On to the JAGS

TFBillsfan

42 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Whatever it turns out to be, with $50 million guaranteed, the opportunity cost was substantial.  We could have signed a Pro Bowl offensive lineman, for example.  

We could’ve signed Terror Armstead or Brandon Scherff.  No other pro bowl lineman.  No thanks on 30 year old injury prone Armstead that plays the same position as our best OLmen.  And no thanks on making a 30 year old guard the highest paid

ill take elite pass rushing, Super Bowl winning von all day every day.  Not even close to a debate imo

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

ill take elite pass rushing, Super Bowl winning von all day every day.  Not even close to a debate imo

I like the analogy of bringing Diggs into the Bills WR room, which coincided with an unmistakable elevation in the play of the rest of the room. They really did seem to dial it up a notch, as a group. More competitive and focused at the catch point, for example. 

While we didn't see that same coinciding uptick in pass rush effectiveness sustained following Von's injury last season, there's no doubt we saw it while he WAS on the field (and Rousseau et al were still fully healthy). We're definitely seeing the starting four performing at a HIGH level without Von out there so far in 2023, so can't wait to see the product once he's back in the rotation. 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Now let's pump the brakes on that "D that the Bills have struggled against in the past".

Bills lost to the Jags 6-9 in 2021.  At that time, Urban Meyer was the HC and Joe Cullen was the DC.  Cullen came to the Jags from the Ravens, where he was their DL coach under first Dean Pees then Wink Martindale.  But before that his coaching "roots" go back to .....Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier.

Currently, under Doug Pederson, we have Mike Caldwell as the DC.  Caldwell came from the Bucs, where he coached linebackers under Todd Bowles.  He came with Bowles from the Jets and before that the Cardinals.  But if you follow him back a bit further--- he coached for the Eagles under Andy Reid with Jim Johnson and Sean McDermott.

Anyway, the Jags now run a 3-4 base D while under Meyer/Cullen I believe it was a 4-3.  End Roy Robertson-Harris and LB Josh Allen are constants, and K'lavon Chaisson is still on the team.  Cisco and Jenkins are still the safeties, and there's some CBs who were starting who are now depth. 

Whether we'll have more or less trouble now, can't tell you - all I can tell you is 1) just because we had trouble 2 years ago doesn't mean trouble now, due to personnel changes, coaching changes scheme changes, etc 2) we better take them seriously, Or Else.  I think we wouldn't have had trouble in 2021 if we'd come into the game taking them more seriously, and if Daboll had a Plan B on tap other than to run empty sets and boatrace them with the passing game

I think maybe the main thing to keep in mind is our 0-line not only has a hearbeat but is playing fairly well.  

51 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Whatever it turns out to be, with $50 million guaranteed, the opportunity cost was substantial.  We could have signed a Pro Bowl offensive lineman, for example.  

We also may have won the Super Bowl last year if he didn't suffer that ACL injury.  Joe Burrow had enough time to read the bible in the pocket before the pass rush got there in that Divisional game.  It's not like he was a whiff of a signing before that as we arguably don't win the Ravens or Chiefs game without him in the lineup.  Just really unlucky.  Pickings were slim in free agency on the offensive line that year as well.

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's a trap game.

I bet McDermott right now is secretly thankful for the 2021 Jags loss. However much these guys are feeling themselves after an epic beatdown, he can show them that tape and humble them. No concerns in my mind that they are going to be unfocused in this one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, poo said:

I'm a be in Ithaca Sunday morning at an Airbnb. I doubt we'll have NFL Network to watch at the house. Anyone recommend a bills bar/restaurant we could attend in the Ithaca area? Kid friendly would be a huge plus. Thanks family!

I have not been but Uncle Joes Tavern was mentioned to me by some folks in Cortland when I was down there. 

• Like (+1) 1

How Bills OC Ken Dorsey is unlocking best parts of Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs

theathletic.com

GettyImages-1711982382-1024x683.jpg

1. Speaking of Dorsey, the way he’s incorporated the play-action passing game into the offense this season has helped this passing offense become one of the most efficient in the league through four games. Josh Allen has a 158.3 passer rating and is completing a league-high 81 percent of his passes when the Bills use play action. Last season, Allen was in the top five of passing attempts and EPA/dropback on play action, so it’s not a new thing that he excels in this area. But Dorsey said he and his staff put even more emphasis on finding different ways to lean on it heading into this season. He also said the way the team has been running the ball creates more opportunities in the play-action passing game.

