Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

4 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

This is where I’m at too. No way they can get an impactful defenseman (I mean game wrecker type like Mack, Donald, Watt) where they’re picking. But a fast or ball hawkish WR can completely improve the O either directly or indirectly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know I'm jaded, but I couldn't care less about the defense at this point.

McDermott has shown he can coach up late round picks just fine, and the 1st round picks have been hit or miss. Just give your star QB more weapons & more protection, then look for depth on D. Probably a dumb strategy, but a top 10 or even top 5 defense hasn't helped stop elite QBs yet, so why not try to outscore them?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Time will tell… get at least one in the draft … but FA could be an option for WR  … look everywhere 

Wishful thinking that Von would not want to be an anchor on a team he hopes makes it to the superbowl and would adjust his contract accordingly. I know, will never happen…

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Whose playing Safety then?  Hyde is gone and Poyer could be a cap cut.  

Who do you need to replace on offense?  We are set at QB, TE, and RB.  Mostly set on the OL.  Just need a couple WR's and at least one can come in FA.  So where are you spending most of your 10 picks on offense at?  

Biggest need on offense is WR.  Biggest need on defense is we need at least 1, possibly 2 safeites, help at DL, Edge, and CB.  

Its crazy to go offensive heavy this draft unless you want the worst defense in the league next year.  

Look at the teams left in the playoffs, all great offences. I'd agree about safety but can't we focus on making this the best offense in the NFL, think we should take at least two players on O very high

If we can't get a physical, speedy WR with separation skills in free agency we need to draft one.  Plain and simple.  Most of the fans here have watched even more games than some of these pundits and I can tell you that we are lacking consistent enough separation from our WRs when facing man defenses.  Yes, I dream of Josh Allen throwing occasional bombs to Tyreek Hill, DK Metcalf, Ja'marr Chase, etc.  I do agree with going defense all the way after that, depending on who we resign or replace through free agency.

Edited by Murdox
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I know I'm jaded, but I couldn't care less about the defense at this point.

McDermott has shown he can coach up late round picks just fine, and the 1st round picks have been hit or miss. Just give your star QB more weapons & more protection, then look for depth on D. Probably a dumb strategy, but a top 10 or even top 5 defense hasn't helped stop elite QBs yet, so why not try to outscore them?

It's not a dumb strategy when you've invested as much capital in a defense as this regime has.  

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

First off, we don't need a #2 WR.  We need a guy that can fill the #1 role as soon as possible.  

Agree. Two years ago when some of us wanted WR early in the draft that guy could be a #2 compliment to Diggs. Last year when some of us wanted WR early we needed a guy who could both compliment and eventually succeed. This year the ask is for a guy who hopefully by the end of his rookie year is our best offensive weapon. 

That does change the type we are looking for. For example the two Texas guys would (in different ways) have fitted 2 years ago. Now? They are not the answer IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills needs in rank of importance IMO

1 WR1 (#1 need far and above every other position- outside WR -seperation and mits)

2- DT

3- S

4- WR2(seperation, route running, mits)

5- Edge

6-DT

7-RB 2/3 (pass protect, short yardage, mits)

So IMO we should draft skill positions on offense and devote rest of resources to D, so I agree most draft and FA capitial will go to D

Here's how I see it:

The Bills success at receiver has been Diggs/burner WR/safety valve a la Beasley-type/Knox. Honestly, we could just draft/sign a decent #2 and I feel we are set, and the draft has a ton of options. We can have Diggs/[insert WR]/Shakir/Kincaid&Knox. You can draft someone like Ricky Pearsall in the 2nd or 3rd, and that dude has hands. I feel that could be the best WR corps we'd have since the 2000s or even the 90s (if we sign another HoFer-level WR opposite Diggs)

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills needs in rank of importance IMO

1 WR1 (#1 need far and above every other position- outside WR -seperation and mits)

2- DT

3- S

4- WR2(seperation, route running, mits)

5- Edge

6-DT

7-RB 2/3 (pass protect, short yardage, mits)

So IMO we should draft skill positions on offense and devote rest of resources to D, so I agree most draft and FA capitial will go to D

I'd say in order of importance it is:

1. WR

2. Edge

3. S

4. DT (the need there is higher but the importance is lower... we have our difference maker there.... we need a starter at 1T and some role players)

5. C

6. OT

7. More WR depth

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

So keep doing what hasnt worked?

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

4. DT (the need there is higher but the importance is lower... we have our difference maker there.... we need a starter at 1T and some role players)

At no point in the history of football has S ever been more important than DT.

If the Bills don't find a way to retain Daquan Jones, they have seriously ***** up, imo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.