Serious topic: it’s time to trade for DJ Moore

FireChans

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Topic. Title.

So DJ Moore and picks went for the #1 pick to the Bears this off-season. That accelerated a lot of his dead money onto the Panthers. The Bears wanted a good WR to save Justin Fields and themselves, and that did not work. They can clear space now, and prepare for Caleb Williams 2024.

I’d trade our first this year for DJ straight up. Gabe is perfect as a WR3 but DJ has skills to last, especially if/when Diggs gets old. This is the move to win us a Super Bowl now.

I agree ,  Davis is not a #2.  Good receiver but more of a #3 receiver

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Every receiver has drops. It was silly. “He dropped a pass just now so he’s bad” is an embarrassing post. I won’t be engaging with you further if that’s the best you can offer. 

Wow. Just plucking whatever words out of the sky just to make yourself feel better?  All i said was he dropped a perfectly placed pass. You got soo butt hurt you start making things up. Take a breath. 

• Vomit 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Topic. Title.

So DJ Moore and picks went for the #1 pick to the Bears this off-season. That accelerated a lot of his dead money onto the Panthers. The Bears wanted a good WR to save Justin Fields and themselves, and that did not work. They can clear space now, and prepare for Caleb Williams 2024.

I’d trade our first this year for DJ straight up. Gabe is perfect as a WR3 but DJ has skills to last, especially if/when Diggs gets old. This is the move to win us a Super Bowl now.

Why do people not get this?

He's too expensive. We don't have the cap space. It's not impossible. But it's punitive for the future.

You're right that anyone who picks him up will not have to deal with the signing bonus, making him cheaper. But not cheap.

He'd be $19.965M x (14/17) this year

Then $15.8M next 

And $14.85 the year after.

Not counting workout and roster bonuses, which aren't much, but do add a bit.

Not to mention the 1st rounder.

Chances are probably non-zero, but not by much.

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree ,  Davis is not a #2.  Good receiver but more of a #3 receiver

That's ridiculous, seriously. He's absolutely a #2.

You're not a #3 when you're 30th in the league in yards despite being 41st in targets, when you're tied for 12th in TDs, and you accomplish all that with an injury that greatly decreases your ability in a large chunk of the season.

It simply is not so.

Fair enough he's not one of the best #2s. He's not. But he is a #2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd be up for trading for Moore. But he isn't worth a 1st to me. He is a good receiver but not a true #1. 

Would Chicago sell for a 2nd having given up what they gave up?? 

I think he is already pretty close to done with it there though. So maybe he could force the issue. 

Haven't looked at the cap considerations.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be up for trading for Moore. But he isn't worth a 1st to me. He is a good receiver but not a true #1. 

I think he is already pretty close to done with it there though. So maybe he could force the issue. 

I was a Fields hopeful purely for Chicago to actually return to some decency. There’s no way they get rid of Moore. Whomever they end up having under center next year or the remainder of this year will need a competent W/O outside of Kmet. It’s time they move on from Fields and at worst, Moore helps them move around the board in April if they do indeed intend on not having him in their building. 

Edited by BBFL

I like DJ Moore, but he is not worth a 1st and as bad as things are in Chicago I'm not sure they're ready to deal him after being a centerpiece of their trade back just a few months ago. That would be pretty bad optics for a regime that is already under heavy fire.

If he could be had for a 2nd, I'd think about it. For a 3rd (highly unlikely) I would absolutely do it. 

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Topic. Title.

They traded for him this offseason and he's had 3 games with the team. In what scenario does a team give up what they gave up for Moore and then trade the player after 3 games?

It wouldn't happen. That GM would look like a crazy person. Even if there were a WR like Moore available, I don't see any way Beane is giving up a 1st Round Pick for them with the amount of Free Agents we have after this season and the amount of money we have (or rather don't have). We're going to need that pick.

I would love the move and would give up a 1st for him.  He's about the same age when we gave up a 1st and 4th for Diggs  It would make sense both short term and long term.  The Bills immediately get a top five WR1A and WR1B combo.  It would also give us a premier #1 when we decide to move on from Diggs and in an ideal world would draft a capable #2.  Not sure if the Bears would play ball though.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's too expensive. We don't have the cap space. It's not impossible. But it's punitive for the future.

You're right that anyone who picks him up will not have to deal with the signing bonus, making him cheaper. But not cheap.