6. In terms of expected points added, the Bills offense ranks No. 3 in the NFL and their defense ranks No. 4. They are the only team that ranks in the top four of both categories. They are also No. 3 in turnover margin, even after starting the season with a four-turnover game against the New York Jets. This Bills team isn’t much different than the one that was a Super Bowl front-runner a season ago. The balance and top-end talent are there if they can sustain this level play.

10. The Bills’ plan is to practice Thursday in Orchard Park before traveling Friday to England to practice there in the afternoon. This is a different approach than the one the Bills took last time they traveled to London in 2015, but it’s more in line with how teams have handled it in recent years. What’s interesting about this game is the Jacksonville Jaguars played in London last week and are staying over there this week. I’m not sure it’s much of an advantage, considering that’s a long time to spend away from home. Their body clocks will be better adjusted, but they’re also going to be eager to get back to Jacksonville. The Jaguars offense is in the bottom 10 in the league in EPA/play, but their defense ranks fifth in run defense EPA and ninth in passing defense EPA. This might be Allen’s best test since Week 1.

-------

NFL Week 5 Power Rankings: Buccaneers balling without Tom Brady; Texans climbing, Steelers fall seven spots

cbssports.com nfl power rankings

1. 49ERS There is no doubt who the best team in the league is right now. They do face a tough test Sunday night against the Cowboys.

3.  CHIEFS It wasn't easy against the Jets, but they found a way. The offense still isn't clicking yet the way we've come to expect. When is the big game from Patrick Mahomes coming?

BUF

4. BILLS They looked dominant in blowing out the Dolphins. The defense has really impressed so far this season, especially in terms of the pass rush. Josh Allen is playing like an MVP again.

23. BENGALS At 1-3, their season is hanging in the balance right now. The offense was non-existent against the Titans and now Tee Higgins is hurt, which won't help.

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Because of the "Trap Game Police" we're no longer allowed to use that terminology. If you want to convey that concept you have to refer to it as "a possible upset game."

If you want to expand on the concept you're allowed to say things like "the Bills could possibly let their guard down" or some such language

It’s really a very simple concept called “the better team usually wins.”  Are there upsets?  Of course, but history tells us it’s not because one team “overlooked” the other team or “let their guard down” because they were thinking about the following week’s opponent.

Amazing that people still can’t grasp this.

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s really a very simple concept called “the better team usually wins.”  Are there upsets?  Of course, but history tells us it’s not because one team “overlooked” the other team or “let their guard down” because they were thinking about the following week’s opponent.

Amazing that people still can’t grasp this.

eball, with all due respect, we've all seen plenty of NFL games where a favored team underestimated and lost to an inferior team. These games are often accompanied by postgame interviews by the losing team admitting as much.

In sports it does occasionally happen that the better team loses because they didn't take their opponent seriously enough.

Anyone who has followed sports has seen this.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

How Bills OC Ken Dorsey is unlocking best parts of Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs

theathletic.com

GettyImages-1711982382-1024x683.jpg

1. Speaking of Dorsey, the way he’s incorporated the play-action passing game into the offense this season has helped this passing offense become one of the most efficient in the league through four games. Josh Allen has a 158.3 passer rating and is completing a league-high 81 percent of his passes when the Bills use play action. Last season, Allen was in the top five of passing attempts and EPA/dropback on play action, so it’s not a new thing that he excels in this area. But Dorsey said he and his staff put even more emphasis on finding different ways to lean on it heading into this season. He also said the way the team has been running the ball creates more opportunities in the play-action passing game.

6. In terms of expected points added, the Bills offense ranks No. 3 in the NFL and their defense ranks No. 4. They are the only team that ranks in the top four of both categories. They are also No. 3 in turnover margin, even after starting the season with a four-turnover game against the New York Jets. This Bills team isn’t much different than the one that was a Super Bowl front-runner a season ago. The balance and top-end talent are there if they can sustain this level play.

10. The Bills’ plan is to practice Thursday in Orchard Park before traveling Friday to England to practice there in the afternoon. This is a different approach than the one the Bills took last time they traveled to London in 2015, but it’s more in line with how teams have handled it in recent years. What’s interesting about this game is the Jacksonville Jaguars played in London last week and are staying over there this week. I’m not sure it’s much of an advantage, considering that’s a long time to spend away from home. Their body clocks will be better adjusted, but they’re also going to be eager to get back to Jacksonville. The Jaguars offense is in the bottom 10 in the league in EPA/play, but their defense ranks fifth in run defense EPA and ninth in passing defense EPA. This might be Allen’s best test since Week 1.

