If the Bills win tonight, does the narrative change?

ChicagoRic

4 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

With KC and the Bengals both suffering losses, I'm super curious as to how the narrative might change.

If the Bills win, are they "re-legitimized"?

If the Jets win, are they the sudden SB favorites?

Can't wait to see how this plays out. 

Hard to say....week one seems to be an anomaly to the way the season turns out. Week one is weird and should be held with a grain of salt. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As has been mentioned in other threads,  week 1 means very little. Regardless of if you win or lose. 4 teams started our 0-1 last year and still made the playoffs. I'm looking for good execution tonight and some motivation.  That's my narrative. 

10 teams went 1-0 and made the playoffs.  Based on this llmited data, winning the first game is a pretty strong correlation to to making the playoffs.  

4 out 16 teams who started 0-1 , 25% made the Playoffs
10 out 16 teams who started 1-0 made the playoffs, 62.5% made the playoffs. 

62.5/25 = 2.5, meaning teams winning the first game last year had a 2.5x greater chance of making the playoffs compared to teams to who lost the first game. 

the narrative for any team wont change until after week 3.

Week 1 is week 1.  You never know what will happen in a new season.

Week 2, you start to get an idea of what is going on.

week 3, you now have enough information to form an actual opinion that can be considered.

Edited by The Wiz

Narrative on Buffalo will not change until they either make the SB OR lose in playoffs OR were to miss the playoffs. The 1st scenario would show progress, 2nd would show they are the same as last few years, and 3rd would justify the regression talk.

Truthfully the pressure is on the Jets given the hype and build up with Rodgers. Outside of a shootout style loss like 31-30 or something where at Rodgers looks real and fans can be excited that the offense looks real and they just lost a good game to a good team, the narrative would get tough quick on NY if they do not win.

4 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

With KC and the Bengals both suffering losses, I'm super curious as to how the narrative might change.

No, week 1 has no impact on any narrative barring injury. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Here's your Tuesday morning spoiler alert on the narrative in either event.

Bills lose:

"We told you, Jets are for real. Dolphins are for real and the Bills window is slammed shut. It's all over."

Bills win:

"Nice win, but you can't read too much into it. It's week one and a long season. Look, the Chiefs and Bengals both lost week 1 just like the Jets and we know Aaron Rodgers will get it figured out just like Mahomes and Burrow."

This is pretty much how I think things will happen.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

We win, narrative of Bills missing their window ends and we are rightfully considered in the mix at top of AFC.

I listened to Joe Buck on the Micheal Kay show earlier. He says he likes Josh Allen and the Bills coaching and management. He says the window closing thoughts are all BS. He said the Bills are still pretty young and they have a 27 year old Josh Allen. No such thing as "window is closing". 

I din't think win or lose that it should change . Although i would love to see Josh stomp the Jets if they don't i'm not that worried about it it's the first game of the season .

What i want is by mid season to have all the kinks worked out & by the end of the season every one playing above their ability & taking it all the way to the destination but there is a lot of the season to go yet seeing as for the Bills it hasn't even started yet .

But hell yah i want the Bills to whip the crap out of the NJ Jets !! GO BILLS open up a can of whoop ass on them boys !! 

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm sure regardless of the outcome, it will change the narrative. But it shouldn't. One game, especially early on, doesn't make a season. 

Good teams have lost early games or openers and gone on to win it all. And not-so-good teams have won those games and not followed through with good seasons.

Great example is when be beat the Pats 31 to 0 to start the season and they won the SB

• Like (+1) 1

Of course.

Narratives change every week in the NFL.  The media is lost right now - the 2 darlings of the AFC lost in the 1st week, and the 2 "marquee" QB's looked kind of bad.

If Allen comes out & looks great, and the Bills win going away?  Buckle up.  The Bills will be back on top of everyone's radar.

6 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

No.

But, when you’re two top competitors go down, it’s important not to whiff yourselves! Especially, because at least 3 of the 2nd tier won! And I don’t care if the Bills win by 1 or 100, but it gives you a better grasp on reality if it wasn’t a stumbling, bumbling, fumbling W! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.