Bills vs Jags Postgame thread

SCBills

Can’t ever just be comfortable or happy as a Bills fan. Week 1 inexcusable loss, Last week great and then just have nothing in offense all day. Not to mention all the injuries. Just sane ***** every year. These losses add up. It’s never ok to lose and when we fall short again this year, these are the reasons why.

• Like (+1) 2

First, Buffalo needs to stop with the international games.  Second, the NFL needs to never again let a team play internationally two weeks in a row.  It was clear this favored the Jags, as the Bills did manage to eventually shake off the jetlag, just far too late into the game.  Third, it's clear the NFL wanted a close game, all but carrying the Jags early, then sliding the calls a little more the Bills' way once they were coming back.  Fourth, for all his big plays, Davis yet again had a terrible drop at a critical point in the game.  Fifth, not one word about the defense.  They were jet-lagged, they were decimated by injuries and they were on the field far, far too long.  Yet they still made big play after big play to keep the Bills in the game.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, jcamm1966 said:

WEl we got NYG Pats Bucs 3 winnable games 6 and 2 going into Bengals game

Today was winnable.

The Jets game was winnable.

If it isn’t going good for the Bills early in a game on offense they most likely will lose the game.

Well, hats off to AJ Epenesa with his best game. 

The offense didn't show up until garbage time, which is quite fitting.

No lame excuses about time zones,  jetlag,  other teams being in place for 2 weeks, or whatever other lame issue someone comes up with. 

Our offense got outplayed and we didn't deserve to win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Dear Dorsey, stop running out of the gun.

The RB is starting from a dead stop.

Why on earth are you getting away from running PA from under center?

Josh has like the highest completion % in the league from that.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Where's the sports science people at?

I'm sure the game would have had a different outcome in Buffalo.

Without a doubt. There was a lot more here than just "players didn't execute." We were at a massive disadvantage due to Jacksonville already having been there. Hopefully Terry has the balls to say we're not doing this again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Our skill position players lost us this game. -1 yards from Cook, drive killing drops from Cook, Knox, and Davis, Diggs let a 5'9 CB rip the ball out of his hands. Our offense is completely healthy, just not enough talent compared to other championship contenders. Another day where Josh had to try and win if all on his own but it's impossible to overcome that many mistakes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Everyone fails to realize something "No NFL team has played over in London as often as the Jaguars have. This second matchup in 2023 marks the 11th time that Jacksonville will participate in a game in the UK" There is a massive push for them. Also noted the Jaguar owner is of British/Indian descent.  

Defense played great all things considered. AJE had himself a great game as did Oliver.

Elam was a complete liability. We all saw exactly why he’s been a healthy scratch. 

Milano can have my leg. 

Dorsey was quite awful today. The constant draws to Cook for no yardage consistently throw us off. 

Gabe Davis with a critical drop to destroy a drive that led to a punt. Just can’t drop easy ones like that. 

Anyone explain why we drafted Kincaid? I’m going to bang this drum every week. We don’t use him. 

I kinda hate that we paid Knox. I said at the time the contract could be a bargain if his usage improved but he can’t really be relied on for that so we’re kinda stuck with his stone hands and bloated contract.

Refs took the game over. Can’t imagine that’s what helps get more people interested in the game. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Who cares the game was lost by then.  Looooong before then.  

Ok let's walk that out...

Showed up with a backup Elam starting who has been shelved way too much to have other players active. Elam could have had good garbage time at least. He was rusty and lousy today. Who knows if playing time would actually help.

Did not have his team focused on prepared. The coach is partly responsible to bring the team to the game on time and ready to play. I don't think the problem was a late arrival.

He put Williams out there to start and he stunk. His evaluation of Williams was poor. His floor was well beyond that of Klein who has a limited ceiling but higher floor.

The schemes were not adapted. We kept rushing over and over on timed blitzes that touched Lawrence but pressure did nothing. He kept dropping dimes on our decimated DBs. And we kept seeing Hyde single coverage on Ridley? Mismatch heaven.

Early in the game he needs to be strategizing with Dorsey to what he is seeing as a head coach who knows defense...not focusing on letting Lawrence bend him over. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Our skill position players lost us this game. -1 yards from Cook, drive killing drops from Cook, Knox, and Davis, Diggs let a 5'9 CB rip the ball out of his hands. Our offense is completely healthy, just not enough talent compared to other championship contenders. Another day where Josh had to try and win if all on his own but it's impossible to overcome that many mistakes.

