Is Von Miller toast?

Einstein

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I only remember seeing him once.  

On top of what you said, he's still going to cost us $24M against the cap next season if he's on the roster, $32M against the cap if he's cut.  Doubtful that we ever see much more than slightly above-average play from him henceforth, which makes that contract an albatross.  They'll keep him as they should, but it's costly.  Hopefully he'll be at least an average player that is capable of starting.  Then Knox's contract, another burden at this point.  

Not to split hairs but Knox’s cap hit this year is likely fair value. $6.4M. He gets heavy starting next year at $14.4M. We’ve pushed a few contracts too far down the road. In 2024 Von $23.8M, Dawkins is $15M, Diggs $28M. Allen $47M, White $16M, , Morse $11M.

It’s not a huge deal when guys are part of a long term plan. Allen will get restructured and extended. Taron Johnson has a $12M hit next year, we’ll likely see something similar with him. But it gets tough when guys aren’t part of long term plans or have a severe decline due to age or injury.

Dawkins, Von, and Knox are tough in 2024. I have some emotion around White. I feel bad for the guy. But $16M is tough too. 

Diggs is a weird. I don’t know if I would extend or restructure him right now. I think we are locked into $20m+ until 2028. We could cut or trade him in 2026 but that would still cost us $13M. As of now I don’t want to trade him. But I guess that could change in 3-4 years?

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Been saying it for 3 weeks now.  waste of an active roster spot.

How else do you think he is going to ramp up and get back to normal?  Could have said the same with Tre last year.  Or with any player the first 6-7 games back from an ACL outside AP.  

There is no other way.  Nobody has a magic wand unless you do and you haven't notified anyone.

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

He is 3 weeks post comeback and there is very little bend to his rush, much slower get-off (you can tell he is trying to jump the snap to get the edge), and I have yet to see him win a single match-up.

He simply looks bad.

Last time he came back from an ICL injury he was younger, but he had 9 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 TFL in his first 3 games back.

Do we feel Von is toast? His dead cap is $32.5M so he is not going anywhere.

you have the injury he had it takes 1.5 yrs to get back to 100%.

Any word yet on why only 6 snaps? Down from 20 and then 27 down to 6. Seems like a very odd ramp up...

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Yikes

Just saw this. Both the limp after the rush, but even in his rush you can see he down not have the same body movement. Very upright and not bending at all. Also that was the last drive of the 2nd half and was at least 3 of his 6 snaps. So even without that injury his snaps were way down. 

Edited by ngbills

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Not to split hairs but Knox’s cap hit this year is likely fair value. $6.4M. He gets heavy starting next year at $14.4M. We’ve pushed a few contracts too far down the road. In 2024 Von $23.8M, Dawkins is $15M, Diggs $28M. Allen $47M, White $16M, , Morse $11M.

It’s not a huge deal when guys are part of a long term plan. Allen will get restructured and extended. Taron Johnson has a $12M hit next year, we’ll likely see something similar with him. But it gets tough when guys aren’t part of long term plans or have a severe decline due to age or injury.

Dawkins, Von, and Knox are tough in 2024. I have some emotion around White. I feel bad for the guy. But $16M is tough too. 

Diggs is a weird. I don’t know if I would extend or restructure him right now. I think we are locked into $20m+ until 2028. We could cut or trade him in 2026 but that would still cost us $13M. As of now I don’t want to trade him. But I guess that could change in 3-4 years?

Spotrac could be wrong, IDK.  

Just plucked it off of there.  

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Any word yet on why only 6 snaps? Down from 20 and then 27 down to 6. Seems like a very odd ramp up...

Just saw this. Both the limp after the rush, but even in his rush you can see he down not have the same body movement. Very upright and not bending at all. Also that was the last drive of the 2nd half and was at least 3 of his 6 snaps. So even without that injury his snaps were way down. 

2 games in one week. They are bringing him along slowly. It’s the right approach. They need him in December/January. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is there a morals clause in his contract? What's the threshold for it to go into effect?

Every player falls under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. If the NFL suspends him before March 2024 his guarantees could be voided and he could be released. I really don't want to make light of a domestic violence situation, but it's possible the team may get bailed out of this horrific contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, QCity said:

Every player falls under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. If the NFL suspends him before March 2024 his guarantees could be voided and he could be released. I really don't want to make light of a domestic violence situation, but it's possible the team may get bailed out of this horrific contract.

Agree.  Horrible what happened to her, possibly very fortunate for BB. 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

Wonder if Terry has already made a call to Roger? 

Terry ~ "Hey, we would appreciate an expedited process here one way or the other."

