Bills vs Jags Postgame thread

SCBills

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Ok let's walk that out...

Showed up with a backup Elam starting who has been shelved way too much to have other players active. Elam could have had good garbage at least. He was rusty and lousy today. Who knows if playing time would actually help.

Did not have his team focused on prepared. The coach is partly responsible to bring the team to the game on time and ready to play. I don't think the problem was a late arrival.

He put Williams out there to start and he stunk. His evaluation of Williams was poor. His floor was well beyond that of Klein who has a limited ceiling but higher floor.

The schemes were not adapted. We kept rushing over and over on timed blitzes that touched Lawrence but pressure did nothing. He kept dropping dimes on our decimated DBs. And we kept seeing Hyde single coverage on Ridley? Mismatch heaven.

Early in the game he needs to be strategizing with Dorsey to what he is seeing as a head coach who knows defense...not focusing on letting Lawrence bend him over. 

The biggest coaching error was flying out on Friday. The Jags already had seven plus day advantage to adjust - why give them another three? Should have been given time to recover on Monday and flown out late Tuesday at the very worst.

Hate cliches but fail to prepare and prepare to fail.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Josh wasn't blameless. He wasn't dire - he's not about to be ripped to shreds like he was after the Jets - but he had issues.

He was pretty close to blameless imo…team failed him at every level on offense as they often do in games like this.  Offensive line was trash, receivers dropping balls all over the place.  Only blemish was under throwing that missile to diggs and even that was a heck of a job considering the circumstances 

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Allen actually had a pretty good day. Even if you take away the garbage time drive he has nearly 300 yards and a good completion percentage, and his pick was essentially an arm punt on third down. With the garbage time drive he had 375 total yards and 3 TDs.

This game was just cursed.

An arm punt that was an absolute missile that hit his receiver before the ball being promptly wrestled away 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Elam was a complete liability. We all saw exactly why he’s been a healthy scratch. 

Biggest takeaway for me outside of the injury plague.

Complete liability that completely altered the way the secondary was set up at crunch time. We saw “PS dudes” as was said in the GDT out there because Elam is such a bust. I hope to never see him out there again, give anybody else a chance 

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Back to earth for the Bills  More concerned with the injuries than today's uninspiring result.  

Yea it’s one game. The broadcast sucked, the refs were awful for both sides, the Bills had to travel for their “home” game while the Jags got used to the time zones. We unfurled a new CB tandem and then had big injuries to the first and second level of our defense. Led to bad TOP which along with the crazy officiating made it hard for the offense to get a rhythm.

Certainly things the Bills could have done better to pull out a win, but it’s just one funky loss. The injuries affect multiple games so I will hope for the best for Milano and Jones. 

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Hard to win when it’s 196 to 29 on the ground. 

Dorsey telegraphs his runs and running out of the gun is worthless.

This team should be heavily leaning on play action with Josh under center with mixing in the run.

They have to keep the defense guessing.

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Allen actually had a pretty good day. Even if you take away the garbage time drive he has nearly 300 yards and a good completion percentage, and his pick was essentially an arm punt on third down. With the garbage time drive he had 375 total yards and 3 TDs.

Dorsey gets shot gun drunk! It kills us we make so many great plays from under center then shotgun drunk draw for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Even on the interception,  Diggs had both hands on it.  In fact,  he caught it and the DB ripped it away from him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

If “jetlag” was such a huge advantage, that’s another hit against McD. Fly out there Monday. Get them adjusted. 

Agreed.  Still doesn't change the fact the Jags had more then a full week to acclimate.  It's just an unfair advantage, with an easy fix.  Do not let a team play two international games in a row.  Never said that was the only reason they lost, but you cannot deny it was most definitely a factor.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Anyone explain why we drafted Kincaid? I’m going to bang this drum every week. We don’t use him. 

I kinda hate that we paid Knox. I said at the time the contract could be a bargain if his usage improved but he can’t really be relied on for that so we’re kinda stuck with his stone hands and bloated contract.

Refs took the game over. Can’t imagine that’s what helps get more people interested in the game. 

That’s my only question. I get you want to show different formations but having paid Knox all that money for being a pass catching TE, why draft another?

