Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

My guess is if he’s out there, we’ll see it quickly how limited he is. 

And we’ve got two bodies to go to behind him in Spector and Williams. 

And Klein.

We're deep.  Guys like Rapp and Dotson going down is not really going to move the needle, IMO

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I would almost prefer Williams out there at LB in this game. Steelers aren't going to try and trick you, they will just run right at you.

Williams is a heat seeking missile in those situations...

Bills also re-signed AJ Klein who might be valuable as well since they wouldn't be able to expose him in pass coverage most likely but he is very solid against the run and his run fits 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Keyshawn has the Bills winning 35-10  (up 35-0 and Steelers score some garbage points)

Michael Irvin more concerned about weather, has Bills winning 21-17 but could flip the other way in those conditions.

Skip says Pittsburgh is winning 19-16.  

Hope his beloved cowboys get spanked...

• Like (+1) 1

In this weather - the threat of a deep or intermediate passing game out of Pitt is almost nil.  We can stack the line and focus on Harris, and stick w/ 1-1 coverage most of the game.

Pitt doesn't quite have that luxury. They'll overload on the line also, but it could give us some big play opportunities in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Unlikely...this area is pretty much fine with anything under 4 feet. We have the best snow plowing in the country outside of the Sierra Nevada Mountains that get like 15-20 feet of snow in storm systems at times.

So good that many other states send their snow plow drivers to be trained in WNY

I skied the Sierras last year for the first time. Driving in was....wild. I have done Colorado a few times, but I never saw anything like the 15 foot snow walls all the way in to Taho. 

4 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I did, but I parlayed it with Najee to score the games first TD plus cowboys and chiefs to win. That 4 leg parlay is +4,000 on DraftKings right now. $50 gets me almost $2,100. 

It didn’t go over well when I suggested I’d rather lose last week and play all road games due to weather. I’m good going to balmy Miami with josh. Problem is all the other opponents are going to be nasty weather games so maybe we survive this week and then get better weather at home next week. 

Solid value- but $50 doesn’t equal $500! 😉 

God I hate the weather for this one. Just win Buffalo.

Just now, Mango said:

I skied the Sierras last year for the first time. Driving in was....wild. I have done Colorado a few times, but I never saw anything like the 15 foot snow walls all the way in to Taho. 

+1 Donner Pass is unrivaled imo.

• Like (+1) 1

I still can't believe all of the worrying in this thread.

The fear from Pittsburgh in this matchup was always about the passing game.  If there was any concern it was that Pickens and Johnson had gotten some chemistry with Rudolph and would run around and make big plays for the Steelers.  The weather removes that one little bit of "worry" I had because everybody knows Pittsburgh has to try and run the ball.

It will be low scoring and I don't think the Steelers put more than 10 points on the board.  23-10 sounds about right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Yeah, but if Josh thinks he can out throw 30mph winds and 43 gusts he needs to check his ego at the door. lol.  A frozen ball being thrown at 90mph to a guy 7 yards in front of him in snowfall/wind will not be real catchable.  

This game will be all about who can play better D, run the ball more effectively and make a special teams play or two that hurts the other team.  Whichever teams gets more takeaways is likely to win. 

In my opinion the better team going in, should still be the better team in a bad weather game.

Nah- He threw the ball just fine vs the pats 2 years ago.  Our biggest mistake and the reason we lost the game was because we didn’t throw the ball enough.  If we run every play- we might not score a point

• Agree 2

Just now, Mango said:

To be fair… last year was a record year for snowfall in that area.   They get a lot of snow, no doubt!   But, last year was definitely above average and there were several snow events that were just insane.   Hence when all the mountain snow melted in the spring, Tulare Lake appeared in central CA for the first time in quite some time.  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

No Douglas would be huge. Dodson too. Rapp and Davis are whatever. 

I think Rapp is kind of big this game- he’s a great tackler and good vs the run.  

52 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I think Rapp is kind of big this game- he’s a great tackler and good vs the run.  

7 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Weather—on a positive note?

I wouldn’t drive up from PIT all along Lake Erie this weekend. Lowers Steeler ratio of fans at the game

i don't follow what you're saying? i will be driving that exact route

53 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Davis hurts the run game, and Rapp does play in the box quite a bit. But if we are going to be missing a WR and have a banged up secondary and missing a WR, against Pittsburgh in what looks to be a very windy game is likely the best place to do it. 