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Excellent point. It's not like the NFL waits for a verdict to suspend players. Charges are often enough.

He might be done . I never loved his signing,  I liked it, not love  but he had his best game of 23 so far and if we can get him fully back, he'd be a huge spoke in the wheel, if he can't get back to what he was, it's one of the worst contracts in the NFL in last few years 

The same injury took Tre almost a full year of rehab then a full year of playing time to get back to his old self again so having Von get back to what he was just last year during this season is pretty much probably not going to happen this season given his age .

• Agree 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, Einstein said:

He is 3 weeks post comeback and there is very little bend to his rush, much slower get-off (you can tell he is trying to jump the snap to get the edge), and I have yet to see him win a single match-up.

He simply looks bad.

Last time he came back from an ICL injury he was younger, but he had 9 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 TFL in his first 3 games back.

He is older now and likely to be tested for peds if he comes back to quickly, I think as a food item, he is more like a potato, put a fork in it, he is done…, 😁👍

On 10/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, Dr Divit said:

Might go down as one of the worst signings in Bills history.  

Hey the should of thought about the injury risk for a 34 ur old end

i said that the day it happened.  A very un Bean like move, splash play, without almost any chance of being worth it.

He isn't  an O lineman or QB, where at that age you can still be elite, but an edge rusher who relied on speed and athleticism and yes, skill set, football smarts, but not very relevant without the physical traits.

Edited by Mister Defense

On 10/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, Einstein said:

He simply looks bad.

I think he his girlfriend now saying nothing happened could be the difference and save him from just being cut by the Bills.  Unless she sent to the hospital for serious injuries then no proof or video that anything happened. She could be charged for making false claims and receive just probation and a fine which still saves VON guaranteed money owed. I am sure Von and his lawyer told her how much money he would lose and to change there story 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think he his girlfriend now saying nothing happened could be the difference and save him from just being cut by the Bills.  Unless she sent to the hospital for serious injuries then no proof or video that anything happened. She could be charged for making false claims and receive just probation and a fine which still saves VON guaranteed money owed. I am sure Von and his lawyer told her how much money he would lose and to change there story 

There is evidence of domestic violence. It's all in the hands of the DA right now. The GF can talk until she's blue in the face and it doesn't matter. So the qestions are:

What will the DA do? Is he looking for headlines?

What and when will Goodell do? This could take months and months.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

i said that the day it happened.  A very un Bean like move, splash play, without almost any chance of being worth it.

He isn't  an O lineman or QB, where at that age you can still be elite, but an edge rusher who relied on speed and athleticism and yes, skill set, football smarts, but not very relevant without the physical traits.

the idea was we’d be all in as favorites for 2-3 years before paying the piper on him. Just dumb luck on the majors injury unfortunately. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Not that it’s saying much, but anyone else think Von looked at least a little more active out there today?  Maybe I’m just being optimistic, or maybe there were some glimmers of hope?

He was getting pressure on the last drive. He might be coming around. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Not that it’s saying much, but anyone else think Von looked at least a little more active out there today?  Maybe I’m just being optimistic, or maybe there were some glimmers of hope?

He recorded two pressures on

Mahomes in the fourth quarter that forced incompletions. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yes, in the 4th quarter I finally saw some burst from him. Maybe it was adrenaline or just the Chiefs but he almost got a sack on Pat before he released. Some encouraging signs. He was invisible in the 1st half.

1 minute ago, Shortchaz said:

He was getting pressure on the last drive. He might be coming around. 

He flashed several times today...likely the first time he played without the brace...would expect him to continue to get a little better each week moving forward...

Almost caused a fumble on Mahomes but it was overturned earlier when Johnson recovered it as n incomplete pass. Also forced I believe a throwaway from Mahomes when he was being double teamed on a rush upfield earlier in the game(first half) by the RB and RT and Mahomes was forced to step up and threw it away I believe.  Noticed him a few other times as well...

Definitely a positive step in the right direction for his play.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think this was the first game he was allowed to play without a brace on his knee.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

He recorded two pressures on

Mahomes in the fourth quarter that forced incompletions. 

One that was close to being a fumble that Taron Johnson would have recovered that was overturned on a quick booth review.

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think this was the first game he was allowed to play without a brace on his knee.

I noticed that.  

I watch his every snap when he's on the field.  He hasn't lost any burst or speed, he just didn't have any bend.

Looks like he was able to change levels a little better tonight.

His signature move is the ghost move....that shoulder dip and he hasn't even attempted that yet.  When I start seeing him do that, I will know he's 100% back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.