Who is running the Bills

margolbe

1 minute ago, margolbe said:

Never hear anything really meaningful from upper management.  I understand that Pegula's kids are in involved, but in what capacity?  Who does Beane account to.  Are they happy with how things are?  I doubt Jerry Jones would be this quiet.

Great question.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I never want to hear from the owner. And I don't care to hear from the GM during the season.

And I never want to hear from the owner. Did I mention that?

Seriously, what's the point?

Don't be obtuse.  We have a head coach who needs firing and it's important to know who might be making the call on such an important decision.  Obviously, Beane would be involved, but who else?  Terry himself, or does he have underlings to whom he's delegated responsibility for decisions like this?   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mannc said:

Don't be obtuse.  We have a head coach who needs firing and it's important to know who might be making the call on such an important decision.  Obviously, Beane would be involved, but who else?  Terry himself, or does he have underlings to whom he's delegated responsibility for decisions like this?   

Exactly.  When things are going badly, someone has to step in to let fans know they know whats going on.

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

Kim Pegula's situation set the franchise back. Terry doesn't want to be involved in the day to day

But I thought he has other family members involved in running the franchise.  Have to believe someone is overseeing this mess.

59 minutes ago, mannc said:

Why is it a mystery on who would be making the call?  Terry Pegula is head of the organization and the owner.  There is absolutely nothing that would indicate he is not the primary decision maker.  McDermott reports to him directly.  This is not a mystery.  Some people seem to need to create confusion where none exists.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Kim Pegula's situation set the franchise back. Terry doesn't want to be involved in the day to day

Him not being involved is probably good. Can we get a football guy in to be involved? Or maybe Beane can just stop wanting to watch his players lose games that most fans could close out? I mean, I don’t want the owner making football decisions the guy knows nothing about sports but can we get a football guy in the building to say McDermott is killing us?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Why is it a mystery on who would be making the call?  Terry Pegula is head of the organization and the owner.  There is absolutely nothing that would indicate he is not the primary decision maker.  McDermott reports to him directly.  This is not a mystery.  Some people seem to need to create confusion where none exists.  

Obviously Terry has the last word, but are there others within his organization who would be involved in the decision, other than Beane?  It’s an important question and you didn’t answer it.

1 hour ago, margolbe said:

Never hear anything really meaningful from upper management.  I understand that Pegula's kids are in involved, but in what capacity?  Who does Beane account to.  Are they happy with how things are?  I doubt Jerry Jones would be this quiet.

Probably not but i would take the Pegs over Jerry any day ...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Obviously Terry has the last word, but are there others within his organization who would be involved in the decision, other than Beane?  It’s an important question and you didn’t answer it.

I believe both Beane and McDermott  report directly to Pegula.  That would mean Beane has no authority to fire McDermott. But don't most teams have a structure where the owner sits over the GM and the GM sits over the HC?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My questions:

Does Beane have the authority to fire McDermott?

Would Beane fire McDermott if he had the authority to do so?

Any way Beane would stay within organization without McDermott?

Does Terry ever attend Bills games home or away?

Are any of the Pegulas actually in WNY ever?

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Eyeroll 2

12 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I believe both Beane and McDermott  report directly to Pegula.  That would mean Beane has no authority to fire McDermott. But don't most teams have a structure where the owner sits over the GM and the GM sits over the HC?

Yes, I think it's somewhat unusual for the coach to report directly to the Owner instead of to the GM (assuming that's true), but that doesn't mean that Beane wouldn't have significant influence on decisions about McDermott's future.  Many organizations also have someone who sits above the GM but below the owner (such as a President of Football Operations).  I don't know if Terry has someone like that within his organization, but it would be interesting to know.   

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Exactly. Almost all sports teams have this kind of hierarchy, with GM clearly above head coach. But with the Bills, Beane is not above McDermott on the organizational chart and therefore does not have the sole ability to fire the head coach. If any move is made, it will be coming from Terry Pegula, not Brandon Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

My questions:

Id imagine that Beane and McDermott don’t plan on being a package deal / interviewing together for the rest of their lives Iike Will Ferrell and John C Reilly in Stepbrothers. 

2 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

My questions:

Alll on the next edition of the Days of the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

It all depends who has Terry’s ear. From what I understand, he was very close with McDermott

Ultimately, the decision will be made by TP.  But who else can influence him?  We have no freaking close.  

17 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Exactly. Almost all sports teams have this kind of hierarchy, with GM clearly above head coach. But with the Bills, Beane is not above McDermott on the organizational chart and therefore does not have the sole ability to fire the head coach. If any move is made, it will be coming from Terry Pegula, not Brandon Beane. 

This is not uncommon in the NFL.  Many times the GM and Coach both report to the owner.  It’s more desirable for a coach 

2 hours ago, 14774 said:

While we don't know what, if anything, has been said behind closed doors, it would be nice to hear a Pegula express their displeasure publicly. Maybe it would "light a fire" under coaches/players behinds.

Good managers don't do that.  If they are effective they can light that fire behind closed doors.

• Agree 1

More importantly Terrence Pegula is no young man, he’s 72, when the average life expectancy of a man is 78. Pegula is rich but that only buys you a few years unless they are a drunk like the Colts owner. We might need a new owner in 10 years. Is Kim capable of running the team or will it be sold to the highest bidder?

4 hours ago, margolbe said:

But I thought he has other family members involved in running the franchise.  Have to believe someone is overseeing this mess.

Well other family members being the children of Kim and Terry -- gotta assume none of them are prioritizing Bills over concern over Kim's recovery.  For all we know she maybe still has final say over anything Bills but she prefers to keep out of public eye as she recovers.  

I tend to think McDermott runs the football side of things including some personnel duties that might usually go to the GM and Beane handles contracts, finances, the cap and some other GM duties (putting out feelers for trades, managing the scouts).

McDermott hired Beane which is kind of bizarre, and both seem to be peers in the org chart reporting directly to Pegula.

I agree that Kim’s health issues have caused problems in how they expected to run things. I think Pegula found McDermott through some sort of third party consulting firm.

It’s honestly kind of a mess if things aren’t going peachy. Who has the authority to fire who? Do McDermott and Beane go as a pair? Considering his personal circumstances does Terry just punt the decision and give everybody another year?

Another wrinkle is the need to sell expensive PSLs for the new stadium over the next year. If the team continues to slide a change might have to happen to encourage sales. We have no cap space for a splashy UFA, so maybe a splashy HC instead? Harbaugh?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.