Josh wasn't blameless. He wasn't dire - he's not about to be ripped to shreds like he was after the Jets - but he had issues.

• Agree 1

My thoughts:

1. If the NFL is going to have games in different continents, they should ensure both teams have the same opportunity for travel.  Today was absurd.

2. Absolutely deflating watching player after player go down on Defense.  Fingers crossed while we wait for updates.

3. Elam was consistently targeted and I think that we now know why he has been scratched the previous weeks.  

4. Despite our D being incredibly shorthanded, they really balled out for most of the game.  The repeated 3rd down conversions were back breakers.

5. I really think that the key point of this game was the Gabe Davis drop.  We were driving and could've potentially taken the lead on that drive.   Ifs, ands, and buts... i know.

6. The crowd did everything they could to give the team life.  It just wasn't our day.

7.  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Not a sports science person, but I played a (different) sport in Europe for 14 seasons, and remember each and every travel week to start the season, a few with games shortly after, and a few with some training time to settle in.

My thoughts on the travel: Thursday night is unbelievably hard, and if it was a choice by the Bills team, it was a bad choice (if enforced in any way by the NFL, than a tough scenario against a team that was settled in). You want to go as early as you can AND if not, you need to switch your internal clocks and schedules in Orchard Park AS SOON as the Dolphins game is over. That means putting your watch on London time and if that means a 5am walk through on Tuesday, do it.

So in summary two points:

1) Make your travel plans as early as allowed, period.  Don't put practice schedule or anything else ahead of that.

2) Before travel switch your schedule immediately and don't pretend you can do things on Buffalo time Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday without it impacting you later in the week.

I don't think the Bills/NFL did either of these things perfectly. If it is like a Thursday short week against a team coming off a bye...oh well, blame the schedule makers. But whatever part of this was on the Bills side, if they didn't maximize those two items and considered any third factor, bad on them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I am not going to blame this on the officials, because Buffalo played too poorly to justify deserving to win.  However, the officiating was atrocious today.  Between this, last Sundays Jets/Chiefs game and the call at the end of the Super Bowl, there needs to be some type of accountability on refs. It is now at a point where it is starting to ruin the watching experience and hurt the credibility of the NFL.

Too many people are speculating on whether the games are fixed.  Even if they are not, that is not what the NFL wants.   Regardless of whether or not that is true, we can all agree that there are too many subjective calls and flag happy refs. 

The example that stands out to me today the most was when Buffalo scored and mysteriously had to line up again.  Fortunately they scored again, and a replay showed a holding on Knox, but they way that it was handled with no announcement from the ref and the broadcasters having no idea what happened is a bad look.

It seems to be getting worse every year and I hope that Goodell starts to realize this. 

Edited by dgrochester55

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

First, Buffalo needs to stop with the international games.  Second, the NFL needs to never again let a team play internationally two weeks in a row.  It was clear this favored the Jags, as the Bills did manage to eventually shake off the jetlag, just far too late into the game.  Third, it's clear the NFL wanted a close game, all but carrying the Jags early, then sliding the calls a little more the Bills' way once they were coming back.  Fourth, for all his big plays, Davis yet again had a terrible drop at a critical point in the game.  Fifth, not one word about the defense.  They were jet-lagged, they were decimated by injuries and they were on the field far, far too long.  Yet they still made big play after big play to keep the Bills in the game.

If “jetlag” was such a huge advantage, that’s another hit against McD. Fly out there Monday. Get them adjusted. 

Can't sleepwalk on offense the entire day and expect to win. The defense battled to me at least all game, they ran out of gas towards the end and thats on the offense. For the life of me why they continue to force James Cook running the ball is maddening, I understand he can be explosive but today wasn't that day. 

• Agree 2

Allen actually had a pretty good day. Even if you take away the garbage time drive he has nearly 300 yards and a good completion percentage, and his pick was essentially an arm punt on third down. With the garbage time drive he had 375 total yards and 3 TDs.

This game was just cursed.

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

We ran 14 times for 29 yards. That was the difference-maker. James Cook: 5 carries, -4 yards.

With no running game, they did just enough to stop us on offense.

Jaguars ran for nearly 200.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.