Trades?

Cuboirs

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I would be elated if the Bills traded for Patrick Surtain.   I think that would be a big boost to our secondary.

I just don't see the need, in our defense, for a massive trade like that at CB.  I think we need somebody like a Levi Wallace. Just give us a 3rd outside corner that's a solid player / scheme fit.

We don't have a ton of off-season needs on Offense, thankfully, but will likely be in the market for a WR2.  I'd love for that to be an option with our RD1 pick.  

On Defense, it's a very different story..  we're staring at 1 DT and 2 reliable EDGE under contract, with Milano & White coming off major injuries and two Safeties that will likely be replaced in the off-season.   

Beane is going to be cognizant of the future roster building ramifications when looking at the trade environment before the deadline.  

Surtain makes economic sense for us with this year and next on a rookie deal, so I could talk myself into say... our RD1 pick and Elam if they'd listen, but not any more than that... and even then, we're once again sacrificing potential help for Allen for the Defense, as Surtain would clearly be a foundational piece moving forward. 

The trade deadline is October 31st the Bills will get a chance to survey their roster the next 3 games before they make any moves. I do think that the Bills will bring in 1-2 lower mid-level to mid-level players for depth purposes. Similar to the Marlowe and Hines additions last deadline. But the Bills will take a look at the replacements they have on the roster in the next three weeks. 

If I were to take a look at what could be a deal I think DT is a position where depth could be brought in if Jones is out for the year. They will try to plug Poona Ford in but then if Ford goes down they need another option on the roster or if Ford is not performing well they will need to try to improve there. 

A cheap space-eating DT and maybe a depth LB/CB will make sense and fall in the Bills price range and fill needs. But anyone expecting a big WR/RT acquisition or a big-name LB/CB/DT is likely going to be disappointed. But if the Bills take care of business these next 2 weeks I think Beane makes 1-2 "smaller" moves to sure up the roster. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Trades?  With a little over 3 million in cap space, it would be bodies out and draft picks.  Not sure you want to do that but I am not the GM.  

Not exactly. The Bills have Daddy Warbucks for an owner. Redo a couple contracts to create room. They need a solution at CB as the likelihood of Tre returning to form post Achilles is slim. Surtain would be a worthwhile addition, not a rental. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not exactly. The Bills have Daddy Warbucks for an owner. Redo a couple contracts to create room. They need a solution at CB as the likelihood of Tre returning to form post Achilles is slim. Surtain would be a worthwhile addition, not a rental. 

Question from me is whose contracts are they going to rework?  They have gone and done it to several people and those big contracts are already tapped into.  Team history, recent, is they are reluctant to upset the future for the present.    

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I just don't see the need, in our defense, for a massive trade like that at CB.  I think we need somebody like a Levi Wallace. Just give us a 3rd outside corner that's a solid player / scheme fit.

We don't have a ton of off-season needs on Offense, thankfully, but will likely be in the market for a WR2.  I'd love for that to be an option with our RD1 pick.  

On Defense, it's a very different story..  we're staring at 1 DT and 2 reliable EDGE under contract, with Milano & White coming off major injuries and two Safeties that will likely be replaced in the off-season.   

Beane is going to be cognizant of the future roster building ramifications when looking at the trade environment before the deadline.  

Surtain makes economic sense for us with this year and next on a rookie deal, so I could talk myself into say... our RD1 pick and Elam if they'd listen, but not any more than that... and even then, we're once again sacrificing potential help for Allen for the Defense, as Surtain would clearly be a foundational piece moving forward. 

Pittsburgh is not getting rid of Levi Wallace.  He's one of their best corners.  On the other hand, Denver is building for the future and the rumblings are that no player is safe.  I think we have to look down the road beyond Tre.  I want him to come back from this injury, but I'm not sure he can come back at corner.  If we could replace him with a player like Surtain at CB, perhaps Tre can step into one of the Safety roles moving forward.

Just now, Nitro said:

Question from me is whose contracts are they going to rework?  They have gone and done it to several people and those big contracts are already tapped into.  Team history, recent, is they are reluctant to upset the future for the present.    