-------

NFL Week 5 Power Rankings: Buccaneers balling without Tom Brady; Texans climbing, Steelers fall seven spots

cbssports.com nfl power rankings

1. 49ERS There is no doubt who the best team in the league is right now. They do face a tough test Sunday night against the Cowboys.

3.  CHIEFS It wasn't easy against the Jets, but they found a way. The offense still isn't clicking yet the way we've come to expect. When is the big game from Patrick Mahomes coming?

BUF

4. BILLS They looked dominant in blowing out the Dolphins. The defense has really impressed so far this season, especially in terms of the pass rush. Josh Allen is playing like an MVP again.

23. BENGALS At 1-3, their season is hanging in the balance right now. The offense was non-existent against the Titans and now Tee Higgins is hurt, which won't help.

Give me a break with the Chiefs. I'd say we have them literally 20/22 better players on their roster. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Give me a break with the Chiefs. I'd say we have them literally 20/22 better players on their roster. 

The Bills are going to smash the Chiefs when they play them.  The Bills have eclipsed the Chiefs in talent by a long shot, and Josh has surpassed Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I agree. it goes to show different takes on the same team(s) from different sources. it's what we have seen the last 3 weeks, a bills team running like a well oiled machine. much to be played out yet, early but no one can deny they are on the right track while teams like the bengals (injury is part of the game, who steps up?) are falling off the rails and other then kelce and swift, not too much talk about with the chiefs. early though. rankings are obviously week to week but early on you see the teams playing at a high level. 

NFL Power Rankings, Week 5: 49ers reclaim No. 1 spot; Seahawks, Buccaneers crack top 10

nfl.com nfl power rankings week-5

1. San Francisco 49ers 4-0  

2. Kansas City Chiefs 3-1  

Patrick Mahomes had one of the stranger outings of his career in a 23-20 victory over the Jets, perhaps switching bodies with Zach Wilson for the middle part of the Sunday night tilt. I didn’t expect Mahomes to go full Mamba and unleash the legs quite that much, but that’s what he does on off nights. And it’s a big part of what makes him the best.

Pat can beat you -- on the road, in the fourth quarter -- with his fourth-best pitch. Kansas City’s defense was humbled a bit after a really strong start to the season, but all told, the Chiefs survived a scare in prime time. Now three wins removed from the Kickoff Game loss to the Lions, the Chiefs are getting their mojo back -- while acquiring a whole new legion of fans. 

BUF

3.  Buffalo Bills 3-1  :excl:

The Bills turned an early shootout against the Dolphins into a boat race. The four-touchdown margin of victory was yet another reminder that when the Bills are on, they are as tough to stop as anyone out there.

When the defense faltered early, the offense picked up the slack -- to the point where it wasn’t clear whether Josh Allen or Tua Tagovailoa operated the most explosive group. By the end of the statement victory over Miami, it was fair to say Buffalo's defense had turned in an excellent effort.

That’s how good teams are built, knowing the heavy lifting won’t always be evenly split.

That Week 1 loss to the Jets suddenly feels like a distant memory, and over the next seven weeks, the Bills face one team that currently owns a winning record (Tampa Bay in Week 8). Could this team be 10-1 when it visits Philadelphia in Week 12?

6. Miami Dolphins  3-1

8. Baltimore Ravens  3-1

Don’t forget these guys. With a 3-1 record that includes two big divisional road wins, the Ravens are in great shape again following the shocking home loss to Indianapolis. The Ravens weren’t about to let another backup QB beat them, with the Roquan Smith-led defense taking the wheel against the Deshaun Watson-less Browns.

That unit allowed 166 yards on 65 plays, made 10 tackles for losses and forced three turnovers, absolutely stifling a Cleveland team that was supposed to have the league's best defense itself.

My eyes see a Bills team on a Mission!!

elwood-and-jake-were-on-a-mission-from-g

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

They wanted to build to beat Mahomes. They wanted a pass rusher that could get there.  It was a good signing.  Just unfortunate his season got ended.

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Tomorrow’s practice report will be extremely interesting.  If Von looks great, he may talk Beane and Sean into letting him play in London

Our pass rush has 13 sacks and a multitude of hurries in the last two games, I think McD will be glad to have Von, but think he may be very deliberate using him after Tre's injury. 

In our next 7 games, Jax is .500, TB is 3-1, everyone else we play is 1-3. 

I would be thrilled is Von played a few series starting in a couple of weeks, but he is needed for the Philly, KC, Dallas games in weeks 12, 14, 15.

