9/11/23 GAMEDAY Week 1 Bills @ Jets MNF Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

Sean McDermott vs. Aaron Rodgers

Sean McDermott’s first test since taking over as the Bills’ defensive play caller this offseason is against future Hall-of-Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

“They’re not easing me into it,” McDermott said with a smile this week.

McDermott’s history against Rodgers is mixed. According to Tru Media, Rodgers has played six games against McDermott. One was when McDermott was Philadelphia’s defensive coordinator, three were when McDermott was Carolina’s defensive coordinator and two since McDermott has taken over as Buffalo’s head coach. In those games, Rodgers is 4-2 having completed 61-percent of his passes for an average of 270 yards per game and 14 touchdowns to five interceptions. Last season, the Bills held Rodgers to 203 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in a 27-17 win.

It’s worth noting that the last two times McDermott played against Rodgers in Carolina the Panthers blitzed Rodgers on 29.6-percent of his dropbacks and then 35.1-percent of his dropbacks. In the first matchup, Rodgers completed 86-percent of his passes for 255 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions in a 38-17 win. The next matchup was a Carolina win, but Rodgers had 369 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Rodgers isn’t the same quarterback he was almost 10 years ago and it’s playing his first game with a new team. McDermott also has a different group of players in Buffalo, but the prevailing thought is that he will be a more aggressive play caller than Leslie Frazier was in terms of blitzing. We’ll see if that’s the case against Rodgers on Monday night.

Jets vs. Bills Monday Night football odds, weather forecast and predictions: Live updates "The Athletic"

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Let's hope. We know how this team plays in bad weather 😉

I just want a normal Buff primetime game. 

I do think a lot of the moves Beane made was to improve the options in bad condition games. If it does end up with rain it will show how the additions in the offensive line, big RB options and Kincaid/Harty short passing game will help Josh. I would rather that happened after a month+ as the team gets used to the new players but if tonight so be it.  Jets have to play in the same conditions with a whole new offense after all. 

Espn:

First 10 minutes why jets are serious SB contenders and all praise 

cut to bills first story: Damar Hamlin inactive tonight. Ground breaking to know our 5th option safety is inactive tonight! Someone might want to let espn know he’s not a starter and he played in preseason. He’s not inactive for health. It’s skill 

OMG I was glad to get ESPN back today, then the first thing I'm treated to is Ryan Clark on Monday Night Countdown hot taking out of the gate - the "turmoil" in the Bills offseason with Stef not "showing up" for first day minicamp and "if you're Stefon Diggs and Josh Allen is the guy to get you the footballs, tonights a bad night to not have synergy"  OMG

One positive is I realized that now I can tape the Manningcast 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Weather.com radar is showing that the rain should clear right around 8:00 pm.

https://weather.com/en-MU/weather/radar/interactive/l/c3bf3ee1fc9e595b54341ae7e24dc9cfb8f675f649d2c0f55f288e745fcc0233

Great, I'm sure footing will be wonderful.  Hopefully our sleuth equipment managers will get the cleats perfect like v. Cincy.  🙄

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

OMG I was glad to get ESPN back today, then the first thing I'm treated to is Ryan Clark on Monday Night Countdown hot taking out of the gate - the "turmoil" in the Bills offseason with Stef not "showing up" for first day minicamp and "if you're Stefon Diggs and Josh Allen is the guy to get you the footballs, tonights a bad night to not have synergy"  OMG

Aaron Rodgers coming to NY and leading the Jets to their first SB victory since 1969 would be the NFL storyline of the century. They want this so bad.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It's tv, it's a show. Drama sells and that's what Ryan Clark is doing, tune in folks there might be drama. Honestly at this point it's all talk. And I have very little doubt the Bills are ready to go. On my 4th drink so f espn and f the jets.....GO BILLS!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Could see more Harris/Murray tonight than expected. This isn’t a pound the rock with cook in this weather type of game. 

I’m so excited for Harris. If we can sign up for 0 Carries for the season for Murray I’ll be the first to pen. The guy is slow and beyond done. The other two guys are actually good. Please do not even let Murray on the field.

• Eyeroll 1