Don’t know which have and have not. Maybe there are none that could free up the 3 or million but I doubt it. There are some cap experts on this board from time to time. 

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Pittsburgh is not getting rid of Levi Wallace.  He's one of their best corners.  On the other hand, Denver is building for the future and the rumblings are that no player is safe.  I think we have to look down the road beyond Tre.  I want him to come back from this injury, but I'm not sure he can come back at corner.  If we could replace him with a player like Surtain at CB, perhaps Tre can step into one of the Safety roles moving forward.

Also, the Steelers just defeated BAL and are in the thick of their division race. They’d likely not be sellers. Teams with poor records and likely poorer as Halloween nears might be interested in moving players for draft picks. 

• Agree 1

Beane is traditionally reluctant to make in season trades involving draft assets. He likes to rely on in house depth to fill voids. This year with our offense looking dominant, he risks losing the locker room if he doesn’t bring in quality defensive players after losing 3 potential all pros. We can’t stand pat with Elam(healthy scratch for 4 games), a rookie MLB, who is talented but raw,  We mustn’t be misled by beating the G-Men, NE, they are tanking. 

14 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Tough to find a team willing to take on his contract for the production hes had on an elite offense.

It was a bad contract when they did it, and it's still bad today.  There was no reason to pay Knox the kind of money they did, his production nor film have ever matched it.  I blame that on the Bills, not Knox himself.  Knox is a good player imo.  But he is just that.  We could move on without him and use Kincaid but instead he has that over paid contract and will likely still be here.  I didn't like the Ed Oliver signing either, I think it was an over pay as well.  So far I believe he has proved me wrong on that and I hope that continues 

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

His contract is though.  

Another WR would be a force multiplier beyond anything another LB, DT, or even CB could be.  It would also mean another competitive AFC team did not get that guy.  

At some point, the mindset of balancing offense with defense has to be jettisoned.  They've got some pass rush and sure there could be improvements on the back end, but finding a true complement to Diggs makes this offense a force and should be prioritized.  It also means Gabe can play the WR3 role an gives Kincaid more time develop.  

I am shocked they have not brought in a capable WR2 not last year or this years. Sherfield is basically invisible and Harty has been a dud for the most part just as I suspected.  Gabe is Wr 3 quality and likely will be gone next year.  Diggs is getting up in age, where are our recievers?  2 years on a row our WR group has been less than impressive.  That makes no sense to me when you have Josh Allen as your QB

I'd offer 1st (24),  3rd(25),  Elam for Surtain.   They may at least be willing to talk. 

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I am shocked they have not brought in a capable WR2 not last year or this years. Sherfield is basically invisible and Harty has been a dud for the most part just as I suspected.  Gabe is Wr 3 quality and likely will be gone next year.  Diggs is getting up in age, where are our recievers?  2 years on a row our WR group has been less than impressive.  That makes no sense to me when you have Josh Allen as your QB

Harty has been solid and made important plays the last 2 games except for the botched PR 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I would be elated if the Bills traded for Patrick Surtain.   I think that would be a big boost to our secondary.

Of all the trade suggestions,  this one makes the most sense. Let Surtain and Dane be your guys until Benford returns.  Clearly we saw why Elam's days might be numbered.  And with the ACL/Achilles,  we have to consider Tre's career with the Bills over?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

Realistic trade options:

LB/S Shaq Thompson CAR - just redid his deal and I'd bet part of the discussion was finding him a good spot if the team tanked the season (which they have so far). Very similar style player to Milano.

CB Jaylon Johnson CHI - under the radar guy they will be a FA after this year. Talk of an extension with bears over the summer so they might be trying to keep him but it hasn't happened yet.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Of all the trade suggestions,  this one makes the most sense. Let Surtain and Dane be your guys until Benford returns.  Clearly we saw why Elam's days might be numbered.

Highly doubt that DEN trades Surtain. I also question whether this defensive scheme requires a CB making almost $30M/yr which is what it will take to sign him.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Success said:

Beane has been pretty clear - he wants a long-term contender.