Edited by BearNorth

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The Bills are going to smash the Chiefs when they play them.  The Bills have eclipsed the Chiefs in talent by a long shot, and Josh has surpassed Mahomes.

Not yet. Have to win the Super Bowl first. As of now Mahomes is the top QB in the NFL.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, chongli said:

I don't understand why opposing teams haven't figured out that you have to take Diggs out of the game, even if it means single coverage on all the other receivers or rushing just four players. Same with KC and Kelce. By doing so, you're trading a sure way to lose for a probable way to lose. The talent level between Diggs and the JAGs, including the TEs, is, well, very different. If he's not checking down, Allen has to work a lot harder to get the ball to the non-Diggs receivers. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

eball, with all due respect, we've all seen plenty of NFL games where a favored team underestimated and lost to an inferior team. These games are often accompanied by postgame interviews by the losing team admitting as much.

In sports it does occasionally happen that the better team loses because they didn't take their opponent seriously enough.

Anyone who has followed sports has seen this.

With respect to the NFL I disagree.  The “overlooking an opponent” stuff doesn’t happen in professional sports.  Teams lose focus and have “bad games” for all sorts of reasons, but the bottom line is that — at least in professional sports — there is really no such thing as a “trap game.”  The players on both sides know that the line between very good and very bad is razor thin, and if they don’t respect their opponents they will get their asses kicked.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know the Bills are traveling Thursday which is what most teams do and they will try to adjust to the time difference.  When I travel for work, I try and stay on East coast time which is what many teams do when they travel coast to coast within the states, I am curious why they dont try to do that for ondon.  THe game is at 9:30Am EST which is not an unreasonable time to play a game for someone who lives on the east coast, sure you have to get up a little early that day....it is not uncommon to have practice that early during TC......

Here is what I would consider.  Travel Saturday early...say leave at 8AM-ish EST and arrive in London at around 2-3PM EST....get to the hotel, get a walkthrough in , go to bed close to your normal EST which will be very early for London, close the blinds in the hotel and just pretend you are at home.  Wake up, do the game, get to the airport and go home....no special play in London  (do that on your own time in the offseason).....just treat it like any other away game.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, eball said:

With respect to the NFL I disagree.  The “overlooking an opponent” stuff doesn’t happen in professional sports.  Teams lose focus and have “bad games” for all sorts of reasons, but the bottom line is that — at least in professional sports — there is really no such thing as a “trap game.”  The players on both sides know that the line between very good and very bad is razor thin, and if they don’t respect their opponents they will get their asses kicked.

Yep. The other team only has to be better that day. That’s why the better team doesn’t always win. The Miami game was huge and an emotional win for sure. Still, I don’t think the Bills will let down. That loss to the Jags a couple years ago hasn’t been forgotten. 

19 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I know the Bills are traveling Thursday which is what most teams do and they will try to adjust to the time difference.  When I travel for work, I try and stay on East coast time which is what many teams do when they travel coast to coast within the states, I am curious why they dont try to do that for ondon.  THe game is at 9:30Am EST which is not an unreasonable time to play a game for someone who lives on the east coast, sure you have to get up a little early that day....it is not uncommon to have practice that early during TC......

Here is what I would consider.  Travel Saturday early...say leave at 8AM-ish EST and arrive in London at around 2-3PM EST....get to the hotel, get a walkthrough in , go to bed close to your normal EST which will be very early for London, close the blinds in the hotel and just pretend you are at home.  Wake up, do the game, get to the airport and go home....no special play in London  (do that on your own time in the offseason).....just treat it like any other away game.

I thought I heard that they are practicing here on Thurs and then traveling on Friday.

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The friggin Jags.

Feels like its been DECADES of dealing with this crap team and getting burnt way too many times.

Time to exorcise those demons and dominate. Hoping to see the same Bills team from the last 3 weeks and not the one that somehow always plays down to the Jags.

Want to see a big day out of OUR Josh Allen, and not hear about THEIR Josh Allen for once.

We have played them 18 times and the record is dead even at 9-9. We have scored 374 points against them. They have scored 369. We have had hard time against them for whatever reason. Even when they have sucked

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Now they have to prove it when it matters! Until then it’s just words.

