Come home Frank...Reich fired

Dablitzkrieg

16 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

With how he coached in that playoff game a couple of years ago against the Bills, no thank you.  He made a number of head scratching calls and played a key role in that defeat.  I saw that game as more of Indianapolis losing, than the Bills winning.  To those that stated he's the offensive version of McDermott, that seems to be a pretty good comparison.  

Reich is the reason we won

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It shows how naive the folks on this board are that we have gone 5 pages and not stated the obvious:

If McD goes to Carolina then Brandon Beane will go with him.

Contract-shmontract.

Carolina is home for Beane and he can leave behind a bad cap situation and go home to work with his friend McDermott?   That's a dream come true for those guys.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

This is somewhat what I am terrified of if we fired McDermott. I feel like if Belichick gets let go from New England that Terry will wanna make headlines and get Belichick here and I honestly want no part of that. The dude has always been extremely overrated and I'd rather go younger with an up and comer with a good offensive mind

Ok How about Eric Bienemy?  I get for some reason he struck some owners wrong in interviews, but maybe his attitude sits well with players? In the end that is what truly counts. 

Bryce Young looks like a kid playing in the NFL. He's freaking tiny. Even his arms and legs are like toothpicks. 

Jalen Hurts can squat 1700 pounds, as we're often told (and it might be 1800 this week) and at least looks built. Tua also has added some mass so that he's not made of balsa wood. 

Bryce Young is a tiny guy with minimal arm strength who looks like he will break if a DT hits him. I don't get what anyone saw in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

that was the owner. Reich and GM wanted Stroud

That's just a rumor. I'm down here in NC and my family are mostly Panthers fans, and they're football junkies too. It's just hindsight rumors because Stroud has clearly looked better to this point. At least that's what it feels like to me. It makes no sense to force a Rookie QB on to a 1st year offensive HC. You have to give him his preference and the official stance has always been that it was unanimous inside the organization that Bryce was the guy. Tepper has issues, but I don't think he's that dumb. Maybe though.

And it has been confirmed by reporters in Houston that the Texans would have taken Young if they had been able to move into the #1 overall spot. They tried and thought they had a deal done to do it. 

This hindsight stuff on Young is interesting. It reminds me of Tua. Young is an amazing kid. He's brilliant... They say he has a photographic memory. His mental testing was off-the-charts good pre Draft. There is a reason teams were wanting to get into #1 overall to get him. 

I've watched almost every Panthers game this year and, IMHO at least, the problem was Reich and that terrible vanilla offense he trotted out. It was brutal. They learned nothing from Tua's 1st two years and did exactly what the Fish did. They put the kid back there behind a terrible offensive line and asked him to work miracles to blanketed receivers. It was awful..

And I love Frank, but I want nothing to do with him as a coach after what I saw this year. It was so very bad. B-)

• Like (+1) 2

For all you thinking Reich was wronged in Carolina, or that he would be a viable replacement here, I'm guessing you have not watched much Panthers football this year. I love Frank too, but good grief keep him away from my team... No thank you.

The rumors about him wanting Stroud are completely just that...rumors. Young was always going to be the guy, they have been steadfast from day one that it was a unanimous decision. And the Texans wanted Young over Stroud too. Just so happens that they all look wrong right now. But remember, after their rookie years there is not a person on the face of the earth that would take Tua over Herbert. But there are at least a few now. 

Reich is supposed to be an offensive guru and his offense was brutal. They put that poor kid out there behind the worst offensive line in the league and outside of Thielen gave him nothing. No one is ever open. It looks so vanilla, nothing clever. It's just brutal. If you Draft a small QB like Young you HAVE to do what the fish did with Tua and build something around him that matches his skill set, and keeps him clean. The Panthers did not even try that. Reich is to blame and rightfully got fired for it. And I know Tepper is an idiot, but in this case I would have done the exact same thing. Frank looked lost, his offense was terrible. It was the right move. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

Carolina gave Reich 11 games, yet we can't get rid of a coach who is in over his head at taking the team over the hump and into the next level.

Carolina is a paragon of success and stability.

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

It HAS to be a member of the 90's team, no need to look anywhere else, Kelly for OC, Bruce DC, Reed Wr coach, etc, it cant be stopped

Well who better to get us back to the Super Bowl than the guys with no coaching experience who made it to 4 straight championships and...F@#$%^

• Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Ok How about Eric Bienemy?  I get for some reason he struck some owners wrong in interviews, but maybe his attitude sits well with players? In the end that is what truly counts. 

I want no part of Bienemy either. The dude has a rap sheet which I think is why he hasn't gotten a job yet. Not to mention he has been known to interview like crap and rubs players and coaches the wrong way. No thanks

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Because Frank was a good HC in Indy or Carolina? Please he's horrible.

I dont want Reich here but to say he is horrible is hyperbolic.   He is about average in terms of coaching and had some good years in Indianapolis.   I would imagine its likely over for him as a head coach, but you may see him as a QB or OC again.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

it's pretty well known and acknowledged around the league. I won't reveal my source

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/reich-responds-to-rumblings-that-he-preferred-stroud-in-draft-process

"I've always said, I like C.J. Stroud a lot. I liked that whole quarterback draft. I think they were all really good prospects and I think they're all going to have really good NFL careers," Reich said. "My eyes and our eyes were on Bryce Young from start to finish. You look at the film, you talk to the man, you get a sense for the leader, the player, what he is and what he can be and how he fits into what we want to do, we got the guy for us."

To me it sounds like he is supporting the QB franchise took for anything else would be disrespecting QB.  It is not necessarily his opinion at draft time.

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Can you jog my memory on the game, because I remember being really impressed with how indy played and their plan

The seasons after though he was a total disaster 

It’s all summed up nicely here:  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/01/09/colts-vs-bills-frank-reichs-calls-help-bills-escape-wild-card-win/4134939001/

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Roundybout said:

He’s a great coordinator. Would love him on our staff. 

Carolina is such a pathetic franchise.

He made Carson Wentz look good in Philly, and Old man Rivers look good in Indy - Imagine what he could do with Josh Allen talent.

Edited by Nuncha
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Sounds like Frank Reich has had pretty much no recent success and there is no reason whatsoever to even consider bringing him back except for his connection to the Comeback game which has zero relevance in 2023.

Well, some recent success. But like all coaches, his fate rested on the quality of his quarterbacks.

- 2017: Colts go 4-12 (under Chuck Pagano) with Jacoby Brissett at QB

- 2018: Reich takes over, they go 10-6 and make the playoffs with Andrew Luck returning from injury

- 2019: Andrew Luck jumps ship, Reich goes 7-9 with Brissett again

- 2020: Colts bring in Rivers, Reich goes 11-5

- 2021: Rivers retires, they bring in Wentz, go 9-8

- 2022: elderly Matt Ryan is not elderly Philip Rivers; Reich fired

- 2023: rookie QB in Carolina, one win, fired

I'm not so sure this is anything different than McDermott.

- 2017: 9-7 with Tyrod

- 2018: 6-10 with rookie Josh

- 2019 -2022: no worse than 10-6 with peak Josh

The QB really is that important. Much more important than who's coaching. See Belichick, Bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.