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

The nfl didn’t choose our offensive plays 

If you don't understand the significance of one team being completely rested in a London game versus one team not I suggest you look at the stats when both teams are coming there to play versus their normal stats.

I told everyone this was coming and everyone ridiculed me as if my suggestions were completely preposterous.

The Bills are a historically great team, and that didn't change today. Look back at the '90s Bills. There were always games like this, and today's result had a lot more to do with circumstances and crap than it did the quality of the teams. Also, the injuries suck, but the season isn't over. Every team deals with major injuries at some point.

All that being said, yes, I will avoid mainstream football media all week because the narratives are going to be nauseating.

And, the expectations this year should probably be a Wild Card team, unless Miami gets similarly struck with injuries.

The Jaguars are not better than the Bills.

This game came down to a failure by the Bills offense. They were healthy and the unbelievably injured defense kept giving them opportunities, but they couldn't do anything against a Jacksonville defense that seemed to have their number -- again, I think that was one of the biggest factors going into this game. Belief is a huge thing in football that doesn't get talked about enough.

14 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Worst collective game as a team. Defense played admirably for being down who we were but had the chance to make multiple plays. 

Think every team should boycott their International games if both teams in the contest are not coming off a bye week. Especially if an opponent is there for 10+ days. 

D hung in as best they could.. half backups . The OL inability to run block was critical and they were bad. Officials were horrible.. when they want to call holding or pi they can. Seems Jax got zero of either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

Yea it’s one game. The broadcast sucked, the refs were awful for both sides, the Bills had to travel for their “home” game while the Jags got used to the time zones. We unfurled a new CB tandem and then had big injuries to the first and second level of our defense. Led to bad TOP which along with the crazy officiating made it hard for the offense to get a rhythm.

Certainly things the Bills could have done better to pull out a win, but it’s just one funky loss. The injuries affect multiple games so I will hope for the best for Milano and Jones. 

The refs were awful for both sides is a stretch 😂. Jags offense held the whole second half and I’m pretty sure they were called for it 0 times while we were called for it 4 or 5 times.

The only gripe I can see them having is the helmet to helmet on josh which was absolutely the right call it’s just a frustrating one to get called on you 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

McDermott preachers accountability. How does he allow a hitch and hitch with 22 seconds left? How does he not have a special teams coordinated enough to make sure to let that go into the end zone?

I know it's almost a goddamn campaign I'm having, but the guy is in over his head trying to be a head coach and a coordinator. He can't manage both being a head coach and calling the defense.

And trust me I know the offense was not without fault. But the head coach is supposed to be there on top of all of the aspects. And he is failing

Agreed. There were a lot of different factors that went into this loss, but almost all of them ultimately fall upon McD.

Bed decision/plan to travel so late in the week. Team playing sloppy, all those penalties. Special Teams a mess. Offense back to that frenetic energy.

And how many times are you going to watch them burn our blitz with Ridley before we stop calling it?

Biggest factor this week was Pederson v McD, and Pederson won every level.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The Bills never played in London and they faced a team that not only played in London many times but also played in London the previous week. The Bills were at a major disadvantage against a good team. The Bills kept it mostly a one score game despite many bad calls early. The Bills only got a call or two towards the end but the game was already behind them when they got the calls their way. 

The injuries are what concerns me long term. Hopefully Jones and Milano aren’t out long term. I think with Poona Ford and D Williams they can manage a few games without them but they need them back come late November.

My only complaint was the attempt to do a hook and ladder at the end. They should have taken a big “chunk” of 20 plus yards and spike the ball. They had enough time on the clock to do that. I would have loved to have seen a Hail Mary attempt from 70ish yards by Josh. 

Not that the Bills would have won but it would have been cool to see Josh attempt it.

• Agree 1

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

D hung in as best they could.. half backups . The OL inability to run block was critical and they were bad. Officials were horrible.. when they want to call holding or pi they can. Seems Jax got zero of either. 

I agree but they missed so many plays throughout the game. Make even half of them and we win that game. Way too many blown or failed coverages. For all the talk about not being a man to man team we certainly ran a lot of it. 

