Stopping the Miami Offense (and Tua the wizard) - Lets hear the ideas.

Chaos

I love basketball and appreciate that the best point guard doesn't have to score any points.  So far in three games, its hard to argue with T"ua the points guard's" results.  So the question is how should it be stopped.  

So far three professional NFL DC's did not have the answer.  I am sure I don't.  But I will start with a question/proposition:

I keep hearing how Tua is getting rid of the ball so quickly, that no pass rush can be effective.  If I assume that to be true, then why pass rush with more than 3 and just play 100% Dime.  The last thing Tua wants to do is run so we don't need to worry about that.  Seems like this might force Tua to wait for plays to develop, which is not what he seems to thrive.  Make Tua beat us deep. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

The same we we have. 

pressure with front 4

play your assignments 

make your tackles

have the LBer eat the midfield passing lanes 

Hit Tua 

outscore them 

disguise the defense (they have been played straight up for 3 weeks Tua can easily see the field). 

when a team played games (chargers) he struggled. 

score TDs every time we have the ball. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

First things first. Aggressively stop the run. They moved the ball at times VERY well against us last year and their run game looks to have improved. Stop that and make them one dimensional.

Second, mix in some 3 safety looks, but don't sit in that exclusively. Pressure will have problems getting home...so coach up all week for the DL to get their hands up. Bat some balls down. 

Bump WRs off the line. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

First things first. Aggressively stop the run. They moved the ball at times VERY well against us last year and their run game looks to have improved. Stop that and make them one dimensional.

Second, mix in some 3 safety looks, but don't sit in that exclusively. Pressure will have problems getting home...so coach up all week for the DL to get their hands up. Bat some balls down. 

Bump WRs off the line. 

Start Elam 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The same we we have. 

pressure with front 4

play your assignments 

make your tackles

Hit Tua 

outscore them 

disguise the defense (they have been played straight up for 3 weeks Tua can easily see the field). 

The last line is the most important,  we must score tds. A 4 man rush should do the trick.  Expect alot of motion with Tyreek.  Have Milano & Bernard clog the middle. Don't forget about Mostert/Achane.  And finally if you get the chance to sack Tua, do it with conviction. 

• Like (+1) 2

McDaniel is a disciple of Kyle Shannahan  which means his passing game is essentially paint by numbers.

Stopping them really involves pressure in the middle which is where Ed Oliver and Daquan Jones need to have solid games.

You must run a base defense and change and make adjustments at the snap. You must confuse Tua as he will throw the ball to the other team. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s a ton of misdirection pre snap. 
But the key is the running backs in the flat and stopping the run. Then all you gotta do is clog the deep middle and not let waddle or hill run deep crossers all day long against you ( I know I made it sound like it’s easy 😂
Pats gave the blue print but they couldn’t stop Mostert gashing em. 
I’m not sure Buffalo can stop them or shut them down, everyone has to be so disciplined pre snap. The defense definitely needs to bring their A game and hit Tua when possible and try to disrupt his timing. Huge game for both teams 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The last line is the most important,  we must score tds. A 4 man rush should do the trick.  Expect alot of motion with Tyreek.  Have Milano & Bernard clog the middle. Don't forget about Mostert/Achane.  And finally if you get the chance to sack Tua, do it with conviction. 

Yes Key is TACKLE. They have to make their tackles otherwise a missed tackle can and will likely lead to a house call. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

October snow storm.

LOL!  Even then… that Saturday Night game against the Dolphins last season, they got theirs against our D.

Although, to be fair, we didn’t have Micah Hyde, Leonard Floyd, hell or TB43 for that game.  Plus, White was still pretty tentative out there.

Well, they've played two mediocre teams (Chargers and Patriots) and one poor team (Broncos).

They've been impressive offensively, but let's not crown them the champs yet. They literally did this last year and couldn't sustain it.

• Agree 2

Just don’t let them take big plays to the house. No 30+ yard TDs running or passing. Force them to go the full length of the field and try to hold them to FGs. Their speed isn’t as effective once the field is compressed in the red zone. Tackling and not overcommitting is going to be super important. Discipline!

Then on the flip side we need TDs and not FGs. Should be a good one. I’m going to watch the snow game highlights from last year to get hyped.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I love basketball and appreciate that the best point guard doesn't have to score any points.  So far in three games, its hard to argue with T"ua the points guard's" results.  So the question is how should it be stopped.  

So far three professional NFL DC's did not have the answer.  I am sure I don't.  But I will start with a question/proposition:

I keep hearing how Tua is getting rid of the ball so quickly, that no pass rush can be effective.  If I assume that to be true, then why pass rush with more than 3 and just play 100% Dime.  The last thing Tua wants to do is run so we don't need to worry about that.  Seems like this might force Tua to wait for plays to develop, which is not what he seems to thrive.  Make Tua beat us deep. 

That’s what NE did they didn’t send many and played deep and made them earn it by driving down the field.. the Dolphins scored 17 in the first half but the second half they were not patient and allowed the Pats to almost come back and beat them. Final was 24-20… I think the Bills can score more than 20 points in Miami D. 

• Like (+1) 2

I would like to see Elam play, he is by far the most athletic corner and the Fins have two of the fastest WR in the league and they should try to put Elam out there as he did fairly well last season against the Fins.

Scheme wise who the ***** knows but I think they would try to get pressure with the front 4 and go two deep zone.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The same we we have. 

pressure with front 4

play your assignments 

make your tackles

Hit Tua 

outscore them 

And have Josh and offense milk the clock as much as possible. Heck even if Diggs l or Davis is wide lower take the short 10 yd 1st down that's a gimme as well.  Once we have a comfortable lead you play keep away as much as you can as the very best defense against a potent offense.  Bills fans of the 90s know this fact.  Giants were the inferior offensive team and they just left kelly and co. No time to do their thing.  

Oh and bench Josh at somewhere like the 15 min mark if 4th quarter.  Gives him the chance to watch and study how teams are playing us so his lack of film study isn't as big a detriment going forward.  Benching him the past 2 games seems to have secured the wins.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, they've played two mediocre teams (Chargers and Patriots) and one poor team (Broncos).

They've been impressive offensively, but let's not crown them the champs yet. They literally did this last year and couldn't sustain it.

The Broncos weren't a poor team.  They were horrendous.  They quit before half time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Miami showed alot of their playbook agenst the broncos.....

I'm thinking we should be helping Tua practice his art of falling so he masters it to avoid any future scrambling of his brain.  I want him to see all th Bills dline and delayed blitzes as caring supportive nfl brethern.  If that means he starts seeing ghosts well maybe he needs to have a long discussion with his family if its worth the punishment.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.