Bills @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Simon

5 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I believe Mahomes used the "hes barley offside" excuse

If i was a pass rusher and got flagged for roughing against Kermit id tell him straight to his face "I barley hit you"

I think it was more like “But I’m Patrick Holmes” defense 

• Like (+1) 1

Can someone explain to me how the chiefs seem to always have like 10 guys all within 5 yards of the LOS?

With the amount of pressure looks and tight man coverage they play— it just seems like there is a way to attack it much more effectively than what we do, which is Josh Allen running for his life and making heroic plays. 

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It was also delicious to see Kelce become unhinged at the beginning of the game when they had the audacity to actually call him for PI - how can this be happenning this is not allowed do you know who I am!  lol

They called it on him last week also.

55 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

So true. 2:12 left in the game, first down deep in Chiefs territory, we have successfully run the ball all game, the Chiefs are down to 2 timeouts, and we throw three terrible passes.???????

I don't think you or the guy you are responding to understand what they were trying to do.  With 2:12 left Brady felt KC would be stuffing the line for the run, he called an incredibly save pass play to one of our better steadier playmakers, Diggs.   95% of times that is caught.  65% of the time in that instance Diggs would have gained about 7-8 yards and the clock would have gone to 2:00.  From there we would have run the ball to try and pick up the 1st.  If successful then the we would have played the time game.

Once that high percentage passed was dropped the whole complexion of the end of game strategy changed.  Brady wanted the TD.  KC was going to have time either way.  The TD attempts were more valuable than the difference in amount of time KC would have.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Congratulations.  It went like I thought.  KC wrs can’t get out of their own way.  Same thing all year.  Lots of good results for the Bills.  May just be your year yet.

Mahomes is still Mahomes. This rivalry is going nowhere as long as decent Bills talent and Allen are here. 

With that said, if Mahomes gets a true #1 WR again to pair with Kelce, this win doesn’t happen. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Von Miller looked a little better this week, at least making Mahomes slightly anxious a few times. Not a dominant force by far, but taking baby steps towards earning a spot on the field. 

There were 3 plays I specifically saw him make a great and obvious impact on.  There were others I saw him get washed out and look like he wanted no part of diving into a pile and try to help.  You can tell he is playing more under control and making a conscious decision not to put his body in harms way.  That said, he made an impact on a few snaps at big times which is a step in the right direction.  Hopefully he continues to build on it if he continues to be able to play.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Araiza Curse said:

Mahomes is still Mahomes. This rivalry is going nowhere as long as decent Bills talent and Allen are here. 

With that said, if Mahomes gets a true #1 WR again to pair with Kelce, this win doesn’t happen. 

Good news is we should be picking ahead of them in a WR-rich draft to stay ahead in the arms race.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Araiza Curse said:

If the chiefs are just gifted a great player and the opponent is not allowed to make a matching improvement to their roster this win doesn’t happen 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Thanks - but my son subsequently showed me the press conference and he was upset that Toney was called Offside on the throwback play.

Just speculating, but maybe some lingering p!ssiness from the non-call at the end of the Packers game.

Definitely not a look I've seen from Mahomes. The fact that he was that p!ssed after the game makes me wonder if it affected him on the three plays that followed the penalty.

When that play happened and Von broke down over the line at the snap I thought it was a free play for the Chiefs.  Happy for no flag.  Very happy,

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With 2:12 left Brady felt KC would be stuffing the line for the run, he called an incredibly save pass play to one of our better steadier playmakers, Diggs.   95% of times that is caught.  65% of the time in that instance Diggs would have gained about 7-8 yards and the clock would have gone to 2:00.

I agree that was a very solid call at the time.

My only beef was that they had already run it for nothing about 4-5 times throughout the game, so the Chiefs were attacking it before the ball was even out of Allen's hand.

You keep that in your pocket and don't get it out til you really want it and it likely works a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

i was pretty much stuck yelling wtf wft wtf wtf wtf wtf are we doing??    I thought Brady took a step back this game..   reverted back to a lot of things that

got Dorsey fired. 

And what was back? Two TEs. I don’t think this serves them well. 

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't think you or the guy you are responding to understand what they were trying to do.  With 2:12 left Brady felt KC would be stuffing the line for the run, he called an incredibly save pass play to one of our better steadier playmakers, Diggs.   95% of times that is caught.  65% of the time in that instance Diggs would have gained about 7-8 yards and the clock would have gone to 2:00.  From there we would have run the ball to try and pick up the 1st.  If successful then the we would have played the time game.

Once that high percentage passed was dropped the whole complexion of the end of game strategy changed.  Brady wanted the TD.  KC was going to have time either way.  The TD attempts were more valuable than the difference in amount of time KC would have.

That's a lot of if's and maybe's. I'm sure what they were trying to do, but there are many times that coaches outsmart themselves. Would make a ton more sense to run the ball and even if it doesn't gain yardage, either KC spends a timeout or you run it down to the 2 minute mark. Atlanta lost a Super Bowl trying to be too smart.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

Luck really went our way in this one.  That lateral felt like just another one we'd have to add to the list of "rip heart out of chest, throw it in a mud puddle and stomp on it" insane plays that led to Bills losses.