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Agreed.  Still doesn't change the fact the Jags had more then a full week to acclimate.  It's just an unfair advantage, with an easy fix.  Do not let a team play two international games in a row.  Never said that was the only reason they lost, but you cannot deny it was most definitely a factor.

Should give the Bills a bye in advance if the Jags get to hang out for 2 weeks. Complete bs by the NFL !!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Are Bills players still getting injured?

Wrap them all in bubble wrap before putting them on the plane!  The injury bug has been vicious to us this year.  I thought we were going to have invite lucky fans out of the stands for their chance to play in an NFL game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Process said:

Don't even care about the loss to be honest. Bills were at a huge disadvantage. 4 easy games coming up. 

Losing Milano and Jones is just devastating. No other way to put it. I'm sad.

There are no easy games.  Never underestimate the Bills ability to collapse against teams they should beat.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, juscoo said:

anytime someone tells you to calm down it's only one game early in the season, tell them to get back to you when they're playing a playoff game in arrowhead once again.

mcdermott isn't good enough, dorsey is just plain bad. this franchise is going to waste allen's entire career flipping the field with pansy ass punts.

McDermott managed to get that mangled injury ridden Bills defense to hold the Jacksonville offense off for a long ass time until they were just completely gassed when the offense didn't figure anything out until they had like 3 and a half minutes left.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

5 hours ago we were the greatest. Coaches were respected and defended. Anyone who said a critical word about buffalo was booed. And now here we're are. 

It's week to week, you look bad one week this team is awful, we look good one week it's superbowl baby!!!. Stay level headed and in the middle is my way of doing it. There are always negatives and positives every game but unfortunately not many here can see both. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Bills never played in London and they faced a team that not only played in London many times but also played in London the previous week. The Bills were at a major disadvantage against a good team. The Bills kept it mostly a one score game despite many bad calls early. The Bills only got a call or two towards the end but the game was already behind them when they got the calls their way. 

The injuries are what concerns me long term. Hopefully Jones and Milano aren’t out long term. I think with Poona Ford and D Williams they can manage a few games without them but they need them back come late November.

My only complaint was the attempt to do a hook and ladder at the end. They should have taken a big “chunk” of 20 plus yards and spike the ball. They had enough time on the clock to do that. I would have loved to have seen a Hail Mary attempt from 70ish yards by Josh. 

Not that the Bills would have won but it would have been cool to see Josh attempt it.

Dude. Again… They played in London before. Was at the game. Was brutal too… A loss to Jags also oddly enough playing the same way… Team did not show up until it was way too late. 

17 minutes ago, juscoo said:

anytime someone tells you to calm down it's only one game early in the season, tell them to get back to you when they're playing a playoff game in arrowhead once again.

mcdermott isn't good enough, dorsey is just plain bad. this franchise is going to waste allen's entire career flipping the field with pansy ass punts.

We were playing the Bengals at home last year and it didn't mean crap.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I told everyone this was coming and everyone ridiculed me as if my suggestions were completely preposterous.

Lol no no no no no. You were ridiculed for your weirdo plane crash commentary. Nice try, but no.

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Unforgiven said:

Ailing good teams always right their ship against the bills.  

It does seem that way.  Not sure if any stats back it up, but my brother and I always talk about this over the years how a struggling team "gets right" against us, regardless of our talent, record, etc.  I just don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills are a historically great team, and that didn't change today. Look back at the '90s Bills. There were always games like this, and today's result had a lot more to do with circumstances and crap than it did the quality of the teams. Also, the injuries suck, but the season isn't over. Every team deals with major injuries at some point.

All that being said, yes, I will avoid mainstream football media all week because the narratives are going to be nauseating.

And, the expectations this year should probably be a Wild Card team, unless Miami gets similarly struck with injuries.

The Jaguars are not better than the Bills.

This game came down to a failure by the Bills offense. They were healthy and the unbelievably injured defense kept giving them opportunities, but they couldn't do anything against a Jacksonville defense that seemed to have their number -- again, I think that was one of the biggest factors going into this game. Belief is a huge thing in football that doesn't get talked about enough.

100% with you about the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.