Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

Should they go defense, defense, defense in rounds 1-3? Yes. I hear about needing to add a receiver, but address that with a veteran. This should be a passing game that goes through Kincaid more than a second receiver, anyway.

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

Only disagreement is on that early WR pick. I think most on this board understand, and are even in favor, of a very heavy defensive draft given our needs on that side of the ball.

I also agree with going Safety->DT->DE. Heck, I'd say Safety->DT->DE->Safety->DB->DT.

After our WR pick tho.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Only disagreement is on that early WR pick. I think most on this board understand, and are even in favor, of a very heavy defensive draft given our needs on that side of the ball.

I also agree with going Safety->DT->DE. Heck, I'd say Safety->DT->DE->Safety->DB->DT

Yep. Draft a WR in the 1st round, then go defense the next 3 picks.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Well the experts here certainly know better!

• Haha (+1) 1

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 14
  • Thank you (+1) 11

13 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I actually think the opposite. All offense apart from a D lineman

• Like (+1) 1

I think I need to ask him who his dealer is. Because whatever he's smoking is good stuff.

One, the Bills have invested draft capital on the defense. Off the top of my head, Rousseau, Dorian Williams, Elam and Bernard are all playing on rookie contracts.

Oliver, TJ and Milano are homegrown players that we have retained which is a strong sign of healthy drafting and a functional front office, and I think there is a reasonable chance we retain Epenesa and Lawson (also a 1st round pick) in free agency

Spector, Dane Jackson and Benford were excellent late round finds that have well outplayed their draft position and are either starters or key rotation pieces.

Two, he clearly hasn't looked at the FA market for WR.

You want to restock the defense? Good. I agree with you. But WR takes priority, and THEN worry about backfilling safety and D-line depth.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is not the only guy saying that. Us fans mostly want a blue chip rookie WR but Daniel Jeremiah’s first mock has us taking an interior defensive line guy. DJ correctly called Spiller at 9 back in the day.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Vomit 3

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Kincaid is a great weapon that needs to be used more in the offense, but he's never going to be fast enough to fill that other hole we have on offense we need another guy.

I view Kincaid like Beasely was for Allen. Just finding openings and getting 1st downs

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

One, the Bills have invested draft capital on the defense. Off the top of my head, Rousseau, Dorian Williams, Elam and Bernard are all playing on rookie contracts.

Here is one thing O'Halloran says about that:

From 2019-23, in rounds 1-4, the area where immediate starters are generally found, the Bills have drafted seven defensive players. Compare to that this weekend’s conference finalists: Detroit has 15, Baltimore 14, Kansas City 13 and San Francisco five.

WR in RD 1 please. They do need to address the defense as well. But they need another weapon for Allen to throw to. If Diggs really is starting to decline, then the WR pick becomes more important.

• Like (+1) 4

FFS, stop believing what 99% of these talking heads say, it’s all just part of the NFL machine, to drum up more hype, it’s mostly BS,  that you guys fall for this crap over and over is mind boggling..,,  get a second hobby already…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3

I think we need to make some strategic moves to ensure that Allen wins a Super Bowl. Next year is likely going to be a step back, we need to phase out our older contributors.

but I would draft a wr in the 1 st or 2nd round to replace Diggs, and then go defense all the way. DT-Safety-De. If there’s not a good wr available, I’d ok if they went fully defense

17 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I concluded the same thing yesterday.  I think it's pretty simple.   First, the defense let the Bills down on Sunday.   Yes, it could have been nothing more than missing Milano and Bernard in the middle, but the others weren't good enough to step up.  Hyde apparently is gone, Poyer will be gone soon enough, Jones likely is gone, too.  White is a question mark.   The defense needs help.

The offense, on the other hand, is pretty well set.   I'd love to have a better running back to pair with Cook.   People moan about the receivers, but I think the moaning is way out of line with reality.  The Bills had the eighth most passing yards in the league, only 30 yards a game less than the top teams.  Kincaid now has his rookie season under his belt, and he can be expected to be better next season.  Diggs was 13th in yards and 7th in receptions in the league.  Shakir is coming on.   The offensive line was solid.   Bills will need a center, and upgrades anywhere are always nice.   However, compared to the defense, the offense is relatively set - it was one of the best offenses in the league.  

