If the Bills win tonight, does the narrative change?

ChicagoRic

I'm sure regardless of the outcome, it will change the narrative. But it shouldn't. One game, especially early on, doesn't make a season. 

Good teams have lost early games or openers and gone on to win it all. And not-so-good teams have won those games and not followed through with good seasons.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 5

KC and Cincy have had early season struggles in past years and still overcome them to make the Super Bowl, so their narratives shouldn't change all that much.

As for winner of Jets/Bills, I think if Jets win they should be considered a contender...their D is pretty amazing and they brought in some nice players. Bills narrative should remain the same, win or lose, good team that struggles to win the big playoff games (only one way to change that narrative).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The narrative means nothing.  We were the favorites for half of 2022, until we weren’t.  

In the greater scheme of things, this game isn’t THAT important.  Staying healthy, learning and improving week by week is what’s important 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I mean the question isn't will it matter in the end, which it's a division game so the result might actually be important in the end, but will it change the narrative and obviously it would. The narrative right now is the Bills regressing and being done while the Dolphins and Jets pass them to take the division. So yeah smacking the taste out the Jets mouth would send a message that you forgot who the Bills are.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

With KC and the Bengals both suffering losses, I'm super curious as to how the narrative might change.

If the Bills win, are they "re-legitimized"?

If the Jets win, are they the sudden SB favorites?

Can't wait to see how this plays out. 

I think they have been pretty legitimate all off-season, but are in the tightest division in the tighter conference and because of that 1-2 games could be the difference between Super Bowl contender vs watching playoffs from the couch 

Here's your Tuesday morning spoiler alert on the narrative in either event.

Bills lose:

"We told you, Jets are for real. Dolphins are for real and the Bills window is slammed shut. It's all over."

Bills win:

"Nice win, but you can't read too much into it. It's week one and a long season. Look, the Chiefs and Bengals both lost week 1 just like the Jets and we know Aaron Rodgers will get it figured out just like Mahomes and Burrow."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

32 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

With KC and the Bengals both suffering losses, I'm super curious as to how the narrative might change.

I forget which one, might have been mcaffe talked proactively about being excited for extreme overreactions to everything that happens week1.  It think they plan a segment to deliberately over react 😂 

59 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Jets are already SB favorites with some experts.. I think a win tonight just keeps the Bills firmly as the team to beat in the East. A loss puts you with KC and Cincy.. aka no big deal it’s 1 game on the road.. (unless it’s a blowout then people may be concerned)

the media is so deep in servicing aaron rogers and the jets that there's no way they're going to back down regardless of how tonight turns out

"The Bills may have won 73-0 with their 2nd string in the game by Q2, but the real winners tonight are obviously the new look Jets"

It's the Chris Collinsworthification of sports broadcasting

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The context of how the team looks will have a lot to do with that.... 

This. If we lose 38-7 , that will not sit well. But honestly, any loss isn’t going to sit well because it really does feed into the window has closed narrative. A highly talented team should find ways to win these tough games, not lose them. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

their D is pretty amazing

When did this statement become fact?  Their defense isn’t “pretty amazing” — it is very good.  They didn’t lead the league in anything and they haven’t done anything unprecedented at this point…all they do is talk a huge game just like their meathead coach.

I think a narrative will certainly change when the Bills hang 30 on them tonight in an embarrassing affair.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

This. If we lose 38-7 , that will not sit well. But honestly, any loss isn’t going to sit well because it really does feed into the window has closed narrative. A highly talented team should find ways to win these tough games, not lose them. 

Yup.  If it turns into a shootout like the Miami game, and the Jets come out on top at the end, it's one thing.  If the Bills come out looking flat and lethargic, then yeah we won't get another bit of national media attention this season.   It's a gut check for the Bills that I 100% expect them to pass.

Damn, I hope not. Whatever, the outcome may be, this is week 1 of a long season. I, for one, will not let the results of this week, change my outlook on the rest of the season.

Also, I hope the media keeps the stock low on the Bills, giving the team a bit of a chip on their collective shoulder.

The media narrative? No, because the Jets' story is just too good for them to give up this early. First of all, so many of the national NFL talking heads are open Jets fans. They are giddy with excitement. Greenberg and Eisen are squealing like little girls. You know all those stories about the long-suffering Bills Mafia over the past few years? Remember, there are a metric ton more long-suffering Jets fans out there and it makes for a better story. They need content, and a contending Jets team is content gold.

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

KC and Cincy have had early season struggles in past years and still overcome them to make the Super Bowl, so their narratives shouldn't change all that much.

As for winner of Jets/Bills, I think if Jets win they should be considered a contender...their D is pretty amazing and they brought in some nice players. Bills narrative should remain the same, win or lose, good team that struggles to win the big playoff games (only one way to change that narrative).

Actual two ways to change the narrative. One- The good way , win the Super Bowl Two- The bad way , miss the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

I don't want the narrative to change. I want them to write us off. I have never really cared about rankings, power rankings, talking heads opinions. Just win.

No - Bills win a close one or Bills lose a close one.

Yes - Bills win a blow out or Bills lose a blow out.

Bills are favored but many view this as a 50/50 game. But if the Bills lose it does in some ways validate that the division is not going to come easy. Winning will not change any narrative unless we just crush them. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.