Christian Kirksey is retiring

Dablitzkrieg

54 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I was honestly just waiting for Bernard to get hurt for Kirksey to take over. It was going to take him time to learn the playbook anyhow. Bernard won't last, he's tiny

Respectfully...it's hard to overstate what an awful post this is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Very honest of you to readily admit.  You and Kirksey should go apply to the FBI.

However, such refreshing honesty just put a dent in your prospects as a politician. 😕

I sometimes have dreams I lead the Bills to their first Super Bowl win as a HC.  Randomly I meet Terry Pegula at like Wegmans, I tell him my son's flag football offense is unstoppable and he hires me on the spot.  You know, like a Disney fairy tale.

Is that being too honest?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Where can I return this Kirksey jersey?

You can't.  Just hold out for the next guy, and call 1-800-NAMEPLATES IS US.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I sometimes have dreams I lead the Bills to their first Super Bowl win as a HC.  Randomly I meet Terry Pegula at like Wegmans, I tell him my son's flag football offense is unstoppable and he hires me on the spot.  You know, like a Disney fairy tale.

Is that being too honest?

Merely proof that Aaron Rodgers gave you his mushroom supplier's phone number.

• Haha (+1) 1

Wonder if this says something really positive about Bernard in a way?

If a seasoned vet like Kirksey is watching film on Bernard and coming to the conclusion that he can't unseat him, that would be sort of impressive.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know, man.

The kid is about 225 and utterly fearless; it's a legit concern, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Wonder if this says something really positive about Bernard in a way?

If a seasoned vet like Kirksey is watching film on Bernard and coming to the conclusion that he can't unseat him, that would be sort of impressive.

Is Kirksey a coverage guy? I got the impression he was more of a run stopper and always thought he'd be role player in this D, not an every down player. For speculation on Bernard, I think this can only be viewed as a good thing. I was hoping they'd just roll with him all season anyway and let him grow through the struggles. That's the only way to turn him into the Edmunds replacement they desire.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Is Kirksey a coverage guy? I got the impression he was more of a run stopper and always thought he'd be role player in this D, not an every down player. For speculation on Bernard, I think this can only be viewed as a good thing. I was hoping they'd just roll with him all season anyway and let him grow through the struggles. That's the only way to turn him into the Edmunds replacement they desire.

I'm not sure about his athleticism at this point, but he is regarded as being extremely smart and instinctive running zones, recognizing how offenses are trying to attack and getting to exactly where he needs to be.

Here's a pretty good article pointing that up with specifics

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't know, man.

The kid is about 225 and utterly fearless; it's a legit concern, imo.

I think it was more so the "I was just waiting for Bernard to get hurt and Kirksey to take over" wording that I objected to.

Also, Kwon Alexander is 227. Fred Warner is 230. Lavonte David is 233. Matt Milano is 225.

Bernard is a bit slight, yes, but he's not tiny. His size compares reasonably well to some top flight linebackers around the league who have managed to have good to great careers.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

That's fine if you feel that way, tons of people also agree with me. Check the comments on X when they announced the Kirksey retirement. Tons of people wanted him to be the starter. 

Boldin bolted after Beane shipped out Watkins and Darby. He said that had nothing to do with it. lol That he wanted to pursue his human rights work. That it is more than football.  Sure Boldin sure.

Then weeks later tried to unretire to join a contender. Beane roadblocked that as he was mad he left Bills low on WR. 

Bills then broke the drought and made playoffs lol.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it was more so the "I was just waiting for Bernard to get hurt and Kirksey to take over" wording that I objected to.

Also, Kwon Alexander is 227. Fred Warner is 230. Lavonte David is 233. Matt Milano is 225.

Bernard is a bit slight, yes, but he's not tiny. His size compares reasonably well to some top flight linebackers around the league who have managed to have good to great careers.

I get it and kind of agree.

But there's 225 and then there's 225, and they don't always look the same

image.thumb.png.9db9e18c6b0c7098ac9e498c70c709ff.png

Fwiw, when the Bills paid Milano, my only concern was about his durability.

That concern appears to have been unfounded and I hope it is this time as well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

I get it and kind of agree.

But there's 225 and then there's 225, and they don't always look the same

image.thumb.png.9db9e18c6b0c7098ac9e498c70c709ff.png

Fwiw, when the Bills paid Milano, my only concern was about his durability.

That concern appears to have been unfounded and I hope it is this time as well.

And Milano is "bigger" now than he was as a rook and a 2nd year player. It can take time for those smaller guys. He was still an effective player in that period. Bernard is smaller than ideal, no question. But remains to be seen how much that hurts him. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And Milano is "bigger" now than he was as a rook and a 2nd year player. It can take time for those smaller guys. He was still an effective player in that period. Bernard is smaller than ideal, no question. But remains to be seen how much that hurts him. 

Milano is as much 225 as I am, his quads weigh 60lbs each.  That guy came to camp closer to 250 than 225.  I bet he plays around 235.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

AJ  never left. He was living in the super secret stadium basement.

Actually was living in the pit at the new stadium excavation (and had a naked excrement-covered visitor last weekend)

tumblr_inline_not60uuf4Q1rfjcg0_500.gif

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blank Stare said:

Hate to lose him. Great depth behind Bernard. Bernard is really small so hoping he can stay on the field all year. Don’t know that bringing back AJ Klein is the best move though. Yeah, he knows the system, but are there no other linebackers available with some athleticism on the street that are under 70 years old?

Well I see you failed 5th grade math.  How many times did you fail or can't you count that high?

Christian Kirksey did not need to retire. He could have asked to be released and try another PS or wait for someone to work if he did not want to be paid to practice and provide veteran leadership.

1 hour ago, Gisele said:

I'm jealous.  I have two years to retirement and can't go a minute earlier.  I wish I could just spring it on my bosses and walk out.

21 months for me.

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

he’s 4 pounds heavier than Milano 

"Do these white pants make my ass look fat?"

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

On the bright side it Leaves space for another acquisition…, 

Odell Hopkins!!!

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Sure you can...you just won't get whatever benefits you would be receiving from them otherwise, but you can definitely retire.  It's a free country, you aren't their slave 😂

Hey Turk, boss says to get back to work. Now.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Too many guys try to hold on too long.  Best of luck to him in the future.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Why not just sit on the Practice roster and collect $$$ rather them retiring? 

He probably hasn't been living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck.

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Where can I return this Kirksey jersey?

At this point I would hold out hope that the Bills eventually sign Christian Kirk.

40 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You think it was a……

“I am just done playing the game”

or

“If I have no shot at being a starter, I’m not sitting the bench the whole season”

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

My Luke Keuchley unretirement scheme just got one step closer to fruition. 

Hope he doesn't.  He only played  full steam and it took its toll on his he a lot so I'd rather he enjoy his retirement and hopefully his future health doesn't take a really bad turn.  It is hard to tell how much his current injury history will impact his future health no sense gambling on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.