We have good depth at LB and CB, and good players stepping in for the injured guys.  To actually get better players in those positions would require some real capital, and compromise longer-term team building.

I could see us raiding a practice squad or 2 for better depth in case some of the replacements get hurt - but that's it.

I understand that thinking I do, and I want to be good long term too but when you whiff on a guy like beane has in Elam so far when you really need help at that position, what good does that do you sometimes. We looked like maybe the best team in the conference vs miami until tre went down again. If we could get someone on either side of the ball that could really help us, this might be the time he has to pull the trigger. We don’t really have time to wait with a lot of this roster

2 hours ago, Success said:

Beane has been pretty clear - he wants a long-term contender.

We have good depth at LB and CB, and good players stepping in for the injured guys.  To actually get better players in those positions would require some real capital, and compromise longer-term team building.

I could see us raiding a practice squad or 2 for better depth in case some of the replacements get hurt - but that's it.

Is this about Beane keeping his job long term or winning a SB? 

2 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I understand that thinking I do, and I want to be good long term too but when you whiff on a guy like beane has in Elam so far when you really need help at that position, what good does that do you sometimes. We looked like maybe the best team in the conference vs miami until tre went down again. If we could get someone on either side of the ball that could really help us, this might be the time he has to pull the trigger. We don’t really have time to wait with a lot of this roster

I see that side of it also.  

I don't think we will make a trade - but nor would it surprise me.  I'm sure Beane is going through all of the options right now, and waiting to see where we stand on both Jones & Milano.  

17 hours ago, Cuboirs said:

So we obviously lost 2 great players now the question is will we stand pat or will we be aggressive and make moves to still have an opportunity to win...

Beane needs to bring in another big play maker,  your not replacing 3 top play makers with practice squad guys or street guys. After seeing all the busts picks Beanne has made like Cody Ford/ Basham and not it appears Elam he should just use a 1st & 3rd to get someone who can make plays or it will be tough to make a deep run.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

As well think Allen will take team friendly deals.  He certainly gets lot of press as Bills QB1.  He's making some nice pocket change in his endorsement deals he can make sure he reworks deals for his guys.  

On 10/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every year we talk about it and every year we do nothing important. I wouldn’t waste another minute, I’d call Denver tonight and say name your price for Surtain…we won’t do anything though and it’s a waste of a thread unfortunately 

The interception he made on Garrett Wilson was Tre White like

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Vikings are officially done with Jefferson on IR. How much would Harrison Phillips cost?

There’s a few teams that look “done”. Minny, Chicago, Arizona, Giants and Carolina. 

With the current defense situation what about trying to get one of these guys from these teams?

AZ:  Antonio Hamilton

CAR: Donte Jackson, Troy Hill, Shy Tuttle

CHI: Eddie Jackson*, Jaylon Johnson

NY: Darnay Holmes, Micah McFadden

MIN: Byron Murphy, Jordon Hicks, Harrison Phillips*

(* unlikely to be traded due to role)

Edited by BBFL

I hope we stand pat and don’t trade any 2024 assets. If we could get Calais Campbell for a 2025 7th rounder then awesome but I doubt it will happen.

This is rumored to be an unbelievably rich draft class and we should have a plethora of picks to make for the future of our team. Anything more than a 5th rounder for a rental player this year is not worth it unless this player is a guarantee for us winning the Super Bowl 

Here are the Bills picks right now for 2024:

1st round

2nd

3rd

3rd (compensatory)

4th

5th

6th (Houston)

6th

7th

20 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I hope we stand pat and don’t trade any 2024 assets. If we could get Calais Campbell for a 2025 7th rounder then awesome but I doubt it will happen.

This is rumored to be an unbelievably rich draft class and we should have a plethora of picks to make for the future of our team. Anything more than a 5th rounder for a rental player this year is not worth it unless this player is a guarantee for us winning the Super Bowl 

1st round

2nd

3rd

3rd (compensatory)

4th

5th

6th (Houston)

6th

7th

Because we have a plethora of picks it's a great yr to make a move that will get us the end goal.aif that peraon is available (like a Surtain)..I understand people want to keep building and building but if you can't finish the job what have you really built? Josh Allen is a generational talent you win while you have him.