• Agree 1

I imagine Steelers fans are pissed that the money they spent on tickets may be lost because it will be so difficult to get into town this weekend.  However, I think they are also feeling like the weather is doing them a huge favor in the game. Can probably find the same confidence in their ground game vs ours, as we have with our QB passing in this crap vs theirs. This will be a really amazing game to watch; could set some remarkable records. 

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I think we're not talking about a lot is special teams, and the impact the weather and some of these injuries might have.

Despite Harty's breakout last week and Martin's special teams honors, our ST have been abysmal this year. This seems like the kind of game where either team could have a breakdown that allows a big return. I'd be more worried about us having that breakdown given how bad we've been this year.

In a close scoring game, a big return or two could be all the difference.

• Agree 2

IMO, this is the type of game where our two tight ends and running backs coming out of the backfield need to play a significant role in the passing game. Without that it could be a very long day.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Rubes said:

One thing I think we're not talking about a lot is special teams, and the impact the weather and some of these injuries might have.

Despite Harty's breakout last week and Martin's special teams honors, our ST have been abysmal this year. This seems like the kind of game where either team could have a breakdown that allows a big return. I'd be more worried about us having that breakdown given how bad we've been this year.

yep - Sal was talking about this earlier today on WGR.

That blocked punt the Steelers pulled off at the 2021 season opener against us made all the difference.  Hopefully something silly like that doesn’t sink us this time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I’m more concerned about giving up a blocked punt. We have been dangerously close more than a few times this season of giving one up.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I imagine Steelers fans are pissed that the money they spent on tickets may be lost because it will be so difficult to get into town this weekend.  However, I think they are also feeling like the weather is doing them a huge favor in the game. Can probably find the same confidence in their ground game vs ours, as we have with our QB passing in this crap vs theirs. This will be a really amazing game to watch; could set some remarkable records. 

How hard is it to drive a few hours from Pittsburgh to Buffalo??? 

Lake effect snow can be very unpredictable. That being said, as important as it was to win the division and play at home, heavy snow WILL negatively impact some of the advantages the Bills had going into the game. I don't care how big and strong Allen's arm is, you just can't throw the ball at all in those conditions. 

Games de-volve into the neighborhood kids playing street football in snowbanks..where anything is possible.

For those of you who didn't see it or remember, the Bills won one of those games vs the Colts in 2017.  McCoy ended up running for like 32 carries. (Hi-lights

available on YouTube for what may be a preview)

7 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Agreed. not worried about a return. I am worried about muffs and blocks. Basically how the Steelers beat us in the opener last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

State of Emergency issued - https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather/severe-weather/gov-hochul-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-winter-storm/71-fa9ef136-49ef-4935-803c-ab505bd4dfec 

but then there's this "Hochul says her team is in contact with local officials, as well as the Buffalo Bill's to ensure the safety of fans who attend the game on Sunday in Orchard Park."

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

IMO, this is the type of game where our two tight ends and running backs coming out of the backfield need to play a significant role in the passing game. Without that it could be a very long day.

I’ve often felt the Bills were working on this type of offense all season long.  It’s not always looked pretty either.  But, I think they realized with all the bad weather last year, that they need the ability to do this and not always be a vertical passing type offense.  

IMO, this is when we start to see the fruits of all the poor offensive production this season.  If we can run the ball effectively, pass to TEs and RBs out of the back field and just move the ball on Sunday… we’ll finally have the type of team that can win in any kind of weather or stadium.  

• Agree 1

Ty Johnson clearing concussion protocol hopefully puts him on track to play Sunday.

Wouldn’t hate some two back sets with Cook, Johnson and Fournette all able to motion out and/or catch out of the backfield.  

That, along with two tight end looks, could both offset the loss of Gabe and provide a more reliable passing attack in the weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How hard is it to drive a few hours from Pittsburgh to Buffalo??? 

HUH? The unknown. Driving with Lake affect all along 90 from Erie?  maybe getting stuck or stuck without a hotel etc

14 hours ago, Figster said:

Weather helps the Steeler run game IMO. Hopefully we can counter with some down hill running of our own from Fornette. 

32 carries for 89 yards in last 2 games vs Bills by Harris and Warren.  In good weather. Bring it on!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.