So, yeah, I'm all in with going heavy on defense in the draft and free agency.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 5

Need a WR in the first two rounds. Ideally jn round one. My preferred plan is:

Rd 1 - most explosive WR available

Rd 2 - best DL (edge or tackle) available

Rd 3 - safety

Rs 4 - either OT or C with development upside

Rd 5 (two picks) - another WR (gadgety fast guy) and a DB 

Rd 6 (three picks) - depth on both lines and a developmental Quarterback 

Rd 7 - kicker

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beane drafted starters

Offense - Allen, Cook, Brown, Knox, Torrence, and Kincaid.  Plus WR 3 in Shakir. 

Defense - Oliver, Benford, Benard, Rousseau and Johnson, plus Elam, and youngsters Spector, and Williams at LB who look like potential good depth. Plus he also used top draft capital on Phillips, Basham and Epenesa that didn’t really work out.

Seems to me he has been pretty even handed on both sides of the ball with more high end draft capital spent on Dline much of which were mistakes.

The biggest holes on this roster are WR and Safety. Those should be the primary concerns early in the draft.

I wrote in another thread we should trade down in the 1st to add another 3rd and then go WR, S, Edge, WR with the 1st 4 picks.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

22 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

Everyone is hell bent on a WR, which is incorrect and I'll be laughing when it fails.

DEF all the way

Why laugh when it will be to the detriment of the team? We have ZERO weapons on the outside that scare opposing coordinators or can take the top off a defense

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I concluded the same thing yesterday.  I think it's pretty simple.   First, the defense let the Bills down on Sunday.   Yes, it could have been nothing more than missing Milano and Bernard in the middle, but the others weren't good enough to step up.  Hyde apparently is gone, Poyer will be gone soon enough, Jones likely is gone, too.  White is a question mark.   The defense needs help.

The offense, on the other hand, is pretty well set.   I'd love to have a better running back to pair with Cook.   People moan about the receivers, but I think the moaning is way out of line with reality.  The Bills had the eighth most passing yards in the league, only 30 yards a game less than the top teams.  Kincaid now has his rookie season under his belt, and he can be expected to be better next season.  Diggs was 13th in yards and 7th in receptions in the league.  Shakir is coming on.   The offensive line was solid.   Bills will need a center, and upgrades anywhere are always nice.   However, compared to the defense, the offense is relatively set - it was one of the best offenses in the league.  

I respectfully disagree.  With the game on the line, we couldn't score, despite having the best or 2nd-best QB in the league.  I also think that loading up on defense to try to stop the Reid/Mahomes combo is a fool's errand in some ways - when they need a score, they're almost always going to get it.

Yes, our offensive numbers were good, but we shouldn't be 30 yards less than "the top teams", we should BE the top team.  I'm sick of seeing dropped passes and receivers not on the same page with our QB.  I'm sick of losing to the Chiefs or Bengals because they put a spy on Josh and dare our receivers to win 1 on 1 matchups.  Let's go get some more guys who will consistently win those 1 on 1s.  That doesn't mean we need superstars everywhere, but our WR room was a major disappointment down the stretch, except for Shakir.  Diggs turned into a shell of himself, Davis was a trainwreck then got hurt, Harty made a couple nice plays but was mostly invisible, and Sherfield is a nice 5th WR/special teamer, but shouldn't be starting a playoff game.

With that said, I'm pretty happy with the state of the O-line (but you can always use more depth there - we got really lucky with O-line injuries last year), the TE room if Knox stays, and the RB room.  My assumption is that they'll bring in a bigger back to complement Cook, either late in the draft or on the vet minimum.

Defensively, they'll need to devote at least some of the draft there for sure.  We're going to lose a lot of bodies on the D-line and one always needs depth in the secondary.  I actually think our LBs are great if they get & stay healthy - Bernard & Milano starting, Spector & Williams backing them up.  I expect a mid-round pick (4th or later) at LB.

• Like (+1) 2

In terms of the numbers … they will go Defense heavy in the draft 

But I still expect them to pick at least 1 receiver ( first round), maybe another mid round depending on what happens in FA… and a C in rounds 3-4 to learn the job for  a year and take over in 2025 …

Get that done and I could care  less if they use all those Day 3 picks on the D …

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Need a WR in the first two rounds. Ideally jn round one. My preferred plan is:

Rd 1 - most explosive WR available

Rd 2 - best DL (edge or tackle) available

Rd 3 - safety

Rs 4 - either OT or C with development upside

Rd 5 (two picks) - another WR (gadgety fast guy) and a DB 

Rd 6 (three picks) - depth on both lines and a developmental Quarterback 

Rd 7 - kicker

Sign me up for this, except maybe for the kicker. 