I am not comfortable after 4 games with the Bills now considered the Elite team in the AFC,  prohibitive favorites in most games, powerhouse, unstoppable, best defense in McDermott's era, etc..  So now they are going to have to go wire to wire as the AFC favorites with the bullseye on their backs to make the Super Bowl.  I'd rather be playing well, winning a couple close games along the way, then playing their best football come December.  But here we are.   Jacksonville is just dangerous enough to cause problems. I hope not, but the Bills will have the dreaded bodyclock disadvantage as the Jags will be in London for 10+ days already.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

55 minutes ago, finn said:

I don't understand why opposing teams haven't figured out that you have to take Diggs out of the game, even if it means single coverage on all the other receivers or rushing just four players. Same with KC and Kelce. By doing so, you're trading a sure way to lose for a probable way to lose. The talent level between Diggs and the JAGs, including the TEs, is, well, very different. If he's not checking down, Allen has to work a lot harder to get the ball to the non-Diggs receivers. 

Sometimes they do, Allen just gets the ball out to someone else pretty quickly and they get 8-10 yards.  When Diggs gets motioned it's very hard for him to truly get doubled or bumped at the line...it takes away a lot of the effectiveness of that due to him having a 2 way go on those plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

Well hey, if they don't want to, don't encourage them

1 hour ago, finn said:

Both diggs/Allen and mahomes/Kelce have such a great rapport that the receivers can improvise based on the coverage and the qbs will still know exactly where they’re gonna be.

Kelce feels like he does a ton of damage finding weak spots in zone coverage.

playing man against either of these teams gets tough too because they’ve got a lot of pretty good receivers and the qb can take off running 

diggs is such a good route runner too that he’s hard to double even.  True double coverage really isn’t that successful against great wrs…I think I saw some tweet last year that diggs was open like 60% of the time anyway against double coverage 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2023 at 8:09 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's a trap game.  They always play us tough and we are coming off a high.  This is an evolutionary step,we need to beat a team we should beat coming off a game like the fins.

Others have gone into the "trap game" thing. 

What I'm curious about is your "they always play us tough" thing.  Can you go into that a little bit?

I mean, just above this post is a tweet showing a film clip of EJ Manuel throwing to Easley in 2015 "The Buffalo Bills always bring the big plays".

There is so much water under the bridge since that play 8 years ago.   Is there even anyone who was part of the Bills then, still in the building?  Maybe someone lower down on the S&C staff or the scouting, or severing food or something?

I looked, and there are actually 3 players who were on the Bills roster that game who are still in football - not on the Bills, but still playing.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

What I'm curious about is your "they always play us tough" thing.  Can you go into that a little bit?

without thinking or backing it up i agree they always play us tough. since Boselli had his 1 career game against Bruce (which was really the springboard to his honestly average career) to the loss a few years ago in Jacksonville where we were flat

image.thumb.png.99b8b86417f4c18eb06273468f473056.png

We have scored 344 vs 329 historically.

3 of the last 4 games have been games within 3 pts of each other.

• Like (+1) 1

I firmly do not believe in trap games. 

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

they do and they have. Bills are 1-2 (JA 1-1) in the last 3 meetings. how could anyone forget that barn burner  in '21 with JA in JA's head? or the wildcard loss? JA's only win came on 11/21/18

the series is tied at 9-9

The Bills / Jaguars rivalry has been played 18 times (including 2 postseason games), with the Buffalo Bills winning 9 games and the Jacksonville Jaguars winning 9 games

footballdb.com

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

without thinking or backing it up i agree they always play us tough. since Boselli had his 1 career game against Bruce (which was really the springboard to his honestly average career) to the loss a few years ago in Jacksonville where we were flat

a

We have scored 344 vs 329 historically.

3 of the last 4 games have been games within 3 pts of each other.

I guess my point is - what does "historically", 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, have to do with the teams that are playing today?

Even for a currently great team - I seem to recall that during the Pittsburgh Steelers superbowl run back in the 1970s one of the team leaders said "better take those rings off, boys, and put them on a shelf - they won't help you this season"

We've played the Jags a whole 3x under McDermott (your chart is missing the playoff loss under Marrone).  3 times in 7 years, once during his first year when just scraping into the playoffs felt like a huge accomplishment.  Twice during the regular season: one pretty solid 24-21 win Allen's rookie year where the Bills were never behind, and one totally embarrassing loss two years ago.

During that time, the Jags have had 4 different HC and 3 different starting QB (maybe more, depending on how you count). 

History doesn't seem too relevant in a game with the turnover that NFL football has.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

We have played them 18 times and the record is dead even at 9-9. We have scored 374 points against them. They have scored 369. We have had hard time against them for whatever reason. Even when they have sucked

But for a lot of those games the Bills sucked too.