On to the JAGS

TFBillsfan

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This brings up a question other than the Frazier one...  Did we need to spend $120 million on Von when we can pressure the QB without him?

I love Von.  But I'd love a top-five OL, too.  $120MM could have bought a lot of beefy bodyguards for Josh.

Respectfully, Von adds a level of leadership and experience (2 rings) you should not underestimate.  He has worked with the young guys and help them get better.  Plus he is freak on the field and will make the D even better.  Worth the cost!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottishBills said:

Bills by 10, and Josh should be legally obligated to throw at least five BOMBS, never mind playing inside structure, dial those launch codes big man!! 🤣

💣?!  SNP?! 😳 Leave your UK Bastage politics out of Yanks football! 🤨

• Dislike 2

33 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

We know the yr is long. With D, any of 11+ guys go down and Vonn helps. LB DB DL. Vonn will help the rush which helps all levels. He’s great and he will help us down the stretch—not a doubt. And, oh yeah, great attitude too ;)

Vonn isnt too hard on the eyes either. 

image.thumb.jpeg.caf9ed527b1c76f0d4d1b54689a1bcf2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

At the time, I thought it was a great signing in the sense that it addressed a notable need.  

But I did wonder if it was the wisest way to spend $120 million.  

The number to pay attention to is the guaranteed dollars of $51.435m, $45m of which he was already paid at signing. He won’t come close to seeing the entire $120m, so what we actually did pay him for addressing that notable need is a bargain, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

I heard on the CBS fantasy podcast Ridley is terrible vs Man coverage.

Defenses have been doing that with him since week 1 and it isn’t a new thing.  

Which of course isn’t our thing.  

Taron should negate Kirk in the slot.  

One thing offenses haven’t done with us is target their TEs more.  The Jets were a joke.  The Raiders don’t have one.  Logan Thomas was out.  And Miami doesn’t have anyone worth a dam. 

So I expect Engram to be a big part of their game plan.   

This is going to be an interesting chess game between McD and Pederson.  

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The friggin Jags.

Feels like its been DECADES of dealing with this crap team and getting the burnt way too many times.

Time to exorcise those demons and dominate. Hoping to see the same Bills team from the last 3 weeks and not the one that somehow always plays down to the Jags.

Want to see a big day out of OUR Josh Allen, and not hear about THEIR Josh Allen for once.

Still wouldn't mind seeing THEIR Josh Allen on OUR team next year, if the Jaguars choose not to re-sign him.

Unless we keep Leonard Floyd.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Still wouldn't mind seeing THEIR Josh Allen on OUR team next year, if the Jaguars choose not to re-sign him.

Unless we keep Leonard Floyd.

Maybe if Jags Josh Allen was having a down year he may be in the Bills price range. But after his 12.5 sack rookie year he struggled the next 3 seasons but is now having a breakout with 6 sacks in 4 games. Assuming he stays healthy and keeps up a decent production pace he will be commanding a big salary that is not in the budget for a cap-strapped Bills. 

10 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Great win by our Bills over the Dolphins. Now the focus shifts to the Jags who have weapons on offense and a D that the have Bills struggled against in the past.

Hopefully outside of Tre, everyone is healthy. Even though Von is back practicing I don’t expect he will active on game day for a few more weeks. Why rush it if we don’t need him right now.

Hoping the Bills D makes Trevor uncomfortable with pressure and shuts down their running game. Offensively, keep doing what you’ve been doing, play smart, physical and protect the ball. 

Lets not give Jax any hope and get out of England with a W.

I have a feeling this will be a close game.  I also expect the Bills to come out a bit flat this week.  Hopefully the Bills can get the W…I do believe they are the better team 

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

From what I've heard this week, the Jags are at a bit of a disadvantage because they are staying in England. And that is another week away from their own beds, away from their families, away from their routines, away from the state of the art training and medical facilities they normally go to. Kind of a miserable (make the best of it) type of experience for them.

I guess that players with school age kids and wives/significant others have to leave them behind, but I’m pretty sure that players with wives and girlfriends (with no kids) pay for their travel to London so they don’t have to endure a 2-week separation. I would be shocked if the Jags organization told their players (and staff) that they couldn’t see their partners for the two weeks that they’re over there. They certainly couldn’t restrict any private citizen (wives/SOs) from traveling to London, and I don’t think that they could lock players up/restrict their movements during their free time during their 2 weeks over there.

And I’m sure that the beds they’re sleeping in are quite comfortable, and of course the food is likely top notch, as is probably everything else. Some of y’all in here are acting like the Jags are locked up in a Gulag, in solitary confinement, sleeping on wooden beds. LOL Teams who play in the Super Bowl do the same thing for about 8-10 days, don’t they?

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You fly to Europe overnight so you can sleep on the plane, then when you land during the day you go right into it, have a regular day and then get to bed at the new normal time. Makes for a quicker adjustment.

Take off at midnight for a 6 hour flight. Get 6 hours of sleep like a night's sleep. Land at 6am old time/Noon new time. Have a normal day then get to sleep.

LOTS of people cannot get regular sleep, or any sleep, on an airplane. I’m one of those people. Of course, an airplane seat is nowhere near as comfortable as a bed.

Edited by Bob Jones
Words
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Charter flights are listed?

That's very interesting because I could see an argument for both ways.

Flightaware and flightradar24 are the two I usually use and can find the flights. Occasionally military flights show up. But about anything with a transponder shows up. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

At the time, I thought it was a great signing in the sense that it addressed a notable need.  

But I did wonder if it was the wisest way to spend $120 million.  

We didn’t spend 120M

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Most people don’t love 2 wk work trips. company pays all. The people that envy work trips of weeks, haven’t done them. 

