Is Von Miller toast?

Einstein

If you wanted Miller for his October impact you will obviously be disappointed. Be patient and let him return from a huge injury. I am happy to be patient and see what he can do for our stretch drive starting Thanksgiving and especially into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

In the post-game interview he said he was feeling pretty good.

Only problem with that is that the messaging does not even go close to matching the eye test.

Von is an eternal optimist. I guess that will happen when a team gives you an $120M contract at 33 years old. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The guy is 34 coming off major knee ligament reconstruction 10 months ago. I bet it takes 3-6 more weeks until he’s back to being Von Miller. 

Agree with this older people takes tome to heal. He wasn't ready to come back.  Hoping it's not father time. Like people hit this age. John Brown, Bealsey and such, remains to be seen. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Yes Von Miller is over the hill but contract wise the Buffalo Bills are most likely stuck with him for next season. Von Miller got his Super Bowl ring he is happy in Buffalo. I would keep an eye on is Stefon Diggs who doesn’t have a Super Bowl ring and is going to be 32 years old. 

Stef turns 30 next month? Or sorry do you mean when his contract ends? Regardless I think the way Stef plays he can contribute well into this 30s, I hope its with Buffalo but he'll have value elsewhere. I agree on Von, I don't know who's taking him anyway.

Edited by Nelius

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

He is 3 weeks post comeback and there is very little bend to his rush, much slower get-off (you can tell he is trying to jump the snap to get the edge), and I have yet to see him win a single match-up.

He simply looks bad.

Last time he came back from an ICL injury he was younger, but he had 9 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 TFL in his first 3 games back.

Do we feel Von is toast? His dead cap is $32.5M so he is not going anywhere.

have to see how the season goes, it takes awhile to get that explosiveness back after a knee injury.

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There was no pass rush today.

I “saw” Von out there a few times, but I didn’t notice one football play that he made.

Epenesa was pushed wide or past the pocket.

I didn’t notice Rousseau.

Floyd had one play where he came back to the ball (Jones) and knocked it loose. 

But for all we heard about the Patriots offensive line, they won the day pretty easily. 

Jones had to move off his spot one time in the first half. 

This is a product of no Oliver and no Jones

Having settle Phillips and poona Ford play allows offensive lines to now concentrate on the defensive ends 

I would imagine they look to move Rousseau inside more often if Oliver continues to be out

Yes.

He is a 34 year old pass rusher with two bad knees. I think he’ll flash a little bit here and there as we progress, but ultimately he’ll be meh. 

Best case is he gets through the year, skirts some NFL testing and takes some HGH in the offseason and we get an slightly better than OK year next year.

Otherwise we’re just sort of waiting to clear his cap number after 2024 for a low low price of $15M. 

• Agree 1

I (think) he can get back to 80% Von by the playoffs.  (Hope)

However, he’s unplayable right now.  

He needs the snaps, but we’re in a fight for our season right now and can’t afford to have a dude out there who just loops 20 feet around the QB every play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

No wonder why I didn't notice him! 

If he's THAT limited from the injury recovery, why are we wasting a roster spot on him? We should've left him on IR...

Yeah, I only remember seeing him once.  

On top of what you said, he's still going to cost us $24M against the cap next season if he's on the roster, $32M against the cap if he's cut.  Doubtful that we ever see much more than slightly above-average play from him henceforth, which makes that contract an albatross.  They'll keep him as they should, but it's costly.  Hopefully he'll be at least an average player that is capable of starting.  Then Knox's contract, another burden at this point.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I only remember seeing him once.  

On top of what you said, he's still going to cost us $24M against the cap next season if he's on the roster, $32M against the cap if he's cut.  Doubtful that we ever see much more than slightly above-average play from him henceforth, which makes that contract an albatross.  They'll keep him as they should, but it's costly.  Hopefully he'll be at least an average player that is capable of starting.  Then Knox's contract, another burden at this point.  

Exactly the same term I used... his contract is an albatross around the neck of Beane. We will see over the course of the next month whether or not Beane is going to make a move to blunt it or do little and we go gentle into that good night... it's put up or shut up time....

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Exactly the same term I used... his contract is an albatross around the neck of Beane. We will see over the course of the next month whether or not Beane is going to make a move to blunt it or do little and we go gentle into that good night... it's put up or shut up time....

It's interesting to watch this unfold.  

McD's starting to reasonably take some heat for the performance of his team.  This is the season that people on the fence regarding support for McD are going to get pushed off to one side or the other.  Right now, and barring some drastic unforeseen turnaround, they're ending up on the critical side.  

But once the wheels start coming off in that regard, the criticism of Beane won't be far behind.  

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If you cut him after June 1, 2024, there is a dead cap hit to be sure, but the cap savings will be $6,790,000. It was always my understanding that the deal was really a two year thing that the Bills could get out of after two years. https://overthecap.com/player/von-miller/2#:~:text=Von Miller signed a six,million roster bonus in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dr Divit said:

Might go down as one of the worst signings in Bills history.  

Hey the should of thought about the injury risk for a 34 ur old end

Yeah how could they NOT have foreseen an ACL tear on turf. 

Clearly should have seen that coming from a mile away. Totally a predictable and not at all random injury 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

If you cut him after June 1, 2024, there is a dead cap hit to be sure, but the cap savings will be $6,790,000. It was always my understanding that the deal was really a two year thing that the Bills could get out of after two years. https://overthecap.com/player/von-miller/2#:~:text=Von Miller signed a six,million roster bonus in 2023. 

The problem is that although the savings are acceptable, the dead cap hit is not. We cannot fiddle around any longer as our window is closing, and we cannot help our team in crucial positions without more flexibility to do so. If McD doesn't act to move mountains it may all be moot anyways...

19 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The problem is that although the savings are acceptable, the dead cap hit is not. We cannot fiddle around any longer as our window is closing, and we cannot help our team in crucial positions without more flexibility to do so. If McD doesn't act to move mountains it may all be moot anyways...

The thing is, a $6 million player who might be more productive than Miller will be next year will free up more cap space than keeping on the deadwood that Miller might become. So yeah, if the trade is for a decent player with promise while jettisoning a player who is done, it can certainly make financial sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.