Then $15.8M next 

You're not a #3 when you're 30th in the league in yards despite being 41st in targets, when you're tied for 12th in TDs, and you accomplish all that with an injury that greatly decreases your ability in a large chunk of the season.

It simply is not so.

I do not agree,  I agree Moore is too expensive and not worth the cost 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, mannc said:

He’s worth at most a second or third. He was an afterthought in the trade back with Carolina.

Not even close to an afterthought.  He was the main part of the puzzle they expected to help Fields improve.  Problem is, Fields sucks too bad.  

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I've seen enough of Harty and Sheffield. It's time to let Shakir play the slot. He has that feel of Beasely 2.0.  Josh trusts him.  It's time he gets more reps.  These other two have done nothing.  

Sherfield Sr. Has produced when on the field though... Harty not at all so far.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You are trading a first that would likely be pick #28 or later. Chicago would never sell him for pick #60.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Then $15.8M next 

It simply is not so.

And if you rework his contract, you bring his numbers down by giving him more guarantees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know if DJ Moore is the answer, but I wouldn't be opposed to a WR trade at some point.  

Gabe Davis keeps flirting with getting to a point where I trust him as a WR2 and then drops a pass or runs a lazy route.  I just don't know if he'll ever get there.

It also seems like our list of draft needs may be not so dire...

Even if Morse is a cap casualty after the season, we have Ryan Bates who can step in at Center.  The other 4 positions, even Spencer Brown at RT, look good.. and we have developmental depth that the staff is high on both on the IOL and at swing tackle. 

At the skill positions, we could potentially lose Davis, Sherfield, Harris and Murray, so WR and RB look to be draft needs.. and I think the time to take a developmental QB may be there.

On Defense, LB looks set with Milano, Bernard and Williams.  CB can be set if we are content with White, Benford, Elam, Johnson and Neal.  DL and Safety will likely need investment.. and could be where the bulk of our picks go, outside of WR, RB and QB.  

If we can make a move for a WR2 should Gabe not make a jump by the deadline, I wouldn't be opposed.  We have a lot of draft capital, and potential needs like MLB and RT don't look to be needs any longer (although I would still keep investing on the OL).  

Bears GM Ryan Poles spent over $130M on the 1st day of free agency and then traded for Moore's ~$50M left on his contract. Certainly not all-in, but a clear signal they were planning on making big strides this season.

I don't think he has the clout to tell ownership "Hey let's cut bait and sell-off 2 months into the season, give me another shot next year." His job wouldn't survive it - he's tied to these players and has to find a way to make it work. Good luck.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, QCity said:

Bears GM Ryan Poles spent over $130M on the 1st day of free agency and then traded for Moore's ~$50M left on his contract. Certainly not all-in, but a clear signal they were planning on making big strides this season.

I don't think he has the clout to tell ownership "Hey let's cut bait and sell-off 2 months into the season, give me another shot next year." His job wouldn't survive it - he's tied to these players and has to find a way to make it work. Good luck.

Plus the whole front office is under fire for not doing enough to help their young QB.  Zero chance they’re going to turn around and trade their only real weapon outside of Fields.  Just not a smart idea.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, he's a really good number 2 receiver, but not a true #1.  I don't think you trade a first for a guy like that, although he is only 26.  I don't know if the Bears trade him for the Bills' 2, which is likely to be a late 2nd.  The Bears are going to be absolutely loaded going into this draft.  They have their 1 and Carolina's, both of which could be top three.  Given the historic nature of this upcoming QB draft, they'll take their guy with the first of their first round picks and trade the other for a huge haul, so I'm not sure a late second from Buffalo moves the needle very much for them...

• Like (+1) 1

Davis is good enough with a fast developing Kincaid, Sherfield (who will be great in the slot) and Hardy in the McKenzie role(jet sweeps and gadget guy). I think Shakir is unfortunately too far down the depth chart to really generate the trust to get touches,but in the event one of our receivers is not available, he gets open and can produce.  We don’t need a guy who the Bears overpaid for and must get a lot for to look competent for their fan base. 

17 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Not there yet. 

let’s get through next two. Then decide. I am not sure I need a Moore at this point.

i would like to see more of Sheffield in the pure slot running with Diggs and Davis more at this point though.

Agreed on all points.

17 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I've seen enough of Harty and Sheffield. It's time to let Shakir play the slot. He has that feel of Beasely 2.0.  Josh trusts him.  It's time he gets more reps.  These other two have done nothing.  

Shakir made only two catches but they were both crucial catches one a TD the other a key third down. He should get more snaps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.