Trades?

Cuboirs

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

When the Eagles lost Davis to a sprained ankle last year (I think around week 9) and immediately became a terrible run defense they brought in 2 DTs Suh and Joseph and shored up the D line.  

You HAVE to do something if you’re still a Super Bowl contender.   

At the very least it sends a message to the team “we aren’t done.” 

They signed free agents.  Which free agent DTs would you like to sign?  Suh?  Joseph?  Which LBs?  Which CBs?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Eventually you have to go all in. Von won't be a long-term answer for us. Tre White might never play again. It won't be that long before Diggs is over the hill and Allen is getting into his 30s. The mantra "keep building for the future" doesn't work when the future is now. Most of the other Super Bowl contenders in recent years made a mid-season trade to fill a hole. We now have several holes - WR2, CB, DT, WLB. From left to right those are positions where I would like to see us make a move. Just one is fine. If we stand pat how can we realistically compete with a team like the 49ers?

Barring major injuries, nobody is competing w the 49ers.   The Bills season ended today.  This was a Championship or bust season, all hopes went out the window with Milano and Jones down for the year and Dorsey still at PC for the year. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, BadboyBills said:

Surtain would fit under the cap with a little movement. Would take obviously a 1st, and mid rounder tho.

I'd try to use Elam in that trade and make the 1st a 2nd or 3rd plus another later pick.

Elam's skillset doesn't work in our D but it may in Denver 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did the game today get blacked out in Denver? 

1 game doesn't equal complete bust, plus all NFL coaches will always think their method is better.

He looked ok at times last year and even had a couple INTs. We just don't have time to wait for him to find himself.

Edited by thewookie1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

1 game doesn't equal complete bust, plus all NFL coaches will always think their method is better.

I actually think the guy has some ability based on what he showed last  year … 

Doubt he moves the needle much on a trade at the moment … they still giving up a first for Surtain and more 

45 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and the 49ers, one may recall, made the move for CMC that we should have.  

This is a great point.  To be fair they paid a steep price and there were real questions about CMC's durability but in hindsight that trade was a home run for the 49's.  CMC is the difference in that offense.

If Elam is a bust and we've already traded away Cody Ford & Bogie Bashum and not resigned Edmunds then maybe Bean/McD overvalue 1st & 2nd round picks.  That is what it will cost to get an impact player in a trade.  I just don't see us parting with higher end draft capital though it worked out great for Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Eventually you have to go all in. Von won't be a long-term answer for us. Tre White might never play again. It won't be that long before Diggs is over the hill and Allen is getting into his 30s. The mantra "keep building for the future" doesn't work when the future is now. Most of the other Super Bowl contenders in recent years made a mid-season trade to fill a hole. We now have several holes - WR2, CB, DT, WLB. From left to right those are positions where I would like to see us make a move. Just one is fine. If we stand pat how can we realistically compete with a team like the 49ers?

Im not saying you are wrong … but Beane tells us repeatedly he isn’t going “all in”

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

They signed free agents.  Which free agent DTs would you like to sign?  Suh?  Joseph?  Which LBs?  Which CBs?

I know - but they did something they didn’t rely just on in house depth.  

And we might need to do the same anyway.   

What about Akeim Hicks?  He still available?

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every year we talk about it and every year we do nothing important. I wouldn’t waste another minute, I’d call Denver tonight and say name your price for Surtain…we won’t do anything though and it’s a waste of a thread unfortunately 

Not necessarily true.

Beane went and got Benjamin for a playoff run. 

Last year he got Hines

So he has made some moves

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think you make a deal at the right moment. And that moment is in three weeks. See where the season is at 10/24-10/31.

This. Wait and see. Wait until deadline. If we lose 3-4 more players then what is the point. See if there is a chance for Daquan to come back later. See how Bernard and Williams play. See if Elam can get back on track. Evaluate, find the biggest weakness and if a trade is there, do it. Even for a first. Just don't do it now.

9 hours ago, mrags said:

I’d be more inclined to trade away guys and get as much as we can in an effort to trade up the entire draft to take Harrison Jr. 

The terrible thing is, we would do that and McD would keep him inactive for 4 weeks. 

Or Dorsey just use him as a distraction to force the ball to Diggs or knox.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Success said:

Maybe.  It depends on the following:

- Are Milano & Jones definitely gone for this season?  If either can make it back for the playoffs, stand pat at their position.

- How do the replacements do?  Williams might be alright.  I was excited when we signed Poona Ford.  Both will be a dropoff, but in a D like this, maybe not significant enough to warrant any other moves.

They could be ok with a less stellar defense but only if the offense plays the keep away game by eating chunks of game clock.  Then even a timely turnover by defense can make enough impact to get the bigger gap  in score letting our defenders tee off or play prevent as game is progressing can adjust to what's happening.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s too late man.

It's not too late the 49ers just traded for Gregory without the need .Traded for CmC without the need aswell ...The dolphins traded for Claypool without the need ...And we have needs and will likely do nothing

..that's how you build a winner...

Edited by Cuboirs
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, buffblue said:

He's not untouchable for sure

I'm not sure about that, I think a big part of his contract was Josh likes him. His production certainly didn't warrant the money he was given. Now they have the 2 TEs they always wanted and can't scheme any plays to the TEs. 

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Remind us all, how many SB wins has Beane gotten us?

This, id rather be the Rams who sold it all for a championship. They just blew they're money and now it's a moot point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

This. Wait and see. Wait until deadline. If we lose 3-4 more players then what is the point. See if there is a chance for Daquan to come back later. See how Bernard and Williams play. See if Elam can get back on track. Evaluate, find the biggest weakness and if a trade is there, do it. Even for a first. Just don't do it now.

Wait until some other team go to them with an offer and ***** him? 

3 hours ago, Cuboirs said:

It's not too late the 49ers just traded for Gregory without the need .Traded for CmC without the need aswell ...The dolphins traded for Claypool without the need ...And we have needs and will likely do nothing

..that's how you build a winner...

Actually I think the Finns do have a need. Not this year but when they are cap constrained and unable to resign Waddle who is an UFA after next year. 

14 hours ago, buffblue said:

He's not untouchable for sure

His contract is though.  

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If we make a trade, I hope it’s for an offensive weapon

Tired of devoting so many resources to this defense

Another WR would be a force multiplier beyond anything another LB, DT, or even CB could be.  It would also mean another competitive AFC team did not get that guy.  

At some point, the mindset of balancing offense with defense has to be jettisoned.  They've got some pass rush and sure there could be improvements on the back end, but finding a true complement to Diggs makes this offense a force and should be prioritized.  It also means Gabe can play the WR3 role an gives Kincaid more time develop.  

Beane has been pretty clear - he wants a long-term contender.

We have good depth at LB and CB, and good players stepping in for the injured guys.  To actually get better players in those positions would require some real capital, and compromise longer-term team building.

I could see us raiding a practice squad or 2 for better depth in case some of the replacements get hurt - but that's it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.