Does Anyone Miss Daboll and Frazier?

hondo in seattle

Both Daboll and Frazier had their detractors.  It seemed most fans felt Dorsey would keep the machine rolling while Frazier's departure was largely celebrated.  

Yet the O and D performed better when those two were the coordinators.  Maybe they added more value than we give them credit for.  

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can give the defense a pass because of the injuries.  Frazier was bad. McDermott has been mostly good at calling the defense but he's just stinky garbage in the high pressure situations.  It's why he harps on execution so much, because when you hang the game on his decision making it crumbles. 

Daboll was obviously way more important to this organization than most want to admit.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Both Daboll and Frazier had their detractors.  It seemed most fans felt Dorsey would keep the machine rolling while Frazier's departure was largely celebrated.  

Yet the O and D performed better when those two were the coordinators.  Maybe they added more value than we give them credit for.  

I don't miss Frazier on Game Days. However, I do think he is missed in the building the other 6 days of the week. He was very well liked by the players and a very calming and steady influence behind the scenes from what I understand. Good at planning for the most part. 

He also, if still here would have lended the possibility of an in season termination of McDermott due to having past HC experience if the season continues to slide.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Daboll yes. While I wouldn't want Frazier back, that whole thing was overblown. It was McD's defense, it always has been. if he didn't like something, he could've changed it or fired Frazier years ago. 

I will never understand how people put no accountability whatsoever on McD for "Fraizer's D" when McD could've made a change for years. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Absolutely not. 

I want this entire Coaching Staff (and possibly FO) to get out. 

I don't miss Daboll. 

I want McDermott gone, and unlike Russ Brandon in 2013 - a real NO STONE UNTURNED search for a Head Coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll's offense wasn't much different over the last half of his final year as it is now, the D was better at bailing them out.  They kinda sucked, then got hot in the playoffs that made everyone forget that they sucked the last 8 games of the year and had that 9-6 loss in Jacksonville to boot.  Dorsey has the same issues over the 2nd half of the year last year and again this year but starting earlier.  Perhaps this Daboll based offense doesn't have enough "answers" built into it when teams start figuring out what to take away after the first part of the year.

IMO, McD bit off more than he could chew with trying to be DC and HC, especially since he has no defacto DC to help with preparation throughout the week with him just being a playcaller. Even Reid always has an OC to do most of the heavy lifting during the week and he calls plays on Sunday. That might be doable.  McD trying to do ALL of that on his own during the week is not. 

We see what happens...this reminds me of what happens in well run stores with a GM that ends up having to do the assistant's job for a month or two or three when they are out or doesn't have one, etc...things start snowballing where there isn't enough time in the day to do everything and little things start being overlooked, then as those start piling up, more and more things start being overlooked and before you know it, the store ends up in disarray. 

The lesson is: Being an NFL head coach is a freaking hard enough job as it is...being a playcaller is more difficult but manageable...trying to be the DC and HC is impossible.  It won't work.  This is what you get.  Lack of attention to details, stuff pawned off on other people that he needs to be responsible for, having his head down working so much that he loses sight of the bigger picture of what is going on with the team at large and where he needs to be to put smaller fires out before they become bigger fires and then smoldering infernos.  

This season could have been prevented by McD remaining as just the HC.  That is what pisses me off the most right now.  Him being DC seemed great in theory but it clearly doesn't work in practice.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Frazier, no,  Dabol, yes, I would like to miss McDermott but haven’t had the opportunity yet…,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not interested in Frazier.  I would love a McD clone for defensive coordinator.  I honesty think he is one of the best defensive minds in the game.  It's just apparent that he can't do both jobs (HC and DC) at an elite level.  I do think our defense is producing better this season that the same unit would with Frazier, but it's come at the detriment of the greater good.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't miss Frazier on Game Days. However, I do think he is missed in the building the other 6 days of the week. He was very well liked by the players and a very calming and steady influence behind the scenes from what I understand. Good at planning for the most part. 

