living; he does, and he's been pretty good at it. Let's see what the team looks like post draft, post June 1.

Edited by Chas56
Spelling

The Bills will win the AFCE again, and go into the post season healthier than in previous seasons, our team is gonna be a contender yet again. 

sorry to disappoint you Chandler, 

😂

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Ok thus far.  Beane got rid of guys that he had to, painful as it was.  Morse, Poyer, Tre- all played their hearts out here but age , injuries, and need for cap space dictated that they were going.  And he’s filled in with guys such that there is no glaring holes.  Only move I thought was iffy was trading Bates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I'll feel pretty good when we make the playoffs and beat something better than a wild-card team.  Merely winning the division is old hat and a pretty low expectation with Allen at QB and in a relatively weak division at this point.  Right now we're on pretty much exactly the same trajectory that the Chargers were on under Norv Turner with Rivers at QB.  We have better talent than that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I heard this segment today too.  I called in right before- Peter from Massachusetts-I called about the new kickoff rules, how onsides kicks would be

Yeah, that was what I wondered. I guess there is no surprise onside kicks anymore if they go that route.

After all these years with a below average oline a lot of people think they're pretty good, now that they are finally average. Average isn't good and it's definitely not good enough.    Mahomes has been behind a very good offensive line for years now. He is one of the least pressured qbs in the league.  Allen is still one of the most pressured qbs, his clean pocket time still one of the worst in the league. He doesn't take a high % of sacks because he is so strong and elusive, but running around to avoid a sack takes away from being able to survey the field, allowing guys to get open.

But keep looking for that guy who can pressure Mahomes. Instead of building your own powerhouse offense, put all your energy into stopping one guy. It seems like a stupid philosophy to me.

I'm glad the oline doesn't completely suck, but they need to keep getting better. There is not a lot of talent on that line.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I feel good about this team heading into the draft.

I trust McDermott with the Safety changes and I trust Kromer with the OL changes. 

We currently need legitimate investment in a starting outside WR and 2 rotational DT’s. 

Safety, EDGE & RB/OL/CB Depth could be upgraded. 

I think we’ll also make a move over the summer when Tre’s 10M becomes available.. Trade or Floyd type signing. 

Dolphins got worse.

Jets got better, but are old & fragile 

Pats got better, but rookie QB

Chiefs,similar off-season to us

Bengals, Tee Higgins?

Ravens, whatever. Lamar. 
Browns, no idea what Watson is

Jags, what is T-Law?

Texans, Stroud staying power?

Edited by SCBills

12 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have the same concerns about our pass rush. We don’t have the horses to pressure QBs with the front 4. I expect the Bills to use blitzing and scheme (simulated pressures) to generate pressure. I do not think we have much on the back end of the defense either. Johnson is excellent at Nickel, but we’re pretty ordinary at outside CB and lack depth there. Our safeties look to be below average as we don’t have one on the roster that wasn’t a backup last season. That’s concerning. I expect to see a lot of two deep. Milano and Bernard at LB is a bright spot (along with Johnson). Still, I see a defense that is not going to be the reason we win games this season. 

I am much happier with the offense. Other than needing to add an X receiver and a complementary RB it looks great to me. A fantastic QB, very good receiving corps, quality lead back and a solid OL is great to have in place already. It obviously going to be the strength of the team. It should make us favorites in the AFCE, but I don’t think we have the defense to make us as competitive in the playoffs as I’d like. Still, you never know what the landscape there is going to be like until the time comes. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Of course. The Bills are still, and will continue to be, a top 5 team in the NFL. They will likely be in the playoffs fighting for a championship again. We have a Superstar QB in his prime, promising young players, good coaches, and good depth all around. Are we missing some pieces? Probably, but we need to let the off season play out. There is the draft and Beane has until training camp to bring in more talent and retool this roster.

This is one of the premier times to be a Buffalo Bills fan. The team is well respected throughout the league. Players and coaches want to be here. The team has great facilities and is building a new stadium. Each year they reload and try to get better instead of having to make wholesale changes and start over. It's great.

But that’s just it. To me top 5 teams are playing in championship games.  I think we are more in the 5-8 range.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Other than my concerns with, not having starting caliber safeties, nothing behind Oliver and Jones at DT, no one on the Edge with a threatening pass rush, downgrade at LG, and maybe at C also, I'm feeling pretty good about the Bills. I think this year, the Bill's coaching staff will have to do an outstanding job of coaching and strategy to put a product on the field that makes the playoffs.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I have the same concerns about our pass rush. We don’t have the horses to pressure QBs with the front 4. I expect the Bills to use blitzing and scheme (simulated pressures) to generate pressure. I do not think we have much on the back end of the defense either. Johnson is excellent at Nickel, but we’re pretty ordinary at outside CB and lack depth there. Our safeties look to be below average as we don’t have one on the roster that wasn’t a backup last season. That’s concerning. I expect to see a lot of two deep. Milano and Bernard at LB is a bright spot (along with Johnson). Still, I see a defense that is not going to be the reason we win games this season. 

I am much happier with the offense. Other than needing to add an X receiver and a complementary RB it looks great to me. A fantastic QB, very good receiving corps, quality lead back and a solid OL is great to have in place already. It obviously going to be the strength of the team. It should make us favorites in the AFCE, but I don’t think we have the defense to make us as competitive in the playoffs as I’d like. Still, you never know what the landscape there is going to be like until the time comes. 

Good points.  We need to scheme up pressure and NOT do what we have always done.  We have become too predictable on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1