EDIT: And I'd make one of the 6th rounders a linebacker.

Edited by Cash

Going off memory here:

taron Johnson - 4th rounder

Benford - 6th rounder

Dane jackson 7th rounder

Radial Douglas 3rd round trade

Bernard - 3rd rounder

Dodson - I don’t even know

Milano - 5th rounder 

Hyde and Poyer - budget FA signings.

———————————-

Rouso - 1st Round

Epenesa - 2nd round

Boogie Basham - 2nd round

Shaq Lawson - 1st round

Von Miller - MASSIVE free agent signing.

I THINK WE SHOULD STICK TO BUILDING THE D WITH LATE ROUND PICKS.

First two picks should be spent on WR.  Diggs and Shakir are the only guys who will be back and Diggs is a big ???

EDIT: As fans we focus mostly on the first round pick and the second some.  Beane and co im sure focus as much on the late rounders and UDFAs.  Im sure they’ll add some DBs but that doesn’t mean they need to get someone in round 1 or 2

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I don’t understand how people can think Beane is amazing, yet feel the need to draft more defense. That’s what we’ve done, and it hasn’t worked out. If you think this draft should be defense heavy, that’s an acknowledgment we’ve drafted poorly on defense. Quite frankly, I don’t trust this team to judge defense talent. We have a first round CB who hasn’t contributed, why do I trust any defensive pick? I like Beane, nothing against his talent,  I’m just saying it hasn’t worked out, let’s not keep doing the same thing.

We obviously have holes to fill on defense, but I don’t think the draft should go too heavy on defense. Free agency is a decent option to fill those holes with some bargain signings. It’s probably the hot thing for national media/experts to think we need more defense with the way Mahomes dominated, but we had a mash unit out there. This defense looks different with some of our starters back. 

Didn't read article and won't.

Any team going "defense heavy" is setting themselves up for defeat.

We need more offensive weapons on this team first and foremost.

I wouldn't mind 3 new WRs, if not 4.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I also agree with going Safety->DT->DE. Heck, I'd say Safety->DT->DE->Safety->DB->DT.

After our WR pick tho.

I'm not like most on this board then. I say ignore defensive needs, intentionally downgrade the defense in order to FINALLY give Josh Allen the weapons he needs to win a Superbowl for the first time in his life. I want a young, talented, athletic, DEEP WR room. And Diggs may or may not be on the back nine. First 3 picks should all be WR as far as I'm concerned. Wide receiver was in a position of desperation 3 years ago; at this point it is way past desperation.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

After our WR pick tho.

If you throw 102 MPH your focus shouldn’t be working on your curveball. You should try to throw it 105 MPH. WR in the first. Kincaid is a stud. Give Josh weapons!! If you’re ever going to win it isn’t because you got younger at safety. It’s BECAUSE of Josh Allen. WR in the first and another in the middle of the draft. You also need a depth OT. The rest can go to defense. Helping Josh is your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th priority. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The defense has let us down every year in the playoffs, no matter what resources we spent on it in any given year. I think the scheme sucks, the zone is crap against the best QBs, hence it gets picked apart every year. Inside the 20 at the very least, why can't we play more man to man?

Edited by billrooter

1 hour ago, BCAS Baritone said:

We are definitely going to be going defensive heavy....we will still be addressing WR in the draft for sure, and probably early.  Could even take 2 WR's...but overall, this will need to be a defensive heavy draft.  

54 minutes ago, Governor said:

Didn’t we already do that for 6 years? 

No we actually didn't but thats a very popular myth around here. 

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

I actually think the opposite. All offense apart from a D lineman

Whose playing Safety then?  Hyde is gone and Poyer could be a cap cut.  

Who do you need to replace on offense?  We are set at QB, TE, and RB.  Mostly set on the OL.  Just need a couple WR's and at least one can come in FA.  So where are you spending most of your 10 picks on offense at?  

Biggest need on offense is WR.  Biggest need on defense is we need at least 1, possibly 2 safeites, help at DL, Edge, and CB.  

Its crazy to go offensive heavy this draft unless you want the worst defense in the league next year.  

• Agree 1

People are going to explode on this board when the Bills select a DE or Safety in the 1st round. Some very good defensive players are going to be pushed down the board and the value will be too irresistible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

After our WR pick tho.

I think it depends on who is available when we are up. I sincerely doubt we trade up but that could happen I guess. Mainly because we have so many needs. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.