He also, if still here would have lended the possibility of an in season termination of McDermott due to having past HC experience if the season continues to slide.

I very much agree with the bolded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I can give the defense a pass because of the injuries.  Frazier was bad. McDermott has been mostly good at calling the defense but he's just stinky garbage in the high pressure situations.  It's why he harps on execution so much, because when you hang the game on his decision making it crumbles. 

Daboll was obviously way more important to this organization than most want to admit.  

Seriously, I can't remember watching a NFL coach who was this terrible of a game day decision maker.  Bad playcalling, bad clock management, incomprehensible use of timeouts on D?  I thought he was supposed to be this disciplined genius but it looks like we got the low rent outsourced offshored non-union version instead

don't really miss either of them.  Frazier's D was worse than McDs D, and Daboll could not establish any sort of running game to save his life, yes, I liked the more up-tempo offense of Daboll, but you look at the Giants and it's not great over there.  

Daboll better than Dorsey.  Yes.  Good enough: no.  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Daboll's offense wasn't much different over the last half of his final year as it is now, the D was better at bailing them out.  They kinda sucked, then got hot in the playoffs that made everyone forget that they sucked the last 8 games of the year and had that 9-6 loss in Jacksonville to boot.  Dorsey has the same issues over the 2nd half of the year last year and again this year but starting earlier.  Perhaps this Daboll based offense doesn't have enough "answers" built into it when teams start figuring out what to take away after the first part of the year.

IMO, McD bit off more than he could chew with trying to be DC and HC, especially since he has no defacto DC to help with preparation throughout the week with him just being a playcaller. Even Reid always has an OC to do most of the heavy lifting during the week and he calls plays on Sunday. That might be doable.  McD trying to do ALL of that on his own during the week is not. 

We see what happens...this reminds me of what happens in well run stores with a GM that ends up having to do the assistant's job for a month or two or three when they are out or doesn't have one, etc...things start snowballing where there isn't enough time in the day to do everything and little things start being overlooked, then as those start piling up, more and more things start being overlooked and before you know it, the store ends up in disarray. 

The lesson is: Being an NFL head coach is a freaking hard enough job as it is...being a playcaller is more difficult but manageable...trying to be the DC and HC is impossible.  It won't work.  This is what you get.  Lack of attention to details, stuff pawned off on other people that he needs to be responsible for, having his head down working so much that he loses sight of the bigger picture of what is going on with the team at large and where he needs to be to put smaller fires out before they become bigger fires and then smoldering infernos.  

This season could have been prevented by McD remaining as just the HC.  That is what pisses me off the most right now.  Him being DC seemed great in theory but it clearly doesn't work in practice.

Wasn’t good in theory either👍

Frazier? Absolutely not. Daboll? I suppose so. He was able to get through to Josh Allen the best so far. But he had horrible games here too.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

don't really miss either of them.  Frazier's D was worse than McDs D, and Daboll could not establish any sort of running game to save his life, yes, I liked the more up-tempo offense of Daboll, but you look at the Giants and it's not great over there.  

Daboll better than Dorsey.  Yes.  Good enough: no.  

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Lost said:

I miss Daboll.   And while I would like to see less McBlitzy, I still don't want Lezlie Frazier's prevent defense every down back ever again.   There has to be a happy medium on D.

This exactly.  Daboll is an up and coming coach with a lot of experience who can still win in this league.  Frazier is a relic of a defense that doesnt work in this league anymore.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This defense was unreal until we lost 2 all-pros, 1 potential all pro, benford, and hyde (this week). 

I give the defense a pass due to injuries.. the offense is inexcusable. 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yes. They were both replaced by downgrades.

Daboll's offense running at it's peak coupled with this defense, although riddled with injuries, would have us in contention for the top spot in the AFC right now. 

We can all rail on the defense for coming up small in the biggest moments protecting a late lead, and that is very frustrating knowing that it is coming every time, but it is a lot easier playing defense when playing up 2 scores than down the entire game.  It changes the entire game if you can get up early, but this team can't get out of its own way for most of the game lately. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.