So you're comparing the average Joe businessman who may go on MANY road trips away from home, to NFL players who are doing this FOR THE FIRST TIME, and likely, the ONLY TIME (highly doubt they will make the same team do it again anytime soon). OK. 🙄 

And btw, I personally have done many 2-week road trips over the years, and there are many variables which determine whether the trip is enjoyable or not. As I said in another post in this thread, it's definitely more likely to be enjoyable if you have your wife/SO with you, and I'm quite certain that most of the Jags have their SOs with them.

• Eyeroll 1

I'm still concerned about the time difference.  Game at 9:30 eastern, so relative to their "normal" eastern time they are accustomed to they probably need to be up by sometime around 4 or 4:30 am.  Way different than a normal game day in Buffalo.  They may be pretty used to trips out west where they are playing at 4 pm eastern time, but needing to get up really early relative to your normal time is a LOT harder than playing out west where you don't deal with any of that.  Hoping for the best, but worried.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Process said:

Von confirmed out this week. 

I mean he was pretty honest about it, he only gets the one padded practice before the game because of the shortened week, so it's going to be tough. But if he's already going to be back in pads it's not completely out there for him to be able to be back.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Just a joke (if von says it, it's not happening)

On a serious note though. Very hard to imagine him playing with just one practice. 

Yeah I agree. I don’t think he’ll play. 

I'm a be in Ithaca Sunday morning at an Airbnb. I doubt we'll have NFL Network to watch at the house. Anyone recommend a bills bar/restaurant we could attend in the Ithaca area? Kid friendly would be a huge plus. Thanks family!

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I guess that players with school age kids and wives/significant others have to leave them behind, but I’m pretty sure that players with wives and girlfriends (with no kids) pay for their travel to London so they don’t have to endure a 2-week separation. I would be shocked if the Jags organization told their players (and staff) that they couldn’t see their partners for the two weeks that they’re over there. They certainly couldn’t restrict any private citizen (wives/SOs) from traveling to London, and I don’t think that they could lock players up/restrict their movements during their free time during their 2 weeks over there.

And I’m sure that the beds they’re sleeping in are quite comfortable, and of course the food is likely top notch, as is probably everything else. Some of y’all in here are acting like the Jags are locked up in a Gulag, in solitary confinement, sleeping on wooden beds. LOL Teams who play in the Super Bowl do the same thing for about 8-10 days, don’t they?

Some players might have SOs fly out, but I dont think they stay with the team in the team hotel. They might get some time, but time is usually pretty limited as it is at home. Not sure it's even worth it.

Certainly no Gulag. But it isnt the same and isnt as good. And all that gets real old, real fast.

With the Super Bowl, the entire first week is pretty much a vacation, outside of media days.

Point is, by the time we get to the Jags, plenty of them will be over it.

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

LOTS of people cannot get regular sleep, or any sleep, on an airplane. I’m one of those people. Of course, an airplane seat is nowhere near as comfortable as a bed.

To your point that they travel in style, the international flights they'll charter are stacked with those sleeper bed seats. And for those that can't sleep, I'm sure the staff doctor can help out. 😎

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Flightaware and flightradar24 are the two I usually use and can find the flights. Occasionally military flights show up. But about anything with a transponder shows up. 

Now I'm thinking you're also a Ham or shortwave radio operator. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Just spitballing it...I would have thought they'd go over Sunday night or first thing Monday morning. More time to adjust for tme difference. Maybe they had no place to set up shop and practice Tues-Sat?

I think you need to balance adjustment to time difference, with maintaining the normal post-game recovery and "get right" routine.  It's probably not the greatest idea to fill up a plane with a bunch of bruised and dinged players and let them stiffen.  Better to do the normal recovery routine at home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Just spitballing it...I would have thought they'd go over Sunday night or first thing Monday morning. More time to adjust for tme difference. Maybe they had no place to set up shop and practice Tues-Sat?

They could have started adjusting their times to wake up or go to bed on Monday.  They don't need to be in England to do that.

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

In recent years, most teams have traveled Thursday, taking the ‘just deal with it’ attitude’ -like playing Thursday night..

For sports that travel internationally regularly that’s what the data has suggested. At least two weeks or just keep the momentum rolling. 

Quick glimpse into the Jags at the quarter turn compared to the rest of the NFL. Opponents listed below, to add your own grain of salt:

Games: Colts (W), Chiefs (L), Texans (L), Falcons (W)

Offense:

PPG (20th)

Pass/Run Ratio (58/42) 18th

Completion % (12th)

Passing yards (11th)

Yards/Completion (21st)

Yards/Carry (26th)

Defense: 

Scoring (12th)

Yards (17th)

Sack % ( 22nd)

Op. y/completion (24th)

Op. y/rush (12th)

Thoughts: I admittedly haven’t watched much of the Jags this year, aside from highlights and reading stats. From what I know about their roster and these statistics, along with the narratives that have been spoken about this team up until this point in the season, we are hands down the better team. 

Last Sunday saw both units operating at maximum efficiency. That won’t always be the reality. Although you may need games like that in January, I don’t feel like this is one of them. 

I think McD is smart enough to recognize that this game can be handled with fundamental football, lining up and playing soundly. We don’t need anything splash or special on either side of the ball. Just do you job, and I feel this will be a comfortable win.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think you need to balance adjustment to time difference, with maintaining the normal post-game recovery and "get right" routine.  It's probably not the greatest idea to fill up a plane with a bunch of bruised and dinged players and let them stiffen.  Better to do the normal recovery routine at home.

I think they should send Diggs there early so Josh and him can work on some deeper routes.