Kyle Orton: Why doesn't he get a little ex-Bill love?

PromoTheRobot

He came to collect a paycheck as a backup and hoped to not play a down. He didn't sign up to play as much as he did. The second the season was over and he heard they wanted him to come back and start, he legit packed his bags and left without so much as a word to the press.

He was the best QB we had seen behind center here in years to that point, but that's not saying much. His heart wasn't in it when he was here. As evidenced by the slide and his departure. I give him credit for not pulling a Vontae Davis and saying "f this" midseason. But I wouldn't count him as some sort of beloved Bills legend. Like has been said, he played 14 games for us in a season that didn't really matter.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think he wants anything to do with football. I think he put all that behind him. We had to coax him out of retirement to come back and I believe he only did so for the money. The way he just bolted out of that locker room after the season basically said it all

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

He played like 14 games.  Also, 4th down slide against Denver with the playoffs on the line.  He gets as much love as he deserves.

That play, when he went down rather than take the hit, was the maddest I can remember being at a Bills play. Some guys make mistakes. Other guys just aren't physically capable. This,this was something else.

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Two words: The slide.

Edited by Chas56
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unfortunately he played in a very mediocre era for Bills football but he was okay as a QB. But we never see him at Bills games leading the charge or coming back for alumni events. Why is that?

For coming into the situation that he did he did a really good job for what he did & it wouldn't bother me if they brought him back but i think because he was only on the team for 1 season that may not happen .

He will always be a part of Bills history !! 

Edited by T master

Because he is one of the biggest kitty cats in bills history. He was in retirement mood that whole year. I’ll never forget his cowardly slides short of first down. 

I believe the great stat was the offense actually averaged more points (or it was basically even) in EJ starts than Orton ones.

if that coward is honored by the bills, I’ll break my no boo rule. Awful suggestion. No offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unfortunately he played in a very mediocre era for Bills football but he was okay as a QB. But we never see him at Bills games leading the charge or coming back for alumni events. Why is that?

If he led the charge he’d probably pull up a yard short. #### Kyle Orton. 

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He wasnt a Bill he was a mercenary.   The 4th down slide showed exactly how much he cared for the organization.  One last pay day before going home for good.

exactly precisely this

but to his credit, he never tried to hide it.  He was fully retired until the Bills came lookin.

That's why the slide doesnt bother me.  Orton be like "Uh, you did know I'm only here for the money, right?  I mean . . . right?"

And he actualy was a pretty decent quarterback.  Smart, and threw with anticipation.   And courageous before he retired the first time.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

He played like 14 games.  Also, 4th down slide against Denver with the playoffs on the line.  He gets as much love as he deserves.

I was at that game in Denver. We were so f’ing pissed at that move. Flew halfway across the country to see the kittiest play that ever kittied. F that guy. 

edit: The Denver Bills Backers did throw the best Saturday night pre-party I’ve ever been to. I’m still recovering from the hangover. That altitude, hoo boy….

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's simple. The Bills are 7-5 going to an away game against the 9-3 Broncos. Manning clearly looks like he lost something and the Bills have a chance. Bills are down 7-0 and it's 3th and 1. Orton dekes a defender and slides two yards short of scrimmage line. There is a good chance he could have made it to first down marker. It's obvious Orton made a business decision. Bills lose by 7 and miss the playoffs by a game. 

He did play well imo and the Bills didn't miss the playoffs simply because of that (losing to the Raiders was worse) but that play was so memorable. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because he is one of the biggest kitty cats in bills history. He was in retirement mood that whole year. I’ll never forget his cowardly slides short of first down. 

I believe the great stat was the offense actually averaged more points (or it was basically even) in EJ starts than Orton ones.

if that coward is honored by the bills, I’ll break my no boo rule. Awful suggestion. No offense.

JJ Watt unfortunately averaged 7 PPG when playing against EJ.

3 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's simple. The Bills are 7-5 going to an away game against the 9-3 Broncos. Manning clearly looks like he lost something and the Bills have a chance. Bills are down 7-0 and it's 3th and 1. Orton dekes a defender and slides two yards short of scrimmage line. There is a good chance he could have made it to first down marker. It's obvious Orton made a business decision. Bills lose by 7 and miss the playoffs by a game. 

He did play well imo and the Bills didn't miss the playoffs simply because of that (losing to the Raiders was worse) but that play was so memorable. 

We could’ve went for it on 4th and 1 lol

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Doug Marrone Era was such a strange time. 

The most inexplicable game of that era was the Raiders game. I think if we won it, we controlled our own destiny. We had that great defense that shut down a prime GB team.

and we just laid a complete egg. Sucks just thinking about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dma0034 said:

He lost 2 yards. It was 4th and 3

We still could’ve went for it.

I do find it somewhat amusing that Orton is hated for sliding and living to fight another down, and fast forward near 10 years later and we are all begging Allen to slide and not try run through linebackers. 

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.