James Cook named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m kind of surprised that Shady never won one of these while he was running back for us

Have to actually “win” a game. I feel bad for so many of the drought players like Freddy. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Admittedly I’m not on TBD as much as I used to be, but it makes me very happy to see @YoloinOhio posting again!  I was worried about you during your hiatus.

Great to see you back!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Have to actually “win” a game. I feel bad for so many of the drought players like Freddy. 

I know some will disagree but I believe if (1) Fred stayed healthy, and (2) played on a good team, he would have been considered for the Hall of Fame.  He wasn't just a high-effort guy.  He was a multi-talented back.  If I recall correctly, he once led the league in yards after contact.  But the OL wasn't good and he often had to fight just for a measly three-yard pick-up for a team that no one watched or cared about.  

What we saw in the Dallas game was a back with good vision, wiggle, and burst who ran against light boxes through nice lanes created by the OL and good scheming by the offensive coaches.  It wasn't all Cook.  But it wasn't no Cook either.  He maximized his opportunities.  Congrats!

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cook absolutely deserved it, BUT...

It would be cool if offensive linemen won these awards sometimes. If you go back and watch Cook's biggest runs on Sunday, he often had gaping holes to run through.

Congrats to Jimbo Cook, by all means, but Dion Dawkins is the real offensive player of the week for my money.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know some will disagree but I believe if (1) Fred stayed healthy, and (2) played on a good team, he would have been considered for the Hall of Fame.  He wasn't just a high-effort guy.  He was a multi-talented back.  If I recall correctly, he once led the league in yards after contact.  But the OL wasn't good and he often had to fight just for a measly three-yard pick-up for a team that no one watched or cared about.  

What we saw in the Dallas game was a back with good vision, wiggle, and burst who ran against light boxes through nice lanes created by the OL and good scheming by the offensive coaches.  It wasn't all Cook.  But it wasn't no Cook either.  He maximized his opportunities.  Congrats!

Fred Jackson was power back with speed & maneuverability and able to block.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Just think if Dorsey gave him more touches in the first half of the season. He might be leading the league in rushing yards.

I don’t know if it is easy as that, but it might be.  I think Brady knows how to scheme to run at a higher level and play to our advantages.  

Dorsey was a bum that was overvalued due to the great talent around him.  Similar to his college playing career.  He was a much better college QB than he was OC 

Cook runs differently than any other great Bills back I can remember.  Obviously not the same as Cookie.  Not as big or elusive as OJ but nearly as fast, but I don't recall OJ slipping through cracks in the line like Cook.  Shiftier than Thurman but maybe not as strong.  Not as powerful as Travis Henry.  Not as shifty as Shady, but still quite good.  Much quicker than Singletary but maybe not quite as powerful.  The closest comparison I can make is to Max Anderson, aka mini-Max, who was the guy before OJ showed up, but Cook overall is generally better than Anderson ever was.

I was concerned that Cook wasn't big or strong enough to run between the tackles but he's shown he can do that well.  

The area needing improvement the most is in pass protection, and I think he just needs to be coached up and to work on that.  

Beane seems to be a throw-mud-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks drafter.  He kept drafting DEs until he got a couple who can play (Rousseau, sometimes Epenesa).  After picking Moss and Singletary pretty high, he hit a homer with Cook.  I hope it doesn't take that many swings and misses to find new WR2, center, and safety since these will be positions of need going forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.