Crazy enough, the "QB" of the Homerun Throwback, Frank Wycheck, just passed away yesterday at 52.

Maybe he reached down and gave Toney a little push forward as he was lining up, to get us back for getting one over on us with a forward lateral. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

Because we never beat the Chiefs when they had Hill or something?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I understand what you mean, but the chiefs are a top 5 defense, and still one of the best teams in the NFL. Quality win.

But we did see Brady get out-coached in the second half by a veteran DC. We have to expect something of a learning curve for our young OC. Hoping this was a good experience for Brady.

Hope so for Brady, seems they moved away from Kincaid since Knox was back, but he could have just been covered.

I'm happy for the win trust me, they fought hard for it.

1 minute ago, Heathcliff said:

And what was back? Two TEs. I don’t think this serves them well. 

knox?   but really bad routes, not spreading things out in the 2nd half, 3 passes including the pass in the endzone when all u had to to was run the clock down and kick a fieldgoal.   Im sure there were probably runs on other downs but only noticed them on first down... which rarely go anywhere.   lack of cook in the second half...i think 12 straight pass plays.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree that was a very solid call at the time.

My only beef was that they had already run it for nothing about 4-5 times throughout the game, so the Chiefs were attacking it before the ball was even out of Allen's hand.

You keep that in your pocket and don't get it out til you really want it and it likely works a lot better.

Exactly,  other than maybe once, that wr screen didn't work all day. It works great in college but NFL dbs are just too fast for it to work consistently. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Very good post. 

6 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

That's a lot of if's and maybe's. I'm sure what they were trying to do, but there are many times that coaches outsmart themselves. Would make a ton more sense to run the ball and even if it doesn't gain yardage, either KC spends a timeout or you run it down to the 2 minute mark. Atlanta lost a Super Bowl trying to be too smart.

So, you wanted them to get incredibly conservative with over 2 minutes left in a tied game.  That's one approach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Crazy enough, the "QB" of the Homerun Throwback, Frank Wycheck, just passed away yesterday at 52.

Maybe he reached down and gave Toney a little push forward as he was lining up, to get us back for getting one over on us with a forward lateral. :thumbsup:

Damn he was young.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

For at least three years is what I heard in the radio the other day 

Not quite. The potential is there but it doesn’t look like the Bills will unite hold up their end of the deal. It’s worked out the way it has ( all games at KC) because the Bills and Chiefs finished in the same respective place in their divisions. It’s not looking too likely that the Chiefs and Bills will do this in 2023 ( it could still happen just doesn’t seem likely). That would currently mean the Bills wouldn’t play the Chiefs in 2024 and would get Denver instead. Still 4 games to go, so this could change. 

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  other than maybe once, that wr screen didn't work all day. It works great in college but NFL dbs are just too fast for it to work consistently. 

We don’t have WRs who can pick up YAC on that play anyway.  It’s a total waste.

I don't fault the call on the first down with 2:12 to play.  99% of the time that is a catch and a few yards.  If Diggs catches that ball and gets four or five yards it sets up a couple of runs on 2nd and third down that use up KC timeouts and maybe gets them the first down so they can kick the FG to win.

The second down throw was the killer. That has to be a run to get to the 2 min warning. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It may not have worked.   But it seemed like a reasonable call.  A very safe pass with a high reception percentage to a veteran trusted player.  Might not have given them a lot of yards but reasonable to think it would have been caught and run the clock to the 2 min warning.  And to me, i don't think run would have netted any yards.

29 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seemed like the bills went back to a lot of 12 with Knox back in the lineup.

I hope they go back to 11 with more Shakir.

Josh is straight up a better QB with spread 11, vs 12 personnel condensed 

Sounded like Knox played well though.🤷‍♂️

It's not like you can only use one.

25 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Most were ready to cut him a long time ago.  Hopefully you guys saw my post predicting we’d lose because the WRs make too many mistakes and I thought it would keep happening….and it did.  Rice fumble, To ey offside.  Same thing all year.  Too many mistakes to overcome.

Yeah the Chiefs are not playing good football.   I expected the Bills to win this one and the spread was indicative that Vegas thought the Bills were playing better recently as well.   Both the Bills and Chiefs should have addressed their WR positions better.   Both units were bad today but the Chiefs made the big mistakes(which they have been doing all season).

40 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Most were ready to cut him a long time ago.  Hopefully you guys saw my post predicting we’d lose because the WRs make too many mistakes and I thought it would keep happening….and it did.  Rice fumble, To ey offside.  Same thing all year.  Too many mistakes to overcome.

I think a lot of people have been saying the Chiefs weak point is that they're weapons are basically Kelce and an empty cupboard.

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good news is we should be picking ahead of them in a WR-rich draft to stay ahead in the arms race.

I mean if we make it in maybe not.

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

So was the lateral a designed part of the play or just off the cuff? 

It doesn't matter - since the refs tragically called a penalty, for all intents and purposes the play never happened so the football world, nay - all the world, has been forever denied of its greatness

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Refs will often tell wr's to move back from the line of scrimmage. It's done quite often.

'

Usually they will .. IF the WR looks over at them to check. Toney never did this and was so far offside it was ridiculous. Had to be called , but if he looked over they likely would have let him know 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.