10 minutes ago, Cuboirs said:

Because we have a plethora of picks it's a great yr to make a move that will get us the end goal.aif that peraon is available (like a Surtain)..I understand people want to keep building and building but if you can't finish the job what have you really built? Josh Allen is a generational talent you win while you have him.

Trade a 2025 pick then. No reason to handicap yourself in a loaded draft that can help our team stay a contender after aging players with loaded contracts move on from there time in the NFL. Can’t leave Josh alone on an island and expect him to carry the franchise. It’d be great to have it both ways and I trust Beane to make that kind of heady move to keep us in it now and in the future 

40 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

1st round

2nd

3rd

3rd (compensatory)

4th

5th

6th (Houston)

6th

7th

9 picks is a lot for this roster when there is a good chance a few of them will end up being cut anyway. I would definitely consider moving some of the later rounds picks to shore up depth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

1st round

2nd

3rd

3rd (compensatory)

4th

5th

6th (Houston)

6th

7th

I get it-- but how long are we doing this slow/smart build. Send it. Lets win one like the Rams did. Suffer the fall out later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Cuboirs said:

Also, are we really convinced on Beane choosing the right players during the draft? I'd rather get a known commodity than rely on Beane not choosing a Cody Ford or Boogie Basham. Kaiir Elam over Breece Hall. 

49 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Trade a 2025 pick then. No reason to handicap yourself in a loaded draft that can help our team stay a contender after aging players with loaded contracts move on from there time in the NFL. Can’t leave Josh alone on an island and expect him to carry the franchise. It’d be great to have it both ways and I trust Beane to make that kind of heady move to keep us in it now and in the future 

Boogie Basham, Cody Ford, Tremaine Edmunds, Zach Moss. All players drafted in first 3 rounds that's on other teams rosters

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

1st round

2nd

3rd

3rd (compensatory)

4th

5th

6th (Houston)

6th

7th

Would be tough. Have to be a decent pick for them to get rid of him as they’re still in the mix for that division, he signed with them this past off season and depth after him is pretty rough. Definitely would be a great addition to our team though as I think he can still produce this year and possibly the next of you retain his services. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, Cuboirs said:

So we obviously lost 2 great players now the question is will we stand pat or will we be aggressive and make moves to still have an opportunity to win...

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-the-bills-plan-to-move-forward-defensively-after-injury-plagued-london-game

With Milano's indefinite absence, the Bills will look to fourth-year LB Tyrel Dodson and rookie Dorian Williams to fill the gap the best they can. Buffalo will internally evaluate both players and then potentially explore outside options if needed.

"We'll start inside first and if need be we will go outside. But we will start inside first. That's what we always do," McDermott said.

As Buffalo regroups for their first primetime home game of the season (Sunday Night Football vs. the Giants), McDermott and the rest of the defensive staff will monitor the existing injuries and prepare their game plan with that in mind. The goal will be to incorporate the strengths of each player.

"I think you always have to be sensitive to the players that you have out there and what they do best and equip them to play at their best, right?," McDermott said. "So you need to be aware of it. I'm very confident in all those players and we'll see how the week unfolds."

On 10/8/2023 at 9:46 PM, HappyDays said:

Eventually you have to go all in. Von won't be a long-term answer for us. Tre White might never play again. It won't be that long before Diggs is over the hill and Allen is getting into his 30s. The mantra "keep building for the future" doesn't work when the future is now. Most of the other Super Bowl contenders in recent years made a mid-season trade to fill a hole. We now have several holes - WR2, CB, DT, WLB. From left to right those are positions where I would like to see us make a move. Just one is fine. If we stand pat how can we realistically compete with a team like the 49ers?

I agree with you.  But the question is: does Beane?

The second question is, who would be available, that is a true difference maker?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.